• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Producer Yoshi-P Says It May Be Time for the Younger Generation to Handle Final Fantasy XVII

Go_Ly_Dow

I'll make a bet on Naoki Hamaguchi (Rebirth Director) being the director of 17. He's one of the younger high up devs at S-E. He should be more free'd up after Rebirth releases if Nomura is going to finish the trilogy.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dude, it’s litetally fucking rated high in both user and published scores. Your opinion is the minority flat out and again, as a statement of fact however, it’s wrong.

As an opinion sure, your right, it’s your opinion after all. Having an opinion is fine, but its so overwhelmingly the minority you have to step back and just stop.
I do not care about scores. I care about the games and the franchise itself. It is the story, the soul of Final Fantasy that matters to me most. There is more to games then ratings and sales data. I wouldn't expect you to understand. You may bury yourself with your statistics if it helps you sleep at night.

Synless

I do not care about scores. I care about the games and the franchise itself. It is the story, the soul of Final Fantasy that matters to me most. There is more to games then ratings and sales data. I wouldn't expect you to understand. You may bury yourself with your statistics if it helps you sleep at night.
Thats why it’s your opinion, a feeling, nothing more and you are trying to pass it as fact that a game in the series is bad when overwhelmingly It isn’t considered that way.

Let me know when you can quantifiably show me I’m wrong, we can talk then. Otherwise keep dreaming a bunch of people agree with you when it’s really a few in the grand scheme of things.

One last thing, no matter how this text reads or my past comments read, I say all of this with zero condescension towards you. I just can’t get behind people doubling down on ”my truths” when data and supporting information shows it’s wrong.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Thats why it’s your opinion, a feeling, nothing more and you are trying to pass it as fact that a game in the series is bad when overwhelmingly It isn’t considered that way.

Let me know when you can quantifiably show me I’m wrong, we can talk then. Otherwise keep dreaming a bunch of people agree with you when it’s really a few in the grand scheme of things.

One last thing, no matter how this text reads or my past comments read, I say all of this with zero condescension towards you. I just can’t get behind people doubling down on ”my truths” when data and supporting information shows it’s wrong.
If the games aren't bad then there wouldn't be any division between them. And yet there is. You can look at your spreadsheets all you want but the fact of the matter is in XVI's case many elements that make up a Final Fantasy game are completely missing.

And on the contrary you are being very condescending by saying the ratings claim otherwise and then go straight to being dismissive and yet you only need to look at media outlets to see the divide between them.

If you had an argument you would be able to explain why you feel games such as 13, 15, 16 are great despite their shortcomings yet you have not. You have grown too accustomed to letting a plethora of reviews and ratings speak for you.

It's perfectly fair to say you absolutely loved these games but there are others such as myself who clearly do not and have their reasons for doing so. There is no shame in that.

Now if all that matters is ratings then sure the games are great. Just look at XIV. Must be perfect having 20+ million sales. Which isn't true given it does have it's flaws. And there wouldn't be XIV drama every week about something but there is. But the drama is there because people care about the game. People are often critical about their favorite games not because they hate them but because they want them to be the best they can be. That's all.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
When they say young they mean Japanese millennials I assume.
I agree if that's the case because their inspiration will be the PSX & PS2 FF's

8cb8yt.jpg

FF Fans
south park mob GIF

The next FF should just do what Atlus is doing for Metaphor:ReFantazio and give you the option of either turn based or action.

Then a year later they should release the statistics of how many people played in each style.

Last edited:

Synless

If the games aren't bad then there wouldn't be any division between them. And yet there is. You can look at your spreadsheets all you want but the fact of the matter is in XVI's case many elements that make up a Final Fantasy game are completely missing.

And on the contrary you are being very condescending by saying the ratings claim otherwise and then go straight to being dismissive and yet you only need to look at media outlets to see the divide between them.

If you had an argument you would be able to explain why you feel games such as 13, 15, 16 are great despite their shortcomings yet you have not. You have grown too accustomed to letting a plethora of reviews and ratings speak for you.

It's perfectly fair to say you absolutely loved these games but there are others such as myself who clearly do not and have their reasons for doing so. There is no shame in that.

Now if all that matters is ratings then sure the games are great. Just look at XIV. Must be perfect having 20+ million sales. Which isn't true given it does have it's flaws. And there wouldn't be XIV drama every week about something but there is. But the drama is there because people care about the game. People are often critical about their favorite games not because they hate them but because they want them to be the best they can be. That's all.
I’ll sum this up.

First, division doesn’t mean anything. There isn’t single topic in this god given planet that doesn’t have division of opinion. Never once does it mean it’s bad. However the division leans heavily to the positive, not the negative you want it to be.

Me saying ratings matter doesn’t mean it’s condescending. That’s what data is, evidence to use towards a conclusion. User scores are opinions, as are media. I’m accounting for both but you are stating otherwise. You don’t have that yet you’re here debating with me. Biggest mistaken in your logic is thinking I base my opinion off others. Reviews have rarely, if ever stopped or driven me to buy a game at least on day one. My minds made up on that long before games come out. Occasionally people sell me on a game I was on the fence about. HOWEVER, other people’s opinions do matter in the context of an argument where people are acting like a product sucks when clearly, the majority disagre (why is this so hard for people to understand?)

13 (only one universally rated shit), 14, 15, and 16 I don’t need to make arguments about. I said they have a range of quality, The opinions of players, and critics say they range from pretty good to fantastic as I stated in my very first statement back that up.

Im not shaming you or others, if you feel ashamed, maybe self reflect. I am stating you are factually wrong that overall, by popular consensus they are anything other than really good to fantastic games.

Also, don’t conflate flaws with overall quality. They are not the same thing. One is an input and the other is an overall output. You wishing FFXVI turned out the way you wanted doesn’t stop the fact that many more other people were happy with it overall.

Go_Ly_Dow

The next FF should just do what Atlus is doing for Metaphor:ReFantazio and give you the option of either turn based or action.

Then a year later they should release the statistics of how many people played in each style.
I don't think that Metaphor is giving a choice from what I've read and seen? Just that you can damage enemies using manual attacks before going into a turnbased battle.

I don't think that Metaphor is giving a choice from what I've read and seen? Just that you can damage enemies using manual attacks before going into a turnbased battle.
If true then that's a shame. I was hoping they'd be bold and give the option to switch between 2 styles.

Go_Ly_Dow

Make 17 cross-gen I say, as every time a new numbered FF releases the install base is quite small, especially when it's exclusive to one platform. No need to make it exclusive to next gen when games scale up and down so well now. Make the PS5 version the low spec version, Pro mid spec version, PS6 high spec.

With 16 it was 1.5 years of pre-planning just after 15 was out, so around early 2018 the planning was done and pre-production began. About 4-5 years of dev time post conceptualisation.

Assuming a similar time frame: pre-planning on 17 should be begining just about now and finished by early 2025. Then a 4-5 year development and it should be ready for early PS6 (assuming PS6 is out 2028 and 17 is ready for 2029-2030).

My guess is for how FF will look over the next 5 years is:

2024: FF7 Rebirth
2024/2025: FF Tactics Remake
2025: FF9 Remake
2026: nothing big
2027/2028: FF7 R-final
2028/2029: FF10 Remake (the supposed leaker/insider said 2026, but surely no chance)
2029-2030: FF17

I'll make a bet on Naoki Hamaguchi (Rebirth Director) being the director of 17. He's one of the younger high up devs at S-E. He should be more free'd up after Rebirth releases if Nomura is going to finish the trilogy.
To add:

d0MmMPz.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom