• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How JJ Abrams jilted Paramount for Episode 9

pompidu

Well I liked Jurassic World more than TFA, sooo... yeah, I'm not wanting Abrams back.

Still don't know why people like this movie, the whole thing was absurd. Dinosaurs doing what they're told? Hybrid chameleon dinosaur? And of course Trex at the end, insanely predictable.

I had to go look up what their movies have been this year and....YIKES. No wonder they want JJ.

Zlnzn5F.jpg

Musolf815

Personally having JJ for IX is just relieving. I love TFA, and feel a loooot better about Abrams handling IX than Trevorrow.

10 million a year for producing and development, that's a hell of a deal. Hes directed 4 movies for them in that time ans produced all the mission impossible movies. Hes helped make paramount alot a money.

Pepboy

ABRAMS IS 51 YEARS OLD?!?!?!? Why do I always think of him as some baby-faced motherfucker?

Also, sucks for Paramount. Dat Disney clout

I think it's because his movies always come off as amateurish and everyone still thinks "once he gets more experience under his belt, he'll make a really good movie".

SpaceWolf

Banned
I what universe is bland a valid criticism of JJ Abrams?

Not entirely sure if this post is sarcasm, but just in case it isn't...I just feel Abrams tends to create his movies in such a way that they don't really leave a particular impression on me. There's nothing really distinctive about them visually or in terms of the way they present stories, and often get way too chaotic when it comes to capturing certain action set-pieces. They're just sort of...fine, you know? Serviceable, but nothing to really write home about.

It's kind of hard trying to put into words why you find a film-maker rather bland in regards to the way they make movies, because at the end of the day, it's really about trying to describe what you feel isn't in that film-maker's movies as opposed to what is. I dunno, that's just kind of my opinion.

Still don't know why people like this movie, the whole thing was absurd. Dinosaurs doing what they're told?

Yeah, I too miss the days when Harrison Ford would adlib.

"I know." (adlib)

vs

"That's what Snoke wants you to believe. Snoke is using you for your power. My contract says I have to say Snoke one more time." (not adlib)

I what universe is bland a valid criticism of JJ Abrams?

I mean, have you seen Star Trek: Into Darkness?

I don't know what Star Wars movies I'm allowed to like anymore someone please help me.

Depends on your age and "nerd cred".

If you're between 20 and 30, you can like the original trilogy, and the prequels.

If you're older than 30, you can't like the prequels.

If you're younger than 20, you can't like the prequels, unless your parents made you watch all the Star Wars as a kid.

If you're Star Wars "Fanatic" you can't like the prequels.

If you just "like" Star Wars, you CAN like the prequels.

TFA is trash though.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what Star Wars movies I'm allowed to like anymore someone please help me.
It's not that. It's more that there are special rules for the OT that don't apply to The Force Awakens. You're free to like TFA, but know that it will be criticized largely for stuff the OT did.

jett

D-Member
I think it's because his movies always come off as amateurish and everyone still thinks "once he gets more experience under his belt, he'll make a really good movie".

lol

I was also surprised to realize the guy is over 50. Abrams is great at selling himself. He'll probably never make anything great. The "next Spielberg/21st century Spielberg" snippets in the article are just...what? It was 1997 when Spielbergo was 51. Think of all the stuff he had directed up to that point.

It's not that. It's more that there are special rules for the OT that don't apply to The Force Awakens. You're free to like TFA, but know that it will be criticized largely for stuff the OT did.

I mean, yeah it was criticised for stuff the OT did.

Because it was pretty much a retelling of A New Hope. Hence some people having a problem.

Sean C

Does Paramount even have a project in mind for Abrams to direct next? The article says nada on that. I'd certainly be a bit more sympathetic if he had been in the middle of, or at least starting a new project for them when he signed on for EP9. Do they think he should just sit in their stable and wait patiently until they know what they want to use him for next?
When you hire Abrams, generally, I think what they wanted was for him to develop his own projects that they would finance, not that they'd just feed him director-for-hire gigs.

Surfinn

Enjoyed ep7 apart from the unsually poor soundtrack from John Williams. The lack of effort from JW almost destroyed the movie, StarWars is as much about music as it is about story. What did George do to bring out the best in JW? Either its age or working atmosphere, JJ better look for much better output from JW this time, its crucial to get this right for the final chapter of Skywalker saga.
TFA's soundtrack is poor, JW didn't try hard enough and almost destroyed the movie

And George Lucas is responsible for JW's score in the prequels

What the fuck am I reading

SpaceWolf

Banned
The Force Awakens score was pretty unmemorable and was probably got the worst score out of the seven saga films, though (excluding Return of the Jedi, maybe?).

Rey's theme will always be incredible, though.

Compared to the prior 6 movies yeah the tfa soundtrack was considerably disappointing

Some of his strongest work (alongside Munich) was in the prequels this century.

Honestly all I remember from TFA in terms of music is Rey's Theme (but it is such an AWESOME composition from Mr. Williams) and a tiny part of Kylo Ren's Theme.

But when it comes to I to VI I remember so many songs. Many of them are awesome.

Guess it's time to watch TFA again!

SpaceWolf

Banned
There are so many damn good tracks in TFA

It's all utterly subjective, obviously, but the only stuff that stuck out to me in that soundtrack was Rey's theme and the composition underlining Han's encounter with Kylo on the bridge. Outside of that, the score was pretty so-so to me, certainly by Williams usual standards.

Surfinn

The Force Awakens score was pretty unmemorable and was probably got the worst score out of the seven saga films, though (excluding Return of the Jedi, maybe?).

Rey's theme will always be incredible, though.
Forgettable? Nah. It's more subtle than usual but still a great score

March of the resistance, Rey's theme, Kylo's theme, torn apart, Starkiller base attack, just to name a few, are all really good

Those songs pop up in my head randomly all the time

spelen

tbf what sort of stupid contract would allow JJ to basically ignore its stipulations while chasing in them checks? whomever wrote the contract should be fired.

Fintan

I liked the idea of three different directors. Otherwise, I don't really care. Abrams is decent. Will probably be better than if Trevorrow were still directing it.

jett

D-Member
John Williams hasn't made anything great in 12 years. TFA is a far fucking cry from the last Star Wars score he worked on.

Top Bottom