• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Sony’s Obsession With Blockbusters Is Stirring Unrest Within PlayStation Empire

Papacheeks

Banned
Days Gone 2 seems inevitable. With the momentum of the Ps5 patch and Pc version, it’s very surprising. Gotta be more to the story, the producers are not saying why they left, and supposedly Bend (without the days gone dudes) wanted to make a different game. Maybe they just needed a change before going back into it.

Naughty Dog is doing the remake now? That’s who should have to do such a project anyway, glad Sony let Bend reject it. I could give a flying f about ND’s TV aspirations. Neil will eventually leave if it’s a success, then ND can make games again.

Days gone on steam will easily do Horizon zero dawn numbers if not more since it's running Unreal 4, so I doubt there will be as many issues like there were for horizon.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sony isn't closing studios. They moved away the 2nd party publishing/localization/etc part of Japan Studio or Santa Monica to handle them globally for the whole PlayStation Studios, and downsized the internal development of the studio to focus it around Team Asobi.

Their output isn't going down. The opposite, they are releasing more 1st party, 2nd party and 3rd party (both big and small) exclusive games than ever before. Sony has been growing their studios, and the money the save from small 2nd party games is spent on many indie exclusives.

They aren't focused in remakes. Recently they released the highly requested Demon's Souls remake, and seems to be working o the TLOU remake because it was the idea of a small team. They are working on over a dozen of other games (+2nd and 3rd party exclusives) that aren't remakes.

Studios that during the PS2/PS3 generation released 3 or more games, became 2 game studios during the PS4 generation. This is a fact, so the whole “our studios are increasing their capacity” is just code for larger studios, larger projects.

Santa Monica shipped 1 game, PD shipped one game, Bend shipped one game... GG and ND two games...

Does it look like to you that these studios will suddenly increase their output? Because the trend at Sony is the other way.

And who will replace the contributions of studios like Ready at Dawn, Quantic Dream, Kojipro, Evolution studios, Japan Studio?

Then there’s the problem of IP ownership. Studios capable of AAA productions are now fighting to keep IP ownership.

Sony’s answer so far seems to be paying out of their ass for exclusive deals like Final Fantasy, which is doing nothing for me as a PlayStation gamers since I was already going to get that... and then hope that some indie dev somewhere has a hit on their hands.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Studios that during the PS2/PS3 generation released 3 or more games, became 2 game studios during the PS4 generation. This is a fact, so the whole “our studios are increasing their capacity” is just code for larger studios, larger projects.

Santa Monica shipped 1 game, PD shipped one game, Bend shipped one game... GG and ND two games...

Does it look like to you that these studios will suddenly increase their output? Because the trend at Sony is the other way.

And who will replace the contributions of studios like Ready at Dawn, Quantic Dream, Kojipro, Evolution studios, Japan Studio?

Then there’s the problem of IP ownership. Studios capable of AAA productions are now fighting to keep IP ownership.

Sony’s answer so far seems to be paying out of their ass for exclusive deals like Final Fantasy, which is doing nothing for me as a PlayStation gamers since I was already going to get that... and then hope that some indie dev somewhere has a hit on their hands.
yep. games are only going to take longer to make. just look at horizon 2. started dev in february 2017. you'd expect it to be a launch title for the ps5 since that wouldve been 3 years and 9 months of dev time, but nope. it is increasingly looking like it wont come out in 2021. and thats a cross gen game, not even a next gen game.

say it comes out in feb 2022. 5 years of dev time. their next game wont come out until 2027.

now of course, maybe sony has doubled the size of their studios and SSM, ND, GG and sucker punch all have two teams working on ps5 games all this time, but i highly doubt it since ND delayed their last game multiple times and needed sony bends help to finish it.

we will see what herman hurst and jimbo have done to increase their output at their e3 conference. if all we get from them is horizon 2, gow2, tlou factions then you know they got nothing else and we are looking at a almost microsoft like dearth of games from them starting from 2022 to 2027. we might get a sucker punch game in 2024 or 2025 but thats it until 2027 when ps6 should be coming out.

I always find it funny that people bring the business side into this. As if Sony making profits or selling more consoles has anything to do with the quality of their games. As a gamer, who gives a shit if sony makes billions. how will that affect me as a gamer?

Having naughty dog remake tlou1 delays any potential naughty dog games in the future. i was fine with a support studio creating it because they dont typically make games anyway, but the moment you get ND involved is when i am like fuck this. its like getting from software devs to make the demon souls remake instead of elden rings. its nonsense and an utter waste of resources.

there is an argument that can be made that sony making more profits will somehow trickle down to us poor gamers. we will see more games. more features from psn. more exclusives. similar arguments were made when horizon went to pc. those profits would go towards horizon 2 they said. and yet, sony is so strapped for cash they are going to completely shit on that game by making it cross gen. those billions sony made last year did not result in horizon 2 becoming a next gen only game. if anything, those billions convinced them that they need to make even more pc ports of first party games taking resources away from GG and other sony studios.

I agree. Its crazy. You'd almost think some of these dudes work or are actively applying for Sony's marketing and business departments in secrecy. The fixation on Sony's business side and sales figures is overboard. Its like they need to find legitimacy for every decision that Sony makes even if it works against their own interest.

Not to mention, these dudes are handling Sony's marketing without them spending a dime.

cb3e3fdac1e137657a1728d9cbfc933d2ba92dfe9186bf40c5ce5f56efda084b_1.jpg

About 'Organic growth'

In October of 2020, Jim Ryan said this;

"It’s probably not widely appreciated or understood, to what extent that we have grown our own game development capability organically over the course of this generation,” he told GamesIndustry.biz.

He also took the opportunity to take (what seems now like) a weak jab at Xbox for buying studios.... mentioning their 'spending spree'.

But with recent news it seems that much of the supposed organic growth has amounted to nothing, with a potential new studio from VASG dissolved and Sony Bend in complete disarray after being mismanaged... having a sequel to their successful new IP Days Gone not green-lit, regressing them into a support studio for Naughty Dog and losing their writer and designer (and studio heads). A game from Bend is now at least 4 years away due to Hermen Hulsts decisions.

Then we have San Diego studio, making MLB The Show... a one time exclusive, PlayStation succumbed to the pressure of MLB to make the title multplatform, there is no studio to make an exclusive in place of San Diego and as an added slap in the face to PlayStation users, MLB The Show is a part of Gamepass on day 1.

Speaking of mismanagement, we have Naughty Dog. Whose ego has been allowed to run wild and really impact other studios negatively.
According to the recent news Naughty Dog is working on a TLOU remake for PS5.... meaning they have not been working on a new IP, that most people were anticipating for a long time. A TLOU remake is redundant, a money grab that is so obvious and shameless that it really makes me rage personally.

Mm hasn't made anything commercial in a decade.

Aaand of course we have Japan Studio, that has been ruined by the new management team of Hermen and Jim.... filled with artistic and exploitative creators, they were not afforded the patience of Media Molecule..... perhaps the team was not diverse enough? All I know is that games like Gravity Rush are beloved among the hardcore and although niche, it doesn't mean those games were not important.

For all this managerial incompetence, there has not been a penny spent on new studios to make up for all of the missteps. There is no communication to say that they will try to do better. They simply bury their heads in the sand and wait for their fans to go away. There is no hunger to succeed, there is no passion for the games, there is no vision.

What did they invest in? a mobile game department and making naughty dog games into films and TV shows... (Hey, didn't they know The Road was already made into a film?)

Every move seems like a big 'fuck you' to every PlayStation fan and they are about to squander all the goodwill and hardwork of the past 10 years in record time.

yep. games are only going to take longer to make. just look at horizon 2. started dev in february 2017. you'd expect it to be a launch title for the ps5 since that wouldve been 3 years and 9 months of dev time, but nope. it is increasingly looking like it wont come out in 2021. and thats a cross gen game, not even a next gen game.

say it comes out in feb 2022. 5 years of dev time. their next game wont come out until 2027.

now of course, maybe sony has doubled the size of their studios and SSM, ND, GG and sucker punch all have two teams working on ps5 games all this time, but i highly doubt it since ND delayed their last game multiple times and needed sony bends help to finish it.

we will see what herman hurst and jimbo have done to increase their output at their e3 conference. if all we get from them is horizon 2, gow2, tlou factions then you know they got nothing else and we are looking at a almost microsoft like dearth of games from them starting from 2022 to 2027. we might get a sucker punch game in 2024 or 2025 but thats it until 2027 when ps6 should be coming out.

COVID could have caused some big delays for games releasing in 2022. I wouldn't judge their PS5 output until E3 2022. That gives them a bit extra time to polish stuff that may otherwise not be ready.

i'm fully prepared for Sony only showing exactly what you described this year...

The fact Sony, supposedly, ditched DG2, doesn't mean they will not give the game a proper sequence in the future.

Come on, the game is coming to pc soon. It will got way more attention and fans. Also, Sony owns the IP. They can do whatever they want with it. For that reason, I believe Sony's interest in Days Gone as a franchise still very up, imo.

That's why I called that statement about Days Gone kinda bs.

The fact Sony, supposedly, ditched DG2, doesn't mean they will not give the game a proper sequence in the future.

Come on, the game is coming to pc soon. It will got way more attention and fans. Also, Sony owns the IP. They can do whatever they want with it. For that reason, I believe Sony's interest in Days Gone as a franchise still very up, imo.

That's why I called that statement about Days Gone kinda bs.

If Bend isn't working on it, the IP is dead IMHO.

Hopefully their next project can be a bit more original.

About 'Organic growth'

In October of 2020, Jim Ryan said this;

"It’s probably not widely appreciated or understood, to what extent that we have grown our own game development capability organically over the course of this generation,” he told GamesIndustry.biz.

He also took the opportunity to take (what seems now like) a weak jab at Xbox for buying studios.... mentioning their 'spending spree'.

But with recent news it seems that much of the supposed organic growth has amounted to nothing, with a potential new studio from VASG dissolved and Sony Bend in complete disarray after being mismanaged... having a sequel to their successful new IP Days Gone not green-lit, regressing them into a support studio for Naughty Dog and losing their writer and designer (and studio heads). A game from Bend is now at least 4 years away due to Hermen Hulsts decisions.

What the hell you're talking about? Bend is working on a new IP and Sony doesn't have a problem with it. Days Gone 2 is put on hold. Btw. that was Shawn Layden, not Jim Ryan.

Then we have San Diego studio, making MLB The Show... a one time exclusive, PlayStation succumbed to the pressure of MLB to make the title multplatform, there is no studio to make an exclusive in place of San Diego and as an added slap in the face to PlayStation users, MLB The Show is a part of Gamepass on day 1.

I think you'll be also pressured of MLB too.

Speaking of mismanagement, we have Naughty Dog. Whose ego has been allowed to run wild and really impact other studios negatively.
According to the recent news Naughty Dog is working on a TLOU remake for PS5.... meaning they have not been working on a new IP, that most people were anticipating for a long time. A TLOU remake is redundant, a money grab that is so obvious and shameless that it really makes me rage personally.

Do you know that Naughty Dog has two teams. One team can make a remake, other one a sequel or a new IP

Mm hasn't made anything commercial in a decade.

Media Molecule? They released Dreams a year ago and it is still heavily supported by devs. Bunch of creations are breathtaking.

Aaand of course we have Japan Studio, that has been ruined by the new management team of Hermen and Jim.... filled with artistic and exploitative creators, they were not afforded the patience of Media Molecule..... perhaps the team was not diverse enough? All I know is that games like Gravity Rush are beloved among the hardcore and although niche, it doesn't mean those games were not important.

For all this managerial incompetence, there has not been a penny spent on new studios to make up for all of the missteps. There is no communication to say that they will try to do better. They simply bury their heads in the sand and wait for their fans to go away. There is no hunger to succeed, there is no passion for the games, there is no vision.

Yeah, shame for Japan Studio. At least not all of them left and merged with other studio in Japan.

What did they invest in? a mobile game department and making naughty dog games into films and TV shows... (Hey, didn't they know The Road was already made into a film?)

Because they see a business sense in that? Their game Fate/Grand Order is a damn successful. Maybe soon they will bring back PS Now to Android like it was few years ago. Also, they didn't bought Crunchyroll for nothing

Every move seems like a big 'fuck you' to every PlayStation fan and they are about to squander all the goodwill and hardwork of the past 10 years in record time.

It seems you are overreacting a bit. Returnal is almost here. Soon Ratchet after that.

yurinka

Bullshit.

Santa Monica this generation developed by themselves released GoW3R, GoW 2018 and we don't know if GoWR too, and they also worked on their cancelled game. In addition to this Santa Monica this generation did publish/supported/incubated/etc Journey, Sound Shapes, The Unfinished Swan, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Order: 1886, Fat Princess, Here They Lie, What Remains of Edith Finch. This isn't "1 game".

For PS5 seems that like Japan Studio, Sony Santa Monica will stop doing 2nd party publishing/supporting/incubation/etc because this will be handled globally from PlayStation Studios (and seems that moving the small 2nd party publishing to 3rd party indies under Shu Yoshida's umbrella), in order to allow dev studios like Santa Monica or Japan Studio to focus on their own games.

Bend released this generation Uncharted Golden Abyss, Uncharted: Fight for Fortune, Days Gone and we don't know if the multiplayer game and the Uncharted game they have been making with/for ND will be released in PS4 (I assume the game they just started is for PS5 only). This isn't "1 game".

Guerrilla released Killzone Shadowfall, HZD and will release this year HFW, and supported Killzone Mercenary and Death Stranding. This isn't "2 games".

ND released TLOUR, U4, Nathan Drake Collection, Lost Legacy, TLOU2 and we don't now if their upcoming multiplayer game and next Uncharted will be released in PS4. Plus did help on at least Golden Abyss and Uncharted: Fight for Fortune. This isn't "2 games".

On top of that all these studios have been growing and seems will continue growing. So they will release more games. We also have to consider that every generation AAA game require more work, so require more people/time working on them.

It's still very early in the generation and Sony's 1st and 2nd party plus 3rd AAA party exclusives and 3rd party exclusives output as of now is so big that they only show/announce games to be released in the next months/year. Unlike before they don't need to show/annouce games to be released like 3 or 4 years in the future or more.

But I'd bet Insomniac, From Software, Bluepoint, Quantic Dream, Kojipro, Sumo Digital, Housemarque and Japan Studio.

Sony keeps the IPs of their own games. For some 2nd party studios that didn't sell a lot and want to do independent stuff like Quantic Dream, ThatGameCompany or Kojipro Sony allowed them to release their game on PC to help them while at the same time earning extra revenue.

3rd party studios prefer timed console exclusivity, to self publish their games and keep their IP instead of being 2nd party because it allows them to get more revenue from the same game from that version and other ports and hypothetical sequels, and to have more creative freedom. It's specially important for them as dev cost rise every generation.

Sony (like MS and Nintendo) also prefer a timed console exclusivity over a 2nd party game because it's way cheaper for them, less risky and allows them to get more exclusives with the same money while having basically the same -or better, looking at Sony's and Nintendo's recent numbers- effect than a full exclusivity.

And is better for the players too, because games released in more places means more players can play them. Sony publishes game from a lot of genres, plus secures 3rd party exclusives on other ones, plus multiplaform versions of the other ones. With all that they cover a huge range of games, more than the other console makers, and this is why they dominate the market.

You may care about some games and don't care about other games, but for other people won't care about the games you care and will prefer the games you don't care instead. Sony offers a bit of everything, but focus on the ones that more people like. Or what it's the same: they focus on what the market demands, not in the opinion of an individual random forum poster whose opinion doesn't reflect the market. Which makes sense.

Bullshit. It's stupid to expect them to announce this E3 the games they plan to release until 2025 or 2027.

As they have been doing in the recent times, they will focus on the games they plan to release in the next months. Maximum a year or so, and maybe a couple of additonal big games that will release a bit beyond that (2023).

I think their focus will be Horizon 2, GoWR and GT7 gameplay plus if released soon, the ND+Bend multiplayer game and the TLOU2 PS5+TLOU remake package. If lucky we'll get a Spider-Man 2 announcement (for 2022). I think they'll keep that new Uncharted for another day. Then they will also show some great 3rd party exclusives they have for H2 2021 and H1 2022 (both AAA and indie, some announced there, most of them already announced), plus a few huge AAA multis where they have marketing deal.

They may announce at E3 or around that their next gen PS Now plans (maybe affecting PS Plus/PS Plus Collection/Play at Home too). They may also announce some acquisition, one of the teams with a long tradition of making exclusives for them.

All their big main studios are now bigger than they ever have been, and are working on multiple games at the same time. So will release more games than before if the following years.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
What the hell you're talking about? Bend is working on a new IP and Sony doesn't have a problem with it. Days Gone 2 is put on hold. Btw. that was Shawn Layden, not Jim Ryan.

I think you'll be also pressured of MLB too.

Do you know that Naughty Dog has two teams. One team can make a remake, other one a sequel or a new IP

Media Molecule? They released Dreams a year ago and it is still heavily supported by devs. Bunch of creations are breathtaking.

Yeah, shame for Japan Studio. At least not all of them left and merged with other studio in Japan.

Because they see a business sense in that? Their game Fate/Grand Order is a damn successful. Maybe soon they will bring back PS Now to Android like it was few years ago. Also, they didn't bought Crunchyroll for nothing

It seems you are overreacting a bit. Returnal is almost here. Soon Ratchet after that.

Do you know what is not coming? A Kojima game.... PlayStation leadership didn't want his next game...

How is the IP dead if we got Days Gone 1 and its coming to pc soon? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Meaning there won't be a DG2

Look, I loved Days Gone...but I think the studio has potential to do a lot better with a new IP that's not in the same genre as TLOU.

It sucks that it'll take a long time to re-tool the studio for a new IP though. Days Gone took 7 years. Hopefully their next game can come out in 5 years.

First and foremost game development time goes up and especially cost to. So, this isn't a surprise at all. Days Gone was in development for damn 5 years. HZD 6 or 7.

I liked The Order, but it has its flaws. RAD fucked up with that and Sony spent millions and it failed commercially and critically.
Quantic Dream signed a contract for 3 games with Sony. I think Sony wouldn't signed another one because QD had an internal problems
Evolution Studios fucked up Driveclub launch badly. Loved that game, one of the best arcade games ever. but let's be realistic. They've failed on that. Also, failed with Onrush too.
Regarding Sony Japan, yeah, it is sad, really. After all, not all devs left and they are merged with others in Astro team Asobo. Who knows what they will do next. Astro Playroom VR and Astro on PS5 are damn gems. Not everything is lost.

Do you know what is not coming? A Kojima game.... PlayStation leadership didn't want his next game...

Nobody saw a his new game and still is a rumor.

Bryank75

Banned

First and foremost game development time goes up and especially cost to. So, this isn't a surprise at all. Days Gone was in development for damn 5 years. HZD 6 or 7.

I liked The Order, but it has its flaws. RAD fucked up with that and Sony spent millions and it failed commercially and critically.
Quantic Dream signed a contract for 3 games with Sony. I think Sony wouldn't signed another one because QD had an internal problems
Evolution Studios fucked up Driveclub launch badly. Loved that game, one of the best arcade games ever. but let's be realistic. They've failed on that. Also, failed with Onrush too.
Regarding Sony Japan, yeah, it is sad, really. After all, not all devs left and they are merged with others in Astro team Asobo. Who knows what they will do next. Astro Playroom VR and Astro on PS5 are damn gems. Not everything is lost.

Nobody saw a his new game and still is a rumor.
Jim Ryan cannot get one thing right dude.... the whole thing is a shitshow and this has been going on for weeks. I will not pretend that things are anything other than a disaster. Sorry!

yurinka

Handheld games from 2011 and remasters now count as PS4 games? My god man, hell fucking no. Raise your standards, please. Santa Monica doesn’t get bonus points for doing support part time.
They count as games of this generation. Because they are games released this generation (PS4 + Vita). Handheld games and remasters aren't made out of air and magic. They need people working on them too.

To not count them it's very stupid, it would be like to say Nintendo and all Switch games shouldn't be count to compare games of a generation, because they make many remasters and Switch is a portable.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
They count as games of this generation. Because they are games released this generation (PS4 + Vita). Handheld games and remasters aren't made out of air and magic. They need people working on them too.

Doesn’t make any sense to place Vita and PS4 as being from the same gen.

yurinka

There are some things that need to be taken into consideration:
-Both are new IPs, which requires extra time
-Both are the first open world game both worked on, which requires extra time
-One had a brand new engine and the other one was their first AAA home console game in ages, which requires extra time
-Both are huge ass games with great visuals, which requires extra time
-They were developed by a team way smaller than other open worlds are made
-These two games were profitable, and several other games took that time or more and weren't profitable (like The Last Guardian)

yurinka

Doesn’t make any sense to place Vita and PS4 as being from the same gen.
PS3, 360, Wii, DS and PSP are considered the same generation.
PS4, XBO, WiiU, Vita and 3DS the next one.
PS5, Xbox Series and Switch the next one.

Obviously all the consoles and handhelds aren't released at the same time, but they are part of the same generation.

Meaning there won't be a DG2

Look, I loved Days Gone...but I think the studio has potential to do a lot better with a new IP that's not in the same genre as TLOU.

It sucks that it'll take a long time to re-tool the studio for a new IP though. Days Gone took 7 years. Hopefully their next game can come out in 5 years.

What I'm saying is: If the game exists, the ip is not dead. You need the ip to sell the product :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Jim Ryan cannot get one thing right dude.... the whole thing is a shitshow and this has been going on for weeks. I will not pretend that things are anything other than a disaster. Sorry!

Under Jim Ryan PS4 in 2019 and especially 2020 were the best, man. Games, man.

Yes, you'are bit overreacting. PS5 is just 6 months old.

PS5 launch was the best in console history. Bunch of new users got this :

Available now;

• Demon's Souls
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales
  • Destruction All-stars
  • Oddworld Soulstorm
  • Bugsnax
  • The Pathless
Releasing very soon or later this year

• Returnal
  • Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • GhostWire: Tokyo
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits
  • Little Devil Inside
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • Praey for the Gods
  • Season
  • Solar Ash
  • Stray
For those with PS Plus there's access to the PS Plus Collection, PS Plus monthly titles, plus there's Play at Home too, so access to 32 additional games for next to no money at all;

PS Plus Collection:

• Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Call of Duty Black Ops III Zombies Chronicles
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • God of War
  • inFAMOUS: Second Son
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Until Dawn
Play at Home:

• Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition (April 16th)
  • The Witness
  • Abzu
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Rez Infinite (VR optional)
  • Subnautica
  • Astro Bot Rescue Mission (VR)
  • Moss (VR)
  • Thumper (VR)
  • Paper Beast (VR)
PS Plus:

• Days Gone
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm
  • Zombie Army 4: Dead War

So good PS Plus has been lately, the Play at Home scheme, PS Plus Collection, the quality of the hardware, the DualSense, full PS4 BC etc. Now PSVR 2 was recently announced, controllers are being showed, Returnal is coming out soon

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

Available now;

• Demon's Souls
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Destruction All-stars
  • Oddworld Soulstorm
  • Bugsnax
  • The Pathless

• Returnal
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Little Devil Inside
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • Praey for the Gods
  • Season
  • Solar Ash
  • Stray
For those with PS Plus there's access to the PS Plus Collection, PS Plus monthly titles, plus there's Play at Home too, so access to 32 additional games for next to no money at all;

PS Plus Collection:

• Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Call of Duty Black Ops III Zombies Chronicles
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • God of War
  • inFAMOUS: Second Son
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Until Dawn
Play at Home:

• The Witness
  • Abzu
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Subnautica
  • Moss (VR)
  • Thumper (VR)
  • Paper Beast (VR)
PS Plus:

• Days Gone

So good PS Plus has been lately, the Play at Home scheme, PS Plus Collection, the quality of the hardware, the DualSense, full PS4 BC etc. Now PSVR 2 was recently announced, controllers are being showed.
Jim Ryan has nothing got to do with any of those games development... especially Demons Souls.
He just inherited games that were in development for years.

He just decided to shut down PS3, PSP and PS Vita stores without telling developers and after selling Vita dev kits.

He is destroying the reputation of PlayStation among developers and forcing talent to quit and go to Xbox and other companies.

He has no idea about creativity.

He has basically cut the heart out of Sony.... there is no communication, no personality, no executives bother to talk to podcasts or sites...... all we get is a disembodied voice in the State of Plays.

MLB appearing on Gamepass shows that he hasn't got his eye on the ball.

The amount of costcutting shows he comes at the job from a cost management / management accountant perspective..... he wants to make the organization lean and streamline it.
But he doesn't realize that it is about creating a complete ecosystem, not everything will make a tidy profit..... some will lose a little money and others will make a lot of money but that doesn't mean it is alright to cut the service that loses money...... because people value those services and if too many of those are lost, people will begin to leave to where they are catered.

Nearly every bit of news for the last 2 months has been negative.

He is also incredibly greedy.... 70 dollars / 80 euro per game AND putting games on PC. He could have chosen one or the other but he wanted both...... We are not financially illiterate, it is easy to see that PS made 3.3 billion this year. His talk about games being too expensive is bullshit. He could make another 30-40 blockbuster AAA games this year and still break even.
He could buy the whole of Sega this year and still break even......

He must think we are mugs.....

Jim Ryan has nothing got to do with any of those games development... especially Demons Souls.

He just decided to shut down PS3, PSP and PS Vita stores without telling developers and after selling Vita dev kits.

He is destroying the reputation of PlayStation among developers and forcing talent to quit and go to Xbox and other companies.

He has basically cut the heart out of Sony.... there is no communication, no personality, no executives bother to talk to podcasts or sites...... all we get is a disembodied voice in the State of Plays.

The amount of costcutting shows he comes at the job from a cost management / management accountant perspective..... he wants to make the organization lean and streamline it.
But he doesn't realize that it is about creating a complete ecosystem, not everything will make a tidy profit..... some will lose a little money and others will make a lot of money but that doesn't mean it is alright to cut the service that loses money...... because people value those services and if too many of those are lost, people will begin to leave to where they are catered.

He is also incredibly greedy.... 70 dollars / 80 euro per game AND putting games on PC. He could have chosen one or the other but he wanted both...... We are not financially illiterate, it is easy to see that PS made 3.3 billion this year. His talk about games being too expensive is bullshit. He could make another 30-40 blockbuster AAA games this year and still break even.

I hope you are joking for dramatic effect, it's common knowledge that MLB was out of their control, it was either make a version for xbox that MLB was going to publish or lose the license. This way they still get to make the ONLY MLB game AND get paid for the xbox version but it was MLB's choice to put it on gamepass Sony had no say in the matter.

Bryank75

Banned
I hope you are joking for dramatic effect, it's common knowledge that MLB was out of their control, it was either make a version for xbox that MLB was going to publish or lose the license. This way they still get to make the ONLY MLB game AND get paid for the xbox version but it was MLB's choice to put it on gamepass Sony had no say in the matter.
Yeah, they should have told them to shove it!

'Find someone who can do it as well as we did' is what should have been said.

Now we have a Sony studio game for free on Xbox and asking 60 or 70 for PS gamers.... and a studio that is no longer making exclusives.

Games were under development under him ( he could canceled them, isn't it ) Games lauched under him. And PS5 too.

So, which developers are developing games for PSP and PS3??? No one buying games there anymore. No discounts for years now. PSVita Store had last discounts in 2016 maybe.

So, Andrew House closed Evolution Studios and Guerilla Cambridge. He fucked PlayStation badly :/

Same as major devs from 343 left in last two years. Also some devs left the Initiative.

You are very delusional here. Very!

Sony partners with influencers like Travis Scott now. Travis Scott wouldn’t be caught dead near this forum. 99.9% of the public cares about cool trailers, cool controllers, cool banners and flashy logos. Anyone that follows Sony’s twitter, IG or YouTube page on a regular basis sees Sony is all about content.

Sony does communicate to their audience. Sony communicates a lot in fact. Their message gets delivered primarily through IG or other social media platforms. As a result, Sony is recognized as one of the strongest brands on social media.

As a forum dweller myself, I don’t fault Sony for not wanting to interact with us at all.

MLB publishing it on Xbox. MLB wants the Show to grow. The Show grew substantially in the last few years. MLB The Show 21 will set new series sales records now it's multiformat and Sony will get every single cut from MTX, copies sold on every platform, even a cut from Gamepass deal. Sony wants to make money here, not listen your feelings.

He is at PlayStation for 27 years, man. Since 1994. I think he knows better than me, you or anybody else here. Greedy you say. Btw. Sony wasn't the first who raised the prices for games. Sooner or later, other big publisher will raise the price too. Greedy bastards.

His talk about games being too expensive is bullshit.

Stop right there. You know that development cost and time goes up heavily.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Games were under development under him ( he could canceled them, isn't it ) Games lauched under him. And PS5 too.

So, which developers are developing games for PSP and PS3??? No one buying games there anymore. No discounts for years now. PSVita Store had last discounts in 2016 maybe.

So, Andrew House closed Evolution Studios and Guerilla Cambridge. He fucked PlayStation badly :/

Same as major devs from 343 left in last two years. Also some devs left the Initiative.

You are very delusional here. Very!

Sony partners with influencers like Travis Scott now. Travis Scott wouldn’t be caught dead near this forum. 99.9% of the public cares about cool trailers, cool controllers, cool banners and flashy logos. Anyone that follows Sony’s twitter, IG or YouTube page on a regular basis sees Sony is all about content.

Sony does communicate to their audience. Sony communicates a lot in fact. Their message gets delivered primarily through IG or other social media platforms. As a result, Sony is recognized as one of the strongest brands on social media.

As a forum dweller myself, I don’t fault Sony for not wanting to interact with us at all.

MLB publishing it on Xbox. MLB wants the Show to grow. The Show grew substantially in the last few years. MLB The Show 21 will set new series sales records now it's multiformat and Sony will get every single cut from MTX, copies sold on every platform, even a cut from Gamepass deal. Sony wants to make money here, not listen your feelings.

He is at PlayStation for 27 years, man. I think he knows better than me, you or anybody else here. Greedy you say. Btw. Sony wasn't the first who raised the prices for games. Sooner or later, other big publisher will raise the price too. Greedy bastards.

Stop right there. You know that development cost and time goes up heavily.

27 years in Europe, where he faced no competition and had to do nothing.... I live in Europe, we get an inferior version of everything..... is that what he is promising to bring the rest of the world? An inferior version of things PS has done before in the US and Japan? Seems like it....

Games have MTX now and PS gets 30% of all of those..... it shows since PlayStation is more profitable than ever. As I said 3.3 billion or enough to buy Sega outright. But not a cent invested in new studios so far.

The guy is a disaster so far.... I am waiting for him to prove he is not....

27 years in Europe, where he faced no competition and had to do nothing.... I live in Europe, we get an inferior version of everything..... is that what he is promising to bring the rest of the world? An inferior version of things PS has done before in the US and Japan? Seems like it....

Then you missed 360 era and where Switch is doing gangbusters in Europe, but PS4 had bigger success in Europe. Yeah, he has no idea what he's doing.

Inferior version of everything? LOL Resident Evil 8 will be censored in Japan, but not in Europe. You'll get the best version. Don't worry

Games have MTX now and PS gets 30% of all of those..... it shows since PlayStation is more profitable than ever. As I said 3.3 billion or enough to buy Sega outright. But not a cent invested in new studios so far.

The guy is a disaster so far.... I am waiting for him to prove he is not....

There are more important things than buying Sega. How about funding game development for 1st party studios, which Sony is doing now. And that's great

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
So what I got out of this is the following;

Japan Studio was downsized and refocused because Sony thinks continuing to make smaller games that cater to a Japanese audience, that don't even sell in Japan or anywhere else really, is a bad business practice.

We pretty much already discussed this to death. As I've said before about Japan Studio, you don't get to be a big multi-team studio when only one of them is producing anything worth a damn. Outside of Asobi, Japan Studio hadn't produced anything truly notable for many years. Toyama spent over 20 years failing to produce a hit like he did with Silent Hill, which is exactly why Sony hired him in the first place, and the core team was giving us games like Knack because apparently someone didn't know that Mark Cerny doesn't know how to make great games anymore. Just great hardware. Team Ico had dissolved a long time ago. Many of the games the studio was known for were made by third parties.

Bend Studio tried to convince Sony to let them do a sequel to Days Gone since the first was a commercial success, though by how much we don't know, and Sony said no. Reasoning seems to be that Sony didn't trust that Bend wouldn't spend another lengthy development cycle to end up pushing out a game that gets roasted for having a bunch of issues. So they assigned part of the studio to help Naughty Dog work on what is presumably Factions and the rest of the studio was put to work on a new Uncharted game. But Bend convinced Sony to at least let them off the hook from being Naughty Dog's bitch and work on a new IP that they just started.

The situation with Bend is a shame but really not shocking. They spent nearly an entire generation to create one game that fell on its face at launch. We don't really know how well it succeeded commercially. Simply that it did. I'm having a hard time believing it was something special though. If it had truly sold gangbusters and made a ton of money back Sony would have surely said yes to a sequel. After all, they ended up saying yes to Bend working on a new IP. Sony clearly doesn't have faith in Days Gone and it probably ended up costing them a lot for how long it took to develop. Not to mention landing at a 71 critical average when even Concrete Genie pulled off a 75 (MC) / 77 (OC) average probably stung really bad. The happy ending to this story is that Bend is being given another chance to do its own thing instead of being used as a backup studio to Naughty Dog.

VASG (Visual Arts Services Group) put together a small team within the studio to act as a new, full blown development team. The intent was to work on existing Sony franchises and they started with a remake of the original Uncharted. It was quickly deemed too much for the team to handle without being overly expensive and lengthy so they opted instead to do a remake of The Last of Us. But upon presenting their progress to the new head of Worldwide Studios, Hermen Hulst, he wasn't at all impressed and refused to further greenlight the project with VASG in charge. Instead, Naughty Dog was put in charge with VASG assisting.

At least we finally know for sure what this new team in the San Diego area is and what they were planning. They were doing a remake. Not a new game. Not a new IP. They were doing a remake of The Last of Us. Which they are still working on. They're just not in charge of it because they didn't convince Hulst that they had what it took. The Last of Us is a crown jewel franchise for Sony. They're not going to so lightly place it in the hands of an untested team that failed to make them comfortable when they showed them what they had accomplished. This is yet another example of how hard it is to create good development teams from the ground up. Hulst has been front and center in game development for a long time. I trust his judgement on what he saw that made him against the idea of VASG being left to their own devices. There is little doubt in my mind that if he was impressed they would have been given a lot more funding and recruitment. Bluepoint, Capcom, and Square Enix have already set the bars for remakes and you know Sony would not be satisfied with a remake of The Last of Us that didn't stand at or above those bars.

TL: DR; Nothing about this report is terribly surprising or something to get worked up about. We knew the situation with Japan Studio. There was already the feeling that Bend Studio might not get another shot with Days Gone and Sony would have good reason to not go through with a sequel. At least they get to do a new IP. We didn't even know who or what exactly the San Diego team was but it sounds like Sony was never really impressed with them. The only thing about this story that is surprising is that Sony is going through the trouble to remake The Last of Us and it sounds like it's to bring it up to the visual and gameplay standards of Part 2 for PS5. I would not at all be surprised to see Sony go all out with the franchise by giving us a remake of Part 1, a PS5 version or at least an update patch for Part 2, and the Factions multi-player game which I'm pretty sure is gonna be a battle royale. All in one package though hopefully with the option to purchase separately.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Then you missed 360 era and where Switch is doing gangbusters in Europe, but PS4 had bigger success in Europe. Yeah, he has no idea what he's doing.

Inferior version of everything? LOL Resident Evil 8 will be censored in Japan, but not in Europe. You'll get the best version. Don't worry

There are more important things than buying Sega. How about funding game development for 1st party studios, which Sony is doing now.
Funding what?

5 AAA studios? ND, SP,, insomniac, GG and SMS are the only ones doing big games.

I love GT and Polyphony is doing their thing but it's not really in the conversation.

San Diego...multiplat

Mm... hasn't launched anything commercial in a decade

Japan.... completely eviscerated.

How much funding is there annually for these studios? Maybe 1 to 1.5 billion over 3 year.... It's a drop in the bucket when you are talking about a company with revenue of 25 billion.

They desperately need more 1st party..... not everything needs to be AAA. Generate interest, experiment..... get people excited.

People are excited about Xbox and all their studios, they are excited about the potential and PS is looking pedestrian and greedy in comparison.

They simply have no excuse.

Funding what?

5 AAA studios? ND, SP,, insomniac, GG and SMS are the only ones doing big games.

I love GT and Polyphony is doing their thing but it's not really in the conversation.

But Sony is also funding GT7 and it will be big. Sony is also funding team Asobo, Sony was funding Returnal. Sony is also funding next BluePoint game.

San Diego...multiplat

San Diego isn't multiplat only.

Media Molecule launched Dreams last year. You should try it in VR.

How much funding is there annually for these studios? Maybe 1 to 1.5 billion over 3 year.... It's a drop in the bucket when you are talking about a company with revenue of 25 billion.

They desperately need more 1st party..... not everything needs to be AAA. Generate interest, experiment..... get people excited.

People are excited about Xbox and all their studios, they are excited about the potential and PS is looking pedestrian and greedy in comparison.

Sony is getting bunch of smaller games. I think you should read their blog more often or watching their youtube channel.

So, people have been excited about Xbox in last 7 years and all the time waiting till every E3. :/

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm ambivalent towards the Days Gone news. It was OK, but I understand why the brass would be reluctant to fund a sequel. I wonder how popular it is in comparison to the other games in the PS5 PS+ collection.

In any case the current executives should think about what kind of message these actions send to their employees: someone takes on a bunch of student loan debt, studies hard and works on their own projects to fill out their CV, works for peanuts at smaller studios and on indie projects, all to finally get hired at a big place like Bend. But then they're told they're going to work on a remake for some other studio's near decade old IP? What a message to send to those developers, about how little they're valued and what leaderships thinks they're capable of contributing creatively.

Stooky

Funding what?

San Diego...multiplat

What a joke. Sony delivered all of PS4 gen. We're 4 months into PS5 gen, and there is all this doom and gloom talk about Sony. Sony has always delivered on their promises, They made a great system and the 1st party games are coming.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

COVID could have caused some big delays for games releasing in 2022. I wouldn't judge their PS5 output until E3 2022. That gives them a bit extra time to polish stuff that may otherwise not be ready.

i'm fully prepared for Sony only showing exactly what you described this year...
you wouldnt be disappointed if the only game ND shows up with his a PS4 factions and a PS4 TLOU remake?

the game already got a huge downgrade when it came to the enemy character faces. the motion matching wasnt as good as the trailer either. and the environmental interaction was toned down heavily. i was hoping they would put all that back in the ps5 upgrade now that they have extra horsepower but nope, they are still making it a ps4 game.

maxresdefault.jpg

this is what i wanted a ps5 tlou to look like. this was their cg tv spot. its devastating that we wont get anything like this for another 3-5 years from ND.

CBcHhna.gif

you wouldnt be disappointed if the only game ND shows up with his a PS4 factions and a PS4 TLOU remake?

the game already got a huge downgrade when it came to the enemy character faces. the motion matching wasnt as good as the trailer either. and the environmental interaction was toned down heavily. i was hoping they would put all that back in the ps5 upgrade now that they have extra horsepower but nope, they are still making it a ps4 game.

maxresdefault.jpg

this is what i wanted a ps5 tlou to look like. this was their cg tv spot. its devastating that we wont get anything like this for another 3-5 years from ND.

CBcHhna.gif

ND just released TLOU2, so I don’t have high expectations for them to show much of anything

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Available now;

• Demon's Souls
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Destruction All-stars
  • Oddworld Soulstorm
  • Bugsnax
  • The Pathless

• Returnal
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Little Devil Inside
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • Praey for the Gods
  • Season
  • Solar Ash
  • Stray

Play at Home:

• The Witness
  • Abzu
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Subnautica
  • Moss (VR)
  • Thumper (VR)
  • Paper Beast (VR)
PS Plus:

• Days Gone

So good PS Plus has been lately, the Play at Home scheme, PS Plus Collection, the quality of the hardware, the DualSense, full PS4 BC etc. Now PSVR 2 was recently announced, controllers are being showed, Returnal is coming out soon

Lots of them are list fillers. Really, Bugsnak, Destruction All Stars, Oddworld, Stray, The Pathless, Season and Goodbye Volcano High? These are B to C tier titles.

Yeah, they should have told them to shove it!

'Find someone who can do it as well as we did' is what should have been said.

Now we have a Sony studio game for free on Xbox and asking 60 or 70 for PS gamers.... and a studio that is no longer making exclusives.
Tell you what then fling your CV into Sony and go for Jim's job lol it's getting ridiculous these threads about Sony doom, how about we all see what happens in the future instead of all the hypobolic crap then we can talk but for now though Sony are the most profitable they've ever been aren't they ? .

SlimySnake

Available now;

• Demon's Souls
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Destruction All-stars
  • Oddworld Soulstorm
  • Bugsnax
  • The Pathless

• Returnal
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Little Devil Inside
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • Praey for the Gods
  • Season
  • Solar Ash
  • Stray
i love list wars but man you cant include trash like bugsnax when boasting about games. besides, 99% of those games are either last gen or on pc or both. why even list them as PS5 games?

Let's take a look at real PS5 games that Jim ryan has put out for people who dropped half a grand on a ps5.

1) Demon Souls
2) Returnal
3) Ratchet

I am not gonna list Horizon because its definitely getting delayed and its on the PS4 anyway. If we are to compare this list to what they had for the PS3, its not even close.

1) Resistance
2) Motorstorm
3) Heavenly Sword
4) Warhawk
5) Ratchet
6) Uncharted

And thats just the big games. they had a lot of trash like Lair, calling all cars, folklore, super stardust that im not gonna bother counting because they are just throwaway games like stray, pathless and bugsnax that only belong on the shit games lists. did not even include gow 2 which actually launched on the ps2 in march 2007.

Sony is way more profitable than they were at this point in the ps2 generation. and yet they are literally going in with half the number of games they released in the first year of ps3.

i love list wars but man you cant include trash like bugsnax when boasting about games. besides, 99% of those games are either last gen or on pc or both. why even list them as PS5 games?

Let's take a look at real PS5 games that Jim ryan has put out for people who dropped half a grand on a ps5.

1) Demon Souls
2) Returnal
3) Ratchet

I am not gonna list Horizon because its definitely getting delayed and its on the PS4 anyway. If we are to compare this list to what they had for the PS3, its not even close.

1) Resistance
2) Motorstorm
3) Heavenly Sword
4) Warhawk
5) Ratchet
6) Uncharted

And thats just the big games. they had a lot of trash like Lair, calling all cars, folklore, super stardust that im not gonna bother counting because they are just throwaway games like stray, pathless and bugsnax that only belong on the shit games lists. did not even include gow 2 which actually launched on the ps2 in march 2007.

Sony is way more profitable than they were at this point in the ps2 generation. and yet they are literally going in with half the number of games they released in the first year of ps3.

not really fair to not list cross gen

it’s a practicality of increasing dev costs now versus ps3 era

Last edited:

1) Demon Souls
2) Returnal
3) Ratchet

1) Resistance
2) Motorstorm
3) Heavenly Sword
4) Warhawk
5) Ratchet
6) Uncharted

I would love another Warhawk type game...but with large scale mp

SlimySnake

not really fair to not list cross gen

it’s a practicality of increasing dev costs now versus ps3 era
their profits have gone up exponentially since the ps3 era. this is back when they were losing billions every year. iirc, they lost around $4 billion in the first two years of playstation 3 and that amounted to all of the profits they had earned during the ps1 and ps2 era.

nowadays they make $2 billion in profits every quarter. last year, sony posted $10 billion in profits. surely they can afford a few $50 million games.

their profits have gone up exponentially since the ps3 era. this is back when they were losing billions every year. iirc, they lost around $4 billion in the first two years of playstation 3 and that amounted to all of the profits they had earned during the ps1 and ps2 era.

nowadays they make $2 billion in profits every quarter. last year, sony posted $10 billion in profits. surely they can afford a few $50 million games.

the losing billions strategy will never happen again, it’s dead

PlayStation is a much larger portion of Sony’s business now versus then

Microsoft can afford to lose billions because they are the opposite. They’re doing that right now with gamepass

Top Bottom