• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan says The Last of Us Part II is ahead of Spider-Man in preorders in Europe

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It's going to be one of the best sellers of 2020 and one of the highest rated
Ok and? Irrelevant
AAA games sold more after going woke?

The saying is dumb because movies don't "go broke" just because they went "woke."

People love to talk about movies as proof when there's clearly another reason for a movie bombing in the box office.
Star Wars
Captain Marvel
Charles Angels

All movies so again irrelevant.

Anita was directly involved with Arkane at the time of Dishonored 2 and it's DLC and Prey - all bombs. At Bioware for Andromeda and Anthem - both laughingstock failures. BFV and it's #everyonebattlefield campaign - underperformed, worst selling and the most dead Battlefield in years.

Their mantra is "more representation=more sales" and yet going woke didn't expand the market at all for all these high-profile releases so the saying "go woke, go broke" is kind of true, in gaming at least.

The first TLOU was in development for years before the SJW movement, only Left behind was influenced by it so it doesn't count.

Witcher 3

What??? They complained about everything in that game and CD Projekt is cancelled.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Anita was directly involved with Arkane at the time of Dishonored 2 and it's DLC and Prey - all bombs. At Bioware for Andromeda and Anthem - both laughingstock failures. BFV and it's #everyonebattlefield campaign - underperformed, worst selling and the most dead Battlefield in years.

Their mantra is "more representation=more sales" and yet going woke didn't expand the market at all for all these high-profile releases so the saying "go woke, go broke" is kind of true, in gaming at least.

The first TLOU was in development for years before the SJW movement, only Left behind was influenced by it so it doesn't count.

Go woke, go broke has been said about mostly movies, not video games. So yes, it applies to movies too.

The problem with your argument is that you're blaming things bring "woke" for their failures when it's always not the case. People whined about females being in BFV, and now people are doing it with the new Assassins Creed game. It exploded with BFV because the director said, "You don't like women in Battlefield V? Don't buy it."

People called Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy woke because of strong female character in Nadine and female lead characters in the DLC. Both were successful.

You're cherry picking hard and it's really not working. If TLOU Part II is a critical success from people who actually played the game and it's considered among one of the best games of the generation by many gamers, then I guess you won't credit Anita for that since she hasn't really done anything with TLOU Part II.

You guys love to reach for insane narratives.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Ok and? Irrelevant

What??? They complained about everything in that game and CD Projekt is cancelled.
I thought you were alluding to a worse selling game than other games

REE Machine

Banned
Ok and? Irrelevant

That's totally false but ok

EDMIX

Spiderman is huge world wide. 2nd best selling exclusive. Probably wider name recognition.

Yes and no. Yes Spiderman is huge world wide, but it has always been a big name, why did the other Spiderman games fail? So before anyone tries to argue its selling cause the Spiderman IP is HUUUUUUUGE, we first need to question why that didn't help those past Spiderman games like this one.

Transformers also has a huge name world wide, didn't result in those games doing Call Of Duty numbers or something.

EDMIX

Go woke, go broke has been said about mostly movies, not video games. So yes, it applies to movies too.

The problem with your argument is that you're blaming things bring "woke" for their failures when it's always not the case. People whined about females being in BFV, and now people are doing it with the new Assassins Creed game. It exploded with BFV because the director said, "You don't like women in Battlefield V? Don't buy it."

People called Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy woke because of strong female character in Nadine and female lead characters in the DLC. Both were successful.

You're cherry picking hard and it's really not working. If TLOU Part II is a critical success from people who actually played the game and it's considered among one of the best games of the generation by many gamers, then I guess you won't credit Anita for that since she hasn't really done anything with TLOU Part II.

You guys love to reach for insane narratives.

This 100000%

Far Cry 5 was suppose to fail cause it was woke.....ends up being the best selling Far Cry game in history.
Mafia 3 was suppose to fail cause it was "woke", ends up becoming the best selling game in Mafia History
AC Odyssey lets you play as g..ggg..gurrrrrrllllls its da "wokez", will fail (ends up becoming fastest selling AC and breaks many other records)

SO we've heard this before many, many times.

