• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Sony’s Obsession With Blockbusters Is Stirring Unrest Within PlayStation Empire

supernova8

Banned
Shawn Layden is obviously extremely bitter, but honestly that guy was way worse than Jim Ryan

he turned E3 into a zen garden flute fest after a brilliant few E3s under Andrew House

I was honestly concerned about the direction of Sony under Layden.

Yeah absolutely remember that white dude playing the flute at E3.
Almost as cringe as the old Xbox Kinect presentation kids shit

Hinedorf

Banned
As somebody who absolutely hates The Last of Us completely on the rails style of gameplay based around a horribly depressing story of which I will never participate in.... I've been patiently waiting for Sony to put something on the plate that makes PS5 really worth it. Knowing they're focused on remastering a game that came out what 1-2 years ago is really frustrating.

Nintendo about to dominate the next generation with the most inferior hardware while Sony/Microsoft have dicks in hands crying covid.

MHRISE_Gathering_Hub_Canteen.jpg

bender

What time is it?
Many gamers are hypocrites, they complain about sequels but if they don't get a sequel to a game they like they complain about that as well.

It is funny that people act as if Sony doesn't do small games ore new IP, Horizon, Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima were all AAA new IP's released on the PS4 so yes they focus on something with big potential but that's what makes the most sense. Saying they don't do small games is also not true, they make we had Sackboy's adventure at launch and Dreams and concrete genie launched on PS4 not that long ago, over the life of the PS4 there were a lot of smaller types of games and those are usually the ones people say "don't waste time with that stuff" when it's shown at a press conference lol.

I don't begrudge Sony creating blockbusters, they move hardware and sell a gajillion copies even if, for the most part, they aren't my cup of tea.

Most people also aren't saying that Sony doesn't do new IP or smaller titles, but it would be hard to not see the shift in their focus. They want blockbuster titles that have a heavy emphasis on narrative and are very action focused. It may be a huge coincidence but they also seem to have that Ubisoft quality of blending all the design ideas from their IPs together. Horizon, Days Gone and Ghosts were all open world games that didn't bring much new to the table (shout out to Day's Gone's horde mechanic). Even God of War, Uncharted and TLOU2 went from linear action games to pseudo open world hubs. And then they have Housemarque developing a full priced title and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, that team was great about churning out a $15-30 bad ass arcade experience.

Sony's not alone in shifting a majority of their resources to blockbuster titles, but it just seems crazy that we can't have mid-tier games with smaller development/marketing budgets and find a way for those to be profitable. It let's your creatives be creative and if a game fails, it isn't catastrophic.

There are still things to be excited for on Sony's platform. Ratchet and Clank is making a comeback and I wasn't sure that was going to happen after the PS3 generation. Bluepoint still puts out kick ass work of fan favorites. I just wish the occurrence of games like Ico, Downhill Domination, Puppeteer, Everybody's Golf, Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, etc. wasn't so rare.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's starting to become laughable how PS owners will literally accept anything Sony does at this point. This news paints PS in an awful light, yet we have the usual suspects defending it 🤔
Is it really all bad though? My only concern / negative point in this report is that Naughty Dog (arguably the most amazing studio) is spending its resources on a remake. But apart from that, what's negative?
  • Days Gone 2 was canned, and Sony asked them to create a new IP. Aren't people always saying that we should have new IPs? Also, so many people are suddenly in love with Days Gone. How many actually purchased the game at full $60, and how many of these people waited for a $20 sale?
  • Herman Hulst asked why was the TLOU remake under VASG costing more than other remakes? Shouldn't Sony be more financially responsible? Or should they just open their wallets to whatever project anyone wants to pursue in whichever way?
  • ND working on a multiplayer game. Don't people want Sony to also dabble into more multiplayer games? Aren't Sony games "one and done experiences"?
  • More focus on big AAA games. Isn't that what most people want and what has been working for Sony? Even in a State of Play/Future of Gaming event, people get pissed off when Sony shows smaller games. Remember the memes about Bugsnax and Goodbye Volcano High?
  • Days Gone turning out to be a support studio. That was a baseless concern by Bend Studio executives. They thought that Sony would turn them into a support studio (Sony didn't). They thought that they will just be working on Naughty Dog's IPs (they didn't. Sony asked them to create a new IP).
What else is negative, really? I just see people projecting and hearing what they want to hear. Also, right from the headline, Jason presented this entire story in a controversial, negative light.

This article could easily have a headline like: "Sony not compromising on quality; funding more AAA blockbuster experiences by experienced teams". But such a positive headline does not create the required buzz on social media.

Last edited:

Aurelius

What about Sony's strategy of doubling down on state of the art AAA games makes the PS5 unappealing to you?
I don’t really care about Sony’s big franchises. Only played Ghost of Tsushima last gen. But I did like their smaller (Japanese) titles like Gravity Rush And Everybody’s Golf.

Last edited:

SSfox

Imagine how PS4 generation would have been with the 2 fuck retards clowns:

No God Of War, franchise was considered dead and it's not allowed based the 2 clowns
No Horizon New IP with big budget not allowed based the 2 clowns
No Ghost Of Tsushima Same as Horizon
No Death Stranding
No Bloodborne
No Dayz Gone
Uncharted 4? Maybe or maybe not, cause U3 sold less than U2, and since the 2 clowns only cares about sales..
Spiderman? Maybe but would been less huge cause it was new IP
No FF7 Remake (Sony helped to develop the game)
Nier Automata may not happened like FF7, or at least modern Sony would not have helped to dev this game.
PS4 have sold way less than it did now because they would have been porting the games on PC.

And i may even forgot some here, bruh

Also btw fuck the movies and fuck the tv shows.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is it really all bad though? My only concern / negative point in this report is that Naughty Dog (arguably the most amazing studio) is spending it resources on a remake. But apart from that, what's negative?
  • Days Gone 2 was canned, and Sony asked them to create a new IP. Aren't people always saying that we should have new IPs?
  • Herman Hulst asked why was the TLOU remake under VASG costing more than other remakes? Shouldn't Sony be more financially responsible? Or should they just open their wallets to whatever project anyone wants to pursue in whichever way?
  • ND working on a multiplayer game. Don't people want Sony to also dabble into more multiplayer games? Aren't Sony games "one and done experiences"?
  • More focus on big AAA games. Isn't that what most people want and what has been working for Sony? Even in a State of Play/Future of Gaming event, people get pissed off when Sony shows smaller games. Remember the memes about Bugsnax and Goodbye Volcano High?
  • Days Gone turning out to be a support studio. That was a baseless concern by Bend Studio executives. They thought that Sony would turn them into a support studio (Sony didn't). They thought that they will just be working on Naughty Dog's IPs (they didn't. Sony asked them to create a new IP).
What else is negative, really? I just see people projecting and hearing what they want to hear. Also, right from the headline, Jason presented this entire story in a controversial, negative light.

This article could easily have a headline like: "Sony not compromising on quality; funding more AAA blockbuster experiences by experienced teams". But such a positive headline does not create the required buzz on social media.
Nothing wrong with a DG2. It would be only the second game in the series. If that game got green lit, it would probably come out in maybe 2024. When people hate sequel-itis, they are more concerned about annual or bi-annual sequels and remakes and remasters. If the LoU Remake is true, you get from summer 2013: LoU 1, LoU 1 Remaster, LoU Left Behind, LoU 2, and in probably in a year LoU Remake, which would be the third LoU 1 game in less than 10 years.

That is a lot.

And I wouldnt be surprised if a LoU 2 remaster is in the cards.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

I used to laugh at the Mattrick comparisons. Nobody could be that bad? Right?
Now I just have grave concerns.

Edit: I just had an awful realization. Honestly, in my entire adult life (and i'm old), gaming has never been in such a bad place. :(
Edit2: So glad I ordered a Super Console X Pro yesterday.

Last edited:

SSfox

Seems a lot of people here forgot that Uncharted 1 (i love this game btw) was quite basic in his gameplay and had Ok not super crazy sales, Killzone 1 also was just Ok sales and was mediocre quality wise, yet Sony gave them the chance to make KZ2 and we know how it ended, one of the best FPS ever made.

Dayz Gone 1 did better than both Uncharted 1 and KZ1 and yet Sony turned them into support studio for a nobody givee the fuck remake (that they will likely release on PC just they will do with all their futur games at some point), to highlight a fucking a tv show...

You have to be really blind to not see the problem with actual Playstation brand lead by the 2 retard clowns.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
I don’t really care about Sony’s big franchises. Only played Ghost of Tsushima last gen. But I did like their smaller (Japanese) titles like Gravity Rush And Everybody’s Golf.
So literally play 3 games of all these 8 years of playstation, and for some reason you mad?
Lmfao

Hunnybun

Is it really all bad though? My only concern / negative point in this report is that Naughty Dog (arguably the most amazing studio) is spending its resources on a remake. But apart from that, what's negative?
  • Days Gone 2 was canned, and Sony asked them to create a new IP. Aren't people always saying that we should have new IPs? Also, so many people are suddenly in love with Days Gone. How many actually purchased the game at full $60, and how many of these people waited for a $20 sale?

For me, and I suspect for many people, it's just an accumulation of evidence of a generally unsettling direction, and one that goes back much earlier than Jim Ryan taking over.

- Sony Japan going
- Evolution and Guerrilla Cambridge going
- Quantic Dream being let go
- Gen Design being let go

What drew me to Playstation for the PS4 was their really outstanding first party set up. It seemed to have everything: big, polished, blockbusters, arty stuff like Ico etc, experimental games like Puppeteer, Gravity Rush, and so on. It had real excellence but they also seemed to understand that when you're selling art you can't afford to JUST focus on the money, because a lot of consumers have a deeper connection to your products. It's a cost of doing business in that particular market. That doesn't mean that I expect their execs to CARE about that stuff, but they should definitely understand that their customers care. You're not just selling cornflakes here.

I really do think, if you look at all the evidence in the round, that something is being lost. I think at this point Xbox looks much more like that holisitc first party environment right now than Playstation, which is kinda incredible when you consider how things looked 5 years ago.

I'll see how things go over the next year, but as things stand I'll definitely be getting a Series X and GP at some point, and it might be that I just use the PS5 for the couple of annual blockbusters their first parties deign to release. Microsoft can have the rest of my money as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Aurelius

So literally play 3 games of all these 8 years of playstation, and for some reason you mad?
Lmfao
Who says I’m mad?

I’m just stating that for someone who doesn’t really care about Sony’s big main franchises, there is not much reason to stick with the brand if that is going to be where their priorities will be in the future.

SLB1904

Banned
Who says I’m mad?

I’m just stating that for someone who doesn’t really care about Sony’s big main franchises, there is not much reason to stick with the brand if that is going to be where their priorities will be in the future.
And I'm saying if that the only games you care about I'm surprised you stood around.
Basically you are not playstation demographic

SSfox

Sony aka let's close Japan Studio and make Bend a support studio for making a nobody gives a fuck remake, also let's ignore Kojima while we support and invest in new project by Jade Raymond, someone that didn't make anything worthy since AC1 (and it wasn't even her, but was Patrick Desilet creation)

Banjo64

cumsessed
As someone with no interest in VR and who’s spent with Uncharted and The Last of Us as the stories are now fully concluded IMO (seriously, get the platinum in all of those games like I have and tell me you’re not now finally exhausted from collectibles/conversations/note pad entries) where does this leave me?

I posted the other day that my missus has said I can buy the digital PS5, but if Horizon is coming to PS4 I’d literally be buying a PS5 for Ratchet and God of War. Maybe GoT 2 (years away) and GT7? What else will be on the horizon over the next 2/3 years? It’s a ginormous investment for 3 games.

Sackboy is a game I’ll play, but again, I can play it on PS4.

From’s and Miyazaki’s next game is multi platform so there’s no DeS/Bloodborne hiding in the wings. There’s no evidently quality niche titles like Puppeteer, The Last Guardian or Journey on the horizon.

The games will be there as they always are but I’m thinking Sony’s going to have another strong second half showing this gen.

Right on cue 😅

Perrott

Gold Member

No God Of War, franchise was considered dead and it's not allowed based the 2 clowns
No Death Stranding
No Bloodborne
No Dayz Gone
Uncharted 4? Maybe or maybe not, cause U3 sold less than U2, and since the 2 clowns only cares about sales..
Nier Automata may not happened like FF7, or at least modern Sony would not have helped to dev this game.
PS4 have sold way less than it did now because they would have been porting the games on PC.

You say that these "two clowns" wouldn't have greenlighted new IPs like Horizon, Tsushima, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Bloodborne, Spider-Man, etc, when during the last year Hermen Hulst has greenlighted new IPs from London Studio and Haven Entertainment. Not to mention how it was Hermen fucking Hulst the one who pushed for Horizon during his time as management director of Guerrilla Games.

You also talk out of your ass claiming that Sony had any sort of involvement with FF7R or NieR Automata besides having marketing rights for both titles, but to be fair that's exactly what you've done in the entirety of your message: talk out of your goddamn ass.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You say that these "two clowns" wouldn't have greenlighted new IPs like Horizon, Tsushima, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Bloodborne, Spider-Man, etc, when during the last year Hermen Hulst has greenlighted new IPs from London Studio and Haven Entertainment. Not to mention how it was Hermen fucking Hulst the one who pushed for Horizon during his time as management director of Guerrilla Games.

You also talk out of your ass claiming that Sony had any sort of involvement with FF7R or NieR Automata besides having marketing rights for both titles, but to be fair that's exactly what you've done in the entirety of your message: talk out of your goddamn ass.

I do get the feeling that Sony are throwing money at SE for more than just marketing rights. I mean, FF7r has turned out to be the tip of the iceberg with them also having console exclusivity on the next mainline FF and Luminous studios new IP.

I doubt Square are doing this out of affection for Playstation, they getting paid for the favours.

Seems a lot of people here forgot that Uncharted 1 (i love this game btw) was quite basic in his gameplay and had Ok not super crazy sales, Killzone 1 also was just Ok sales and was mediocre quality wise, yet Sony gave them the chance to make KZ2 and we know how it ended, one of the best FPS ever made.

Dayz Gone 1 did better than both Uncharted 1 and KZ1 and yet Sony turned them into support studio for a nobody givee the fuck remake (that they will likely release on PC just they will do with all their futur games at some point), to highlight a fucking a tv show...

You have to be really blind to not see the problem with actual Playstation brand lead by the 2 retard clowns.

I wanted a Days Gone sequel and I'm bummed that we aren't getting one (at least for now) but Hulst being put in that position was applauded by gaming journalists when it happened. Ryan may have said some dumb things in the past but many of them were also only partially quoted and taken out of context. When he talked about not wanting to play old games he was talking about how bad PS1/PS2 games look compared to modern stuff and I agree with him there 100%, when it came to the generations thing he said they believed in generations but that they also needed to support the PS4 for a while and that last part is always left out of the quote. They had a launch game that was PS5 exclusive in Demon's Souls remake and Ratchet and Clank will be another PS5 exclusive. PS5 was the biggest console launch in history even with covid and supply shortages, people can cry and call names here all they want but these guys aren't going anywhere for a long time and honestly there is no reason for anyone to be calling for them to be fired at this time. Phil Spencer has been talking out of his ass for 7 years and people online try to make him a hero, sad how some people are allowed to get away with BS and others are called out for just being honest.

SSfox

Hermen is GG director at the time, it was his game so obviously he would work and push on it lmao, Shawn and Andrew are the ones that greenlight Horizon and let them do their new IP. If Sony had their modern mindset back then they wouldn't allow new IP like Horizon, instead they would put Guerrila under support for other bigger studio for some kind of shitty remake or whatever nonsens, similar to what they're doing now. They also wouldn't allow God Of War Reboot, because GOW was considered dead franchise and Ascension didn't solid 7 millions copies like Jim Ryan love them sales, he wouldn't greenlight it with his friend Hermen, Thanks god we had Shawn and Yosp at the time, 2 true passionate people, and now GOW is one of the best game of all time, and GOW2 is one of the reasons PS5 is a mus.t

Sony helped in making Nier Automata and FF7, even if it's not with hand craft it's with money, it's fact Sony significally helped those games to happen.

Cool for you if you enjoy the 2 clowns philosophy, i'm not, and a bunch of other playstation fans don't as well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I wanted a Days Gone sequel and I'm bummed that we aren't getting one (at least for now) but Hulst being put in that position was applauded by gaming journalists when it happened. Ryan may have said some dumb things in the past but many of them were also only partially quoted and taken out of context. When he talked about not wanting to play old games he was talking about how bad PS1/PS2 games look compared to modern stuff and I agree with him there 100%, when it came to the generations thing he said they believed in generations but that they also needed to support the PS4 for a while and that last part is always left out of the quote. They had a launch game that was PS5 exclusive in Demon's Souls remake and Ratchet and Clank will be another PS5 exclusive. PS5 was the biggest console launch in history even with covid and supply shortages, people can cry and call names here all they want but these guys aren't going anywhere for a long time and honestly there is no reason for anyone to be calling for them to be fired at this time. Phil Spencer has been talking out of his ass for 7 years and people online try to make him a hero, sad how some people are allowed to get away with BS and others are called out for just being honest.

Much as I love Days Gone, the reality is that it came out way later than planned and took a further year of constant improvement to get into shape. If the game was in the same state at launch as it is now, there'd be an argument that they were treated unfairly, however history shows that this wasn't the case.

What's more, that set of circumstances is a real outlier for Sony's first-party output during the PS4 era. Pretty much all their other big releases have launched in a very polished state, especially if they were delayed.

SSfox

I am one of the those who praise Demon Souls Remake the most in this forum. And it's nice to see a new R&C, but the future of SWW doesn't look good, seriously TLOU1 remake? that's what ND is gonna work on? and on top of that Bend is alienated on this shit too? that's like EA move level right there.

I don't care about the sales, i don't play on playstation because it sells, but because it always been the best platform, i don't play some playstation games and other 3rd party games because they sell, but because i like those games.

Last edited:

On point

It easy to pull out summary from an article if someone read it

It's starting to become laughable how PS owners will literally accept anything Sony does at this point. This news paints PS in an awful light, yet we have the usual suspects defending it 🤔

What's the problem with Bends new IP and MP component for TLOU 2 and focus on more AAA games?? How in the world you can twist the praising these moves in defending ones. LOL

Right on cue 😅

Unlike Heisenberg's post with obvious summary from article, your posts is pretty a crappy one.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Hermen is GG director at the time, it was his game so obviously he would work and push on it lmao, Shawn and Andrew are the ones that greenlight Horizon and let them do their new IP.
Wrong, Shawn Layden wasn't even the head of SCEA (his previous role before becoming president of WWS) at the time Horizon was given the greenlight. Andrew House also wasn't directly involved with the decision, it was mostly a WWS thing (Shuhei Yoshida, Michael Denny).
If Sony had their modern mindset back then they wouldn't allow new IP like Horizon, instead they would put Guerrila under support for other bigger studio for some kind of shitty remake or whatever nonsens, similar to what they're doing now. They also wouldn't allow God Of War Reboot, because GOW was considered dead franchise and Ascension didn't solid 7 millions copies like Jim Ryan love them sales, he wouldn't greenlight it with his friend Hermen.
Again, your own speculation, not facts. It is also fun to see how you really think that Jim and Hermen would've let all of their first-party studios just die off during the PS3/PS4 era, as if that's something any executive would ever strive for.
Thanks god we had Shawn and Yosp at the time, 2 true passionate people, and now GOW is one of the best game of all time, and GOW2 is one of the reasons PS5 is a must.
Yay! Shawn Layden who, as I said earlier, was not even in the radar at the time and Shuhei, who also made the stupid call to cancel Eight Days and Getaway back in the day and to downgrade London Studios as an organization just to have them focus on EyeToy, great call. Not to mention that it was under Shuhei's watch that iconic studios such as Zipper, Liverpool (Psygnosis) and Evolution were mismanaged to the point that they all had to be closed, while he also allowed Japan Studio to become an irrelevant hot mess of a studio with a worrying lack of direction.

No Death Stranding
No Bloodborne
No Dayz Gone

So the only PS4 exclusive would be The Last of Us 2 lmao?

supernova8

Banned

Giles

I’m really gutted about Days Gone 2 being canned. I loved the world Bend created and Sam Witwer was very compelling as Deacon Saint-John. It feels as if the general consensus about this decision is the same which makes it even more baffling.

As for the Last of Us, I loved the story but I wouldn’t double dip for a new coat of paint when the remaster holds up well and I don’t even have the urge to revisit that anyway.

As a ps5 owner I’m concerned about the direction Sony is heading. 😐

Dunno if I fully buy into the concern but I remember the PS2 glory days and it feels like Sony has changed a lot compared to back then.

zedinen

I get it.

Life was better when Sony games flopped commercially, one after another, six studios were closed, headquarters were sold and debt was downgraded to junk status.

Sadly, 2021 Sony knows its strengths and weaknesses, avoids unwinnable wars (Cell, BR) and spreading too thin (PSP). They neither poke fun at competitors (X360= Xbox 1.5) nor take success for granted (PS3 is too cheap). And they are making record profits.

The silent majority are voting with their wallets the wrong way and actions should be taken to deprogram the lost souls.

Woke mobs, fully determined to cancel bad man Jim and later PlayStation, are needed.

On point

It easy to pull out summary from an article if someone read it

What's the problem with Bends new IP and MP component for TLOU 2 and focus on more AAA games?? How in the world you can twist the praising these moves in defending ones. LOL

Unlike Heisenberg's post with obvious summary from article, your posts is pretty a crappy one.
Thanks, I'm laughing not at the quality of his post but the fact he proved my point. If you read the article Bends had to push to be taken off the Uncharted which is disgusting to be honest. Also they made a decent start to a potential big franchise in Days Gone but the sequel was shot down. Now they have to start from scratch again and maybe Sony will shut this new game down if it doesn't hit the big seller list. That has to be demoralising to the team, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

SSfox

So the only PS4 exclusive would be The Last of Us 2 lmao?
They would have tried 2 or 3 exclusives maybe just for the sake of to not look too bad in paper.

Guerrila would been support for ND to remake Uncharted 2. So no time for Horizon.
Sony Santa Monica would have close (it almost happened but it was save by Shawn Yosp Andrew and the other), or simply been a support studio for another shitty remake in the best cases. So no time for GOW
Hermen would have never made deals for Bloodborne and Death Stranding.
Of course all PS exlcusives would have ended in PC long times ago in that case as well.
So overall PS4 wouldn't have sold this well, not even close.
And so on.

The other problem with the modern Sony philosophy is that games have to sell crazy well or it won't be enough. Imagine if Ragnarok will sell 4 millions unstead of 10 millions, of course 4 millions is very good number but it won't be for modern Sony, and then we can all start to fear about Sony Santa Monica future, Jimbo and Hermen may just decide to put them as support for Ghost Of Tsushima Remake or TLOU2 remake or some other weird nonsens remake, if not simply close the studio in the worst cases.

Jim and Hermen need to go out of playstation ASAP.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
For me, and I suspect for many people, it's just an accumulation of evidence of a generally unsettling direction, and one that goes back much earlier than Jim Ryan taking over.

- Sony Japan going
- Evolution and Guerrilla Cambridge going
- Quantic Dream being let go
- Gen Design being let go

What drew me to Playstation for the PS4 was their really outstanding first party set up. It seemed to have everything: big, polished, blockbusters, arty stuff like Ico etc, experimental games like Puppeteer, Gravity Rush, and so on. It had real excellence but they also seemed to understand that when you're selling art you can't afford to JUST focus on the money, because a lot of consumers have a deeper connection to your products. It's a cost of doing business in that particular market. That doesn't mean that I expect their execs to CARE about that stuff, but they should definitely understand that their customers care. You're not just selling cornflakes here.

I really do think, if you look at all the evidence in the round, that something is being lost. I think at this point Xbox looks much more like that holisitc first party environment right now than Playstation, which is kinda incredible when you consider how things looked 5 years ago.

I'll see how things go over the next year, but as things stand I'll definitely be getting a Series X and GP at some point, and it might be that I just use the PS5 for the couple of annual blockbusters their first parties deign to release. Microsoft can have the rest of my money as far as I'm concerned.
First, thanks for actually responding with a reply, instead of just posting "witty" one-liners like others who don't have any actual points.

To your point, I think there is a general shift in the industry (with games being riskier and more expensive than ever), which may lead to this feeling that Sony is being extra safe. Btw, I also agree that Sony is being extra conservative here, and as a market leader should be more innovative and aggressive. But to be fair, it has just been six months, and we don't really know what they are planning.

Regarding smaller, quirky games, I genuinely believe that Sony are still supporting those developers and games. For example, without their support a game like Kena or Little Devil Inside wouldn't be releasing. They also supported very weird games like Stray and Bugsnax. From first-party studios, they not only released Concrete Genie and Dreams, but they are also supporting those studios grow.

All that stuff is still happening, in my opinion.

And Xbox and Gamepass also offer excellent value. I will totally buy that combo (I honestly resist the temptation every day lol) as soon as they drop some must-play titles. I'm most excited about Hellblade 2.

manzo

Well, at this moment the only games I’m looking forward to this year is Saga Frontier remaster and Legend of Mana remaster. I have never enjoyed Sony’s western exclusive output anyway (not counting God of Wars) only their Japanese studios have made games that I enjoyed. Last of Us was a 6/10 for me, Uncharted 2 was a 7/10. Uncharted 3 and 4 I stopped playing after the intros, so whatever Naughty Dog pumps out is like a fart in the wind for me.

what worries me though is the Japanese output. PC, PS5 and Xbox SeX is pretty much the only way to really enjoy high fidelity gaming and now all Japanese output is locked to Switch. Switch ruling there means all games are just up-ports of games made for a portable. God damn how much I hate Switch and at the same time I’m so happy that it exists, otherwise the games would go mobile. Still I find myself playing my Switch more and more these days

Why does Sony so much chase for the blockbusters, when B-level and A-level projects utilizing the tech that modern PC and consoles allows would be so fucking good.

How I see it is that PS went full Xbox of the 2008’s and Xbox is going back to A-productions with Gamepass. I fucking hope the A-products on Xbox turns profitable and enables more of them.

Fuck AAA gaming. It’s as boring as superhero movies.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Thanks, I'm laughing not at the quality of his post but the fact he proved my point. If you read the article Bends had to push to be taken off the TLOU remaster which is disgusting to be honest. Also they made a decent start to a potential big franchise in Days Gone but the sequel was shot down. Now they have to start from scratch again and maybe Sony will shut this new game down if it doesn't hit the big seller list. That has to be demoralising to the team, wouldn't you agree?
Did you even read the article? I don't think you have, and you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Bend was never working on the TLOU remaster. It was the VASG group. Bend was supporting the Uncharted and ND multiplayer games. Uncharted makes sense, because Bend has already worked on Uncharted games before. It was their shot at a AAA uncharted game, under Naughty Dog's supervision, which, again, makes total sense. Why wouldn't you seek support from the original developers.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nothing wrong with a DG2. It would be only the second game in the series. If that game got green lit, it would probably come out in maybe 2024. When people hate sequel-itis, they are more concerned about annual or bi-annual sequels and remakes and remasters. If the LoU Remake is true, you get from summer 2013: LoU 1, LoU 1 Remaster, LoU Left Behind, LoU 2, and in probably in a year LoU Remake, which would be the third LoU 1 game in less than 10 years.

That is a lot.

And I wouldnt be surprised if a LoU 2 remaster is in the cards.
I was also excited for a Days Gone sequel because unlike many others, I actually liked the game and ended up platinuming it. But I understand that the game wasn't received as well, and these types of tough decisions happen all the time, ala Scalebound and Silent Hill.

As long as we get another high-quality new IP, it's fine.

Did you even read the article? I don't think you have, and you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Bend was never working on the TLOU remaster. It was the VASG group. Bend was supporting the Uncharted and ND multiplayer games. Uncharted makes sense, because Bend has already worked on Uncharted games before. It was their shot at a AAA uncharted game, under Naughty Dog's supervision, which, again, makes total sense. Why wouldn't you seek support from the original developers.
I changed it to Uncharted, point still stands. Bends was not happy with that situation and forced to get taken off it. You are apparently blinkered in your defence of Sony and PS. Bends are a upcoming team who are trying to establish themselves with a big franchise, Sony are not letting this team do what they want and that's disgusting.

Have your preference all you like but I'd imagine there's not a lot of confidence at Bends right now.

25+ years of Sony delivering is all I need to know that I'm in safe hands. All this concern lately is mind boggling.
It's not a concern. It is an individual who is a attention whore journalist trying to make a big deal out of nothing. He's trying to make Sony look bad compared to gamepass. I bet he is a soy master that thinks Sony is an evil capitalist company

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I changed it to Uncharted, point still stands. Bends was not happy with that situation and forced to get taken off it. You are apparently blinkered in your defence of Sony and PS. Bends are a upcoming team who are trying to establish themselves with a big franchise, Sony are not letting this team do what they want and that's disgusting.

Have your preference all you like but I'd imagine there's not a lot of confidence at Bends right now.
They are literally working on a new IP with Sony's support. They pitched an idea that didn't work and was scrapped in favor of another idea.

Before Ghost of Tsushima, Sucker Punch also pitched a different idea (a pirate-type melee game) that was scrapped. That led to Ghost of Tsushima, which means Ghost of Tsushima wasn't the thing that SP wanted to do in the first place either. Ideas and pitches get scrapped all the time.

Top Bottom