• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just built my first PC. Should i be concern in the rate VRAM is needed in modern games?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900 12-Core Processor
Video Card AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT
RAM 32 GB
VRAM 12GB

I can play all my games on max setting now, including Horizon Zero Dawn and Cyberpunk 2077. But im noticing upcoming games are asking for more VRAM.

Should I be concerned about needing more VRAM?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900 12-Core Processor
Video Card AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT
RAM 32 GB
VRAM 12GB

I can play all my games on max setting now, including Horizon Zero Dawn and Cyberpunk 2077. But im noticing upcoming games are asking for more VRAM.

Should I be concerned about needing more VRAM?
12GB should be considered the absolute bare minimum needed. This PC is mostly fine, but you better be prepared to have to drop a lot of settings.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You will need to replace that card well before Vram requirments get too much for it anyway.

GHG

What resolution are you gaming at?

12GB should be ok for most things assuming your not attempting native 4k.

Leonidas

Should be a fine experience if you're playing at 1440p, except for RT, the 6700-series GPUs are one of the slowest 12 GB GPUs in terms of RT.

If you don't have path tracing on in Cyberpunk it ain't maxed...

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

I do 4K native and with FSR most of the time at 60+ fps and High settings (never do Ultra, makes no sense to me) on a 6700 XT. I don't use RT.

I had to lower the resolution to 1800p or 1400p native or with FSR for some current gen games but that's about it... When I pick 1440p though games tend to run above 70+ or 80+ fps anyway, it's just that some games don't give me FSR option and I rather have 70+ fps most of the time.

GHG

I do 4K native and with FSR most of the time at 60+ fps and High settings (never do Ultra, makes no sense to me) on a 6700 XT. I don't use RT.

I had to lower the resolution to 1800p or 1400p native or with FSR for some current gen games but that's about it... When I pick 1440p though games tend to run above 70+ or 80+ fps anyway, it's just that some games don't give me FSR option and I rather have 70+ fps most of the time.

FSR means it's not native 4k. To clarify, when I said native I meant native. It makes a big difference because when you use FSR or any other upscaling solution the internal render resolution will typically be 1440p or below.

yeah my boy, just avoid bad ports®

c6219855313d7a02cc76d3cbbff1f8d7.gif

Kataploom

Gold Member
FSR means it's not native 4k. To clarify, when I said native I meant native. It makes a big difference because when you use FSR or any other upscaling solution the internal render resolution will typically be 1440p or below.
I know, that's why I said native and FSR. I don't care as long as it looks good and FSR Quality is pretty good on my TV (43" Samsumg Neo QLED). I can play games on 4K native too with perfect performance like Sekiro or some other. In some cases I can easily play at around 50 to almost 70 fps on 4K native but I opt to play at more than 70+ fps for better frame pacing. Thing is: The card won't be a problem for the remaining of the generation, even if games gonna be played at 1440p + FSR Quality which looks decent most of the time.

At 1080p the card will max whatever at high frame rates for years to come and many PC gamers play at that resolution by choice anyway, I have a friend with 1080p monitor and the same card than and everything is 80+ fps maxed out with RT.

Guilty_AI

12 gb is fine, especially if you aren't doing 4k - that isn't a 4k card in the first place so whatever.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You’re fine. I wouldn’t want to be below that, as that’s pretty much the baseline for right now.

It’s also not like you wouldn’t be able to run games with higher VRAM requirements. You’d just have to turn down some settings.

To worry about 12 GB? Nah, what's the worst that can happen.. Are you doing 4K?

What resolution?

12 gb is fine, especially if you aren't doing 4k - that isn't a 4k card in the first place so whatever.

yeah im not playing 4K, im doing 1440. no ray tracing

Kataploom

Gold Member
yeah im not playing 4K, im doing 1440. no ray tracing
You'll be fine for the rest of the generation then. No current gen game I've played goes below 70 fps at that resolution native... Well, that's until the screen gets really REALLY busy on Ghostwire Tokyo, but even that was rare and I played that game at around 1800p TSR at 70+ to 100 FPS (capped it at 100 for some heat reduction).

Wooxsvan

how many years is 12gb fine though.?? i'm gonna build around starfield release. i haven't built a high end pc in 10years. iv built some mid specs with my kids but want to build something around $1700.

lmimmfn

For 1440p or ultrawide you're fine with 12GB. You may need to wait on new releases for 12GB optimization.

Side note: I'm on 12GB VRAM also with a 4070Ti with ultrawide but I never buy PC games on release.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
how many years is 12gb fine though.?? i'm gonna build around starfield release. i haven't built a high end pc in 10years. iv built some mid specs with my kids but want to build something around $1700.
At that budget I would consider it mid spec machine tbh.

If you are looking to build a new pc that will last you years, and you are starting from scratch, the video card alone (4080 or higher) will run you $1k+ USD.
Then you have NVME storage $180 (on sale for PCIE 4x at 2tb)
DDR5 memory (32gb) $200 to $500
Mother board with PCIE 4 support (5 if you can swing it) $200 to $700
Processor (latest gen red or blue) ~$550
Case

That would spec you for the next 2 to 3.5 years (imo)

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

At that budget I would consider it mid spec machine tbh.

If you are looking to build a new pc that will last you years, and you are starting from scratch, the video card alone (4080 or higher) will run you $1k+ USD.
Then you have NVME storage $180 (on sale for PCIE 4x at 2tb)
DDR5 memory (32gb) $200 to $500
Mother board with PCIE 4 support (5 if you can swing it) $200 to $700
Processor (latest gen red or blue) ~$550
Case

That would spec you for the next 2 to 3.5 years (imo)
i see. well i could go up a few hundred more if needed

You should be fine at 1440p. I'm running a 3080 10GB and haven't had any issues running any game I've thrown at it at 1440p high/ultra settings. I understand that it will probably start to show its weaknesses in the next couple of years with big AAA releases with only 10GB VRAM.

Top Bottom