• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan says The Last of Us Part II is ahead of Spider-Man in preorders in Europe

Rolla

Banned
Haters right now be like

2nDF1K.gif

Last edited:

Blessed Barry

Neo Member
Spiderman is huge world wide. 2nd best selling exclusive. Probably wider name recognition.

Sure but name recognition doesn't necessarily translate to big pre-order numbers, i mean there have been many Spider-man games that didn't sell millions and were kinda mediocre. The game looked good, but I dunno I always assumed big hyped sequels get more pre-orders than new franchises that haven't proved themselves yet

GhostOfTsu

Banned
***I put this reply in the wrong thread but it stills kinda fit here. Good news that it's selling well***

The game is more than some controversial story elements. I know that Neil tried to push his ideals or whatever but in the end so what? I read and watched many books and movies that I don't always agree with and I still enjoyed them. I'm not that weak that I have to agree 100% with media. I have my own opinions and no game will influence them.

The gameplay looks fantastic and it's a 20+ hours game so just roll your eyes when you see the Anita-approved content lol

Last edited:

Goncas2

No surprise here.
Spiderman sold worse than Horizon Zero Dawn in Europe.

But the game was massive in the US

Where did you get that info from? According to VGChartz, Spider-man had more first week sales in Europe than Horizon. I know VGChartz isn't the most reliable source but they're the only numbers I found.

THEAP99

Banned
It should be the most pre-ordered game ever for a PlayStation exclusive. Sony needs to start marketing it more.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Political YouTubers said collector's edition were back instock because of the huge amount of canceled pre-orderes.

If this games sells better or sells nearly as much as Spider-Man during the first week, it's going to be funny to see the reaction from the "Go Woke, Go Broke" crowd.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it common sense, I mean TLOU2 is hyped sequel and Spider-Man was first game in the franhcise.

Guess you can consider me a hater since I watched the footage but I never expected the game to sell baddly, but I do expect a bad reaction to it if it goes down the way the leaks imply,
Spider-man is well established

REE Machine

Banned
Maybe it is not as woke as people say it is so it is not going broke.
I dont think it has to do with being or not being woke its a minority group of people who yell the loudest that want attention for it. I mean I even saw youtubers who never talk games talk about the "controversy" because it got them easy clicks with their fan base

Three

and under in the NA, Asian countries, and TROW.

Not looking good in the US and Canada based on Amazon yearly top 100 ranking(the most important ranking)
US
mBIhQcH.jpg

Canada
mikVnM4.jpg

I'm glad american is starting to leave the woke and toxic cultures behind.
Why would you use the yearly ranking for an unreleased game? Why not use this?

GhostOfTsu

Banned
If this games sells better or sells nearly as much as Spider-Man during the first week, it's going to be funny to see the reaction from the "Go Woke, Go Broke" crowd.
But I thought it was going to go broke from being "woke" 😉

Never bet against the Dogs
But wait, I was informed that when one goes “woke”, one indeed goes “broke.”

Is this not the case?
Maybe it is not as woke as people say it is so it is not going broke.

Please name another AAA game that sold more when they went "woke"? TLOU2 will be the only and last exception because TLOU, Sony and ND are way too big to fail so you shouldn't use it as some kind of "victory" when all the others underperformed or failed until now.

Why would you use the yearly ranking for an unreleased game? Why not use this?
Smash Bros Ultimate 2018, Animal Crossing 2020, Super Mario Odyssey 2017, and etc became the yearly top seller when the game far from the release date.

Last edited:

Woggleman

TLOU2 will be the video game equivalent to Fury Road. It will have progressive elements and some people will get mad but in the end the quality will speak for itself. The Ghostbusters remake failed because it sucked and not because it had women in it. Captain Marvel despite the backlash actually did very well at the box office.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Please name another AAA game that sold more when they went "woke"? TLOU2 will be the only and last exception because TLOU, Sony and ND are way too big to fail so you shouldn't use it as some kind of "victory" when all the others underperformed or failed until now.
It's going to be one of the best sellers of 2020 and one of the highest rated

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

AAA games sold more after going woke?

The saying is dumb because movies don't "go broke" just because they went "woke."

People love to talk about movies as proof when there's clearly another reason for a movie bombing in the box office.

Star Wars - For the most part, the series has been good ever since they started making movies after episode 6. Star Wars episode 7-9 isn't criticized heavily for having a female lead character, the writing and plot is just awful.

Captain Marvel - There may be a few "woke" scenes that were cut, but the main problem is the marketing and how Brie Larson was advertising the movie. Despite all of this, the movie was successful.

Charles Angels - I never seen it, but we know the film has worked and it was successful. This film also suffered from a lack of marketing. A bitter and more recognizable cast would have help this film.

There's enough proof that movies with female lead characters can work. People always say a movie is woke just because they have a strong female lead character, which pretty dumb.

The Last of Us 2 is in a very different situation. Most of the leaks that received a lot of backlash are fake. Unless you hate a lot of lead characters in the story, there's nothing "woke" about the narrative as far as we know about the story so far.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
and under in the NA, Asian countries, and TROW.

Not looking good in the US and Canada based on Amazon yearly top 100 ranking(the most important ranking)
US
mBIhQcH.jpg

Canada
mikVnM4.jpg

I'm glad american is starting to leave the woke and toxic cultures behind.

This is so dumb. lol.

The 3 Nintendo games you picked sold 17 million copies and above. These games are targeted towards people of all ages while The Last of Us Part II is for teens and adults.

You picked Switch games because they're the highest selling exclusives and you want to try to push your own narrative.

Here's the reality.

- The game will likely sell close to Spider-Man's numbers during the opening week.
- It appears to be selling better than another big title that was announced in Assassin's Creed Valhalla
- It also appears to be selling better than Ghost of Tsushima, which is another big AAA sony title that's going to release a month later.

Things are looking good. I don't think the vast majority of gamers are afraid of a lesbian lead character.

sobaka770

Banned
TLoU2 will probably be there biggest PlayStation exclusive only rivaled maybe by God of War. The whole woke outrage is going to look silly when the sales numbers come in and it turns out that the game is a superb piece of art, highly acclaimed and only a small group of internet bigots actually didn't buy the game and the only loss is theirs.

Gexxy1

This is so dumb. lol.

The 3 Nintendo games you picked sold 17 million copies and above. These games are targeted towards people of all ages while The Last of Us Part II is for teens and adults.
M-rated games sell the most and review the best on average, so this is a moot point.

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
Witcher 3

Top Bottom