• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode IX, Chris Terrio co-writing, now due Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadline has the scoop.
EXCLUSIVE: Rian Johnson decided not to take the offer to come back and replace the recently departed Colin Trevorrow on Star Wars: Episode IX. Now, Disney and LucasFilm are courting another director for an encore, the one who relaunched the franchise to dizzying heights. Deadline hears the studio is in talks with JJ Abrams, and sources said they are trying to work out a deal for him to return. This is expected to happen today.

EDIT: OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED BY LUCASFILM.
J.J. Abrams, who launched a new era of Star Wars with The Force Awakens in 2015, is returning to complete the sequel trilogy as writer and director of Star Wars: Episode IX. Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio. Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Abrams, Bad Robot, and Lucasfilm.

EDIT 2: The release date has shifted to 12/20/2019.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Pls Rian Johnson instead.

I guess I should see The Last Jedi before saying that though.
Force Awakens was a lot better than Rogue One at least.

Seesaw15

tumblr_ngu424kgqi1r3i2kko2_r1_500-no-disney-is-not-ditching-george-lucas-s-ideas-for-star-wars-the-force-awakens-gif-230159.gif

Sephzilla

JJ Abrams made the third best Star Wars movie, so I'm okay with this. Force Awakens was safe mostly by necessity because of the prequels, I imagine he'd be a little more free with Episode 9. He's also still a massive upgrade over Trevorrow

sphagnum

Banned
Rian probably wanted/needed more time. I doubt it's a creative control issue because there's no way JJ will simply abide by what Trevorrow wrote either.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why are people saying no? I thought Episode 7 was well received. And nobody has seen Episode 8 yet. I know the production for the latter has been smooth as far as we know, but what a weird reaction to walk into lol

I never understood why they didn't get the same director for the entire trilogy. But as much as I'd like for JJ to come back I'd also prefer it if he was doing something original at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom