• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan says The Last of Us Part II is ahead of Spider-Man in preorders in Europe

turtlepowa

Banned
Lol. Atleast you are showing your true colors.
What a complete turn around from your earlier post.
Last of us remastered in 2014
UC4 was released in 2016.
HZD was released in 2017.
GOW and Spider man was released in 2018
Last of us 2 will be releasing in 2020 same as GOTSU

I don't need to be a Nintendo fanboy to respect what they accomplished and I don't even own a switch

- Nintendo games are not beeing sold off cheap. You will never see Zelda or Mario games for 5 bucks like God of War or HZD
- We are talking about 110 million PS4 and only 55 million Switch
- Nintendo sold those games in 3 years
- Sony usually spends much more money for advertising their games (venturebeat.com)

It's just damn impressive what Nintendo did with the Switch. When they announced it, i thought it's going to flop like the Wii U.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Tell that to Zipper, Evolution and all the Studios that was shutdown by Sony. I still hated Sony for that. I still wish Zipper is still creating games. They didn’t even gave Zipper a chance to create a PS4 game. That could have made a difference.

Kinda ironic when they are ramping up again for studios and 1st party devs.
Yeah I agree Sony was stupid. Shutting down those studios was irrational and we deserved another Motorstorm tbh.
These studios would be ideal right now to bolster their next-gen launch line-up.

Geki-D

Banned
so, preorders for a NEW ip with a much lower install base is lower than a sequel at the end of a generation with a higher install base?
Ah yes. Spider-Man, than brand new IP no one has ever heard of. It's not like the game didn't come off the heels of massive Spider-Man hype from his own movie or an Avengers movie he starred in. Nor is it like Spider-Man is the most profitable superhero or ranks fourth in overall appearances in comics. Nope. No one's ever heard of this Spider dude before.

The console warriors sure are out in force in this thread.

Lol god damn... you know we digging deep on the trash can when people have to reference Nintendo first party sales, the casual's console to sort of try to land a dig at Sony exclusives sales this gen and TLOU2. Not only are you foolishly picking the wrong generation to do it lmao but it's also a horrible example that actually does the opposite of the intent, when we look at it in proper context.

This bad faith claim is done without taking into account that all Nintendo consoles since the SNES are software starved and as a result do not face significant competition for their consumers dollar like in the PS/Xbox/PC platform . Those first party titles don't have to compete with the yearly CODs, BFs, Assassin Creeds, GTA's, RDR, Division's, + the infinite number of sport titles and new AAA IP's that take a hugemongous chunk of the discretionary spending of PS platform owners. The big third party publishers thrive and survive because of Sony/MS consoles + the PC space. If they depended on Nintendo, they would all be bankrupt by now or shell of their former self. The fact that many of the biggest selling games never ever grace a Nintendo platform should make it debatable whether these third party games should be considered defacto exclusive - whether first party or not.

It's simply not an apples to apples comparison, it's misleading and frankly intellectually dishonest.

Last edited:

Eanox

I don't need to be a Nintendo fanboy to respect what they accomplished and I don't even own a switch

- Nintendo games are not beeing sold off cheap. You will never see Zelda or Mario games for 5 bucks like God of War or HZD
- We are talking about 110 million PS4 and only 55 million Switch
- Nintendo sold those games in 3 years
- Sony usually spends much more money for advertising their games (venturebeat.com)

It's just damn impressive what Nintendo did with the Switch. When they announced it, i thought it's going to flop like the Wii U.
You never fail to amuse me on this thread.
I never said you are a nintendo fanboy. Don’t put words in my mouth. I just find you ironic or a hypocrite. 😏

FYI for GOW majority of those sales came from $60. It was the fastest selling First party game from Sony at that time until Spiderman. It had a good legs for months.
Also, You are acting that $5 dollars for GOW are permanent price. Those are specific deals to attract customers to buy on your site or shop. It’s normal SRP is still $20.

Yes I am fully aware about sale breaking records of Nintendo games. I follow sales and it interests me.
Zelda, Mario and Pokemon are 30 years franchise while the Sony IP are mostly new ips that started on PS3 and PS4.

It will be different ball game when PS5 launches.
Uncharted, GOW, Last of us and HZD are system sellers now.

turtlepowa

Banned
You never fail to amuse me on this thread.
I never said you are a nintendo fanboy. Don’t put words in my mouth. I just find you ironic or a hypocrite. 😏

FYI for GOW majority of those sales came from $60. It was the fastest selling First party game from Sony at that time until Spiderman. It had a good legs for months.
Also, You are acting that $5 dollars for GOW are permanent price. Those are specific deals to attract customers to buy on your site or shop. It’s normal SRP is still $20.

Yes I am fully aware about sale breaking records of Nintendo games. I follow sales and it interests me.
Zelda, Mario and Pokemon are 30 years franchise while the Sony IP are mostly new ips that started on PS3 and PS4.

It will be different ball game when PS5 launches.
Uncharted, GOW, Last of us and HZD are system sellers now.

That's a win win, because you are also making me laugh evertime you answer.
Even if half of the GOW buyers paid 60 bucks (and i highly doubt that), the average would still be much higher for Nintendos big games, because they rarely drop below 40 bucks (actually 39,99 was the best i have ever seen for one of them). Zelda is 3 years after release still close to 50 bucks while Spiderman droped to 35 bucks weeks before christmas 2018 and it was released in September 2018.

Arounds 5 bucks is more or less the standard price. I have seen GOW at least 10 times for that price (now 12 bucks) and HZD complete edition is still available for 6 bucks. Would be surprised if any of those games were at 20 bucks on cdkeays in 2020.

Sony has mostly new ips? PS3 games are new ips? Come on we live in 2020 and all Sony games with 10m+ are old franchises except HZD.

Of course it will be different when the PS5 releases, because this time Sony has more competition than a completely failed, badly advertised and weaker Wii U and an overpriced, badly marketed, Kinect-forced and weaker XB1.

Enough from me, i'm out. Getting bored with numbers. Have fun and a nice day.

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
Yeah I agree Sony was stupid. Shutting down those studios was irrational and we deserved another Motorstorm tbh.
These studios would be ideal right now to bolster their next-gen launch line-up.
Could have seen future projects for both and maybe they werent up to snuff. I do agree Zipper hurts esp because well Socom 4 wasnt really socom but also it was hurt the most because thats when the psn outage happened and no one could play its multiplayer which was decent. By the time online was fixed the damage was done and the game was forgotten

Eanox

That's a win win, because you are also making me laugh evertime you answer.
Even if half of the GOW buyers paid 60 bucks (and i highly doubt that), the average would still be much higher for Nintendos big games, because they rarely drop below 40 bucks (actually 39,99 was the best i have ever seen for one of them). Zelda is 3 years after release still close to 50 bucks while Spiderman droped to 35 bucks weeks before christmas 2018 and it was released in September 2018.

Arounds 5 bucks is more or less the standard price. I have seen GOW at least 10 times for that price (now 12 bucks) and HZD complete edition is still available for 6 bucks. Would be surprised if any of those games were at 20 bucks on cdkeays in 2020.

Sony has mostly new ips? PS3 games are new ips? Come on we live in 2020 and all Sony games with 10m+ are old franchises except HZD.

Of course it will be different when the PS5 releases, because this time Sony has more competition than a completely failed, badly advertised and weaker Wii U and an overpriced, badly marketed, Kinect-forced and weaker XB1.

Enough from me, i'm out. Getting bored with numbers. Have fun and a nice day.

GOW sold 3.1M in 3 days. Lol. 🤪 so yes majority of it sales came from a $60 price tag.

Also, the fact that Sony games are competing with the likes of Monster hunter, Read dead, yearly COD, GTA which is still fucking selling up until now, sports game in 2018. That’s the main difference between with Switch and PS4.

Last time I read Cdkeys are not authorize reseller and they are not getting the game thru publishers. So yes they are not SRP.
Also, every sales from Cdkeys won’t and will not be counted because they are not tracked as they are not authorized reseller SMH 🤦‍♂️

IDK if my english is bad or whatever but I said New Ips that started from PS3 and PS4. I never said what you are trying to imply. Uncharted was a new ip from PS3. Is it not?

I will wait for PS5 because that will determined the selling power of PS exclusives. Will it falter or will it be stronger?

Stooky

Mojarity people don't know about the leaks, swj, or anti swj crap. This is all elite gamer niche talk. A lot people are going to feel real stupid when this game drops. TLOU 20 mill sold, yep TLOU2 is going to be just fine.

Eanox

Fun fact, PS4 during ~60 millions user-base only uncharted 4 sold more than 10 million copies while Nintendo already have nine 10 million sellers.
Fun fact, Last of Us is a 10m seller on the PS4 and that was released in 2014.
Fun fact uncharted 2 sold only 6M on the PS3.
Uncharted4 is over 16M now.

Fun fact pre PS4 only gran turismo was able to sell more than 10M. Now PS4 has 5 games that sold more than 10M. Possibly will end up with 6-9 titles that sold 10M.

Fun fact R&C is the most successful franchise pre Spiderman for insomniac.

GooseMan69

Part II is RAPIDLY making its way up the charts on the yearly Amazon best seller list (US). It is currently number 41. It was in the 60s last week, and the 80s the week before that. It’s mostly accessories/gift cards, with only a handful of (very popular) games ahead of it.

It’s number 8 on the yearly charts in the UK. Only game ahead of it is Animal Crossing.

Hype hasn’t even reached critical mass yet. Reviews hit this Friday, and then the sales will explode even more after people see the 95 meta score.

Also important to remember that the first title had serious legs. It did a somewhat modest 1.3 mil in the first week, and then word of mouth propelled it to new heights. This game will have the initial sales explosion by virtue of being a sequel, AND word of mouth to give it legs.

Even as a conservative, this shit is hilarious to me. Shaping up to be one of the most failed FUD campaigns in gaming history. It’s like the Modern Warfare 2 boycott 😂

Gamer gaters vs SJWs is an invisible war between two fringe groups. Nobody gives a fuck or even know it exists. To think it would have any effect on anything is pure delusion.

Last edited:

T_LVPL

People on the internet care about ridiculous trivialities. Nobody outside of these spaces cares. It won’t affect anything, people will all buy the game including the people complaining. There’s a subculture of sneaker fans who will only buy a Jordan if it says nike air on the back, not the jumpman logo. It’s the same sort of thing which only 200 people in the world care about.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Still baffles me why people pre order games. I just don't understand.

- Getting special editions before anyone else.
- Pre-load the game on your console, especially if you have a slow internet speed.
- Your copy is reserved just in case your local store goes out of stock.
- Pre-order bonus.
- Midnight release. People who pre-ordered theirs go to the front of the line.
- People don't mind paying as soon as possible.
- You can cancel physical pre-orders any time.

GooseMan69

and under in the NA, Asian countries, and TROW.

Not looking good in the US and Canada based on Amazon yearly top 100 ranking(the most important ranking)
US
mBIhQcH.jpg

Canada
mikVnM4.jpg

I'm glad american is starting to leave the woke and toxic cultures behind.

I’m interested to see what your thoughts are now that the game has quickly ascended to #23 on this chart, 5 days before release. The only 2 games ahead of it are Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.

Political YouTubers said collector's edition were back instock because of the huge amount of canceled pre-orderes.

If this games sells better or sells nearly as much as Spider-Man during the first week, it's going to be funny to see the reaction from the "Go Woke, Go Broke" crowd.
not if there's massive returns. Doesn't Europe have very good consumer protections?

Star Wars - For the most part, the series has been good ever since they started making movies after episode 6. Star Wars episode 7-9 isn't criticized heavily for having a female lead character, the writing and plot is just awful.

Captain Marvel - There may be a few "woke" scenes that were cut, but the main problem is the marketing and how Brie Larson was advertising the movie. Despite all of this, the movie was successful.

Charles Angels - I never seen it, but we know the film has worked and it was successful. This film also suffered from a lack of marketing. A bitter and more recognizable cast would have help this film.

There's enough proof that movies with female lead characters can work. People always say a movie is woke just because they have a strong female lead character, which pretty dumb.
terminator, ghostbusters, female oceans, and I think the latest charlie's did bad too.

Why didn't captain marvel perform worse? it was connected to the highly anticipated infinity war.

. I don't think the vast majority of gamers are afraid of a lesbian lead character.
That's the tip of the iceberg and wouldn't even be an issue.
Please explain to me how TLOU has gone woke.
I don't think much can be discussed here, there are permabans for spoilers of unreleased games outside spoiler threads. Even hinting at the spoilers gets permabans, iirc.
Mortal Kombat 11 is "woke" and is one of the best selling fighting games of all time lol. It also increased it sales from its prior game
barely woke, slightly covering women is not heavy wokeism. When they start hating men openly, start hating whites, start hating christians, etc. Then you start to see wokeness unchecked.

When they put main leads as females, and paint male characters as inferior or bumbling buffoons, you'll know they've woken.
So what exactly is forced in this game that wasnt in the first? maybe other than Ellie having a love interest which is what goes along with the plot of revenge and hate because something tragic happens to Ellie which most likely results in her partner being killed.....it makes sense for the plot....seriously some of you people are overly sensitive

I don't think much can be discussed here, there are permabans for spoilers of unreleased games outside spoiler threads. Even hinting at the spoilers gets permabans, iirc.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
not if there's massive returns. Doesn't Europe have very good consumer protections?

terminator, ghostbusters, female oceans, and I think the latest charlie's did bad too.

Why didn't captain marvel perform worse? it was connected to the highly anticipated infinity war.

That's the tip of the iceberg and wouldn't even be an issue.
I think they just don't put all their pre-order stock up front. It's likely just a staggered release so more people can get a chance to pre-order the product.

I'm a collector and pre-orders always go in and out of stock before the product actually releases.

It also prevents from a lot of scalpers clearing out the stock just to resell on ebay a few hours later.

There are just a lot of different reasons why movies failed. The previous terminator film didn't do well at all and I guess people are just tired of the franchise.

People were excited to see Star Wars Episode 7, but based on how critical people were of Episode 7 and 8, many people didn't have faith in episode 9. Honestly, most Star Wars films outside of the original trilogy wasn't well received.

There's just other explanations other than "Go woke, go broke." I still think Ghostbusters would've flopped even with a male cast of terrible actors.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
and under in the NA, Asian countries, and TROW.

Not looking good in the US and Canada based on Amazon yearly top 100 ranking(the most important ranking)
US
mBIhQcH.jpg

Canada
mikVnM4.jpg

I'm glad american is starting to leave the woke and toxic cultures behind.

So is this bad now that The Last of Us Part II moved up?
2020 Best Selling Games of the Year

#18 Amazon Canada
#21 Amazon US

GooseMan69

So is this bad now that The Last of Us Part II moved up?
2020 Best Selling Games of the Year

#18 Amazon Canada
#21 Amazon US

Wow. Will almost certainly surpass Mario Kart before launch. That only leaves Animal Crossing, which is one of the best selling exclusives of all time.

This game is gonna be HUGE.

Top Bottom