• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Sony’s Obsession With Blockbusters Is Stirring Unrest Within PlayStation Empire

I was also excited for a Days Gone sequel because unlike many others, I actually liked the game and ended up platinuming it. But I understand that the game wasn't received as well, and these types of tough decisions happen all the time, ala Scalebound and Silent Hill.

As long as we get another high-quality new IP, it's fine.
You're comparing unreleased unfinished games to a game that's released and sold very well? Are you all there?

Well for what it's worth those are 3 takes on the same genre, with quite a few structural similarities.

Which I love personally, because I'm a sucker for open world action games.. but it's not like people have nothing to complain about. Their other games have moved in a similar direction, towards being open world action/adventure games.
As if creating a new genre or gameplay style was an easy task right? The only real innovation is vr and Sony has been one of the leaders in that front. How dare these whiners to complain of lack of innovation? Ok you won Microsoft, the Kinect changed the world forever... LOL

• More focus on big AAA games. Isn't that what most people want and what has been working for Sony? Even in a State of Play/Future of Gaming event, people get pissed off when Sony shows smaller games.

Exactly.

What else is negative, really? I just see people projecting and hearing what they want to hear. Also, right from the headline, Jason presented this entire story in a controversial, negative light.

People are still hurt about their loss in 2013 and are now projecting the same feeling thinking there's even a remote parallelism.

Is it really all bad though? My only concern / negative point in this report is that Naughty Dog (arguably the most amazing studio) is spending its resources on a remake. But apart from that, what's negative?
  • Days Gone 2 was canned, and Sony asked them to create a new IP. Aren't people always saying that we should have new IPs? Also, so many people are suddenly in love with Days Gone. How many actually purchased the game at full $60, and how many of these people waited for a $20 sale?
  • Herman Hulst asked why was the TLOU remake under VASG costing more than other remakes? Shouldn't Sony be more financially responsible? Or should they just open their wallets to whatever project anyone wants to pursue in whichever way?
  • ND working on a multiplayer game. Don't people want Sony to also dabble into more multiplayer games? Aren't Sony games "one and done experiences"?
  • More focus on big AAA games. Isn't that what most people want and what has been working for Sony? Even in a State of Play/Future of Gaming event, people get pissed off when Sony shows smaller games. Remember the memes about Bugsnax and Goodbye Volcano High?
  • Days Gone turning out to be a support studio. That was a baseless concern by Bend Studio executives. They thought that Sony would turn them into a support studio (Sony didn't). They thought that they will just be working on Naughty Dog's IPs (they didn't. Sony asked them to create a new IP).
What else is negative, really? I just see people projecting and hearing what they want to hear. Also, right from the headline, Jason presented this entire story in a controversial, negative light.

This article could easily have a headline like: "Sony not compromising on quality; funding more AAA blockbuster experiences by experienced teams". But such a positive headline does not create the required buzz on social media.
The negativity comes from a soy /radical left agenda that sees gamepass as the equality of the gaming world. Period and you are welcome

Last edited:
They are literally working on a new IP with Sony's support. They pitched an idea that didn't work and was scrapped in favor of another idea.

Before Ghost of Tsushima, Sucker Punch also pitched a different idea (a pirate-type melee game) that was scrapped. That led to Ghost of Tsushima, which means Ghost of Tsushima wasn't the thing that SP wanted to do in the first place either. Ideas and pitches get scrapped all the time.
Why are you being deliberately obtuse? The point is they wanted to expand on Days Gone with a sequel but Sony didn't think it was a big enough success for some reason 🤔

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why are you being deliberately obtuse? The point is they wanted to expand on Days Gone with a sequel but Sony didn't think it was a big enough success for some reason 🤔
And? How is that a bad thing? It wasn't a big success -- neither critically nor commercially. It also took Bend Studios YEARS to develop and release the game + another year to actually fix the bugs and performance issues.

I'd be very happy if we get Days Gone 2 because I liked the game, and it was an 8/10 for me, but even I bought it at a $20 sale. I understand why Sony plugged the pull on that IP.

Thanks, I'm laughing not at the quality of his post but the fact he proved my point. If you read the article Bends had to push to be taken off the Uncharted which is disgusting to be honest. Also they made a decent start to a potential big franchise in Days Gone but the sequel was shot down. Now they have to start from scratch again and maybe Sony will shut this new game down if it doesn't hit the big seller list. That has to be demoralising to the team, wouldn't you agree?

In fact he didn't proved your point. LOL, pushed off making the Uncharted and instead making the NEW IP is disgusting? Are you serious?? I'm fan of Uncharted series, but enough is enough. Maybe Days Gone sequel will come after a NEW IP. How the fuck in the world making a NEW IP is a demoralizing? WTF are you talking about

I changed it to Uncharted, point still stands. Bends was not happy with that situation and forced to get taken off it. You are apparently blinkered in your defence of Sony and PS. Bends are a upcoming team who are trying to establish themselves with a big franchise, Sony are not letting this team do what they want and that's disgusting.

Have your preference all you like but I'd imagine there's not a lot of confidence at Bends right now.

I think you need to read the article AGAIN. Sony exactly let a Bend Studio to make a NEW IP and they wanted this. What the hell are you smoking, dammit.

And? How is that a bad thing? It wasn't a big success -- neither critically nor commercially. It also took Bend Studios YEARS to develop and release the game + another year to actually fix the bugs and performance issues.

I'd be very happy if we get Days Gone 2 because I liked the game, and it was an 8/10 for me, but even I bought it at a $20 sale. I understand why Sony plugged the pull on that IP.

Commercially it was a big success, over 5 million sold before PS5 launch and PC release. But critically wasn't that big success, though. Also, maybe Days Gone 2 will come after Bends new IP.

xrnzaaas

Are people forgetting that HBO is making a TLOU series? Obviously Jimbo wants a new TLOU remake on shelves when it premieres to cash in on the hype.
Question is how many people haven't played TLoU yet and how many would be willing to buy the remake after finishing the original. Personally I like remakes when they serve a purpose, like when the original game is old and has outdated graphics and mechanics. TLoU1 Remastered still looks and plays great and I will have no interest in buying and playing a remake. It's a waste of resources imo. A bundle with some (further) graphics/AI enhancements for TLoU1 Remastered would be more than enough.

Last edited:
In fact he didn't proved your point. LOL, pushed off making the Uncharted and instead making the NEW IP is disgusting? Are you serious?? I'm fan of Uncharted series, but enough is enough. Maybe Days Gone sequel will come after a NEW IP. How the fuck in the world making a NEW IP is a demoralizing? WTF are you talking about

I think you need to read the article AGAIN. Sony exactly let a Bend Studio to make a NEW IP and they wanted this. What the hell are you smoking, dammit.

Commercially it was a big success, over 5 million sold before PS5 launch and PC release. But critically wasn't that big success, though. Also, maybe Days Gone 2 will come after Bends new IP.
You need to calm down mate, it is you who need to read what is a negative news article about PS and how it treats its smaller developers. There is no positive spin on this apart from you and the usual suspects. They did in fact want to make a sequel to Days Gone first and foremost, go back read the article again and go for a long nap, you apparently need it lol.

You need to calm down mate, it is you who need to read what is a negative news article about PS and how it treats its smaller developers. There is no positive spin on this apart from you and the usual suspects. They did in fact want to make a sequel to Days Gone first and foremost, go back read the article again and go for a long nap, you apparently need it lol.

So what if they want to make a Days Gone 2, but instead they are making a new IP. What's the wrong with making a new IP as you said that making a new IP is disgusting. I think you need to go in cold chamber and stay there for few decades. When you melt, read the article again.

These are the facts from the article ( will just copy it from my post yesterday ). It was Jason Schreier who made an article to looks like it is very negative.

Schreier's article in a nutshell:

• Sony's Visual Arts Service Group (SVASG)
    • SVAGS always had a supporting role.
    • SVAGS wanted to create something from scratch themselves.
    • They formed a new internal 'team' and they started working on a TLOU remake. It's not 'clear' if they were commisioned to do that, or if it was their own idea; or whatever reasoning there was for a TLOU remake to be their first project.
      • The article does not explain this decission, it only mentions that the new team 'was to expand on the companies most succesful franchises'.
      • (altough one can argue that it makes sense given the HBO TV Series).
    • SVAGS didn't get the necessary budget & support because of reasons not mentioned in the article (this seems to be a key question in the story), so we don't really know what was going on unless Schreier can tell us more.
    • Hermen Hulst wasnt impressed with the progress and found it to be over-budget for a remake. Project moved back to Naughty Dog (which makes sense)
    • SVAGS ended up being support. People left the 'new team'. Which makes sense since they are back to where they started.
  • Bend Studio:
    • The Days Gone-IP seems to have been put on hold for now because because reception wasnt as expected and it had too lengthy development.
    • Bend was asked to help out on ND's multiplayer game, and work on 'an Uncharted' game.
    • Bend disagreed ("we dont want to become a Naughty Dog 'North') and gave back the Uncharted-project so they could also work on a new game of their own, next to supporting the ND multiplayer game. The state of the new game is unknown, it's still very early.
  • Japan Studio:
    • basically got dissolved because Sony doesn't have the faith that they could produce games that were big successes world wide.

Elios83

Is it really all bad though? My only concern / negative point in this report is that Naughty Dog (arguably the most amazing studio) is spending its resources on a remake. But apart from that, what's negative?
  • Days Gone 2 was canned, and Sony asked them to create a new IP. Aren't people always saying that we should have new IPs? Also, so many people are suddenly in love with Days Gone. How many actually purchased the game at full $60, and how many of these people waited for a $20 sale?
  • Herman Hulst asked why was the TLOU remake under VASG costing more than other remakes? Shouldn't Sony be more financially responsible? Or should they just open their wallets to whatever project anyone wants to pursue in whichever way?
  • ND working on a multiplayer game. Don't people want Sony to also dabble into more multiplayer games? Aren't Sony games "one and done experiences"?
  • More focus on big AAA games. Isn't that what most people want and what has been working for Sony? Even in a State of Play/Future of Gaming event, people get pissed off when Sony shows smaller games. Remember the memes about Bugsnax and Goodbye Volcano High?
  • Days Gone turning out to be a support studio. That was a baseless concern by Bend Studio executives. They thought that Sony would turn them into a support studio (Sony didn't). They thought that they will just be working on Naughty Dog's IPs (they didn't. Sony asked them to create a new IP).

This article could easily have a headline like: "Sony not compromising on quality; funding more AAA blockbuster experiences by experienced teams". But such a positive headline does not create the required buzz on social media.

It's just drama to pretend there's some big scoop behind besides leaking some projects.
The same things, as you explained, could have been totally framed in a positive way depending on the point of view of the author ("Naughty Dog is now handling multiple projects! Sony is doubling down of the high quality AAA they've been known for!! Bend is developing a new IP!").

It has been evident that trying to create certain narratives has a lot of return in terms of hits and drama and some companies are also trying to profit from it.
Last year it was no different and it was in part Sony's fault.
When you refuse to properly communicate and address issues/questions as soon as they emerge you leave the door open to people wanting to creative bad narratives around you.
Last year it was how the console would be underpowered, how backwards compatibility would be limited to the top 100 games, that there was no hardware ray tracing support and so on, that upgrades to old PS4 games would need to be paid on PS5 while on other platforms would be free.
This bullshit sticked for months before it was shut down by reality.
Now that betting on the power narrative has been a failure and the launch phase is over (with the conclusions about who was successful and who was not), a new cycle is beginning and the attention has been shifted to other things like the management of the studios, which games they should develop, FUD about if they're going to be able to compete with Gamepass and so on.

It seems like this new dry PR style where they announce stuff only when they want to without hints about the future and without letting people know the whole picture and where they're headed is causing frustration among certain people and is leaving the door open to create bad narratives. It's basically a PR issue, they need some social figures.
Obviously they have the rights to handle announcements as they want and they probably think that given their dominant position they can afford to simply not give a fuck about certain things because it also gives them an advantage when they announce stuff that no one was expecting but it also has a few clear disadvantages as seen in these two years that they might try to address.

MOTM

Banned
What gets me about all this is the fact that PlayStation is coming off its second most popular console generation ever and probably its most profitable. They did all this by having a diverse selection of both smaller games like Gravity Rush and The Last Guardian along with blockbusters like TLOU and Spider-Man.

This formula worked. Why change?

Confused Liam Neeson GIF
They think it worked because of the blockbusters so they’re doubling down on it.

John Wick

WHAT?!? THEY KILLED DAYS GONE 2?!?! FUCKKKKKKKKKKKK

Why do they make a cliffhanger ending if they don't plan to continue the story? They did the same shit with The Order, motherfuckers.
I don't want a remaster of The Last of Us for PS5. Sony is well and truly fucked if it's going to stick to this big blockbusters strategy only. It was the variety of games that Sony that interested me most. This is bad news. Devs will leave Sony Studios if forced to make games they don't want to. No wonder they didn't renew their partnership with David Cage's team. Can't stand Jim Ryan and his leadership direction.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Some crowd seems been too dry on AAA GOTY contenders that they are now allergic to top quality games and consider them "bad". Yet they seem blind as well as Returnal is exactly a risky project and looks promising. Most of them calling it an indie game and shouting off the roof that some of their saliva drizzles landed in my mouth and it tastes deliciously salty.

MOTM

Banned
If this is true.....

I loved TLOU and actually liked the TLOU2. I wouldn't buy a remake of the first game though as its already had a remaster and it still looks great. I can't see many people buying it for the same reasons...and probably will flop. Then you'll get TLOU2 haters saying "see the sequal was that bad nobody wants a remake"
I think they want to make a remake to tie in with the series and the millions of people who will (in there plans) buy a PS5 afterwards to play the games. I guess it will be easier to pull that new crowd in with a brand new remake of TLOU1 + TLOU2 remaster/next gen update.

I think they saw how much The Witcher 3 sold thanks to the tv show and are aiming for something similar.

SSfox

Some crowd seems been too dry on AAA GOTY contenders that they are now allergic to top quality games and consider them "bad". Yet they seem blind as well as Returnal is exactly a risky project and looks promising. Most of them calling it an indie game and shouting off the roof that some of their saliva drizzles landed in my mouth and it tastes deliciously salty.
Returnal can potentially end up being a great game, the bad news is that i don't see how this game can sell well with Jimbo price increase, that's one of the con to be excepted from the price increase, well known IPs and games like Fifa, BF and COD won't get hurt by it, but new IPs are the ones that can be heavily affected by that, and Returnal is gonne be the first testament on that.

So what if they want to make a Days Gone 2, but instead they are making a new IP. What's the wrong with making a new IP as you said that making a new IP is disgusting. I think you need to go in cold chamber and stay there for few decades. When you melt, read the article again.

These are the facts from the article ( will just copy it from my post yesterday ). It was Jason Schreier who made an article to looks like it is very negative.

Schreier's article in a nutshell:

• Sony's Visual Arts Service Group (SVASG)
    • SVAGS always had a supporting role.
    • SVAGS wanted to create something from scratch themselves.
    • They formed a new internal 'team' and they started working on a TLOU remake. It's not 'clear' if they were commisioned to do that, or if it was their own idea; or whatever reasoning there was for a TLOU remake to be their first project.
      • The article does not explain this decission, it only mentions that the new team 'was to expand on the companies most succesful franchises'.
      • (altough one can argue that it makes sense given the HBO TV Series).
    • SVAGS didn't get the necessary budget & support because of reasons not mentioned in the article (this seems to be a key question in the story), so we don't really know what was going on unless Schreier can tell us more.
    • Hermen Hulst wasnt impressed with the progress and found it to be over-budget for a remake. Project moved back to Naughty Dog (which makes sense)
    • SVAGS ended up being support. People left the 'new team'. Which makes sense since they are back to where they started.
  • Bend Studio:
    • The Days Gone-IP seems to have been put on hold for now because because reception wasnt as expected and it had too lengthy development.
    • Bend was asked to help out on ND's multiplayer game, and work on 'an Uncharted' game.
    • Bend disagreed ("we dont want to become a Naughty Dog 'North') and gave back the Uncharted-project so they could also work on a new game of their own, next to supporting the ND multiplayer game. The state of the new game is unknown, it's still very early.
  • Japan Studio:
    • basically got dissolved because Sony doesn't have the faith that they could produce games that were big successes world wide.
"So what if they want to make a Days Gone 2"

Is that you Jim? It's just this type of fanboy mentality that's the problem with this industry. I would feel the same if Microsoft did this, but I have a sneaky suspicion that your opinion would have changed 🤔

Elios83

No wonder they didn't renew their partnership with David Cage's team.

They didn't renew that partnership (a decisions made by the previous management) because after the promising beginning with Heavy Rain the other two games were awful (especially Beyond) and did not have the success both critical and commercial they were hoping for. Also the studio was (and still is) being hit with lawsuits and accusations about being a toxic working environment. You don't want to be associated with that.
David Cage's games will still be multiplatform and still be on Playstation, Sony is simply directing the money elsewhere.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Returnal can potentially end up being a great game, the bad news is that i don't see how this game can sell well with Jimbo price increase, that's one of the con to be excepted from the price increase, well known IPs and games like Fifa, BF and COD won't get hurt by it, but new IPs are the ones that can be heavily affected by that, and Returnal is gonne be the first testament on that.

Preordering it before few days from release here, but that's very true. It'll take time for people to adjust or for Sony to revert, assuming it's not a collaborated agreement with other 3rd party publishers after the $60 has been there for decades, but many just sell you season pass up to $120.

I don't want a remaster of The Last of Us for PS5. Sony is well and truly fucked if it's going to stick to this big blockbusters strategy only. It was the variety of games that Sony that interested me most. This is bad news. Devs will leave Sony Studios if forced to make games they don't want to. No wonder they didn't renew their partnership with David Cage's team. Can't stand Jim Ryan and his leadership direction.
Stop this doomsday bs man. Every generation we always get plenty of sequels that people want and new ips. The generation barely started and we got smaller games like Astro, which is awesome and little big planet adventures. Do you also go cry to Nintendo and Microsoft for making a thousand sequels to Halo, Forza, Mario and Zelda? The generation of entitled whiners!

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned

Wha'ts newsworthy isn't that Sony is focusing on Blockbusters. Everyone already knew that. What's newsworthy is that the way they are going about it is causing turmoil among their studios.

WoJ

Really disheartening it sounds like Days Gone 2 is dead. I put 100 hours into it and platinumed it. It was also set up well for a sequel. Bend built a heck of a world and some great characters. It is a shame that they won't get a chance to expand on it. A sequel would likely have ironed out the problems of the first and knocked it out of the park.

Outrunner

Most people didn't bother to read the article and just follow up on the FUD and misinformation train. It's pathetic.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wha'ts newsworthy isn't that Sony is focusing on Blockbusters. Everyone already knew that. What's newsworthy is that the way they are going about it is causing turmoil among their studios.
But I think the presentation is a bit unfair.
  • Japan Studios got restructured for reasons most understand. They just weren't releasing games at all -- let alone games that were both critically and commercially successful.
  • Bend Studio executives apparently misread the situation completely. They had this idea that the studio will be merged with Naughty Dog and/or will be working on Naughty Dog IPs. Neither things happened. Bend Studios is still Bend Studios and is working on a new IP.
  • VASG was there as a support group. A few people wanted to develop games (totally understandable from a career development perspective). Sony gave them the green light. However, their timeline and financial projections turned out to be way off, so Sony took them off the project and assigned it to another team (ND). And asked them to continue working as a support group (the job they were hired for). The people in VASG wanted to be developers instead so they left the studio (which is fine), but I don't think Sony can be blamed for working within budget constraints.
On the contrary, if Sony didn't do any of these things (didn't care about the VASG financials, continued spending money on Japan Studios without focusing on their management and output), I'd say Sony is being complacent and not actively working on fixing the few problems they have. However, they are being proactive, which is a good thing.

"So what if they want to make a Days Gone 2"

Is that you Jim? It's just this type of fanboy mentality that's the problem with this industry. I would feel the same if Microsoft did this, but I have a sneaky suspicion that your opinion would have changed 🤔

Yes, it's me. But also Bend wanted to make a new IP and we gave them that opportunity.

You literally said in previous post that making a new IP is disgusting. EOD.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I believe Days Gone was profitable, just like Death Stranding was but was below Sony's expectations.

I'm basing this on the fact that Sony didn't share the sales numbers. And they have been sharing sales figures for all games that have been selling well, i.e., God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted, Horizon, TLOU, and even Ghost of Tsushima that came after Days Gone.

They never shared numbers for Days Gone and Death Stranding (implying that, although profitable projects, they weren't happy with those numbers). Perhaps that's the reason Sony didn't do DG2 or Kojima's new project (as per JG rumors).

Yes, it's me. But also Bend wanted to make a new IP and we gave them that opportunity.

You literally said in previous post that making a new IP is disgusting. EOD.
For the last time they had to push to get taken off Uncharted, they originally wanted to make a sequel, the new IP is basically Sony having to back down after Bends took a stand. Why you are glossing over the most important part is beyond me.

Elios83

The turmoil is just drama with no substance.
If someone within a company wants a job promotion and that is denied do you think that those people are happy about it?
Of course no, but these things happen constantly everyday in all companies.
If the management decides that the game you created was not successful enough to make a sequel and you get tasked to develop an other game based on an IP created by other people who are considered successful how can you be happy?
Your pride is hurt is obvious, but again these things happen all the time within companies.
To prevent these things from happening the management should just grant every wish, every promotion they get asked to approve regardless of actual merit or business sense.
No company works like that. This is why this is just drama.
Also in the end Bend got to work on a new IP which quite frankly given the amount of studios already making sequels is only a positive.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's just drama to pretend there's some big scoop behind besides leaking some projects.
The same things, as you explained, could have been totally framed in a positive way depending on the point of view of the author ("Naughty Dog is now handling multiple projects! Sony is doubling down of the high quality AAA they've been known for!! Bend is developing a new IP!").

It has been evident that trying to create certain narratives has a lot of return in terms of hits and drama and some companies are also trying to profit from it.
Last year it was no different and it was in part Sony's fault.
When you refuse to properly communicate and address issues/questions as soon as they emerge you leave the door open to people wanting to creative bad narratives around you.
Last year it was how the console would be underpowered, how backwards compatibility would be limited to the top 100 games, that there was no hardware ray tracing support and so on, that upgrades to old PS4 games would need to be paid on PS5 while on other platforms would be free.
This bullshit sticked for months before it was shut down by reality.
Now that betting on the power narrative has been a failure and the launch phase is over (with the conclusions about who was successful and who was not), a new cycle is beginning and the attention has been shifted to other things like the management of the studios, which games they should develop, FUD about if they're going to be able to compete with Gamepass and so on.

It seems like this new dry PR style where they announce stuff only when they want to without hints about the future and without letting people know the whole picture and where they're headed is causing frustration among certain people and is leaving the door open to create bad narratives. It's basically a PR issue, they need some social figures.
Obviously they have the rights to handle announcements as they want and they probably think that given their dominant position they can afford to simply not give a fuck about certain things because it also gives them an advantage when they announce stuff that no one was expecting but it also has a few clear disadvantages as seen in these two years that they might try to address.
Totally agree with the FUD thing. What's more interesting is that these FUDs are almost always in line with forum chatter and fanboy ramblings -- almost as if the intention is to just flame the fire and give people what they want to hear.

Pre-launch, it was some Xbox fanboys who were claiming that PS5 is the weaker machine (RDNA 1, no HW ray-tracing, 100 BC games, etc). Media outlets and "insiders" also ran with similar reports.

Now, some people are concerned (some genuine, while others are trolling) about the management of Sony and PS Studios, and we again have similar reports: journalists presenting normal production reporting in negative lights, people like Jeff Grubb doing podcasts with titles "What is wrong with Sony?!" lol.

They are just in here for clicks and views. Hence, giving people (hardcore gaming forums users) exactly what they are either afraid of (concerned PlayStation fans after the FUD) or what they want to hear (Xbox fanboys or just internet trolls who spread FUD).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
For the last time they had to push to get taken off Uncharted, they originally wanted to make a sequel, the new IP is basically Sony having to back down after Bends took a stand. Why you are glossing over the most important part is beyond me.
Because creative ideas also need to make financial sense, and that's the job of Sony's management. Developers pitch ideas, and they get rejected all the time. Nothing extraordinary.

Do you think Xbox's The Initiative (some of the best people in the gaming industry) wanted to do a reboot of Perfect Dark, instead of creating a new IP? Management intervenes all the time because they look at things beyond just creative ideas. If that wasn't necessary, no gaming studio would ever have failed or shut down.

Topher

Gold Member
They think it worked because of the blockbusters so they’re doubling down on it.

I don't think gutting Japan Studio is going to help them "double down" on blockbusters. This isn't addition via subtraction. It is just subtraction. Maybe Jim Ryan has some major plan in the works that will show us all what a genius he really is. But at this point, I'm seeing a generation ahead where Sony has fewer resources making games for PS5, not more.

Elios83

Totally agree with the FUD thing. What's more interesting is that these FUDs are almost always in line with forum chatter and fanboy ramblings -- almost as if the intention is to just flame the fire and give people what they want to hear.

Pre-launch, it was some Xbox fanboys who were claiming that PS5 is the weaker machine (RDNA 1, no HW ray-tracing, 100 BC games, etc). Media outlets and "insiders" also ran with similar reports.

Now, some people are concerned (some genuine, while others are trolling) about the management of Sony and PS Studios, and we again have similar reports: journalists presenting normal production reporting in negative lights, people like Jeff Grubb doing podcasts with titles "What is wrong with Sony?!" lol.

They are just in here for clicks and views. Hence, giving people (hardcore gaming forums users) exactly what they are either afraid of (concerned PlayStation fans after the FUD) or what they want to hear (Xbox fanboys or just internet trolls who spread FUD).

Yes it's really obvious and apparent even in the way it's cyclical.
Last year the target was hardware power because that was the point that they thought would yield the biggest results among early adopters and core gamers.
Then suddenly everything went radio silence between October and January.
Now since February a new cycle is beginning with, guess what, different objectives because the previous ones turned out to be a bunch of nothing.
So it's all about trying really really hard to paint the picture of a company mismanaged with an evil CEO that wants to destroy the brand :messenger_tears_of_joy: and how if you don't do multi billion acquisitions and release your AAA games day one on a subscription service you won't be able to compete/survive.
It's ridiculous, it only sucks for those fans that actually become frustrated over this bullshit and of course like I said Sony might try to do something about it understanding that for a part of the fanbase the really dry PR style does not work.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Imagine how PS4 generation would have been with the 2 fuck retards clowns:

No God Of War, franchise was considered dead and it's not allowed based the 2 clowns
No Horizon New IP with big budget not allowed based the 2 clowns
No Ghost Of Tsushima Same as Horizon
No Death Stranding
No Bloodborne
No Dayz Gone
Uncharted 4? Maybe or maybe not, cause U3 sold less than U2, and since the 2 clowns only cares about sales..
Spiderman? Maybe but would been less huge cause it was new IP
No FF7 Remake (Sony helped to develop the game)
Nier Automata may not happened like FF7, or at least modern Sony would not have helped to dev this game.
PS4 have sold way less than it did now because they would have been porting the games on PC.

And i may even forgot some here, bruh

Also btw fuck the movies and fuck the tv shows.
Jimbo and current managment may as well be Xboxs circa 2011-2014. Best we can hope for is they dont tarnish the brand too much, stay profitable, so that if/when new leadership whose not aloof and out of touch will have resources to revitalize the brand. In the mean time fingers crossed Microsoft doest buy a long term playstation partner or publisher. I think us PS fans are in a rough generation...

Because creative ideas also need to make financial sense, and that's the job of Sony's management. Developers pitch ideas, and they get rejected all the time. Nothing extraordinary.

Do you think Xbox's The Initiative (some of the best people in the gaming industry) wanted to do a reboot of Perfect Dark, instead of creating a new IP? Management intervenes all the time because they look at things beyond just creative ideas. If that wasn't necessary, no gaming studio would ever have failed or shut down.
You've come in with utter nonsense about an Xbox developer, we have the facts regarding PS and how they are running things, and it ain't a good look. Get out of this fanboy mindset and look at the facts. I'm sure Jason will follow up on this down the road but as it stands its not positive for PS or Jim Ryan (and he certainly doesn't need this).

It's a disgusting to make a new IP, like you said

I think this is the first time he heard such a thing.:/

You've come in with utter nonsense about an Xbox developer, we have the facts regarding PS and how they are running things, and it ain't a good look. Get out of this fanboy mindset and look at the facts. I'm sure Jason will follow up on this down the road but as it stands its not positive for PS or Jim Ryan (and he certainly doesn't need this).

And the facts are :
Bend is making a new IP. That's awesome / you said it is disgusting and demoralizing
Sony is making a bank on AAA games, that's awesome
Days Gone 2 is put on hold for now.

And the facts are :
Bend is making a new IP. That's awesome / you said it is disgusting and demoralizing
Sony is making a bank on AAA games, that's awesome
Days Gone 2 is put on hold for now.
You have trouble with reading comprehension, I never said making a new IP is disgusting, I said how they were treated was. I'm gonna leave it there anyway.

He didn't know the sales numbers. Games can sell great, but critically can failed and Days Gone was exactly that.

There we are 😅

At first I was questioning the part 1 Remake but I've put some thought into it and if Naughty Dog go straight into making Part 3 it makes perfect sense Imo.

It would mean all 3 games of the trilogy would be on PS5 at a similar quality. That sounds amazing if we are honest. This would allow them each to be released in line with the HBO Show.

If I'm Naughty Dog I go straight into Part 3 over a new IP to take advantage of the size of this IP.

The timeline would look something like below:
HBO Show Season 1 - Early 2022
Part 1 Remake and Factions - Early 2022
HBO Season 2 - Late 2023
Part 3 - Late 2024
HBO Season 3 - Early 2025

By 2025 the last of us is wrapped for both the games and TV show.

Release the installments like this and The Last of Us would become one of the biggest prices of Media in a long time.

yurinka

I think the writing is on the wall. GT7 didnt look a generation ahead and is targeting native 4k 60 fps with RT tacked on so its clear they are aiming to port this down to the PS4. If it was 1440p 60 fps, it wouldve been much harder to port that down to PS4.
I think it's pretty likely it will be crossgen because they need that PS4 huge userbase to pump GT sales that recently have not been so big as in older games. And at the same time, many PS4 gamers who still will wait for a few years before jumping to PS5 also want fresh games.

If the game is more scalable or not has nothing to do with its native resolution. The game could be the same recarding making it more scalable with 4K or 1440p native resolution. It has more to do with the game engine and how they implemented many areas of the game to make them scalable. Rendering, memory management, models, textures etc etc.

GoW being cross gen was a question put to jim Ryan and he refused to confirm if it was next gen. Thats basically a confirmation that its cross gen.

But yes, we will see. I just have zero hope at this point. They played coy with Miles until they were forced to admit it was a PS4 game. Samething with horizon. He went out and shat on Phil for launching cross gen games all summer while hiding the fact that both Miles and Horizon were cross gen.
They can't announce stuff in an interview just because they are asked about it. Companies are careful to don't talk about something until it's the right moment to announce it in the proper way, specially when things aren't set in stone so they can change or to be cancelled, or because they think it's better for announcing it later or after once they already announced something else before.

As an example, imagine that in this case the PS4 version of GoWR is also being made at the same time than the PS5, but the PS5 has priority and if in some point they see they can't fit the game on the PS4 version, they kill it. So before announcing the PS4 version they want to make 100% sure they will be able to put the whole game inside it so wouldn't announce it until they are sure.

Another reason to don't announce the PS4 version -if it exists- could be because they think that it's better to announce it after showing PS5 gameplay to prove that the PS4 didn't hold back the PS5 version, which looks bananas.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Most people didn't bother to read the article and just follow up on the FUD and misinformation train. It's pathetic.

Not really.

Canceling projects, shutting down studios, increasing focus on remakes to the point where now it’s first party doing the work?

They didn’t let VA studio do a fucking remake because it was expensive? Bend is being turned into a support studio until they deliver an idea that pleases Sony management?

None of this sounds good.

Yoda

Focus on only large IP is risky in its own right, it'll mean fewer first party exclusives over the life of the console. It's the only moat they have vs. Microsoft though.

Last edited:

Outrunner

Not really.

Canceling projects, shutting down studios, increasing focus on remakes to the point where now it’s first party doing the work?

They didn’t let VA studio do a fucking remake because it was expensive? Bend is being turned into a support studio until they deliver an idea that pleases Sony management?

None of this sounds good.

That's common in all these companies, the difference is that it the public doesn't get to hear about it.

rolandss

I agree for the most part. With that said, there are some N64 and PS1 games that would benefit heavily from a remake.
But remake or reboot? Why do we need to remake old games? Why not just reboot the franchise with new story and gameplay etc. instead of retread old ground?

Top Bottom