• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku receives death threats for reporting No Man's Sky delay

What does Rolfe giving money to charity have to do with the way he handled things? Hell, what does this have to do with No Man's Sky?

It has nothing to do with NMS, but this topic in general seems to be about online harassment. In this very thread we have people applauding Devin for attacking James over not wanting to watch a movie. And while not from Devin, there were also people all over social media that were not only personally attacking James but his wife as well. And they weren't just attacked by random internet users, people from Slate and the New York Times were personally attacking them over it. I think it highlights in part exactly why this happens. When you've got people that are following you or that you're following that are going to applaud you and in many cases go right along with you when you say those types of things, then you're going to absolutely create the mob mentality that drives this stuff.

It's stuff like that which highlights how much have a disconnect between how they act on the internet and how they act in real life. If the people sending Sean and Jason death threats over the NMS were in Gamestop and overheard some employees talking about it possibly being delayed, there's no way in hell they'd tell them "I'm gonna murder you and your family". Just as there's no way in hell Devin would call another person a "limp dick loser" in real life if he overheard them talking about not wanting to watch a movie. But this is the internet where bullshit like that is treated differently than it would in real life.

Now i'm not trying to comparing death threats to general name calling, as death threats are obviously much worse. I'm simply getting at why it all happens. Which in part is because of how easy it is to create this snowball effect on the internet. A snowball effect that would never really happen in real life scenarios because the people around them are more likely to say "What the fuck is wrong with you?" rather than encouraging and joining in with them.

No, I stand by it. If you make your living watching bad movies and being a film reviewer, it's literally your job to watch the movies and then form an opinion on them. Judging based on purely a trailer and then making a self-congratulatory video on why *this* is the film that broke the camel's back? Honestly I think it's really dumb, and like others have said it makes me wonder 'why this film specifically'?.

Ghostbusters is not some magic untouchable property, and there's every chance the film could be half-decent. When the whole debate is a minefield anyway, making that video is taking a stance which puts him too far on the side of 'wah wah female ghostbusters'. Coupled with the fact that the guy keeps poor company with gamergators, and yeah I think the whole thing is just lame.

Absolutely this. He's not a consumer, he's a 'professional'. And his behaviour surrounding this release was anything but.

Maybe ghostbusters isn't, but Big Trouble in Little China is and I won't stand for it!!!

:p

It has nothing to do with NMS, but this topic in general seems to be about online harassment. In this very thread we have people applauding Devin for attacking James over not wanting to watch a movie. And while not from Devin, there were also people all over social media that were not only personally attacking James but his wife as well. And they weren't just attacked by random internet users, people from Slate and the New York Times were personally attacking them over it. I think it highlights in part exactly why this happens. When you've got people that are following you or that you're following that are going to applaud you and in many cases go right along with you when you say those types of things, then you're going to absolutely create the mob mentality that drives this stuff.

It's stuff like that which highlights how much have a disconnect between how they act on the internet and how they act in real life. If the people sending Sean and Jason death threats over the NMS were in Gamestop and overheard some employees talking about it possibly being delayed, there's no way in hell they'd tell them "I'm gonna murder you and your family". Just as there's no way in hell Devin would call another person a "limp dick loser" in real life if he overheard them talking about not wanting to watch a movie. But this is the internet where bullshit like that is treated differently than it would in real life.

Now i'm not trying to comparing death threats to general name calling, as death threats are obviously much worse. I'm simply getting at why it all happens. Which in part is because of how easy it is to create this snowball effect on the internet. A snowball effect that would never really happen in real life scenarios because the people around them are more likely to say "What the fuck is wrong with you?" rather than encouraging and joining in with them.

Very well said, Ssx. Couldn't agree more.

There's a distinction between someone deciding not to see a film, and someone deciding not to see a film and then making a long video about not seeing the film, in advance of reviews/impressions. Most people don't feel the need to announce they're not interested in a movie, or work so hard to justify being close minded.

And dont forget James Rolfe, besides the AVGN, made a name for himself by watching and talking/reviewing some of the absolute worst movies in existence. He doesn't discriminate when it comes to shitty films. From 1930's monster movies, to exploitation, gore, kaijuu, and especially horror movies in all their subgenres. He revels in his huge DVD/BluRAY/VHS/Laser Disc/Betamax/8mm reel collection of films, many (most?) of those being garbage and he admits this.

But no, the all-female Ghostbusters movie that still has yet to received a single review or impression is where he draws the line and decides to make a long video about why he won't watch even though he's a self proclaimed huge GB fan.

I've been a follower of Rolfe's work since Yuutube's infancy in 2006 (I even bought his AVGN movie on Bluray!) and I fear this behavior and his recent collaborations with AlphaOmegaSin might be a worrying sign of things to come from this guy.

And dont forget James Rolfe, besides the AVGN, made a name for himself by watching and talking/reviewing some of the absolute worst movies in existence. He doesn't discriminate when it comes to shitty films. From 1930's monster movies, to exploitation, gore, kaijuu, and especially horror movies in all their subgenres. He revels in his huge DVD/BluRAY/VHS/Laser Disc/Betamax/8mm reel collection of films, many (most?) of those being garbage and he admits this.

But no, the all-female Ghostbusters movie that still has yet to received a single review or impression is where he draws the line and decides to make a long video about why he won't watch even though he's a self proclaimed huge GB fan.

I've been a follower of Rolfe's work since Yuutube's infancy in 2006 (I even bought his AVGN movie on Bluray!) and I fear this behavior and his recent collaborations with AlphaOmegaSin might be a worrying sign of things to come from this guy.

His video was pretty clear as to his reasons he had no desire to see the film. And he made it to address the expectations of fans who may have expected him to see it.

Someone must have no idea who Jason Schreier is to have doubled-down against him.

The rest of it the story though...the death threat is shameful. Even if the person was exaggerating and trolling...you don't do that. The panic and denial elsewhere, calling up 30 gamestop stores (if true), just wow. Time for a new hobby.

He's still a consumer, he still has a right to not see something. Maybe this franchise, in particular, he feels passionate enough about to not see in order to send a message. That's what consumers do when they don't like a product, they don't buy it.

Until someone on here wants to post DIRECT evidence that James is in the GG camp, all anyone is doing here is speculating on a lot of circumstantial shit, in order to lump James into their narrative.

Sorry, some people are just capable of articulating their opinions in a deliberate and thoughtful way, and it doesn't have to be about sexism. Shocking, right?

Top Bottom