• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How JJ Abrams jilted Paramount for Episode 9

Sean C

tbf what sort of stupid contract would allow JJ to basically ignore its stipulations while chasing in them checks? whomever wrote the contract should be fired.
The point isn't the contract. As the article notes, they've got him dead to rights on that. But the cost of enforcing the contract is prohibitive, since it would alienate Abrams and his network and just land them an unenthusiastic director.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I can’t speak entirely for the JJ-Paramount relationship since I haven’t followed it thoroughly. But the one thing I found very odd with it was how JJ handed them a re-energized, blockbuster Star Trek resurrection on a silver platter and they proceeded to squander much of it wholesale commercial/marketing wise.

I struggle to remember anything notable that happened for its 50th Anniversary apart from the run of the mill STBeyond PR.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I can’t speak entirely for the JJ-Paramount relationship since I haven’t followed it thoroughly. But the one thing I found very odd with it was how JJ handed them a re-energized, blockbuster Star Trek resurrection on a silver platter and they proceeded to squander much of it wholesale commercial/marketing wise.

I struggle to remember anything notable that happened for its 50th Anniversary apart from the run of the mill STBeyond PR.

I thought Beyond was considered to be the best film in that trilogy by a country mile, especially by Trek fans?

Aw I loved Beyond. I really liked that one a lot.

Glad he's back - it would have been cool to see someone like Ava Duvernay take the helm, but he did great stuff with TFA and I imagine he'll do great following up Rian Johnson's story.

Sucks for Paramont, but honestly, what choice did they really have? If they want good films they need to get the ball rolling there, not just hope to have JJ around and hope for the stars align.

Well I liked Jurassic World more than TFA, sooo... yeah, I'm not wanting Abrams back.

Dude, I'm a Jurassic nut... but, nah.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I thought Beyond was considered to be the best film in that trilogy by a country mile, especially by Trek fans?
I’m not speaking for the quality of the movies though (I liked Beyond)

I’m speaking for on the fact that ST09 did wonders commercially and critically, and yet their push for the property as a whole didn’t get very far beyond that.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I’m not speaking for the quality of the movies though (I liked Beyond)

I’m speaking for on the fact that ST09 did wonders commercially and critically, and yet their push for the property as a whole didn’t get very far beyond that.

Ah, yes, of course...sorry! My reading comprehension has been absolutely horrible today.

The Force Awakens score is a very good score.

Does it have a bunch of hooks in it? No. It's not a very hooky, poppy score. That, more than anything, threw me when I first saw the movie too. I said at the time, on a couple different shows in fact, that I thought it might be the weakest of his scores.

I realized that it was channeling a lot of his late '70s golden era one afternoon when I put it on with the other six film scores while I was doing some house repair, and multiple times I realized I'd been confusing some of the score's more low-key tracks with pieces from Star Wars and Empire.

It's really somewhere around the 3rd or 4th listen that it starts to become pretty apparent that the score isn't really trying to go super big & heroic, but is tying what is there together really tightly. The motifs don't switch in and out like medleys, but sorta layer on top of each other at key moments.

Sorta like he did with Star Wars and Phantom Menace, he's kind of establishing a new musical vocabulary for the trilogy, and just like Phantom Menace, it was kind of jarring at first to hear the music go in a familiar-ish but decidedly different direction.

Is it on the lower end of his Star Wars work still? Yeah, probably. But it's not at the bottom of the list for me anymore, and it's certainly not bad, or even mediocre. It's really, really good stuff, and the potential to hear how it gets solidified and built out even further is one of the things I'm really looking forward to with The Last Jedi.

