• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kate Winslet's character in Avatar: The Way of Water revealed

ManaByte

Gold Member

And the exclusives begin right now: on this month’s newsstand cover, take a very first look at Kate Winslet’s brand new character from the film, Ronal, the co-leader of the Metkayina tribe. She’s “deeply loyal and a fearless leader”, Winslet tells us – here she is, fangs bared and ready for action with her battle-spear in hand.

CsqEKrc.jpg

X3MIdtz.jpg

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
with a strong female character

To be fair, Cameron was doing it long before most of his contemparies but its now become the boring movie cliché by directors jumping on the bandwagon to virtue signal their #metoo credentials.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I can't wait until this finally comes out so I can stop hearing about it everywhere I go online.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I thought Nav'i had striped fur and used paint, how they got tattoos?

I'm pumped about this film, personally. In Cameron I trust! Is it getting a 3D release? If he is doing high frame rate I'll have to think about ita bit, my viewing of The Hobbit was DESTROYED bythe HFR effect. But if anyone can crack it, it would be Cameron.

Aggelos

I think it's gonna be gangbusters from the aspect of visual spectacle. Both Sigourney and Kate are quintessential for a James Cameron movie. Moreover, I reckon that Cameron will be offering us nothing short of 2-and-a-half hours of visual spectacle. And afterwards, probably an extended cut. The story may not be oscar-winning (once again), but in terms of visual spectacle and the feeling of sitting in a dark theater together with other people and being transported into another world, the film is gonna hit the jackpot.

Last edited:

Pejo

Is this one going to release in imax 3D? I really loved the 3D in the first one, and if possible I'd like to see this one the same way.

Doubt James Cameron at your peril

If this isn’t for you, then so be it.

The rest of the cinema world will probably disagree (see T2, true lies, titanic and avatar. They all brought something new to the table and the last two made all the money in the world at the time. They were that successful, compared to everything else. Regardless what you thought of boats or blue people)

I’m in, just to see what he does now 👍😎

Aggelos

"Sigourney Weaver Plays Jake And Neytiri’s Adopted Teenage Na’vi Daughter In Avatar 2 – World-Exclusive"

"James Cameron Might Not Direct Avatar 4 And 5 Himself – Exclusive"

ManaByte

Gold Member
"James Cameron Might Not Direct Avatar 4 And 5 Himself – Exclusive"

Doesn't make sense as they've already filmed some stuff for the fourth one I believe. There's a big time jump so they needed to film the stuff with the kids when they were still young so IIRC they did that while filming 2 and 3.

clarky

Gold Member
Hopefully the actual movie is better this time round because apart from the effects and 3D the first was trash.

Bet Sam Worthington is buzzing, his career was in the toilet before this fell in his lap.

Last edited:

Aggelos

He has a point. No one was complaining about binging 13 hours of Stranger Things.

And literary endless other cases, where people just binge on their screens/TVs. And then everybody gets worked up when a filmmaker flashes a 2.5 or 3-hour movie in theatres. Everybody starts bitching, whining, yammering, grumbling, murmuring, croaking about the running time, when they have been binging on Netflix, HBO, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Paramount+, Disney+, Hulu, Apple TV+, you name it, this entire whole time.

And literary endless other cases, where people just binge on their screens/TVs. And then everybody gets worked up when a filmmaker flashes a 2.5 or 3-hour movie in theatres. Everybody starts bitching, whining, yammering, grumbling, murmuring, croaking about the running time, when they have been binging on Netflix, HBO, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Paramount+, Disney+, Hulu, Apple TV+, you name it, this entire whole time.
To be fair, most recent "epic" movies are about 30 minutes too long. They'll do the traditional movie arc and then pad it out with boring twists and shit at the end. Even good movies nowadays run way too long when you consider what they're offering. But, as others have said, if anyone can pull this off properly it's JC.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Sitting in confined space in cinema =/= lying on couch at home

ManaByte

Gold Member
James needs to get off the internet, this is starting to sound like Ghostbusters (2016) all over again.

Ghostbusters 2016 was an ultra-woke identity politics reboot of one of the most popular movies of all time.

The Avatar sequels are meant to be a generational Godfather-style saga in a sci-fi setting.

Your comparison makes zero sense.

winjer

Gold Member
Never understood why Avatar was so big at the time.
It was a decent action movie, but it did nothing special. Even the story was a jumbled copy of ideas from other movies.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
If only the Dune saga were to get this kind of treatment. Instead, we will be lucky the get up to Dune Messiah.

Lady Jane

Banned
If only the Dune saga were to get this kind of treatment. Instead, we will be lucky the get up to Dune Messiah.

With the current pacing of the films, #3 will be Messiah. That finishes that arc and I'm confident we can get three movies after Dune's success. I'll be fine if that's all we get. Ideally, it will go into the trilogy all-time greats if Villeneuve keeps it up.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
With the current pacing of the films, #3 will be Messiah. That finishes that arc and I'm confident we can get three movies after Dune's success. I'll be fine if that's all we get. Ideally, it will go into the trilogy all-time greats if Villeneuve keeps it up.
I'm concerned about part two. There is a LOT to squeeze in.

Lady Jane

Banned
I'm concerned about part two. There is a LOT to squeeze in.

This is how I imagine it will start:

Prologue scene: Lady Jessica becomes the Bene Gesserit, Paul and Chani get it on

Title sequence
"3 years later"

I think that will set up the film to finish the first book in 2.5 hours.

Last edited:
Top Bottom