• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the party: Final Fantasy X-2

Red Scarlet

Hey Bebpo, help me out with X2 Intl; I've had it for almost a year now and have no clue what I am doing in that tower place.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
FFunit said:
totally agreed and the same things happened to me. FFX and FFX-2 killed my interest in RPG games, ironic because the same rpg series made me interest in them...Final Fantasy.
There ARE other RPGs besides Final Fantasy, you know.

Shouta

demi said:
Noooo...

You're making a big deal about Magna Carta for some reason, awfully defensive. Are you sure you don't like it?

Why not look over my post history about it?

Himuro said:
Where? Which post? Demi or FFunit?

I'm just in agreement with the laughing smile. It always seems funny to me that one game can turn off someone from an entire gen they liked despite there being many other alternatives in the genre. Can't like them all.

demi

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I'm just in agreement with the laughing smile. It always seems funny to me that one game can turn off someone from an entire gen they liked despite there being many other alternatives in the genre.

That so wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Hey Bebpo, help me out with X2 Intl; I've had it for almost a year now and have no clue what I am doing in that tower place.

Need more detail on what you need to know. I barely remember the thing at this point ^^;

No faqs for it on gamefaqs?

Red Scarlet

I have no idea what I'm trying to do, and how to do it. I have never played a grid-based 'dungeon crawler' type game before so it's very wtf. I think I somehow got to the 3rd floor then died after about 5 tries.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Worst game ever. How anyone could stomach the yuna popstar moment is beyond me. I am still mentally scarred.

This game was nothing more than a quick cash in and actually detracts from the greatness of FFX.

Skullkid

This game was a cheap attempt to cash-in on the franchise. There were only a few new areas in the entire game.

I should have saved my money and played through FFX again. I would have enjoyed it more.

FFunit said:
FFunit
It Came From GameFAQs
(Today, 05:06 PM)
Originally Posted by Himuro:
FFIX = funnest FF. Period.

fixed

AHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA FF9?! WTH Can I have some of that crack you're smoking that must be some great shit

Mau ®

I loved FFX-2. It was fast, fun and non-pretentious game.

Is better than FFX? HELL NO. Is it a good game? Yes it is.

X-2 had the burden of carrying the name of the sacrosanct RPG series Final Fantasy. Had it been a new IP it would have been praised for such bold attempt but as a FF game....

Anyway I loved the game. That's all that matters.

FFunit

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
DarkAngelYuna
(Today, 01:40 AM)

Reply | Quote AHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA FF9?! WTH Can I have some of that crack you're smoking that must be some great shit

OIC

callous

So many people missing out on some of the very best RPG gameplay this generation, many of them because they can't look past the opening. Ah well.

Absolutely my favourite RPG this gen. Unless I'm allowed to count Growlanser II.

Tarazet

callous said:
So many people missing out on some of the very best RPG gameplay this generation, many of them because they can't look past the opening. Ah well.

Absolutely my favourite RPG this gen. Unless I'm allowed to count Growlanser II.

You are, sir. You are not, however, permitted to mention FFX-2 and a Growlanser game in the same sentence. :mad:

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I have no idea what I'm trying to do, and how to do it. I have never played a grid-based 'dungeon crawler' type game before so it's very wtf. I think I somehow got to the 3rd floor then died after about 5 tries.

Well since I can't remember it much, I'll hook up my PS2 later and mess around with the game again and it should all come back to me. Then I'll pm you on how to play.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I loved FFX-2. Very fun, upbeat game, but I was quite skeptical at first.
I played it right after completing FFX and I dunno, I just loved it. The fast battles were great.

Ranger X

Ryudo said:
Worst game ever. How anyone could stomach the yuna popstar moment is beyond me. I am still mentally scarred.

This game was nothing more than a quick cash in and actually detracts from the greatness of FFX.

So true! And the game is also too "girl power" for me. Guys are retarded in this game.
And where's the compelling story? I wanted a following of small quest i would play Diablo or something.
I'm still shocked at this game. It really is a carefully planned focus group game and one of the worse/shallow ever. I'm sure they just came up with key elements, trendy one that would sell a game easily and just figured some way to put them all together to the brainwashed/no personality/i follow what other tells me it's ala mode/retarded even if it
does not make a good game in the end (imo). No shame really, i'm sure they even asked
psychologists about the content and how to put it so people would dig the game.
(ok maybe not that far lol)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Himuro said:
Since when do all rpgs need a compelling story?

Compelling stories are the icing, IMHO, but not required. I haven't played through FFX-2, so I won't be talking about it, but even RPGs with "bad" stories should have SOMETHING you can latch on to, even if it is as minor as a character you REALLY love.

Grandia 2, and to a much greater degree, Grandia Xtreme both had bad to terrible stories with OK to NO character development. But I consider both to be FANTASTIC RPGs, amongst my favorites ever.

Ranger X

Himuro said:
Since when do all rpgs need a compelling story?

They never did. Final Fantasy series does since the second/third one though.
FFX-2 being marketed as a sequel to a traditional RPG with compelling story, you actually expect it be the following of that RPG. Since FF10 was having a compelling story, FFX-2 should. They didn't make us a sequel, they THREW us a sequel.

cvxfreak

I think Pokemon is the winning example of an RPG with no story.

Up to 10% now! :)

I guess I'll end 2005 with a Final Fantasy bang. FFIVA come to me.

Tarazet

Mejilan said:
Compelling stories are the icing, IMHO, but not required. I haven't played through FFX-2, so I won't be talking about it, but even RPGs with "bad" stories should have SOMETHING you can latch on to, even if it is as minor as a character you REALLY love.

Grandia 2, and to a much greater degree, Grandia Xtreme both had bad to terrible stories with OK to NO character development. But I consider both to be FANTASTIC RPGs, amongst my favorites ever.

I loved Grandia 2's story myself..

A compelling story is a requirement for me, and any RPG that I don't think makes the cut, I won't play and ultimately won't keep. That's why I got rid of Romancing SaGa and that's why I'm not partaking in the DQ8 hype.

Ranger X

sonarrat said:
I loved Grandia 2's story myself..

A compelling story is a requirement for me, and any RPG that I don't think makes the cut, I won't play and ultimately won't keep. That's why I got rid of Romancing SaGa and that's why I'm not partaking in the DQ8 hype.

While not having the most detailed story ever, DQ8 is no DQ7 mind you...

Wyzdom, I know this may blow your mind, but FFX-2 was absolutely NOT focus tested--it was EXACTLY the game the team wanted to make, without any pressure or outside influence from management, expectations, etc.

Everyone on it has said it was the most fun they ever had making a game project.

Ranger X

JackFrost2012 said:
Wyzdom, I know this may blow your mind, but FFX-2 was absolutely NOT focus tested--it was EXACTLY the game the team wanted to make, without any pressure or outside influence from management, expectations, etc.

Everyone on it has said it was the most fun they ever had making a game project.

Well, i meant it looks/feel like it. I don't care if it's real or not and i actually didn't take the time to check. It could be true and it could be false (the Square guys being told to say otherwise) and in the end it render our little investigation pretty much useless.
The focus group game pre-made out of studies is the feel i get from their final product.
It also make sense business wise (almost no game design, same engine, re-use the name of a popular game etc, fullfill the dream of a FF sequels that fan craved for), this game is pure business gold when you look at it this way.
Kudos for them if they were honest but omg, they didn't got/convinced me that's for sure.

Wyzdom said:
Well, i meant it looks/feel like it. I don't care if it's real or not and i actually didn't take the time to check. It could be true and it could be false (the Square guys being told to say otherwise) and in the end it render our little investigation pretty much useless.

I'm 100% sure it's true, fwiw. Believe me or don't, but they enjoyed making it (and I enjoyed playing it). They liked it because they made the game they wanted to make, not the game that whiny RPG fans DEMANDED they make. Hooray for developer freedom!

JackFrost2012 said:
FFX-2 rules, haters are insecure in their sexuality, lovers enjoy comedyxgameplay explosion
It's true!

Also, the "real ending" is not intended to be the "real ending" at all. The ending you're happy with is the ending for you. The 100% ending has Yuna
obsessed over Tidus and unable to let go of him, so she has one last delusion of him. The behavior required to get this ending is indeed obsessive, which is fitting. The "normal" ending has Yuna letting go of Tidus and moving on with her new life and new friends.
The way the story ends is up to the player's desire. I believe the developers have stated as much (duck, JackFrost, help?).

JackFrost2012 said:
Believe me or don't, but they enjoyed making it
Well, I'm glad somebody had fun! Tohohoho.

Hey look, I found my old FFX-2 review!

When I visited the Tokyo Game Show this past September, I asked the representative at the Square booth where the announced Final Fantasy X Side Stories were. “We’re not ready to show anything related to that product,” she said – but when I walked to the Square merchandise booth to pick up some swag, I noticed that one of the items on sale was an untitled poster featuring Yuna – FFX’s demure summoner – holding a pair of pistols and wearing a skimpy, sexy outfit. Behind her stood two shadowed female companions. We learned weeks later that it was the first piece of production art for Final Fantasy X-2, which would re-use the graphic engine from FFX to create the first ever storyline sequel in the series’ history.

I wasn’t sure what to think. You see, opinion has been sharply divided on the last few Final Fantasy games. Some contend that Final Fantasy IX – where Square went back to the series’ medieval-adventure roots and ditched the angsty, overwrought science-fiction plots of the previous two games – was the best of the recent installments. Others found FFIX to be too shallow and derivative, opting for the forward-looking VII and VIII. Still others hate every Final Fantasy game produced on a Sony system. Final Fantasy X-2 won’t be ameliorating this split – far from it, in fact, since it diverges more from the established Final Fantasy formula than any previous game.

The first thing you’ll notice is the character design, or rather, the costume design. Yuna’s is tight cotton and clinging denim, exposed cleavage and taut buttock flesh; one memorable scene early in the game pans the camera between her thighs as she dangles from a cliff, a close-up of her panty-covered crotch filling the shot. Rikku, FFX’s scantily dressed 15-year-old, returns nearly naked in X-2, trading in her skimpy top and low-rider shorts for a string bikini and a skirt that folded in half would make a fine belt. Newcomer Paine is clad in dominatrix black and metal with a studded dog collar and skull jewelry.

The costume change for Yuna and company comes with a change in lifestyle: after defeating Sin, Yuna and Rikku find a video sphere that apparently depicts Tidus, trapped away in a cage and shouting to get out. So the girls join with some of Rikku’s Al Bhed friends and become a group of “sphere hunters” who call themselves The Gullwings. They search the world for leftover spheres, hoping to find some that will lead them towards Tidus. Along the way, they meet up with Leblanc’s Syndicate, a rival group of sphere hunters, and two youth foundations who are trying to establish new political orders in the newly-peaceful Spira. The plot in general seems thrown together – a brief, tacked-on addition to the FFX plot for no reason other than this game needed one.

Costumes also figure heavily into FFX-2’s gameplay. Much like the Job Change system of FFV, what we have here is the Dress Up system – upon finding new Dress Sp, the girls must place them into Result Plates that hold a number of different spheres, then equip the Plate to get access to all of those jobs. You can (and, at times, must) switch jobs in the middle of a battle; this can create some tense situations since the battles have returned to the Active Time system employed in previous FFs and have actually been sped up quite a bit. Of course, in their zest to make the battles faster and more exciting than FFX’s slow-paced, strategy-intensive fights, the designers made the battles far too easy. Too many battles can be won by simply holding down the O button. Once you find the girls’ super-powered Special Dress Spheres and power them up a little bit, even the final boss battles can be won by rubber-banding the controller.

Those super-powered spheres aren’t found on sidequests; they’re part of the main storyline. Of course, that main storyline actually accounts for less than fifty percent of the game. Since FFX-2 simply reuses all of the areas from FFX, exploring the world in a linear fashion would be pointless. So instead, you have the run of the world from the very beginning of the game.

If you follow the Active Links on the airship map, you can complete the missions that will bring you closer to the end of the game. But if you strike off on your own you can and will find sidequests that will nab you extra spheres, items, and interesting plot points. Once you complete the Active Link missions and advance the Story Level, all new sidequests will open up in the previous areas. Since it’s unlikely you’ll catch everything at first, FFX-2 offers a New Game Plus mode – a staple of the Chrono series but never before seen in Final Fantasy.

In fact, that’s almost this game’s motto, nearly its raison d’être – it is unlike any previous FF game. I’m not sure how you’ll feel, but I was completely turned off by the characters – teenage girls running around in skimpy outfits, constantly getting into Charlie’s Angels poses, giggling like idiots, and trading girly high-fives doesn’t really suggest Final Fantasy to me. FFX-2 positively drips with sticky gobs of fanservice. Yes, I laughed at some of the bad jokes. But… at what cost to the integrity of the series?

Another new addition is the fact that Yuna can jump and climb ledges with the X button. (This plus her dual-gun weaponry caused Japanese game magazine Famitsu to label FFX-2 “Yuna Raider.) Sadly, Yuna can’t jump around at will – only when she is right next to a jumpable or climbable ledge will she jump. Timing and aim are not important, which in and of itself would make this additional “feature” nearly pointless. But even worse is the fact that unclimbable ledges look exactly like climbable ones, forcing you to run around humping all of the walls while hitting the X button.

The few new areas that have been included are tiny, almost embarrassingly simple affairs, a far cry from the deep, complex FF dungeons of old. The music is entirely new, but although certain tracks have merit, quite a bit of it is flavorless dance music, whether you’re exploring dark caves or watching Yuna give one of her two J-pop concerts. I found those songs, by minor talent Kumi Koda, rather unimpressive – decent hooks, yes, but nowhere near as ambitious or as memorable as Melodies of Life or even Eyes on Me.

In the end, FFX-2 is exactly as envisioned: a cheaply-made, cost-effective sequel to FFX that reuses the graphics, characters, enemies, and areas to create a mostly new gameplay experience. You might love it, you might really, really hate it – or like me, you might be torn between the fun (if short and easy) gameplay experience and the fact that you’re groaning every five minutes over the bad jokes and bouncing breasts. If you’ve been experiencing a growing displeasure with the Final Fantasy series over the past few years, FFX-2 won’t bring you back into the fold.
3/5

I always love to get the chance to say these things...

1. Embarassing to play around ANYONE.

2. Mediocre gameplay in every way possible. The game is broken at Orlandu levels here. And yes I know you don't HAVE to use Orlandu, but he's there.

3. Music that plays for 15 seconds and repeats infinitely. If you don't believe me, find out for yourself. No effort was put into it at all. This doesn't count the two lyrical songs.

4. Not really much of a storyline. I want to play an RPG, not a slam bam thank you ma'am add on to FFX's story.

5. Girl power is okay in small doses, but this is the most embarassing shit in gaming history. I think playing Barbie games would make me feel less gay.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
DarknessTear said:

1. Embarassing to play around ANYONE.

2. Mediocre gameplay in every way possible. The game is broken at Orlandu levels here. And yes I know you don't HAVE to use Orlandu, but he's there.

3. Music that plays for 15 seconds and repeats infinitely. If you don't believe me, find out for yourself. No effort was put into it at all. This doesn't count the two lyrical songs.

4. Not really much of a storyline. I want to play an RPG, not a slam bam thank you ma'am add on to FFX's story.

5. Girl power is okay in small doses, but this is the most embarassing shit in gaming history. I think playing Barbie games would make me feel less gay.
game is bad, but not because it's embarassing to play wtf kind of logic is that?

I'd say it's good logic. What's the point of playing a game that makes you embarassed? It managed to piss me off quite a bit when my brother was like "WHAT IS THIS SHIT?" :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If you get embarassed playing video games, you might want to consider a new hobby. Lol.

Error

DarknessTear said:
I'd say it's good logic. What's the point of playing a game that makes you embarassed? It managed to piss me off quite a bit when my brother was like "WHAT IS THIS SHIT?" :lol
pfft tell your brother to fuck off if he doesn't like it.

Mejilan said:
If you get embarassed playing video games, you might want to consider a new hobby. Lol.

I only get embarassed when Yuna swings her arms around when she runs like a male homosexual and when they do the lesbianish voices + girl power + the opening song and CG which is full of corny girly pop-ness to the max.

Error

DarknessTear said:
I only get embarassed when Yuna swings her arms around when she runs like a male homosexual and when they do the lesbianish voices + girl power + the opening song and CG which is full of corny girly pop-ness to the max.
when she runs like a male homosexual? but she is a girl man what the fuck did you expect?

I would have throw my controller in disgust if she started running like a guy.

demi

DarknessTear said:

1. Embarassing to play

2. Mediocre gameplay in every way possible.

3. Music that plays for 15 seconds and repeats infinitely.

4. Not really much of a storyline.

5. this is the most embarassing shit in gaming history.

wild20arms6lu.jpg

B00004S9AC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

b00007llae08lzzzzzzz5qt.jpg

wildarmsaltercodef3ic.jpg

wildarms4title0nt.jpg

5 for 5

Error2k4 said:
when she runs like a male homosexual? but she is a girl man what the fuck did you expect?

I would have throw my controller in disgust if she started running like a guy.

Girls do not run like that. Not with their arms swinging around like that. So yeah, MALE homosexual. :lol

Edit: Yeah demi it's inevitable you'd mention Wild Arms. Go eat a dick. Wild Arms is nowhere near as bad as FFX-2.

Top Bottom