Blobbers

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Watch out for that vicious bounty hunter Boba Fett, Luke. Did I ever tell you I fought his dad? He was hired to assassinate a senator me and your father were guarding. We kept bringing her around open windows and public areas in order to draw the would-be assassin out because we knew he had too much pride to just shoot her from long range. He had used his payment to hire another bounty hunter to kill the senator for him while he sent us on a wild bantha chase. Also the 2nd assassin used her payment to buy a robot to assassinate the senator for her. Did I mention the 2nd assassin was a shapeshifter? She could have been a good friend in disguise and just shot the senator for all we knew! Then the robot used its payment to buy poisonous bugs to release into the senator's room while she slept after lasering a hole through the window. It could have just lasered her too after that because we we weren't watching her at all, but it already bought the bugs. So we sense the hostile life forms (not the robot) in the room and rush in and save the senator in the nick of time! Then I jumped out the window to chase the robot back to its owner! Luckily it didn't have a self-destruct function. Then we found the 2nd assassin and chased her across the planet, and caught her when she tried to kill us instead of shapeshifting and escaping. But to our surprise, Jango Fett was watching the whole thing instead of going to kill the senator while we were away chasing the bugs chasing the robot chasing the shapeshifter. He shot her with a poisonous dart instead of sniper blaster, and only her instead of shooting all of us or blowing all of us with a rocket or something, then he escaped with his tiny jetpack. Luckily for the senator, my good friend Dexterr Jettster owned a 50s dinner on Courscant that had Republic secrets on the menu along with cheeseburgers and malt shakes. We found the assassin and Mace Window killed him later, right in front of Boba. And he was a good friend

TheXbox

I'm fucking pissed right now that this thread is now about dunking on John Williams. Please resume complaining about how Episode IX will be a remake of RotJ.

Surfinn

The Force Awakens score is a very good score.

Does it have a bunch of hooks in it? No. It's not a very hooky, poppy score. That, more than anything, threw me when I first saw the movie too. I said on a couple different shows in fact that I thought it might be the weakest of his scores.

I realized that it was channeling a lot of his late '70s golden era one afternoon when I put it on with the other six film scores while I was doing some house repair, and multiple times I realized I'd been confusing some of the score's more low-key tracks with pieces from Star Wars and Empire.

It's really somewhere around the 3rd or 4th listen that it starts to become pretty apparent that the score isn't really trying to go super big & heroic, but is tying what is there together really tightly. The motifs don't switch in and out like medleys, but sorta layer on top of each other at key moments.

Sorta like he did with Star Wars and Phantom Menace, he's kind of establishing a new musical vocabulary for the trilogy, and just like Phantom Menace, it was kind of jarring at first to hear the music go in a familiar-ish but decidedly different direction.

Is it on the lower end of his Star Wars work still? Yeah, probably. But it's certainly not bad, or even mediocre. It's really, really good stuff, and the potential to hear how it gets solidified and built out even further is one of the things I'm really looking forward to with The Last Jedi.
Thank you

Paramount will continue to dip into irrelevancy unless they change things around, and actually invest in some quality properties. Even Lionsgate is doing better then Paramount currently.

Also I'm happy J.J. is back. TFA was and still is fab.

Oh, it's an improvement for sure (Trevorrow's involvement in 9 was rather disheartening for me, to say the least). I just think Trevorrow stepping down gave the studio the opportunity to bring a more exciting director onboard with a stronger body of work behind them who would have been likely to bring a more unique sense of vision to the film, as opposed to just digging someone up who's already given us something before.

Kennedy and co wanted someone who could deliver the film in on time. I don't think they were looking for a new different filmmaker. J.J. was an easy choice.

I think all the Kylo×Rey shippers annoyed me enough to lower my like for VII a bit. The Rey=Anakin thing, for some insane reason, also retroactively lowered my enjoyment of VII too. The heck is wrong with me?

I just need to see VIII.

Surfinn

I think all the Kylo×Rey shippers annoyed me enough to lower my like a bit for VII. The Rey=Anakin thing, for some insane reason, also retroactively lowered my enjoyment if VII too. The heck is wrong with me?

I just need to see VIII.
Can't let shitty fan theories get in your way!

Also, what the fuck at "great or nothing" as some sort of metric by which to judge John Williams.

"It's been over a decade and I HAVE NOT RECIEVED GREATNESS. This is BULLSHIT"

Surfinn

I still listen to TFA's soundtrack randomly, like on the way to work.

I think most people hear it once and throw their arms in the air

I believe at this point you are discussing how you are not actually discussing what we are discussing f

What I originally said was, I was done discussing SW topics (meaning the details within) as they all devolve into the usual people, with the usual opinions on off topic issues.

I saw this thread, read some of it. Saw the devolution once again taking place. Reacted to that, discussed nothing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm never talking to any of you fucks again but I will continue to talk about how I'm not talking to any of you.

Top Bottom