• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Evolving Aloy (new character model and visual updates)

This is by far the most egregious comparison I've ever come across. So much so that I'm fairly convinced you're trolling.

Honestly, I hate to validate this nonsense topic by taking a position on her looks but I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone or have a serious case of Shallow Hal vison at this point. Aloy is an above average looking character model by most conventional Western standards. By no means am I suggesting that such beauty standards are definitively correct, but based on how long this silly debate has been dragging on, you would think they cast some clicker from TLOU for Aloy's model.
To me, it's not about how Aloy looks, it's about how she looked in the last game compared to this game. And if that was changed, why was it changed? Those are the questions people should be asking, and I think we'll have a better understanding when the game is out and people can see her in-game model more clearly.

Perhaps it's just people taking advantage of odd camera angles to try and suggest something that isn't at all true. But if the developers did change the character intentionally to look more masculine, or in an attempt to make her look less feminine, then that's it's own weird brand of sexism. And if that's true, I can acknowledge and criticize that without thinking the character should be sexualized or anything. Those feel like two separate issues.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
If you dislike the topic so much why didnt you quote the post I replied to aswell?

People are going to prefer a more attractive Aloy, it does not have to be some big drama.

And for me its not just about sex appeal, its that it does not make sense for Aloy to have have a chubby face. She is an almost super human athlete.
I replied to your comment because of your choice to include a picture of an intentionally unflattering-looking Charlize Theron for purposes of comparison, that is often conjures up with the word "Monster" (title of the movie) when people look at it. This, to me, is an inappropriate comparison.

You are also bringing up two very different issues in your comments; sex appeal vs appropriate character physicality. Again, I think the former is a stupid discussion to have, but in regards to her "chubby face", I honestly believe we are seeing the effects of more realistic lighting, for better or worse. Lighting and angles can do wonders and cause catastrophes for even the most beautiful of your supermodel crushes. Curious, do you think she looks "chubby" in the side profile picture?

ASDn3Qa.jpg

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I replied to your comment because of your choice to include a picture of an intentionally unflattering-looking Charlize Theron for purposes of comparison, that is often conjures up with the word "Monster" (title of the movie) when people look at it. This, to me, is an inappropriate comparison.

You are also bringing up two very different issues in your comments; sex appeal vs appropriate character physicality. Again, I think the former is a stupid discussion to have, but in regards to her "chubby face", I honestly believe we are seeing the effects of more realistic lighting, for better or worse. Lighting and angles can do wonders and cause catastrophes for even the most beautiful of your supermodel crushes. Curious, do you think she looks "chubby" in the side profile picture?

ASDn3Qa.jpg
You're reading to much into the charlize pic, its just the first thing thought of ,when thinking of the anti Hollywood female lead look.
Lol, lighting cant add extra tissue.

But im glad you are pleased by her looks.
I myself would prefer slightly lower fat percentage in her face.

Last edited:
She's not hideous and her face is a little more masculine than I'd prefer, in that, they start to make her look forgettable. I have no desire or would want to have Alloy merchandise or products. It's honestly a poor design choice in general. She doesn't need to be hot, but she also doesn't need to be purposefully undesirable. She does look like an older version of herself, but the odd thing is, her body didn't change, they only made her face chubby. Odd for someone that literally runs miles a day.

As a man that's not quite in shape, I'd rather play as a man that has muscle as it's respective to the character. I would not want Doom Slayer, Master Chief, Kratos, or Nathan Drake to be chubby ugly men, it wouldn't make sense. Even men get more handsome (#nohomo) as we get more in shape.

Last edited:

aclar00

Gold Member
Hey lets keep it simple and use the proverbial phrase that is an oversimplification that can be counterproductive and rarely helps, but sometimes needs to be said...."if you don't like it, make your own"

aclar00

Gold Member
She's not hideous and her face is a little more masculine than I'd prefer, in that, they start to make her look forgettable. I have no desire or would want to have Alloy merchandise or products. It's honestly a poor design choice in general. She doesn't need to be hot, but she also doesn't need to be purposefully undesirable. She does look like an older version of herself, but the odd thing is, her body didn't change, they only made her face chubby. Odd for someone that literally runs miles a day.

As a man that's not quite in shape, I'd rather play as a man that has muscle as it's respective to the character. I would not want Doom Slayer, Master Chief, Kratos, or Nathan Drake to be chubby ugly men, it wouldn't make sense. Even men get more handsome (#nohomo) as we get more in
shape.

So you find all of those gentlemen attractive eh and wouldnt mind looking like them huh? I kid....I just dont quite understand how this is such a big issue for some people...on the other hand its just the flipside of a coin...particularly given many people were tired of the dominance of oversexualized female characters of yesteryear.

Either way, i guess it has just never bothered me much...guess updated graphics have ruined some people's fantansy...e.g. what they thought the 1996 Lara Croft looked like....

Also, do we know what Master Chief looks like under the helmet? I never really followed the game...for some reason imagine some Frankenstein's monster looking dude.

All games cant cater to all people in any aspect, i would just think gameplay, story and even graphics would be first to be criticized.

At the end of the day it will be balanced as the years go on.

So you find all of those gentlemen attractive eh and wouldnt mind looking like them huh? I kid....I just dont quite understand how this is such a big issue for some people...on the other hand its just the flipside of a coin...particularly given many people were tired of the dominance of oversexualized female characters of yesteryear.

Either way, i guess it has just never bothered me much...guess updated graphics have ruined some people's fantansy...e.g. what they thought the 1996 Lara Croft looked like....

Also, do we know what Master Chief looks like under the helmet? I never really followed the game...for some reason imagine some Frankenstein's monster looking dude.

All games cant cater to all people in any aspect, i would just think gameplay, story and even graphics would be first to be criticized.

At the end of the day it will be balanced as the years go on.
My biggest gripe is that the face doesn't match the body, she shouldn't have a fat face and a fit body. It's unrealistic. For me it's not about fantasy as much as it just doesn't look right. They could have just kept the proportions from the original game, but they didn't for some reason.

The Chief is pretty fucked up, very pale, and will never die of skin cancer. People didn't like the style of his armor in Halo 4 and 5 though, so there's that. Infinite fixed it.

Last edited:

aclar00

Gold Member
My biggest gripe is that the face doesn't match the body, she shouldn't have a fat face and a fit body. It's unrealistic. For me it's not about fantasy as much as it just doesn't look right. They could have just kept the proportions from the original game, but they didn't for some reason.

The Chief is pretty fucked up, very pale, and will never die of skin cancer. People didn't like the style of his armor in Halo 4 and 5 though, so there's that. Infinite fixed it.

I feel you, but trust me when i say there are people like that in the real world and are much more exaggerated than the Aloy pic going around. There are people who are the opposite too, with thin faces and large lower bodies. People whose carpet doesnt match the drapes and peoples who feet are freakishly small or large for their bodies.

Some people just have big or chubby cheeks, some have wide hips, some none at all. Some lose weight in some places at a higher rate than others....basically ots just as uncommon as you might think.

I feel you, but trust me when i say there are people like that in the real world and are much more exaggerated than the Aloy pic going around. There are people who are the opposite too, with thin faces and large lower bodies. People whose carpet doesnt match the drapes and peoples who feet are freakishly small or large for their bodies.

Some people just have big or chubby cheeks, some have wide hips, some none at all. Some lose weight in some places at a higher rate than others....basically ots just as uncommon as you might think.
That's all well and good. But this is a man-made world full of robot dinosaurs. It's not like they have to remodel Alloy, just make her look like she did on PS4. There's nothing wrong in being consistent. They didn't need to change her face at all. I'm literally not asking to make her hot, just make you look like Alloy.

Last edited:
Thank god the PS5 allows much more detail to be shown. I had no idea her face was so fucking fat while playing the first game. What else was last gen hardware hiding?

Its just odd. Imagine if Charlize Theron played captain marvel looking like this:

wrrAGp2.jpg
Movies, music, TV shows, commercials, etc make sure to generally get the most beautiful females to play their roles or represent their company/product literally every single time, but for some reason most Western video game companies normally like to keep the females more grounded or average looking.

I guess it’s to eliminate or tone down the “male gaze”, but why not try to eliminate the male gaze in other forms of entertainment as well? Yeah, it’s really hypocritical and strange.

Last edited:

Closer

For some reason, movies, TV shows, commercials, etc make sure they generally get the most beautiful females to play their roles, but for some reason video game developers like to keep the females more grounded or average looking. Yeah, it’s really strange and hypocritical.

You mean "they are starting to like", because this is fairly new.

Top Bottom