• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode IX, Chris Terrio co-writing, now due Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anakin was just a huge failure, wasn't he? Supposedly "chosen" but rolls around in some grass before being manipulated, killing some children, getting mauled by his teacher, and at some point dying. Maybe by the hands of his own son as it would fit how pathetic he is.

But also not after he's given birth to the same son who accomplishes nothing of meaning (I assume since I have not seen V and VI) that's now in hiding while some offshoot of the original threat murders ten billion people in the most recent movie.

Like, this family is a curse. Space Hitlers basically.
It's not his fault, if Anakin had the high ground he would have ended up ok.

Anakin was just a huge failure, wasn't he? Supposedly "chosen" but rolls around in some grass before being manipulated, killing some children, getting mauled by his teacher, and at some point dying. Maybe by the hands of his own son as it would fit how pathetic he is.

But also not after he's given birth to the same son who accomplishes nothing of meaning (I assume since I have not seen V and VI) that's now in hiding while some offshoot of the original threat murders ten billion people in the most recent movie.

Like, this family is a curse. Space Hitlers basically.

Never saw 5 or 6?

Humor my lack of technical lexicon here but,

95eef6fc02500c97d7139613b95f8ba3de60dc96_hq.gif

love that shit, clean and colorful.

Where as with this

kinda blurry, lots of smoke effects and other random shit getting in the way of my space wizards. whats the tech term for this - anyone? digital processing? post processing? it's too much.

clean, colorful, sexay

love the faster styles. I really hope if they are going to make Rey OP, they take it all the way with some real fast shit. If you're gonna empower, may as well go full force.

It's like Abrahms really enjoys slightly muted blurred colors and lots of fog and shit. Whereas with the prequels, the sheer vibrancy on display in terms of color and locations and the clarity of the image, was great! Whereas with Abrhams it always seems overly stuffed. Bit blurry.

Although you could argue that Prequels look like a fuckin' video game, but that's the trade off when you get "grounded".

Maybe it's just art style preference.

Elfstar

That's not "Anakin is too powerful, his successes are unearned".

The bolded is my ENTIRE point.

That's because he also has about eight thousand flaws way more annoying than that?
Also, he barely won just one light saber major duel out of three, and only in the final movie of the trilogy?
Again, i think you're trying a bit too hard.

It's like Abrahms really enjoys slightly muted blurred colors and lots of fog and shit. Whereas with the prequels, the sheer vibrancy on display in terms of color and locations and the clarity of the image, was great! Whereas with Abrhams it always seems overly stuffed. Bit blurry.

The cinematography of the prequels isn't anywhere near as good as what's on display in The Force Awkens, and while Episode III is particularly bold/bright/colorful, the idea that TFA under Abrams/Mindel is fuzzy and desaturated doesn't even make any sense. It's a candy-coated film. It's absolutely vibrant.

The cinematography of the prequels isn't anywhere near as good as what's on display in The Force Awkens, and while Episode III is particularly bold/bright/colorful, the idea that TFA under Abrams/Mindel is fuzzy and desaturated doesn't even make any sense. It's a candy-coated film. It's absolutely vibrant.

Yea my mind is doing backflips trying to figure this out.

TFA was colorful as fuck. I'm pretty sure people are just making shit up to throw at TFA at this point.

Surfinn

That's because he also has about eight thousand flaws way more annoying than that?
Also, he barely won just one light saber major duel out of three, and only in the final movie of the trilogy?
Again, i think you're trying a bit too hard.

It's like you're not reading my posts

The PT was ripped apart and pieced together for almost the last 20 years. Literally everything about the film was scrutinized.

Except the components that produced "Rey is a Mary Sue" in TFA.

It's like you're trying hard to not see my point

And you're pretending like there aren't a huge group of people who love and defend the PT. It's not like it was completely panned. I think all three of those films have positive scores on RT for example.

I personally know people who like boy Anakin and Jar Jar. It's a thing

I've started a re watch attack of the clone wars right now, and it struck me immediately. The image is so much clearer with a much richer vibrant range of color. It absolutely shows when their establishing new locations especially. The visual clarity is on a different level.

It's like Abrams is walking around with a fog machine everywhere he goes.

Ristifer

That would depend if the arguments against her screen character can be justified or not. If they can in anyway be justified as a character or acting argument, then it's fair game, and dropping the "you're a misogynist" bomb on anyone that does have a legit criticism about the way her character is handled minimizes the real misogyny that goes on in order for you to hand wave valid arguments that you can't counter or sate without dropping said bomb.

I already said what my problem was I thought her learning jedi arts like mind control was far too early for me to really get on board with it. But I didn't mind since someone said that the force is going to be handled a lot differently in this new Star Wars law. But if you weren't aware of that it could be jarring.

And like I said about Rey earlier in the thread, to me she seems to be operating on the spectrum of looking constantly surprised at things.
I'm not "dropping bombs" or labeling anyone. I'm saying that the argument is valid within the context of character comparisons. That's why I only quoted the one person when they called it lazy/childish. It can't be a lazy argument when it's something that should be discussed, especially considering the similarities between characters of the same series.

I'm not "dropping bombs" or labeling anyone. I'm saying that the argument is valid within the context of character comparisons. That's why I only quoted the one person when they called it lazy/childish. It can't be a lazy argument when it's something that should be discussed, especially considering the similarities between characters of the same series.

that was so last page, it's fog machines now man

jman2050

I've started a re watch of the clone wars right now, and it struck me immediately. The image is so much clearer with a much richer vibrant range of color. It absolutely shows when their establishing new locations especially. The visual clarity is on a different level.

Yeah it's so bright and clean and colorful, it almost looks like it was all generated by a computer.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I've started a re watch attack of the clone wars right now, and it struck me immediately. The image is so much clearer with a much richer vibrant range of color. It absolutely shows when their establishing new locations especially. The visual clarity is on a different level.

I want to respond to this but I have no idea how...

Yeah it's so bright and clean and colorful, it almost looks like it was all generated by a computer.

Fantastic rebuttal I hadn't thought of that one guy. Thanks.

Although you could argue that Prequels look like a fuckin' video game, but that's the trade off when you get "grounded".

You guys really think the TFA is more colorful than the prequels? fo reals? I dunno man. I'm looking at pink arc lightning right now. If this chase scene (Attack of the clones start) had Abrams directing, all the ships would be crapping out smoke plumes. Gottah put that fog machine to work.

love that shit, clean and colorful.

Where as with this

kinda blurry, lots of smoke effects and other random shit getting in the way of my space wizards. whats the tech term for this - anyone? digital processing? post processing? it's too much.

clean, colorful, sexay

love the faster styles. I really hope if they are going to make Rey OP, they take it all the way with some real fast shit. If you're gonna empower, may as well go full force.

Eugh man. The style and color of TFA's lightsaber fight, from the visuals to the choreography, dumps on any prequel fight from on high and easily ranks with the best of the OT. It oozes influence from ESB and ROTJ but imo has better choreography than the OT fights. The OT fights benefit from the emotional situation which is great and necessary but they definitely show the age and lack of modern techniques. The prequel fights plainly display everything wrong with the films themselves in a concise package. Flashy, original (maybe) but hollow and kind of nonsense if you think about it. TFA's fight is the best of both worlds. I don't think it hits the emotional highs of the ROTJ fight but that's the climax of the entire trilogy so it won't and it wouldn't make sense to. It certainly covers the visual side of a lightsaber fight extremely well.

TFA was colorful as fuck. I'm pretty sure people are just making shit up to throw at TFA at this point.

Color plays an important and prominent part in the visual language of the film, most films really I'd hope. I thought the vibrant colors were one of the most striking aspects that immediately differentiate it from the PT and OT.

Elfstar

It's like you're not reading my posts

The PT was ripped apart and pieced together for almost the last 20 years. Literally everything about the film was scrutinized.

Except the components that produced "Rey is a Mary Sue" in TFA.

It's like you're trying hard to not see my point

And you're pretending like there aren't a huge group of people who love and defend the PT. It's not like it was completely panned. I think all three of those films have positive scores on RT for example.

I don't know, you brought up Plinkett's reviews as a representation of what the Star Wars' fandom criticized about the PT and he actually pointed out most of the Anakin's dumbest scenes, including him building C3PO, winning accidentaly the day in Ep1 and being Star Jesus with over 9000 midiclhlorians in his blood, so i don't really see your point now.

Anyway, i don't want to annoy the people here by repeating the same stuff all over again, so let's end this now.

THE GUY

Banned
What? She's going to be Anakin's granddaughter!
How many grandkids does he need? His failure of a grandson already exists.

Rey and Finn need to kill the Skywalkers. And if Rey is one of them, then she can die as the hero who recognized what needed to be done.

These guys are the real enemies.

GhaleonEB

The word that comes to mind with the prequels is "sterile". Big, bright empty environments that look like plastic. Conflicts with no emotional investment or stakes. Fights that have no internal story telling to them - there's the start of the fight, lots of fancy moves, and then after along while something happens to resolve the fight.

The fights in TFA are short but are jam packed with visual story telling in nearly every shot. There's an ebb and flow to them and we can tie those things directly to the characters.

Just look at that tracking shot: this from the tail end of the fight. Rey is exhausted and clearly outmatched. Kylo Ren is driving her backward with heavy blows from his saber, while still wielding it one handed. He's on full ego-stroking mode while trying to demonstrate to Rey that she has no chance. He's been instructed to bring Rey to Snoke and his goal is to pound her into submission. The disparity in confidence and ability between the two is enormous, and the way the tracking shot moves more slowly to the right than Rey puts emphasis on how she's being driven back.

The lighting is gorgeous, and the setting unique to the series. It uses the red/blue from the sabers to highlight the environment (and in the next moments the characters).

Perhaps my favorite shot in the entire series, for its composition, framing, how it distilled the central conflict in the film, the gorgeous use of color and location.

EPVII_Kylo_Ren_Final_Battle-1536x864-350327783729.jpg

There no such thought process to the fights in TFA.

(I realize I'm participating in the re-litigation of TFA, but at least we're in different territory here, and discussing stylistic and story telling choices that will probably impact Ep IX in similar ways as they impacted TFA. Let's not dip back into Mary Sue territory.)

was this supposed to be from a diff. account?

No sorry guy, I don't have multiple gaf accounts. It's why these days I try to do more of a concise take on things instead of hot takes. as getting banned is super annoying when there's a thread you wanna talk in.

Sorry if that isn't coinciding with whatever it is your thinking.

-griffy-

Banned

I believe the word you are looking for is atmosphere. Maybe tactile and tangible too.

Maybe.

It's refreshing to have a protagonist who isn't related to these clowns. Hopefully she'll do the universe a favor and wipe them out.

I mean, the first Force Awaken's trailer pretty much confirms Rey is related to Luke right? The line never made it into the final film, but uhhh... it was said. The force runs strong in my family, now you have that power too!

Between the desert, Ranthars and the the universe's most generic imperial base it didn't always feel like what.

Still not even close to the artistry in the prequels, but that's what you get with the mad world building focus George had. Things to show, things to highight. TFA didn't give a shit and gave us the gloriousness of the Ranthar sequence. (For real tho, why? WHHHYYYYY?) :p

Surfinn

I don't know, you brought up Plinkett's reviews as a representation of what the Star Wars' fandom criticized about the PT and he actually pointed out most of the Anakin's dumbest scenes, including him building C3PO, winning accidentaly the day in Ep1 and being Star Jesus with over 9000 midiclhlorians in his blood, so i don't really see your point now.

Anyway, i don't want to annoy the people here by repeating the same stuff all over again, so let's end this now.
I'll try this one more time

There is a complete difference between recognizing that scenes were poorly done and framing an entire character as unworthy of their accomplishments and labeling them as a "Mary Sue".

If you cannot tell the difference between general criticism and singling a character out and throwing a broad and loaded label on them, yeah, we should just end the conversation.

I mean, the first Force Awaken's trailer pretty much confirms Rey is related to Luke right? The line never made it into the final film, but uhhh... it was said. The force runs strong in my family, now you have that power too!

Between the desert, Ranthars and the the universe's most generic imperial base it didn't always feel like what.

Still not even close to the artistry in the prequels, but that's what you get with the mad world building focus George had. Things to show, things to highight. TFA didn't give a shit and gave us the gloriousness of the Ranthar sequence. (For real tho, why? WHHHYYYYY?) :p
Tfa did need more 50s diners.

THE GUY

Banned
I didn't see any trailers, but I thought this was the start of a fresh story based off VII. They got Kylo who's related to their clan (and continues the long standing traditon of being a disappointment like the rest of his predecessors). I figured she was some new hero. Gonna be disappointed if she's part of them too.

The word that comes to mind with the prequels is "sterile". Big, bright empty environments that look like plastic.

Prequel world building was decent I thought! I liked the various city architecture, the underwater people and the naboo with that greek style with lots of pillars. It's always nice and distinctive. I like getting that kind of information about the living universe at large.

I believe the word you are looking for is atmosphere. Maybe tactile and tangible too.

Yeah or another word(s) might be drizzled in shit, or over polluted. I watch it and it feels like I need glasses. Maybe I do

Oh lawd Anakin is starting to bitch out.

Do you know what concise means, Schwarz

to speak succinctly and to the point, guy. but I feel like I gottah elaborate on my thoughts or my offhandedness may be misconstrued as something else. Like someone who has multiple gaf accounts (why would anyone need multi gaf accs) and is a misogynist?

Fantastic rebuttal I hadn't thought of that one guy. Thanks.

You guys really think the TFA is more colorful than the prequels? fo reals? I dunno man. I'm looking at pink arc lightning right now. If this chase scene (Attack of the clones start) had Abrams directing, all the ships would be crapping out smoke plumes. Gottah put that fog machine to work.

Your fog machine complaints make zero sense.

In general though, the OT was notable aesthetically for showing a sci-fi world that was gritty and lived in. This was a stark contrast to the other sci-fi films of the 60s and 70s that were usually very sterile and cold.

With the prequels Lucas moved away from that grit. Presumably to highlight the prequel era as a golden-age/Camelot of sorts. But it also seemed to be byproduct of the filming which moved away from an emphasis on practical sets and location shooting to just filming everything green screen and relying on digital set extensions.

Abrams deliberately moved to film TFA in a style more reminiscent of the OT because the more you feel like your characters are inhabiting the actual locations the more we connect with them emotionally.

Rey isn't a Skywalker.

(I'm 99.997% certain)

What makes you so certain? I'm less and less convinced of it - but so many things throw me off. What was the dialogue at the opening of the first TFA trailer? Was he talking to Kylo/Ben?

How does Kylo know who Rey is? (What girl!?)

How come Han seems to recognize and even feel sorry for Rey?

How come Rey "inherited" Luke/Anakin's saber and received visions from it?

So many questions that I'm not sure will ever be answered if she isn't.

THE GUY

Banned
If it does turn out that Rey takes out the Skywalkers, I feel like this will be one of the most rewarding experiences in a long running franchise I've had. Watching the first four movies was an exercise in building resentment. Anakin, what a piece of crap this guy was. And Luke seemed like a chump too, which is no surprise considering who his father is. It will all be worth it if the end game was some random newcomer put an end to the "chosen" Jedi's bloodline because they were all just complete failures and a nuisance to the universe.

Obi should have finished the job in Episode III. Brother, my ass. That fool was poison, and that poison has already spread. The newest form looks like one of those maladjusted nerds who spends time on the internet complaining about free speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom