• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: All future cross-gen titles, including God of War and GT7, will be $10 upgrades from PS4 to PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratyush

Its a 10$ upgrade. PS4 is 59$. PS5 is 69$. If you want PS5 version, you have to pay the difference. Not sure what is so difficult for you people to understand there? I am sure PS5 version will play on PS4 as well.

Last edited:

elliot5

Its a 10$ upgrade. PS4 is 59$. PS5 is 69$. If you want PS5 version, you have to pay the difference. Not sure what is so difficult for you people to understand there?
If you understood there is no $10 upgrade for PS4. You have to pay $20 for the digital deluxe up front.

If you buy standard, physical or digital, there is no path to upgrade to ps5 at all. No $10 upgrade.

Last edited:

MScarpa

I wonder how many concerned people actually have PS5s and are actually planning on getting Forbidden West day before the sale you know is coming.

Hell, beyond a couple graphical upgrades if that 10 bucks irks you so just play the PS4 enhanced version on PS5......the PS4 version is going to be enhanced right?
Right?

P.S Ive already come to terms with the current gen games costing me 70 bucks if I day one them.
There is no SP game coming soon that im going to day one so as long as I can stomach a month or 2 of FOMO its all good.
Okay cept maybe SIFU....and Elden Ring....and Dying Light 2.

P.P.S Might actually just wait for the PC version anyway.
I will just wait for a sale on it but yes I do have a PS5 and I will purchase the game. I only buy new games on sale or used games. My backlog is so big going back to PS2 and OG Xbox days that I can wait a few months to save 20$ or 30$.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I know this is a weird idea

But does anyone here really bother getting this game on PS4 in the first place ?

Thr graphics and visual fidelity advantage alone is enough reason for me to just get on for PS5

McCarth

If you understood there is no $10 upgrade for PS4. You have to pay $20 for the digital deluxe up front.

If you buy standard, physical or digital, there is no path to upgrade to ps5 at all. No $10 upgrade.
The game isn't out yet. And Sony has already set that precedent with GoT. You're telling me people are whining because the option isn't displayed? Please. That's absolutely NOT why people are whining.

Kiraly

CzD1leF.png

"we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions FOR FREE"

"pie_tears_joy: "pie_tears_joy: "pie_tears_joy:

Last edited:

elliot5

The game isn't out yet. And Sony has already set that precedent with GoT. You're telling me people are whining because the option isn't displayed? Please. That's absolutely NOT why people are whining.
The title of the thread is misleading and I've already posted here that they didn't promise a free upgrade for Horizon even if it was worded strangely.

In a FAQ they stated the way to get both is via digital deluxe. If there was a $10 upgrade option why wouldn't they mention it there? This is new precedent which is why it's noteworthy. Would've saved the PR headache if they made it clear there was an upgrade path.

cormack12

Gold Member
E elliot5 for some reason I can't quote your post. Saying you can choose to view something as a good thing from a specific point of view is not the same thing as saying this is definitively a good thing. The certain point of view in this case was from the perspective of someone who can't get a PS5 and doesn't want to buy the same game twice. The alternate point of view being someone who is not interested in upgrading their PS4, buying a different device or just bowing out of games I guess.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The PS5 version is $10 more. PS5 games are more expensive, you might not like it, but that's what happened. So if you want the game for both consoles, you pay the extra $10 the PS5 version costs.

Ghost of Tsushima felt like a cash grab because of what offered for those extra $10. If you're pissed at the $70 price tag, fine. If the games were the same price, I'd understand being pissed at the lack of free upgrade. But they're not.
Ghost of Tsushima upgrade to PS5 is a bag of shit for PS4 owners who paid Sony full price for the game. There is no "pay $10" option for PS4 owners to get the PS5 version of that game unless you also buy the DLC on PS4 for $20. That means day 1 PS4 buyers end up paying $90 for a game that's all in for $70 on PS5. People have a right to be pissed about being hung out to dry that way. Moral of the story is to just not buy Sony first party until the prices drop or they figure out how to not make cross gen upgrades a total shitshow.

xion4360

Its a 10$ upgrade. PS4 is 59$. PS5 is 69$. If you want PS5 version, you have to pay the difference. Not sure what is so difficult for you people to understand there? I am sure PS5 version will play on PS4 as well.
The Q&A section says this is not an option. have they already retracted?

Gamerguy84

Your literally picking out third party games, MS cant control that they even said if a company wants to do Smart Delivery they can do, from top of my head the only games to do this was COD and NBA but seems other companies a trying to follow suit to get more money, majority though just add the upgrade with the Xbox One version for free
This version is $89.99 or $71.99 if you already have GPU.

This version is $119.99 or $95.99 if you have GPU

With flight sim you get the standard version with game pass ultimate. If you want the rest of the game it costs you.

Forza is the same way.

ethomaz

Banned

They straight up said Horizon Forbidden West would have a free upgrade from PS4 to PS5 version and NO mention of this focused on Launch PS5 games only. In face they even said we know PS4 owners will upgrade to PS5 at different times so we are happy to announce these games INCLUDING Horizon Forbidden West would have a free upgrade path.

Read again... they did said launch PS5 titles will have free upgrade path.

Oh I see... so because Sony delayed the game out of the launch window its OK for them to now charge for the game they said would be free originally. Sound logic Dude!
It was never a launch title... what delay are you talking about?
You guys are crazy.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

With flight sim you get the standard version with game pass ultimate. If you want the rest of the game it costs you.

Forza is the same way.
You have literally picked the worst example ever.

You get the huge base game of Flight Simulator in all its glory with your GP Subscription, FS is stacked without the DLC what point are you trying to make with "If you want the rest of the game".

xion4360

Forza is the same way.
what do you mean "the rest of the game"? its a higher cost edition, not the rest of the game. are you trying to compare this to NOT getting Horizon PS5 version if you buy the PS4 version? what kind of BS is that...

ethomaz

Banned
I was on Twitter and I noticed the outrage and people talking about Sony being anti-consumers. I had no idea the PS4 version was $10 cheaper and that you can upgrade by basically paying the cost of the PS5 version.

I was pissed at the 10$ upgrade for Ghost of Tsushima, but THIS is a non-issue.
To be fair I don't know if this game will have a $10 upgrade path but looking for the previous titles it is likely.
But the versions are priced different that is a fact.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
To be fair I don't know if this game will have a $10 upgrade path but looking for the previous titles it is likely.
But the versions are priced different that is a fact.
This whole thread is about how they explicitly are stating there is zero upgrade path. Their messaging is just this bad that everyone is confused on multiple different levels.

Casual consumers are literally going to buy the game and find out after the fact that there is no upgrade available. Even enthusiast gamers on here can't understand their policy.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Heres what im gona do

Im just get this game on PS5 and pretend PS4 version dont exist

I dont wana stuck with an inferior version of the game so theres my reason

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

You have literally picked the worst example ever.

You get the huge base game of Flight Simulator in all its glory with your GP Subscription, FS is stacked without the DLC what point are you trying to make with "If you want the rest of the game".
Its not literally the worst example. Your missing out on quite a bit without that.

The whole point and why I quoted was pricing. Even MS charges premium pricing and that's the point

Mr.ODST

Its not literally the worst example. Your missing out on quite a bit without that.

The whole point and why I quoted was pricing. Even MS charges premium pricing and that's the point
Different Prices for special editions ... not for the same game.

Your trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, your not even on the same length of what this conversation is about just clutching at straws.

Keihart

Does the Regallia edition comes with a flying car?

Anyway, penny grabbing PS strikes again, from the PC ports exclusives and the 70 price tag creators.
We'll charge you again because we can, and you're gonna love it!

Best place to play

iu

ethomaz

Banned
somehow you are still confused.
No confuse at all.

The FAQ is talking about Dual entitlement... to have both versions.

The upgrade path... you have the PS4 version, pay $10 and lose the PS4 version and after that you can only download the PS5 version... Sony didn't explain or talk about the $10 upgrade but when games get released it is there.

Of course it could not be the case of this game but that is how it worked with previous games.

There's always some catch when it comes to Sony, but as long as core fans continue to accept these decisions and don't rationally disagree/call them out, they will simply continue to do them.

Taking these moments to do stupid whataboutisms WRT Microsoft or Nintendo isn't going to give Sony's upper brass pause to potentially reconsider questionable business practices. If anything it'll just make them chuckle while finding ways to implement more.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Buy the game specifically for ps4 in order to play the same game again on ps5?

tenor.gif

Why dont just get the superior version straight on ps5 like me?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Every generation the market leader has to do some form of dumb shit. Sony is just following the trend. This is fucking stoooooopid!

Keihart

All of this mess because of 10 arbitrary extra dollars that were never needed but they are trying to push.
Meanwhile during the PS3 era most PS games even some non first party ones were, you buy it once and you get it on every PS platform available....

iu

Last edited:
the fact you think I need to articulate something so clearly stated says a lot.

You're complaining about no upgrade path. He's saying the upgrade path should be available at launch like they've done previously

Not sure what you're struggling with here. That's why you need to articulate

Last edited:

xion4360

You're complaining about no upgrade path. He's saying the upgrade path should be available at launch like they've done previously

Not sure what you're struggling with here. That's why you need to articulate
so you also are willfully ignoring the fact that they have told you there is no upgrade path? they made a clear point to let you know with GoT that you could upgrade by paying the difference, why would they not here?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom