• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: "Ubisoft definitely already did the rounds proposing acquisitions "

Shut0wen

Yeah, Ubisoft has plenty of great IP that anyone would want, problem is they have was too many employees and studios. Here's the list:
Ubisoft studios under its own name;
  • Ubisoft Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
  • Ubisoft Annecy
  • Ubisoft Barcelona
  • Ubisoft Blue Byte, Düsseldorf, Germany
  • Ubisoft Blue Byte Mainz, Germany
  • Ubisoft Casablanca, Morocco
  • Ubisoft Chengdu, China
  • Ubisoft Düsseldorf, Germany
  • Ubisoft Japan
  • Ubisoft Milan, Italy
  • Ubisoft Montpellier, France
  • Ubisoft Monthreal, Canada
  • Ubisoft Nagoya, Japan
  • Ubisoft Paris, France
  • Ubisoft Poland
  • Ubisoft Pune, India
  • Ubisoft Quebec, Canada
  • Ubisoft Bucharest, Romania
  • Ubisoft San Francisco, California, United States
  • Ubisoft Shanghai, China
  • Ubisoft Singapore
  • Ubisoft Sofia, Bulgaria
  • Ubisoft Toronto, Canada
  • Ubisoft Ukraine

32 studios. Nobody wants to deal with all that.

They should sell individual studios and IPs or break up into smaller companies instead of trying to sell it all.
Problem is with ubi is they have all these studios yet employ people with nothing more then a degree, all there main forces is from Canada they do most of the leg work, they should actually encourage there small studios (which is 90% of them) to work on smaller indie games because right now ubi is pretty fucked, we aint gunna see a big new ip from them in a long time but ive heard rumours from friends that work at reflections that ubi is close to securing a deal with fifa

They don't have any studios worth absorbing and they don't have any IP worth owning...

They're like a worse version of Konami...

What? Any console manufacturer who bought Konami would be a huge deal.

Ubisoft absolutely not. Ubisoft define generic. Average. Basic. Rayman doesn't get the love it deserves, neither does Prince of Persia, though I'm entirely aware they don't own that IP. Watch dogs was a pile of shit as well as the controversy it brought. There's tonnes of games on the market you could buy over any Tom Clancy title that be exactly like it. Far Cry and assassin's creed titles are becoming copy paste jobs.

Ubisoft are seriously forgetting to innovate or make compelling games. You look at some of the shit they've pumped out these past ten years and you can see why the CEO is like come on guys, we need to do better.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
They will let them. Nothing is blocking that purchase.
Access to japanese market.
They already have bethesda, and going to get activision.

Ubisoft is excessive at this point for them. They need japanese entry point, and sega can help them acheive that.

One thing is certain: no one can ever accuse you of ever losing your faith in... whatever this is.

I dont know your angle here. So tell me, why MS cant buy Sega?
Because the Japanese government historically has very strict laws regarding foreign investment before, requiring very long periods of commitment after a public declaration of acquisition/merger intent (or anything that goes above 10% of a Japanese company's shares). And not happy with that, after COVID they've been changing the laws every year to ensure that no relevant IP, industry and relevant stakeholders ever leave the country.

But I'm sure your faith will never falter and you'll firmly believe Microsoft is going to buy Activision and then SEGA and then Square Enix and then Meta and then Nigeria and then Russia and then China and then the Moon and then Mars and then Jupiter and then everything and everyone else.
It's like this idealized concept of singularity but owned by Microsoft.

cireza

No one needs Saga.
y3kNXg.gif

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But I'm sure your faith will never falter and you'll firmly believe Microsoft is going to buy Activision and then SEGA and then Square Enix and then Meta and then Nigeria and then Russia and then China and then the Moon and then Mars and then Jupiter and then everything and everyone else.
It's like this idealized concept of singularity but owned by Microsoft.
Michael Jordan Lol GIF

feynoob

As long as I have enough skuma on my side.

Mind you if Ubisoft owns alot of studios over EU to come to think of it Sony could use that and make alot of different studios for different criteria that puts it as if u brought 2 publishers

Droxcy

Most people wanting to buy them are waiting for them to drop into the goodwill dollar bin, whoever gets them is getting some good franchises hopefully they can change the culture there as well.

coffinbirth

I can see Ubisoft getting broken up and parted out. Rayman and Rabbids could go to Nintendo, Microsoft could scoop up Splinter Cell, everyone could fight over Assassins Creed and the Tom Clancy license and everything else absorbed by Embracer Group or Tencent...or both.

IDGAF either way, as Ubisoft means nothing to me....except for Rayman. I just want a new Rayman game.

Ronin_7

I mean Grubb knows things sometimes and has devs tell him things.

That's worlds away from knowing something about Ubisoft shopping them around to multiple companies and what their reactions might have been.

:doubt:

Beyond that he's just repeating what everyone knows about Ubisoft. Their revenue per employee has got to be the worst in the industry.
Grub also said Sony was acquiring Square Enix lmao

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Grub also said Sony was acquiring Square Enix lmao
All he said was.. that was the rumor going around.

And it was going around.. all over the place.

Grubb is annoying but he USUALLY differentiates between rumor and what he claims to know to be fact (leaks.)

And he has leaked stuff..

All leakers are fucking annoying though.. we gain nothing from leaks or rumors.. only the gossiping talking head/streamers/web sites gain from it.

Rush2112

Banned
I wish someone would buy splinter cell and reboot the franchise. We need a good non - woke military stealth game. Especially after the tragedy of Ghost Recon.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
I can see Ubisoft getting broken up and parted out. Rayman and Rabbids could go to Nintendo, Microsoft could scoop up Splinter Cell, everyone could fight over Assassins Creed and the Tom Clancy license and everything else absorbed by Embracer Group or Tencent...or both.

IDGAF either way, as Ubisoft means nothing to me....except for Rayman. I just want a new Rayman game.

Honestly makes the most sense if the big 3 just sent out a joint email.

Nintendo take - Raymond, Rabbids, any other platformers they hold.
Sony take Assassins creed, their most popular franchise but would do we’ll in their hands throw in the Division also.
Xbox - Splinter Cell & Far Cry.

All perfect fits.

plip.plop

I don't think Sony, Nintendo, or MS is interested in UbiSoft. The more likely contenders will be Embracer group or Tencent. I think in the future for MS to want to acquire any publisher or dev besides their IPs (mindshare) will also be based on their mobile games catalog/presence.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Ubisoft is fucking trash
This is the same as dating a girl all your mates already fucked.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
Ubisoft have circa 20k employees.

That's hard for any company to absorb.

To put it into context, that's more than Bethesda, playground games, obsidian and even Activision, if that goes through, combined that Microsoft has taken on.

You get a limited amount of successful IP with a reoccurring headache of paying all those employees.

If I were UBI I'd be hawking some of those as 3rd party support studios whilst I got the main house in order getting the pillar franchises out.

VN1X

Banned
Microsoft clearly won a lot of people over when you see how many posters, here, just want them to buy every (big, medium or small) studios that declare they may want to be buyed.
"buyed"

Expected nothing less from a green rat.

Here's a fun fact:

As of today Ubisoft is only Worth 2.5B €, less than a Billion of what SONY paid Bungie.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/UBI...ltES2Z4_dBRdt7qDMusAYYupTapafh20a_qqBjnSsXf05
Bungie wasn't worth the price Sony paid for them.
If someone bought Ubisoft it would be for a lot more than 2.5b probably.

Anyway...they really don't have much that would interest Sony or MS tbh...

The only good thing about this MS and Activision acquisition is the fact all these big acquisitions are now stopped. (hard to believe in a few days it'll be a year since that acquisition was announced. where did a year just go like this?)

wolffy71

Banned
Is that too many exclusives for anyone? Ftc better shut it down.

Just go out of business Ubisoft, it's the fairest thing to do.

Top Bottom