• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the party: Final Fantasy X-2

cvxfreak

I was never invited to the party either, but I just dropped in because it looked cheap. ($14.99)

OMGWTF THE GAME DOESN'T SUCK!

Honestly. I first saw the intro video back in early 2003 during the Japanese release, and thought it was ridiculous for a FF game. So I decided not to get it. But, when I finally began to play the game and saw the ATB system, I was actually having fun. :lol

The graphics are pretty, but obviously a little outdated. The music is very different from traditional FFs, but we all knew that. Still, 1000 Words is a good song, and that's why I decided to buy the game in the first place. Has anyone heard the Koda Kumi English version? :lol :lol :lol

I'm about a whopping 7% in, but I think I'm going to finish this game.

-_- at getting this game before a certain other one.

You stupid sentimental son of bitch ;p

BTW, I thought FFX-2 was a waste, and I was (at the time of playing it) a Final Fantasy fanboy.

Play Shadow Hearts and/or Shadow Hearts Covenant instead. Just as cheap, 20x's better.

Bebpo

Banned
FFX-2 is a really good non-traditional, non-linear game but it tends to be a love/hate thing. The gameplay is excellent, and the story is fine. Lots of stuff to do, and tons of hidden things to collect in typical FF style.

Have fun with it!

Both FFX-2 and Shadow Hearts are unopened on my shelf. Just got Dragon Quest 8 yesterday, and I still had the earlier bought Devil Digital Saga still unopened and slew others....I have a sickness. :(

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I didn't mind FFX-2 so much. Sure there was that whole Charlie's Angels thing going, but the game came off as satire to me, acknowledging that previous installments took themselves way too seriously. I actually chuckled, and enjoyed the dialogue a lot more in this game than in other more recent FFs.

Shouta

I've been playing it myself and it's awesome. Easily in my Top 10 PS2 RPGs if not my Top 5. Great gameplay and a pretty solid story overall. The only annoying things would be Rikku and Brother, gawd those two are awful (Brother more so than Rikku).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I remember I bought this game play it for 3 hours and returned it, I just couldn't get into the game it didn't help the fact that I absolutely hated FFX's world so revisiting the same world in FFX-2 didn't excite me. the only good thing bout the game IMO is the battle system. shitty music, stupid story, didn't like the characters at all. FFX killed a lot of the enthusiasm I had for playing RPGs when I played FFX-2 it extinguished the little enthusiasm I had, that is of course till SMT:N came :)

Amir0x

Banned
I hated almost everything about it EXCEPT the battle system. Wow, what a great battle system. Blazing fast and everything I could want. So weird it's in a game like this, but I wish it was adopted in more games

Tamanon

Banned
I <3 FF X-2. Probably my fourth favorite RPG on the system after Nocturne and the DDSs. Great gameplay, fun story and interesting battle mechanics.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh and for God's sake, talk to Clakso in Mushroom Rock Rd after completing that area during Chapter 1. It seems like a simple thing to miss, but if you do, you miss soooooo much side stuff.

ronito

I loved the insanely quick battles, but MAN OH MAN did that "music" stink!! (with one or possibly two notable exceptions - Eternal Memories, and possibly 1000 words)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Red Scarlet said:
Just don't go for 100%/certain items..the game is fun if you don't!

I can't get the
mascot costumes
. I played through it 4 times (the 3rd and 4th were unbearable).

;_;

Red Scarlet

I finally got them on my 5th try, then had to do like everything again on the 6th try
to get 100% (talking to Rikku in that Moogle costume at the very start brought me up and over) in order to get the 'perfect ending'. Played the US one once (missed mascot due to 1 ticket not selling), and yeah that was last time. :lol

Don't feel too bad, BT. :)
Go 311 hr file.

AniHawk

I liked the game. I guess you have to expect what you're going into. It's not REALLY like Final Fantasy X in mood (not a huge epic story, just picking up the pieces of the last game).

I LOVED the battle system, and I thought Paine's sarcasm was funny (because I hate Rikku as a character and it was usually in response to her annoying chirpiness).

Mejilan said:
I still haven't opened up my copy. Bought on day 1!

Lottery_Money_Bags.gif

FFunit

Banned
FFX-2 sucks ass. Worst game ever.

Error2k4 said:
I remember I bought this game play it for 3 hours and returned it, I just couldn't get into the game it didn't help the fact that I absolutely hated FFX's world so revisiting the same world in FFX-2 didn't excite me. the only good thing bout the game IMO is the battle system. shitty music, stupid story, didn't like the characters at all. FFX killed a lot of the enthusiasm I had for playing RPGs when I played FFX-2 it extinguished the little enthusiasm I had

totally agreed and the same things happened to me. FFX and FFX-2 killed my interest in RPG games, ironic because the same rpg series made me interest in them...Final Fantasy.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
FFX-2 is great, but I hate games that are like "omfg teh strategy guide!....or a FAQ" if you want to see
the real ending

No way in Hell I'd try and get 100% without a guide/faq.

Odysseus

Banned
I thought FFX-2 was fun, it just didn't have the same feel as FFX. Whereas FFX was more somber and dramatic, FFX-2 had this whole happy-go-lucky thing going for it. And it worked, for the most part, there just wasn't a good payoff, in my humble opinion. And for most people playing the game,
there's no payoff whatsoever

Cloudy

Banned
Can someone spoil the ending for me? I'm not playing thru that turd but I'm curious to know what happened and how much they bastardized FFX...

Chrono

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
FFX-2 is great, but I hate games that are like "omfg teh strategy guide!....or a FAQ" if you want to see
the real ending

No way in Hell I'd try and get 100% without a guide/faq.

So what is
the real ending
? Are there videos of it around somewhere on the net? I don't feel like playing X-2 but I'm curious. :p

Edit: didn't see cloudy's post.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Cloudy said:
Can someone spoil the ending for me? I'm not playing thru that turd but I'm curious to know what happened and how much they bastardized FFX...

Long story short, Tidus came back to life and emerged from the ocean off of Besaid, where presumably Yuna and Tidus lived happily ever after. This was in the "not obsessive compulsive enough to get 100%" ending though, but I hear the 100% ending isn't too different.

Red Scarlet

In the real ending
all the same stuff happens as before (Vegnagun destroyed, all the factions are pals), and then Tidus comes back via that little kid that is Bahamut's fayth thing.

Looking at people's responses and without spoiling it for myself when I dive in, I have to get 100% for like the best ending right? Which is annoyingly impossible without a guide?

Bebpo

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Looking at people's responses and without spoiling it for myself when I dive in, I have to get 100% for like the best ending right? Which is annoyingly impossible without a guide?

Nah, the 100% just adds a little sequence. You can get the good ending really easily and shouldn't need a guide. Though the game is made to play through multiple times anyhow. I got through it twice in less than 40 hours.

Shouta

If they did another game using the gameplay stuff from X-2, I'd be really happy. The job system could use some improvements and etc but it's pretty damn good.

FFunit

Banned
Himuro said:
HELL NO. FFIX's broken and slow ass battle system is UNBEARABLE on replays. The game has some of the best sidequests in a Final Fantasy (chocobo hot and cold) but is no way as fun as FFX-2, FFVIII, or Tactics.
lol no

Zweisy1

Put about 2 hours into the game. just couldnt stand it. Maybe I should give it another try if the battle system is such an improvement over old school ATB.. At least it seemed real quick paced.

FF games in general have the most unlikeable characters in RPGs though.. and thats a lot said.

jiggle

Spoiler for FFX2 International+Last Mission, from gamefaqs.com

"Yes, you figured it out, Tidus is mentioned, as how Yuna and him have lived at Besaid Island now. However, the scene in Last Mission depends on the saved file you load in before you start Last Mission. So there are variations, like Yuna being alone (if you started Last Mission from scratch or have loaded a savegame where you have not yet completed the game), or seeing Inami (the name of Wakka's and Lulu's son in japanese version of FFX-2) grown tooth, and so on."

Bebpo

Banned
jiggle said:
Spoiler for FFX2 International+Last Mission, from gamefaqs.com

"Yes, you figured it out, Tidus is mentioned, as how Yuna and him have lived at Besaid Island now. However, the scene in Last Mission depends on the saved file you load in before you start Last Mission. So there are variations, like Yuna being alone (if you started Last Mission from scratch or have loaded a savegame where you have not yet completed the game), or seeing Inami (the name of Wakka's and Lulu's son in japanese version of FFX-2) grown tooth, and so on."

Uhmmmmm, I finished all 80 floors of last mission and there was no ending at all.

You get to the top of the tower and see a glowing ball of water thingy, the camera zooms at it or something and then the credits roll. There might've been a little more (it's been a while) but there was no real ending. I remember all the other people playing LM got the same ending and were like "WTF!?"

Last Mission was kinda fun though once you got the hang of it.

jiggle

Bebpo said:
Uhmmmmm, I finished all 80 floors of last mission and there was no ending at all.

You get to the top of the tower and see a glowing ball of water thingy, the camera zooms at it or something and then the credits roll. There might've been a little more (it's been a while) but there was no real ending. I remember all the other people playing LM got the same ending and were like "WTF!?"

Last Mission was kinda fun though once you got the hang of it.

It's not the ending...get those in the beginning? That's what i found from gamefaqs anyway. Never got to play LM

demi

Himuro said:
HELL NO. FFIX's broken and slow ass battle system is UNBEARABLE on replays. The game has some of the best sidequests in a Final Fantasy (chocobo hot and cold) but is no way as fun as FFX-2, FFVIII, or Tactics.

Once again, you're in the wrong.

FFunit

Banned
Himuro said:
I am right.

you are only right about 1 thing. And thats the fact that battles in FF9 load up VERY SLOW. Thats the only minuspoint in that game. Besides that, its definitely in the top 3 most fun FF games ever. The whole game is filled with incredible cozy and atmospheric environment, funny dialogues and characters, fun minigames and sidequests, and a great soundtrack.

Tarazet

Late to the dress-up party is more like it, eh? For what you spent on that quick cash-in I got a used copy of Shadow Hearts. I think I win.

Top Bottom