• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode IX, Chris Terrio co-writing, now due Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

I'll raise you...

Anakin accidently flies a spaceship he has no idea how to pilot out of naboo into a droid control station and accidently fires torpedoes into it's main reactor without any kind of training with both piloting spacecraft and the force when he is 8 years old!

Anakin Skywalker is the mary sue!

Of all the Gary/Mary examples, this is far and away the worst offender

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Keep in mind

Rey figuring some stuff out on her own via experience, inference and context clues fits better with HER character than it does for Luke.

Rey is a surviving scavenger who had to fend for herself HER ENTIRE LIFE.

Luke spent his entire life having others tell him how to live. In the care of parent figures.

Also, there's a chance that her force proclivity will be explained in a future movie.

I think TFA is an absolutely beautiful film but it could have done a lot better with visual storytelling, in the sense that all of the space-dogfight stuff at the climax didn't communicate itself to the viewer nearly as well as the Death Star trench run, the asteroid belt fight, the Death Star 2 fleet battle, or the Rogue One fleet battle. I'd argue that outside of the fantastic opening sequence of Revenge of the Sith, though, the prequels were similarly incoherent with that material.

5. Secretive villain who's over the villain of movie (IE Snoke/Kylo vs the Emperor/Vader)

The Emperor wasn't a huge villain in ANH. The script and novelization treat him as a figurehead who has no political power (and who wasn't even the first emperor in the Galactic Empire). It wasn't until ESB that his character was developed into a "final boss" style villain.

-griffy-

Banned
There's way too many "homages" if you think they didn't use ANH for the overall plot structure.

1. Main character living on a desert planet unaware of their past or that they are force sensitive.
2. Droid with a super secret message hiding within it.
3. Droid finds main character and starts them on a journey.
4. Hero tortured to find out information (Poe/Leia)
5. Secretive villain who's over the villain of movie (IE Snoke/Kylo vs the Emperor/Vader)
6. Main villain wears a mask
7. Older figure who main character looks up to to find answers and learn from (Han in this, Obi wan in ANH)
8. Villain of the movie cuts them down while the main character looks on and can't save them.
9. Giant round weapon meant to wipe out planets, but with a fatal flaw to its design.
10. It's weakness is beat by an X-wing firing into this weak point.
None of that stuff is the actual story though, that's the point (and you kind of ignore how often TFA intentionally sets up a situation we already know with the purpose of subverting it a moment later).

Who's the character in ANH who is keeping themselves tethered to the past as a crutch, unwilling to let go and move into an uncertain future? Who's the character grappling with the morality of their existence up to that point, having to choose between running from what scares them or sticking with their new family? Where's the villain who is obsessed with his own place in his lineage, trying to derive a purpose in his life to the point of self destruction?

Sephzilla

I don't even know why people try to bring up Anakin when everyone criticized and hated him.

Because Anakin was criticized for his poor writing and bad acting. He was never criticized for being overpowered and all of his abilities being unearned like Rey has, which is hilarious considering Anakin is literally put on a Force Jesus pedestal in Episode 1

Having played way too many video games based on Star Wars (and read a decent amount of the extended universe), I always took it as taking many years of practice to use the force like Rey does. I guess I always ignored ANH as an earlier prototype of how one learns to be a jedi, and that the reality is it takes a lot of training.

So when I watched Force Awakens, I felt like she learned far too quickly to use the force, to the point where I thought she might have been trained prior, and subsequently had her abilities buried by a mind wipe or something. It seemed abrupt and felt unearned to me. I suppose Anakin and Luke are the same when I reflect upon it, but I found it jarring at the time for Rey. I would probably feel the same way if I watched ANH for the first time today. I remember being so bummed out at Phantom Menace that I didn’t even reflect on Anakin’s ridiculous skills.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't even know why people try to bring up Anakin when everyone criticized and hated him.

No one critized him for being a mary sue and figuring out things on his own too easily.

People (such as you) did for Rey, when Anakin figured out the force and accomplished incredible tasks far quicker with far less teaching than Rey.

Having played way too many video games based on Star Wars (and read a decent amount of the extended universe), I always took it as taking many years of practice to use the force like Rey does. I guess I always ignored ANH as an earlier prototype of how one learns to be a jedi, and that the reality is it takes a lot of training.

ESB did it as well. Luke was able to lift his saber with his mind without a single bit of training on how to do that, hell he wasn't even shown or told that a Jedi could move things with their mind even once before and he was able to do it.

-griffy-

Banned

Hey Bobby I got one.

Nairume

Banned
There's way too many "homages" if you think they didn't use ANH for the overall plot structure.
Context is key for some of these.

1. Main character living on a desert planet unaware of their past or that they are force sensitive.
Removed from the context of how they live, with Luke's situation being he has a comfortable family life that he secretly wants to escape, while Rey lives a solitary life she is fine with remaining in until her family returns. The two desert planets are also shown to be fairly different, both in culture and in feel (with Tatooine being a huge empty desert, and Jakku being a scarred battlefield).

2. Droid with a super secret message hiding within it.
This is fair.

3. Droid finds main character and starts them on a journey.
This is somewhat fair, but ultimately strips out a lot of context. R2 encounters Luke and tries to get him to help. Luke refuses and only gets caught up when R2 runs away. Rey chooses to help BB-8.

4. Hero tortured to find out information (Poe/Leia)
Torture is a thing that happens in films in general. This is an unfair comparison, and the scenes are not even the same.

Palpatine isn't introduced until ESB. If anything Vader is subservient to Tarkin, with Hux being the analog. And that comparison isn't really accurate either.

6. Main villain wears a mask
Context! This is done on purpose to explicitly set Kylo Ren up as a somebody who wants to be Vader but isn't.

7. Older figure who main character looks up to to find answers and learn from (Han in this, Obi wan in ANH)
This is a general thing in movies and wasn't even original in ANH. The relationships are also a bit different.

8. Villain of the movie cuts them down while the main character looks on and can't save them.
Again, context. If you lazily strip away all the meaning and shit, sure, it's a direct copy of ANH. These scenes are entirely different in how they play out and in the actual meaning behind them.

9. Giant round weapon meant to wipe out planets, but with a fatal flaw to its design
This is fair. While you can logically justify it, the movie needed to do a better job doing it itself.

10. It's weakness is beat by an X-wing firing into this weak point.
This is 100% unfair. The DS1 was destroyed by the X-Wing firing into a structural weakness on the station's surface. Starkiller Base is destroyed by the heroes on the surface of the base blowing a huge enough hole in the structure that an X-Wing is able to fly in and shoot at an actual weakness.

There's plenty of good movies that pay homage to ones before them but are still their own movies when it comes to the basic plot structure and overall story.
...which TFA actually does once you stop doing simple surface viewings.

So when I watched Force Awakens, I felt like she learned far too quickly to use the force, to the point where I thought she might have been trained prior, and subsequently had her abilities buried by a mind wipe or something. It seemed abrupt and felt unearned to me. I suppose Anakin and Luke are the same when I reflect upon it, but I found it jarring at the time for Rey. I would probably feel the same way if I watched ANH for the first time today. I remember being so bummed out at Phantom Menace that I didn't even reflect on Anakin's ridiculous skills.
What if I told you it could be both ways though. It still DOES take a lot of training to use the force at will, while in moments of desperation you can tap into it. This is how the force has always worked in games, movies, books, etc whether canon or otherwise.

Luke was desperate when he blew up the death star and pulled his lightsaber in ESB. He struggled to use these powers on command during training. Then he was choking fools and pulling his lightsaber left and right after the ESB->ROTJ timeskip, post training. Similarly, all of Rey's force moves were from moments of desperation.

Assuming she is an expert at it and can suddenly do all this shit on command kind of defeats the purpose of seeking out Luke. I'm gonna go ahead and guess she'll struggle a bit to do the basics in TLJ.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I have heard that Abrams was a big fan of the
KOTOR video game story.

Holy shit, I never even thought of that possibility.

Extremely powerful as a child, but difficult to control, so her parents abandoned her in a desolate place. And its similar to a plotline in Looper, directed by...Rian Johnson

We may be onto something here...

But Luke did have some basic scene with Obi Wan teaching him how to do that. Ray didn't.
That's just all i needed.

How about look telekentically pulling the lightsaber to him in Empire? Ben was a disembodied voice who wasn't doing much training at that point.

It's not even clear if Luke knows the force can even be used that way at that point. The only time we see that use of the power in ANH was in a scene with Vader which Luke isn't present for.

KoopaTheCasual

I think Rey is obviously one of the kids from Luke's failed Jedi Academy, and she had her memories repressed to protect her. Why she was abandoned and almost left for dead? idk, but I feel like it would make Rey's quick ascension make a lot of sense.

Surfinn

There's something going on here /Trump

Yeah, I dunno what it is exactly, if it's a mind wipe, but there's more to Rey's story that will give us more background about some of the things she does and ways she behaves in TFA.

Because as much as people give Anakin shit, they always gave him a free pass for the same exact criticisms Rey received.

I wonder

Why is this?

Because as much as people give Anakin shit, they always gave him a free pass for the same exact criticisms Rey received.

I wonder

Why is this?
Didn't folks believe he was space jesus and so did the audience? He is the chosen one who would bring balance so...

Did you even see his midochlorian count?!

Elfstar

No one critized him for being a mary sue and figuring out things on his own too easily.

People (such as you) did for Rey, when Anakin figured out the force and accomplished incredible tasks far quicker with far less teaching than Rey.

It just looks like you are trying way too hard to imply that everyone who criticizes Ray (i didn't even do that in particular) has actually some sort of secret agenda, and i don't know what kind of argument is even possible to have when you have a witch hunt going on.

Surfinn

I wanna see an interview with JJ discussing things he will be doing differently, in terms of filmmaking approach, with EP9.

What his takeaway from TFA was.

Didn't folks believe he was space jesus and so did the audience? He is the chosen one who would bring balance so...

Did you even see his midochlorian count?!

Not really. Yoda is pretty much like "you're wrong" when Obi asks if he's the chosen one.

And like I said

Do you think Rey being a fucking space jesus would have similarly passed by without complaint or critique?

Why are we having this conversation aboaut Anakin NOW and not in 1999?

Coming 2020, Mary Sue, a Star Wars story. Follow the main character as we painstakingly delve into every minute detail of her life for three long hours, showing her rise from diapers to teenage woes to light sabers, followed by a 10 second finale where she puts all her super earned skills to the test and kills the villain (who wasn't revealed until just then, what you thought we had time for two characters?) with a single swing, roll credits!

So many awards, so many awards. Bravo Lucasfilm for making such a deep and multidimentional character! Only complaint, just a small gripe really, but giving some time for the other character to develop would have been swell. But I get it, you didn't have time, people were already screaming "I HAVE TO POOP, BUT THIS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT IS SO FUCKING GOOD" by the time he movie ended. Any longer and it would have been a very messy theater.

I'm bored.

I wanna see an interview with JJ discussing things he will be doing differently, in terms of filmmaking approach, with EP9.

What his takeaway from TFA was.

Same here, though I have a hunch we won't hear much from him until after The Last Jedi is out. He'll want to let Rian have his time out in the spotlight for his film first.

You know, after dealing with years of Ferngully, Dances with Wolves, and Pocahontas comments I now realize I must stand with my TFA brethren in solidarity against "its just a *movie title* rip off" slander.

Cranster

Banned

So when I watched Force Awakens, I felt like she learned far too quickly to use the force, to the point where I thought she might have been trained prior, and subsequently had her abilities buried by a mind wipe or something. It seemed abrupt and felt unearned to me. I suppose Anakin and Luke are the same when I reflect upon it, but I found it jarring at the time for Rey. I would probably feel the same way if I watched ANH for the first time today. I remember being so bummed out at Phantom Menace that I didn’t even reflect on Anakin’s ridiculous skills.

Kyle Katarn ring a bell?

He literally just gets a lightsaber from his dead father and already knows force powers right away.

Yup. Not for a long time I suspect.

Eh, it won't be too long, I think.

JJ started talking publicly about TFA pretty quickly after he got the gig in 2012/2013. I think he'll wait until sometime early in 2018 to start talking about Episode IX and what he's aiming to do differently with that film compared to TFA then.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I see, but trying to shut down any kind of argument with this is both childish and lazy.
Anyone who says Mary Sue, and isn't using it ironically, isn't really worth the time of day. Shit got old real quick in 2015 and it's not getting any fresher.

Surfinn

It just looks like you are trying way too hard to imply that everyone who criticizes Ray (i didn't even do that in particular) has actually some sort of secret agenda, and i don't know what kind of argument is even possible to have when you have a witch hunt going on.

Uh oh

This sounds oddly familiar

And the takeaway here is that.. Anakin got a free pass for Rey's criticisms in 1999. Why do you think that is? He does even MORE unbelievable shit than Rey.

Yet I didn't see one argument that he was just too powerful.

Sephzilla

I see, but trying to shut down any kind of argument with this is both childish and lazy.

I dunno, I see where it's coming from though. The female main character is being subjected to criticism her male counterparts are not subjected to even though the male counterparts have the exact same issues that are thrown at Rey

GhaleonEB

I generally kind of like that each revision of the Death Star has been more failure prone than its predecessor.

Well, the New Order tried. I get a kick out of how Starkiller Base tried to fix the previous Death Star fatal flaws.

A New Hope: torpedo into an exposed vent

Return of the Jedi: they projected a shield over the whole Death Star. Rebels take it down by going to the shield generator on the nearby moon.

The Force Awakens: There's a giant blast shield over the oscillator port (fixes the flaw from ANH), and the energy shield is projected from the base itself (fixes the flaw from Jedi).

And it still got blown up.

Surfinn

I dunno, I see where it's coming from though. The female main character is being subjected to criticism her male counterparts are not subjected to even though the male counterparts have the exact same issues that are thrown at Rey

DING DING DING (nope, not Bobby's ding)

I'm still waiting for Rian to say why he didn't go for it.

Same reason JJ didn't do The Last Jedi, I bet. Doing these things back to back is fucking hard, and part of the reason for getting different directors for these is so that Rian could be prepping TLJ at the same time JJ was shooting TFA. If Rian were to have come back for this, it'd likely have had to be delayed even further than December for him to have had the same amount of prep time he had on TLJ.

I don't think Rian really needs to say anything on the matter. The most likely answer is that the schedule just wasn't right. Dude probably needs a nice long break after working on The Last Jedi for so long.

Speaking from personal experience, albeit on an amateur/film student level, filmmaking is tough. It can wear you down and feel pretty overwhelming, depending on the type of person you are. Hell and that's only on a cheap low-budget level. I love making movies, but I can't even imagine how stressful it'd be if I tried to do a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster anytime soon.

I think we'll see Rian helm another Star Wars film eventually. Maybe even for Episode X or the Obi-Wan film if Daldry leaves that at some point. It just wasn't the right time for him as far as it went for Episode IX.

The dude just spent years of his life writing and directing one of the most anticipated movies of all time. And coming out of TLJ his career will be on fire.

I'm genuinely surprised Abrams is willing to come back on without at least doing another palette cleansing film first.

Elfstar

Uh oh

This sounds oddly familiar

And the takeaway here is that.. Anakin got a free pass for Rey's criticisms in 1999. Why do you think that is? He does even MORE unbelievable shit than Rey.

Yet I didn't see one argument that he was just too powerful.

Uh oh, time to embrace your pitchfork! You really proved me wrong here!

Hypotetical people contradicting themselves is not an argument at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom