• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 is the worst 3d mario kart

finalflame

Okay, I'll bite. What do you like about Pink Gold Peach?

I can't really speak to OP, but I mean, look at her:

tumblr_n6f0wy1jf21ruc976o1_1280.png

What is there not to like? She's all I ever play.

Especially with all the racers on the track.
Thin or "normal" tracks would be a disaster.

Just feel like wider tracks have been better in games for me. Not that all thinner tracks are bad but all f zeros have decently wide tracks when compared to more narrow wiepouts.

Wipeout ps1 is narrow but feels quite a bit wider and longer on the old titles and the new ones are much tighter and I feel I barely have room to enjoy the track design.

Now, I like daytona and ridge racer but the narrow tracks aren't bad with how they drive honestly.

Motorstorm is another game that benefits from semi open parts and tracks

So, all in all I can like either for sure I am just not understanding where wider would be worse. Now, some of the better tracks in mario kart are a bit more narrow on some o the ones I ilke more so it's hard for me to say. I think mario circuit on 64 is better than the bigger slower toads turnpike for example but maybe I should see some videos of this before really saying too much more.

HIUHAU

I agree with you OP in terms of MK8 being the least funny of them.

The presentation and amount of content in the game are indisputable, but in the end races pretty much boil down to what's already said; if you manage to keep intact during the first seconds of the race you're ok to get that easy 1st or 2nd place, but if you dare being hit by anything at all right at the beggining you quickly realize 3rd place is the (hopefully) best outcome possible. This, along with pretty forgettable courses (except for Mount Wario and DLC) is what takes the fun out of this game. Friends who come over usually like the game a lot (and I think it is due to presentation), but tend to suck at it even if they were a pretty decent match in past ones. I always had this thought that I wasn't enjoying the game at its fullest for some reason, maybe because I was getting tired of Mario Kart (?), but after reading this thread and replaying it today and replaying MK64 I think that is definetely what I thought was "off" with this game.

Murugo

Glad I'm not the only one who detests the item system in MK8. This is on three accounts:

1. You can no longer store and item behind you, such as a shell or banana, and pick up another as backup. The item you get is the item you're stuck with unless you throw it away. If you're in third or above and pick up a coin, you're screwed until the next item box.
2. Item luck is not based on place, but on distance from the player in first. In previous games getting a star in second or third was unheard of. Since this is possible and even common in MK8, it ruins competition between skilled and lucky players. It doesn't matter if you have three mushrooms in 9th place, because guess what? So does everyone in front of you.
3. Bob-ombs have lost their potency. In previous games throwing a bob-omb in the proximity of someone caused it to explode immediately. Now, (from what I recall) the bomb lands, walks to the side, and then explodes after some time unless a player drives straight into it. This greatly increases the chance that you'll miss your target and run into the explosion yourself.

To me MKWii was the pinnacle of competitive play in the series, and the online was far greater for many of the reasons explained in the OP.

optimiss

That's a whole lot of wrong in one post.

For what it's worth, Mario Kart 7 is the worst 3D Mario Kart.

7 is actually my favorite. I love the addition of the long single lap courses. You have to be more on your toes when you can't remember exactly what comes next. MK8 was a letdown only having one.

I'd agree with OP if MK Wii didn't exist.

MK8 is a beautiful game visually, but a downgrade for the series in terms of gameplay. I can't believe people still defend its battle mode. That was its biggest offense. I hope the next one doesn't repeat that mistake.

But as disappointing as 8 was, I think MK Wii was still worse. I'd put 8 just above that one.

Peterc

I'd agree with OP if MK Wii didn't exist.

MK8 is a beautiful game visually, but a downgrade for the series in terms of gameplay. I can't believe people still defend its battle mode. That was its biggest offense. I hope the next one doesn't repeat that mistake.

But as disappointing as 8 was, I think MK Wii was still worse. I'd put 8 just above that one.

beside battle mode, most people agree, whats bad with the gameplay?
because, i think it's still the best.
http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=mario+kart+8&numrev=3&site=

Wii wasn't that good, but the GC DD version was even worst, but yes sunshine was also worst mario game ever.

Well for instance she is made of pink gold, which is a type of gold, and gold has allergy to vampires (sic!) so this isn't particularly nice sight to me.

Seriously, did you know some people's sweat destroys gold far faster than others'?

On a non-vampire note... no, I simply don't get it. I mean, baby characters are more of an eyesore, but still. Unless you're trolling others with her, in which case, keep going.

Sakujou

Banned
mk64 and mkds were the best ever created. mk8 hadn't been extensively played by me, but calling this game the worst.... you must be a mad man.

beside battle mode, most people agree, whats bad with the gameplay?
because, i think it's still the best.
http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=mario+kart+8&numrev=3&site=

Wii wasn't that good, but the GC DD version was even worst, but yes sunshine was also worst mario game ever.

OP did a good job explaining what's wrong with the gameplay. The changes to items were particularly bad.

Agree to disagree. I thought DD was one of the best in the series, the partner mechanic is the most innovative feature the series has ever added. I had a blast playing that co-op with friends and family.

xboxster

Battle mode sucks, but not as much as the way karts handle in Double Dash.

I applaud the experimental Gamecube era, but seriously, each game in this time frame is disappointing. Sunshine, Double Dash, Wind Waker...

Battle mode sucks, but not as much as the way karts handle in Double Dash.
What, you mean with actual weight, heft, and traction you had to manage, instead of power sliding around everywhere like you're racing on ice? Double Dash is maybe the best game in the series.

Lorcain

I can't imagine a world where MK8 isn't considered one of the best games of the current generation of consoles, and one of the best co-op party games. This game helped bring a jaded gamer like me back to the simple joys of gaming.

I can't believe that you put that much time and effort into making such an terribly misguided thread OP! Can't get knocked off the track? Are you sure you played MK8???

There are many magical moments in Mario Kart 8 when MarioKartGAF got together and do the session together. There are a lot of bullshit moments there and sometimes we would get mariokart'd pretty hard.

The GIF I provided isn't best example of the magical moments but it's one of those bullshit moment for Enforced. ;P

L2Alzhj.gif

Also, if people didn't know that we have Mario Kart GAF Community so feel free to visit the thread if some people are interested.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120110&page=58
I once got knocked from 1st to 12th a foot from the finish line on Wario Stadium by an endless succession of shitty items. I tired to save the video of my pain for posterity but Nintendo must have felt so guilty that they wiped it from the server before I could get to it :mad:

This guy knows what's up *brofist*

Codeblue

Disagree with the thread premise. I love Mario Kart 8, but that's not why I'm posting.

Listen, I don't care if you can't appreciate Double Dash like I can. I don't care if you can't recognize Bob-omb Blast as the best battle mode of all time. None of that matters. Even if you despise everything about Double Dash, there's no way you can call it the worst in a world where MK Wii exists.

Bakkus

With the exception of your character roster complaint, I can't agree. Only other complaint I have is that there are no sequence breaking shortcuts which are hard to master and a crazy risk reward like in Mario Kart Wii. Otherwise it's pretty close to perfect.

Sulik2

The only mode that has ever mattered in Mario Kart is battle mode, MK8 has the worst Battle Mode therefor MK8 is the worst Mario Kart.

What the fuck...? I've never disagreed with anyone more on a Nintendo game. For me, it's my favorite Mario kart right there next to 64. Yeah... OP sounds salty as hell. The game is gorgeous and so much fun to play. I love drifting and knocking people off the track. MK8 is the only reason I'm glad I own a Wii U.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Actual track racing design is bad once you get beyond the amazing set dressing and presentation.

This alone knocks it down a few pegs.

Skyzard

Banned
Loved 7, DS and 64 (at the time). After a while double dash grew on me... I had some fun with the WiiU version because of the art - but a lot of the tracks had quite boring layouts and the driving wasn't fun really. Playing with GAF gave me my moneys worth though.

ffdgh

You claim that breaking away from the pack at the start is important, and then say the characters with the absolute slowest acceleration in the game have an unfair advantage.

Funny thing is he's not wrong...heavies do indeed have the best speed and acceleration combos in the game ironically and invalidates just about anything light weights could pull off outside of handling and off road. Doesn't help that acceleration tiers makes things worse.

2-2.75 accel are the same
3-3.75 accel are the same
4-4.75 accel are the same
etc
Plus there being hidden stats too making things even more lopsided for heavies.

Ahh having 7 weight classes was a mistake lol.

Good taste.

I'll just add another point here and say that 30fps local racing SUCKS. I didn't think 30fps would be that big of a deal, but it seems to play like ass in split screen mode.

And split screen is one of the most important things to me in these games. I seriously can barely manage it, it's sad. 60fps Double Dash was glorious.

I agree that the character roster in this game is weak, but other than that I think it's a fantastic game and is easily the best Mario Kart for me personally. Also for the record I've never cared much for battle mode so the fact that's it's pretty shit in this game didn't really bother me much.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Mario Kart 8 is the best kart racer ever. You all need to hold that.

This thread reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend who was convinced Super Mario Kart was the best one when MK7 came out. We had a bit of back and forth about it but with Mario Kart 8 we both agree it's thd best one.

I find the tracks gorgeous, some have plenty going on in them, the online works flawlessly, the items have never been more balanced, and the roster after DLc is pretty great even if it's missing a few characters.

Bgamer90

Banned
Glad I'm not the only one who detests the item system in MK8. This is on three accounts:

1. You can no longer store and item behind you, such as a shell or banana, and pick up another as backup. The item you get is the item you're stuck with unless you throw it away. If you're in third or above and pick up a coin, you're screwed until the next item box.
2. Item luck is not based on place, but on distance from the player in first. In previous games getting a star in second or third was unheard of. Since this is possible and even common in MK8, it ruins competition between skilled and lucky players. It doesn't matter if you have three mushrooms in 9th place, because guess what? So does everyone in front of you.
3. Bob-ombs have lost their potency. In previous games throwing a bob-omb in the proximity of someone caused it to explode immediately. Now, (from what I recall) the bomb lands, walks to the side, and then explodes after some time unless a player drives straight into it. This greatly increases the chance that you'll miss your target and run into the explosion yourself.

To me MKWii was the pinnacle of competitive play in the series, and the online was far greater for many of the reasons explained in the OP.

I don't understand these criticisms at all to be honest. They sound like complaints about items not helping you win the game. The items and A.I. in Mario Kart Wii for example was VERY cheap.

Mario Kart 8 is close to the perfect balance of items and rewarding good racing. Previous 3D Mario Karts (especially Wii) was far more about catch-up items. I (again) don't understand how that's a positive. Good racing needs to be rewarded and that wasn't the case in Mario Kart Wii.

Leatherface

Also, I am GLAD they got rid of the ability to collect an additional item while you already have one. It makes you race smarter. You can't just rely on having ass protection while also having weapons to fire in front. Now you are forced to decide what is most important. That is an ENHANCEMENT.

I don't understand these criticisms at all to be honest. They sound like complaints about items not helping you win the game. The items and A.I. in Mario Kart Wii for example was VERY cheap.

Mario Kart 8 is close to the perfect balance of items and rewarding good racing. Previous 3D Mario Karts (especially Wii) was far more about catch-up items. I (again) don't understand how that's a positive. Good racing needs to be rewarded and that wasn't the case in Mario Kart Wii.

Removing the back-up item was probably the best decision ever. MKWii went one of two ways when you were at first place: you either got hit by everything and lost; or you always had a back-up item to defend from items from behind and won. Not having that safety net makes you have to play smarter and be more quick to react. It's also why I defend the coin item, even if it might appear a little too often. It makes the player in first more vulnerable considering everyone who's bunched behind him is more likely to hit each other.

Let me try to help you understand. In Mario kart 8, it is a very common occurrence, in almost every race, as multiple other posters besides me have confirmed, that heavy characters have the best stats and after you get hit by something, the items are not good enough to help you make a comeback. Good racing has nothing to do with getting hit, because you will be hit eventually. I guess you want to stay in 10th place for the rest of the race after the first lap and watch rosalina and metal Mario win every race with their heavy, cheap asses, because "we have to reward good racing." The 👏item👏balance👏is👏shit👏

Raitaro

I have to agree with the OP's overall negative sentiment. I've never been able to put my finger on the main reason(s) precisely - apart from the indeed very wide and often quite boring tracks, its lame roster and shitty battle mode, but it's definitely the only MK game I've not had much interest in after the first few weeks. The whole game feels very shallow for some reason.

I wish the series would go back to focusing more on the racing aspect using basic karts instead of on gimmicks like hangliders and underwater parts. None of the later games ever gave me the feeling I'm actually racing a kart across tarmac while using items here and there. Instead they all focus so much on kart customisation, kart and level gimmicks, visual fidelity (in 8 at least) and online multiplayer that, for me, the act of actual racing becomes buried a bit.

That said, as long as others seem to still be enjoying this series as it is, I guess I'm out of luck and will have to keep crossing my fingers for Nintendo to develop a new F-Zero again to fulfill my craving for more pure, snappy and technical racing that the first few MK's also had in spades despite their cartoony facade and items.

Daouzin

I'm too offended at this notion to read through all the posts in this thread. Mario Kart 8 is sooooooooo much better than Mario Kart Wii. MK Wii was such a mess, especially compared to Double Dash which was the previous release. Not only that, but the DLC packs for Mario Kart have been so cheap and easily worth the price.

Double Dash is bar far the best Mario Kart, but Mario Kart 8 is even better than 64.

Edit: Feel like my last line comes off kind of random without this, so here you go.

Console Mario Karts
S+ Tier: Double Dash
A Tier: Mario Kart 8
B Tier: Mario Kart 64, SNES Mario Kart
F Tier: Mario Kart Wii

Nessus

I don't get why Nintendo never bothered to add traditional Battle Mode arenas via DLC. That would have addressed my only (though pretty significant) complaint with the game.

Top Bottom