Watch them be like "it will fail cause its woke" (breaks record unit sales)
Also them "it only did well cause every be a sheep doe" and or "those numbers must be fake, no one can disagree with me and no one exist that likes games that I hate"

GhostOfTsu

Banned
You're cherry picking hard and it's really not working.

How am I cherry picking when I only used games that Anita, their supreme leader, was directly involved with? I guess you don't want me to use them because they all failed.

That's totally false but ok

The tropes videos started in March 2013 and TLOU came out in June. Do you seriously believe they had time to go back and change things? Development was done. And GG was over a year later in 2014. You guys are so used to twisting history it's not going to work here. "Totally false" yeah right.

REE Machine

Banned
How am I cherry picking when I only used games that Anita, their supreme leader, was directly involved with? I guess you don't want me to use them because they all failed.

The tropes videos started in March 2013 and TLOU came out in June. Do you seriously believe they had time to go back and change things? Development was done. And GG was over a year later in 2014. You guys are so used to twisting history it's not going to work here. "Totally false" yeah right.
1. Bill was gay
2. Tess was a strong female character and told Joel what to do, not the other way around, she beat up a bunch of men herself without him at the deal he never showed up to
3. Marlene a strong female character was in charge of the fireflies.... a woman was in charge of a bunch of men, and by chance she was a minority
4. Ellie being what 12 took on a bunch of grown men and killed them herself too, she also disected and butchered david (a secondary villain who was a man) herself without joel
5. Joel needed Ellie, not the other way around, she was fine sacrificing herself no matter what "whatever it takes" I believe she stated, Joel used her for his own selfishness in redemption because of the loss of his daughter

twisting history....more like your neglecting it and that those things happened and were in the game. Did you even play or pay attention to part 1...?

Last edited:

Woggleman

People also said Horizon Zero Dawn was a woke feminist game and it ended up being one of the most popular new IPs of this generation. In general people tend to turn a blind eye to the outrage brigade from either side as long as the product is good quality. There are many games with progressive themes that do gangbusters. RDR2 had a strong woman and a half native and half black man is the strongest and most reliable members of the gang and it sold like hotcakes.

EDMIX

People also said Horizon Zero Dawn was a woke feminist game and it ended up being one of the most popular new IPs of this generation. In general people tend to turn a blind eye to the outrage brigade from either side as long as the product is good quality. There are many games with progressive themes that do gangbusters. RDR2 had a strong woman and a half native and half black man is the strongest and most reliable members of the gang and it sold like hotcakes.

By the time that game was done, we wanted Sadie to have her own DLC lol I think the issue with many gamers is, when the whole Anita youtube video stuff came out, many many gamers jumped at showing her that gaming did indeed have many female roles, from Tomb Raider to even Characters from The Last Of Us......only to then turn around and complain about characters from Tomb Raider and The Last Of Us.

Well....which is it?

Is she wrong and gaming is diverse and thats ok.

or is she WRONG and gaming is not FORCED to be "woke" and suddenly Tomb Raider and The Last Of Us bad and or agenda? Its just stupid if you ask me. Theses same people used Fear Effect as an example of diversity to SHOVE it to Anita, yet if that game was made today, right now, BRAND NEW IP and they never heard of it before....they would claim its an agenda, its woke and or conspiracy, mind control etc.

My stance on this has remained the same. Developers are allowed to create how they feel just, if Anita doesn't like it, she can make her own damn game. The same can be said for those who keep attacking any game with a demographic they don't like as being "woke". Its the same argument.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

They all failed for different reasons. Saying they failed because they were "woke" is a lie.

I’ve spent the past three months investigating the answers to those questions. From conversations with nearly a dozen people who worked on Mass Effect: Andromeda, all of whom spoke under condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to talk about the game, a consistent picture has emerged. The development of Andromeda was turbulent and troubled, marred by a director change, multiple major re-scopes, an understaffed animation team, technological challenges, communication issues, office politics, a compressed timeline, and brutal crunch.

