• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Famitsu] Interview with Jim Ryan: Importance of Japanese market and games, Spider-Man 2 on PS5, PSVR2

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
playstation-president-and-ceo-jim-ryan-reveals-the-biggest-lessons-he-learned-form-launching-the-ps5-during-a-pandemic.jpg

Google Translated

About the Importance of Japan's market:

Ryan: The Japanese market has been and will continue to be one of the most important markets. The reason for this is, of course, that the Japanese market is the second largest in the world, but more important than simple statistics is that Japan is the birthplace of PS. In addition, there are many employees in Japan, and the fact that SIE is made possible by their activities is also a major point that emphasizes the Japanese market.

Also, Japan is an integral part of PS culture and is one of the central countries, so I think it is very special and important to be able to transmit in Japan within the PS brand.
There is another reason why the Japanese market is so important. That's because many of the famous titles were born in Japan. There are many titles that have been shining on our platform for nearly 30 years.
 " Final Fantasy ," " Monster Hunter ," " Tekken ," to name but a few, are countless masterpieces developed by Japanese developers and released by publishers. SIE has a long history of relationships with developers and publishers, so the Japanese market is extremely important in that sense as well.
――Among those strategies, is there anything in particular that you would like to focus on for Japan?

Ryan: It is to send out games that are highly compatible with the Japanese market. " ELDEN RING ", " Resident Evil RE:4 ", " Monster Hunter Rise ", " WILD HEARTS ", etc. have already been released on PS5. This game was born in Japan and was released in Japan.

It is very encouraging to see hit titles being created in Japan, and I am very grateful that there are many more titles scheduled to be released in addition to these titles. Most recently, we have FINAL FANTASY XVI and STREET FIGHTER 6 on the horizon, both of which will be huge and important launches for the world, but Japanese game fans will have a particularly high affinity for them. I think it will be a special launch.

About Spider-Man 2's PS5 development:

――PlayStation Studios plans to release Marvel's Spider-Man 2 in 2023. Please tell us your thoughts on this work.

Ryan: I'm sure Marvel's Spider-Man 2 will be a very exciting launch. Because " Marvel's Spider-Man " released on PS4 is the touchstone. The title was a huge success on PS4 and was enjoyed by millions of users.

The sequel, Marvel's Spider-Man 2, is being developed exclusively for PS5, so the developers have made no compromises. We ask them to focus on maximizing the functions of the PS5 and creating the best works. As a result, we've received feedback from game fans that it looks like they'll be able to enjoy really beautiful visuals and a wonderful experience.

About PlayStation Studios game sales numbers in Japan, Ryan says its "not interesting if a game is a hit in every region":

――Although PlayStation Studios' AAA titles have sold over 10 to 20 million units worldwide, sales in Japan often remain relatively small. Please tell us your frank thoughts about the software situation in Japan.

Ryan: Every market, not just Japan, has its own characteristics. That's why there is a difference between the market where the same title can sell and the market where it doesn't. Rather, it wouldn't be interesting if the same title was a hit in every region. We believe that business is never boring and exciting because each region where we sell games has its own characteristics and characteristics.

Among the PlayStation Studios upcoming announced games, Jim Ryan points out Rise of the Ronin as a game that is showing how they can offer studios serious marketing and publishing support, and how that is key for making hits:

Taking "Rise of the Ronin" as an example, Koei Tecmo Games is developing it as a developer, and we at SIE will use our extremely strong marketing power and distribution network to publish it. This combination technique is the secret to making the game a hit.

About changes in the Japanese market, and Ghost of Tsushima selling 1 Million units in Japan:

――How do you think the Japanese market is changing?

Ryan: I think Japanese game fans have changed a lot compared to the past. In the past, titles from Japanese manufacturers were popular, but recently they are enjoying titles from overseas manufacturers with an open mind. For example, " Ghost of Tsushima " has sold over 1 million copies in Japan (*). I think it proves just how popular the titles of foreign manufacturers are in Japan.
――What? The game has a lot of fans in Japan, so I think there are many users who will be happy with it.

Ryan: I just answered about the importance of the Japanese market, and based on these examples, I think the Japanese market is important, and it's an interesting and attractive market. I think one of the characteristics of Japan is the history of game culture and the assets that have been passed down from the past. It is precisely because of this that we are able to create more and more wonderful titles.

About PSVR2's success and future:

--What do you think about the popularity of PS VR2 hardware?

Ryan: PS VR2 has just been launched, so it may be a little early to judge its popularity, but we are happy to see many positive reactions from users and the media. I just listed some of the compatible titles, but more than 40 titles have been released around the launch of PS VR2. In addition, there are many titles ahead of us in 2023 and beyond. We will continue to push forward so that those who purchase PS VR2 can enjoy it for a long time and we can also secure profits.

Last edited:
You are not the CEO and Chairman of the most important division within a Japanese company, unless you speak Japanese. He annunciated with the proper inflections. Andrew House was fluent prior to him as well.

Nah, Jim's def not fluent. He was reading off a prompter in this vid and probably had significant coaching beforehand.

No-one fluent in a foreign tongue would speak in such a deliberately enunciated and awkward way as in that video.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah, Jim's def not fluent. He was reading off a prompter in this vid and probably had significant coaching beforehand.

No-one fluent in a foreign tongue would speak in such a deliberately enunciated and awkward way as in that video.
I did not say he was fluent, Andrew House was fluent. Reading and speaking are two different things as well when it's not your main language. I'm the opposite however, I can read Spanish/Italian out loud perfectly, but in a conversation, it sometimes get garbled.

You are not the CEO and Chairman of the most important division within a Japanese company, unless you speak Japanese. He annunciated with the proper inflections. Andrew House was fluent prior to him as well.
Exactly. I don't speak Japanese, but that sounded pretty convincing to me. Impressive. Even the English words he used were pronounced like a Japanese speaker would.

Last edited:
2-3 years for PC ports sounds about right. I think TLoU:p1 on PC was their trump card to puposefully show the public that these things can't be rushed

SEGA_2012

Terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE answers. Especially, the answer he gave to the second question was disgusting. This man needs to be fired and Kaz Hirai should be brought back ASAP.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
It essentially is. Team Asobi use the same location and the 3rd party support they did has been moved to Xdev Japan.
Eh...

a “vast majority” of Japan Studio’s developers have been laid off after their annual contracts weren’t renewed. What remains at the studio are the localization and business staff; as well as ASOBI Team, the developer of the Astro Bot series

And...

Japan Studio wanted to create games for the Japanese market first with global appeal, while PlayStation reportedly wanted Japan Studio to work on global hits, similar to its North American and European first-party teams.

Unknown?

Eh...

And...
Hmmm thanks for the information. How accurate is it though, obviously that second part was insider information. It has changed but I still think it's for the best considering how disjointed and inefficient Japan Studio was but maybe even that is inaccurate and it was corporate interference.

SirTerry-T

I just can't get the image out of my head that Jim Ryan (especially before he had his P.R approved contact lenses) looks like the bloke who would have been the "clever half" of a two man team taking part in an episode of "Bullseye", circa 1983

He would have talked a good game but completely fucked up the chances of him and his mate winning Bully's star prize of a Morris Ital when it came to chucking darts.

Top Bottom