Many games share some of these problems, but to those who worked on it, Andromeda felt unusually difficult. This was a game with ambitious goals but limited resources, and in some ways, it’s miraculous that BioWare shipped it at all. (EA and BioWare declined to comment for this article.)

All you're doing is saying, "It's Anita's fault".

Why don't you look at the real problems behind the games instead of blaming everything on "wokeness."

THEAP99

Banned
I really hope this game will break spider-man's 3.3 million opening weekend fastest-selling exclusive record.

Do you guys think they can break it?

In fact, I hope it does 4 million opening weekend. i think it's possible but it depends on reviews.
Universal acclaim like other ND game and it can for sure beat Spider-Man's record and possibly do 4 million opening weekend.

yeeeeeezy

Banned
I really hope this game will break spider-man's 3.3 million opening weekend fastest-selling exclusive record.

Do you guys think they can break it?

In fact, I hope it does 4 million opening weekend. i think it's possible but it depends on reviews.
Universal acclaim like other ND game and it can for sure beat Spider-Man's record and possibly do 4 million opening weekend.
Gonna depends on reviews. 95+ i think it’ll grab the record. Still, Spider-Man is such a juggernaut

sol_bad

Sony should be putting TLOU2 on PSNow day and date with it's release. Such a loooooost opportunity!!!

<______<

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Ok and? Irrelevant

Even if what saying was true, there's no evidence those games underperformed because of 'woke'. Andomeda is terrible example with the way 3 was receviced.

Anyway getting back to point, go woke go broke is just factually incorrect even if a piece of media was a failure, for what ever reasons losing money is not going broke, going broke implies they have ran out money.

So yeah go woke go broke thing is simply not true even examples where right and these pieces of entertainment where failing because of that, theirs simply not been case of someone ''running out of money'' like the statement implies.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Theses same people used Fear Effect as an example of diversity to SHOVE it to Anita, yet if that game was made today, right now, BRAND NEW IP and they never heard of it before....they would claim its an agenda, its woke and or conspiracy, mind control etc.

Ding ding ding*, you hit the nail on the head.

Some of you are underestimating the divide in the fanbase right now. You will see it in the numbers. This really isn't a game for the generation, mechanics, graphics, story imo are not pushing any boundaries in gaming. I don't know how some people don't see it but this game was made for the wrong reasons. You can see it in the reporting of development, you can see it in the marketing, and Druckmanns words, you can even see it in the story. It's a mess everywhere you look.

Jayjayhd34

Some of you are underestimating the divide in the fanbase right now. You will see it in the numbers. This really isn't a game for the generation, mechanics, graphics, story imo are not pushing any boundaries in gaming. I don't know how some people don't see it but this game was made for the wrong reasons. You can see it in the reporting of development, you can see it in the marketing, and Druckmanns words, you can even see it in the story. It's a mess everywhere you look.

I think your overestimating how many people will read spoilers, and simply care about SJW and woke movement heck most probably have no/little understanding of what either are.

EDMIX

Day 1. Already pre-ordered the special edition. The fact that this game is ahead of pre-orders of other Sony titles shows by the numbers, MOST don't care about this whole sjw, feelings fest thing.

Most are just not buying games or not buying games for such reasons man.

Wasn't Far Cry 5 suppose to fail for the same reasons? Remember that fake outrage and that um "divide in the fanbase" oh no it might be the LAST Far Cry game.

yet this game right now is killing it in the pre-order charts, but hey we should listen to those who are emotional and doing this cancel culture thing pretending they speak for the majority?

So The Last Of Us 2 is ahead of Spider Man....Spidermans opening sales...BEAT GOD OF WAR. God Of War sold 10 million, Spiderman sold 13 million.... I think maybe, just maybe you might be wrong on this (as many of you folks continue to be regarding this ala far CRY 5)

#1 best selling PS4 game for several weeks now on Amazon
#9 in THE ENTIRE GAMING CATOGORY on Amazon despite not being released yet.
#1 best selling PS4 game Gamestop
#1 best selling pre-order regardless of platform
#1 best selling pre-order Best Buy

Know what I think? Maybe you are wrong on this and maybe MOST of us don't actually care enough about that concept to not buy games..... Most just don't buy or not buy games based on such reasons.

"I think times are changing, fans are starting to speak with their wallets more."

Fans have ALWAYS HAD THE ABILITY TO SPEAK WITH THEIR WALLETS, don't know where you got this whole "starting to". You telling me we couldn't do that before? OH but NOW we can? smh. I think you need to simply realize gamers are doing that right now, like they did before, like they will CONTINUE to do in the future.

Like they are doing right now with The Last Of Us 2 with being #1 in pre-orders....

Last edited:

FranXico

Who claimed that this game was pushing boundaries? I saw solid, engaging gameplay with a good mix of stealth and action (bias to stealth, obviously). I can see others not caring much for that, but personally, I find it interesting for me.

If you are boycotting the game out of spite to Neil, fair enough. I think if this is the case, you are refusing to buy the game for the wrong reasons.

Know what I think? Maybe you are wrong on this and maybe MOST of us don't actually care enough about that concept to not buy games..... Most just don't buy or not buy games based on such reasons.

It's just my opinion I am probably wrong lol.

fc is an old game now, we're talking about the present, a big game like this being a disappointment would have much greater impact. Only time will tell.

Who claimed that this game was pushing boundaries? I saw solid, engaging gameplay with a good mix of stealth and action (bias to stealth, obviously). I can see others not caring much for that, but personally, I find it interesting for me.

If you are boycotting the game out of spite to Neil, fair enough. I think if this is the case, you are refusing to buy the game for the wrong reasons.

I watch the gameplay and all i see are higher rez graphics with added animation on characters.
I'm not buying this game because tlou2 story/direction has not captured my interest one bit, and I loved the first one. i'm way more excited for GOT, sjw crap has nothing to do with my decision even though I see it seeping out of Niels pores.

Edit: All I know is when it comes out peoples reaction of the game will be very interesting to see.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It's just my opinion I am probably wrong lol.

fc is an old game now, we're talking about the present, a big game like this being a disappointment would have much greater impact. Only time will tell.

Nothing wrong with having a view or an opinion, but my god, when the game is already #1 on several retailers sites and Sony themselves confirm the game is even surpassing their LAST 2 massive successes, its time to just give it a break. That alone should show you MOST do not share that opinion. Thats like me (someone who doesn't care for Call Of Duty anymore) saying something like "Some of you are underestimating the divide in the fanbase right now. You will see it in the numbers" be like "any minute now Call Of Duty is going to fail......soon...." (looks at watch),

Game goes on to be #1 across every single retailer breaking several records, but hey, tides are changing and MY VIEW IS THE MAJORITY AND the "divide" is real in the fanbase? My god man, this is the time to let it go, even with me not liking several series and many many games, I don't go around pretending FACTS DON'T EXIST, as in me not liking the direction of the series, must mean a "divide" is happening in the fanbase and or "fans are starting to speak with their wallets more" as if that wasn't already happening or something.

So I don't play fortnite, I didn't play the current Call Of Duty, or Madden or Fifa or anything like that....

I also don't go around saying stuff like "fans are starting to speak with their wallets more" as if to disrespectfully entertain that they didn't have that power BEFORE, but now they must have woke up to me preaching for them to buy what I like or "underestimating the divide in the fanbase" or "You will see it in the numbers" etc. This is just too much. Its waaaay to far over the line. I don't like Call Of Duty, but my feelings are not a real "divide" in that fanbase. They like it, thus it moves massive numbers. aka reality. Me not liking Fortnite doesn't mean "oh you will see it in the numbers" that I don't like it.....ummm enough clearly play it to show ME NOT LIKING IT IS IRRELEVANT.

If anyone is going to even depute this whole "You will see it in the numbers", at the very least, look up those numbers on pre-orders and show us how much are supposedly not buying it, cause those "numbers" deeply contradict what you are saying. This is just beyond simply an opinion. I think the current COD sucks, I'm not claiming some major "fanbase divide". I'm not claiming we'll see it in some numbers and I'm not going around pretending that magically fans could not speak with their wallets and now "fans are starting to speak with their wallets more." as if they NEVER had that choice to support not buying a Call Of Duty.

I simply concede that others actually like the game that I DON'T LIKE! Thats reality of this.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with having a view or an opinion, but my god, when the game is already #1 on several retailers sites and Sony themselves confirm the game is even surpassing their LAST 2 massive successes, its time to just give it a break. That alone should show you MOST do not share that opinion. Thats like me (someone who doesn't care for Call Of Duty anymore) saying something like "Some of you are underestimating the divide in the fanbase right now. You will see it in the numbers" be like "any minute now Call Of Duty is going to fail......soon...." (looks at watch),

Game goes on to be #1 across every single retailer breaking several records, but hey, tides are changing and MY VIEW IS THE MAJORITY AND the "divide" is real in the fanbase? My god man, this is the time to let it go, even with me not liking several series and many many games, I don't go around pretending FACTS DON'T EXIST, as in me not liking the direction of the series, must mean a "divide" is happening in the fanbase and or "fans are starting to speak with their wallets more" as if that wasn't already happening or something.

So I don't play fortnite, I didn't play the current Call Of Duty, or Madden or Fifa or anything like that....

I also don't go around saying stuff like "fans are starting to speak with their wallets more" as if to disrespectfully entertain that they didn't have that power BEFORE, but now they must have woke up to me preaching for them to buy what I like or "underestimating the divide in the fanbase" or "You will see it in the numbers" etc. This is just too much. Its waaaay to far over the line. I don't like Call Of Duty, but my feelings are not a real "divide" in that fanbase. They like it, thus it moves massive numbers. aka reality. Me not liking Fortnite doesn't mean "oh you will see it in the numbers" that I don't like it.....ummm enough clearly play it to show ME NOT LIKING IT IS IRRELEVANT.

If anyone is going to even depute this whole "You will see it in the numbers", at the very least, look up those numbers on pre-orders and show us how much are supposedly not buying it, cause those "numbers" deeply contradict what you are saying. This is just beyond simply an opinion. I think the current COD sucks, I'm not claiming some major "fanbase divide". I'm not claiming we'll see it in some numbers and I'm not going around pretending that magically fans could not speak with their wallets and not "fans are starting to speak with their wallets more." as if they NEVER had that choice to support not buying a Call Of Duty.

I simply concede that others actually like the game that I DON'T LIKE! Thats reality of this.

All high and mighty up in here. Relax.

EDMIX

All high and mighty up in here. Relax.

Just giving you the facts.

You being upset over something doesn't actually mean you speak for the majority as the numbers show most don't care. So thats not "high and mighty" thats just reality, as in facts....as in me not liking Call Of Duty doesn't mean shit, but you thought your opinion on this game was going to make it suddenly no longer be number 1 on several retailers?

I'd say thats as high and mighty as it gets man.

LarknThe4th

Sonys heavy hitters are putting up big numbers this generation, should be good for the industry as a whole, will push Microsoft to continue the first party investment(which they have been doing a great job with)

You being upset over something doesn't actually mean you speak for the majority as the numbers show most don't care. So thats not "high and mighty" thats just reality, as in facts....as in me not liking Call Of Duty doesn't mean shit, but you thought your opinion on this game was going to make it suddenly no longer be number 1 on several retailers?

upset? Speaking for majority? what are you talking about? Some of you are a little to emotional about a video game, take this passion to a political thread it will be much more appreciated.

LarknThe4th

I would agree with this, preference nearly always clouds perspective

It's clear it will make bank, If one is not really a fan of Naughty Dogs games the solution seems obvious, just dont engage with that eco system, dont buy the games and spend elsewhere

It's what I do anyway, live and let live and all that craic

Eanox

Smash Bros Ultimate 2018, Animal Crossing 2020, Super Mario Odyssey 2017, and etc became the yearly top seller when the game far from the release date.
Smash Bros Ultimate 2018, Animal Crossing 2020, Super Mario Odyssey 2017, and etc became the yearly top seller when the game far from the release date.

lol. You are comparing a M-rated game to an E-rated game. That’s why I find it silly when their is a comparison from PS Exclusive to a Nintendo exclusive.

But the beauty of these comparison is how Playstation exclusive is being compared now to the best seller of Nintendo. I find it amusing because you cannot do it before. It means PS exclusive are nintendo tier sellers now.
  • 5 games that sold more than 10M. Possible 6 or 7 if Gotsu is successful.
  • 4 games that possibly sold more than 15M.
  • 1 or 2 games possibly that sold 20M.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Maybe I am part of that "woke outrage squad", but I never even implied, that this game won't sell or that it's going to have a bad ratings from big sites, because they went woke, even before games. So yeah. But I am not going to buy it, I am sure I would hate it as I hated ME: Andromeda. And I have to keep myself in a good mood.

So as always I hope that people who put their hard earned money on the line, that they get best of that : )

turtlepowa

Banned
Why are some people so obsessed with high sales numbers of exclusive games? i couldn't care less how often a game sells as long as i have fun with it. Wouldn't be too suprirised if i would find the numbers on pornhub....

Silent Duck

Not gonna lie, despite however the story may play out, the gameplay In that last video looks really good. Ellie seems to be a less psychotic version of Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider reboot series. :messenger_winking:
“You can do it, Ellie.”

Add some interrogations into this game, and it could almost be the Punisher game I‘ve always wanted. Could always use criminals raging on super drugs, instead of fungus zombies. And, of course, they would need to get Tom Jane back to do the voice.

xhJFTuv.gif

For the love of Galactus, please, somebody remaster this game.

EDMIX

Speaking for majority? what are you talking about?

This bud.

Some of you are underestimating the divide in the fanbase right now. You will see it in the numbers.

As in to say,. your hurt feelings will translate into some massive difference in sales. Yet when we start talking about those "numbers" and provide links, suddenly everyone needs to "relax" and suddenly we need to move to " a political thread" because you can't take reality? As to why those factual numbers don't really support that "divide" claim as much as you'd hope. Come on man. You going to need to get use to that you don't actually speak for the majority of gamers and keep this on topic.

We are "underestimating the divide in the fanbase" yet no numbers support this claim..... This would be as silly as if someone was upset over Call Of Duty and proceeded to try to argue we "underestimating the divide in the fanbase" and yup, those new "numbers" will show that everyone sides with Shino.

So trying to change the subject and move to another thread tells me you don't really have much to REALLY back up this whole "underestimating the divide in the fanbase" thing.
We heard that same talk with Far Cry 5 and Mafia 3 only for them to become the best selling games in their series.....

Maybe, juuuuuuuuust maybe, you don't actually speak for the majority to be claiming some "divide in the fanbase" because I don't see any numbers to back that up.

you are a little to emotional about a video game,

Emotional? Sir...I don't buy my games based on anything political, I don't refuse to buy a game based on anything political. I'd argue that is as emotional as it gets. You can help yourself to that political thread too btw, not joining you. I'm not sure what that has to do with the conversation as thats sounding like that has more to do with your feelings about this then the actual game itself.

Thats like a person reallllly trying to convince you that Eminem's new album will fail despite breaking pre-order records and claim they have zero religious bias at all then be like "join me in the religion thread"

edit. added to the ignore list btw. Asking to go to a political thread with you pretty much confirmed this just doesn't have to REALLY do with a video game. Credibility lost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom