• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Sony’s Obsession With Blockbusters Is Stirring Unrest Within PlayStation Empire

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Sega is the answer.... a massive back-catalog of games that can be used as Indies, like Sonic 2d games, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage, Shinobi which can all have modern versions made for cheap.

Then they would have Persona, Shin Megami Tensei and Yakuza as exclusives forever.... could do cool things like add Shuhei and other execs to Yakuza.

Other games like Bayonetta, Football Manager, Super Monkey Ball etc would be very well received by PS audience.

Virtua Fighter would be great for EVO

The for VR..... Ecco the Dolphin and all the House of the Dead shooting gallery games could be brought to PSVR2.

It's an all in one solution basically.
That would be interesting. I do think Sony studios are very one dimensional at the moment. Branching out a bit from the same type of AAA game a bit couldn't hurt. Xbox could have been accused as being one dimensional as well with FPS type games, but recently they have shown a commitment to other genres.

Last edited:

rolandss

It seems like such a weird choice for Naughty Dog to remake a game that just had a sequel and was itself remastered for PS4. It’s probably just a 4K, FPS boost and texture pack that won’t take a a lot of internal resources. Hope they’re working on something new cos frankly as much as I like Uncharted it’s feeling stale, the TLOU isn’t a franchise I care a whole lot about.

If anything the success of Ghost of Tsushima showed players are hungry for new single player IP, so Sony should be doubling down on giving us more of them.

Zeroing

Banned
I would like a The Last of Us: Remake :)
Why Remake when you could have:

The Last of Us: ChaosMotorstorm
The Last of Us: Zombie fighter
The Last of Us: Daddy zombie simulator

I am sure if the Last of Us were make by any other gaming company, we would had all those titles by now.

Last edited:

Yoboman

This is just a sample of what is wrong with the AAA industry:
Uncharted sequel
Last of Us (2nd remaster)
Days Gone 2 (people want it....won't happen)
Miles Morales (Spiderman DLC....sort of)
Ratchet and Clank sequel
Astrobot sequel
Sackboy offshoot
God of War sequel
Horizon Zero Dawn sequel
Demons Souls remake

see a pattern?.....the games industry is in a tailspin. Need new IP's soon
They just released Ghost of Tsushima and Dreams last year, Returnal is out in a few weeks

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
What issue? If people buy these games and they keep making sequences that people love what's wrong?
You need new IP's, new blood. Some of the most beloved games are new IP's. Same for movies. Some are fine but when 75-90% are remakes, ports, remasters, sequels, spin-offs etc.....then the industry will stagnate and may not die but will not be very exciting or fun. Just look at the releases over the last 2 years and it is terrible. Very little in the way of new IP's for AAA games. Some good indies but that's it.

rolandss

The article explains it pretty well. They wanted to do an Uncharted remake but it was too big a job with no budget, so they pivoted to TLOU because it was easy to bring it up to PS5 standard without majorly changing the gameplay. They hoped that would egt them enough clout to move back to Uncharted.
This remake shit needs to die. I have no interest in replaying games and stories I played already. I want freshness.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
They just released Ghost of Tsushima and Dreams last year, Returnal is out in a few weeks
Dreams was good (I own it, as I do Ghosts) but no one cared about that unfortunately. Ghosts was the one true great new IP. If we could only get more great new IP's, that would allow for great sequels along with new IP's. Keeps everything fresh.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You need new IP's, new blood. Some of the most beloved games are new IP's. Same for movies. Some are fine but when 75-90% are remakes, ports, remasters, sequels, spin-offs etc.....then the industry will stagnate and may not die but will not be very exciting or fun. Just look at the releases over the last 2 years and it is terrible. Very little in the way of new IP's for AAA games. Some good indies but that's it.
Depends on the gamer.

COD, popular F2P games, FIFA, GTA, all those PC MOBA or legacy shooters seem to hum along fine every year with repetitive editions.

Sounds crazy, but IMO if 80-90% of the games got chopped on consoles and Steam leaving only the bigger name popular games that people buy or do mtx, I don't think the avg gamer would care, nor would the industry crash.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Figures they'd go back to the first game to earn some good will after poisoning the well with the sequel.

Just move on though. The games aren't that great. Do something new!

Druckman, you're like WWF when they talk about WCW, you just can't get over TLOU1 being better... Watch this align Joel's character in TLOU1 with that of TLOU2.

XFqHtXE.jpg

thelastword

Banned
Well Sony is doing big games but still doing indies, vr, play-link titles and of course unique genres......Imagine if Sony was not here.....There would be no Gravity Rush, no Until Dawn, no Death Stranding, No Detroit, no Astrobot, no Blood and Truth and none of the quirky play-link games.....The fact is, Sony is covering all bases relative to variety.....They've been doing it for four generations....

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I was expecting something much worse reading the title but after reading the article it's whole bunch of nothing-burger.

It's not even an article. It's a NeoGAF post (sorry GAF) with a couple of ridiculously small snippets of quotes that paint the picture Shreier wants to paint.

Small projects get shifted to other teams all the time. Games get cancelled all the time. A company of 10,000+ people always has a few employees who are worried about the direction of the company.

Swap a few names and this could be about Microsoft, Nintendo, EA, Ubisoft etc...

Nothingburger indeed.

ZehDon

Gold Member
When they started talking about the HBO TLOU series back in January I said this:
... I have zero interest here because the game did little for me, and Bruce Straley isn't involved. It was Straley who pushed to transform Druckmann's original ultra-violent grim-dark story into the story people ultimately connected with. The irony, of course, being that the moment Straley left, Druckmann went back to the original grim-dark plot that Straley didn't like, and it pushed away about half the audience. With Druckmann now left to his own devices, I half-expect he'll re-imagine the The Last of Us Part 1's story to be closer to the original version that Straley didn't like.
It never occurred to me at the time that Naughty Dog would go back to source material. The only reason I could see to remake The Last of Us so soon is to change it - and as I said above, I don't think Druckmann is looking to change it for the better. The optimist in me wants to believe it's just to bring the game up to modern standards so it can live on; the cynic in me thinks it's to try and salvage The Last of Us 2's mixed reception by making the first game fall inline and back it up. Druckmann's co-president of Naughty Dog now; if he wants to George Lucas the fuck out of The Last of Us, I doubt anyone could stop him.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm hearing this forever. There's plenty of new titles across the board. This generation are a bunch of whinners. Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, Days Gone, Dreams, new vr games...

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You think the new _______ game will have highlighted ledges and narrow passages to shimmy through and bad controls?
Now that I've removed the name of the game from your post, it makes it harder for one to know if you're talking about an Ubisoft game, EA game, Nintendo game, or Sony game. Enjoy.

Zok310

Banned
End of the day great games from PS gonna come. DG2 possibly being benched sucks but if the folks that helmed the studio are gone then let the folks that stayed behind start new.

As for tlou remake, if it’s bundled with tlou2 and factions for PS5 plus the HBO tie in, ok. But after that please move on from tlou.

fvng

this is sad i was mostly a fan of their smaller teams like japan studio and team ico for stuff like sotc, siren, gravity rush, tokyo jungle, etc.. i would take 10 excellent smaller games instead of one mega blockbuster game

MagnesG

Banned
Now that I've removed the name of the game from your post, it makes it harder for one to know if you're talking about an Ubisoft game, EA game, Nintendo game, or Sony game. Enjoy.
Lol we all know which one he's referring to. That game immediately comes to mind.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
this is sad i was mostly a fan of their smaller teams like japan studio and team ico for stuff like sotc, siren, gravity rush, tokyo jungle, etc.. i would take 10 excellent smaller games instead of one mega blockbuster game
Yup.

Best combo is a a mix of big budget games and smaller budget time fillers.

Eric187

Banned
As much as I hate to admit it I’d probably buy it again. It would be pretty neat to have last of us 1 and 2 as one full game but I know that’s not going to happen. Maybe this will release sooner to tie in before last of us 3.

Eric187

Banned
Never thought Sony would return to the dark ages but I guess it’s true. But they have a huge ace in the hole and we’re gonna find out about it probably later this year or next. GTA6 PS5 exclusive for at least 6 months. And I’ll take anybody who wants to bet with me on that one.

Fake

$70 remake of a game that isn’t that old and was remastered on PS4 recently already. Is this really what people want?

I asked for Bloodborne PS5 version. Not even asking a remaster, but just a patch to unlock framerate. And thats what we get. Remake of a game that don't need a remake.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I asked for Bloodborne PS5 version. Not even asking a remaster, but just a patch to unlock framerate. And thats what we get. Remake of a game that don't need a remake.
I just beat Bloodborne recently. Usually patches that improve games release right after I beat and am done with them. You’ll probably get a patch soon.

I find the claim that "Sony is interested only in AAA games and no longer care about indies/smaller tittles" a bit weird, since they recently backed:

-Fall Guys
-Returnal
-Oddworld Soulstorm
-Pathless
-The Console port of Disco Elysium

All of those are indies and smaller tittles that Sony helped produce
I think "backed" and "developed" are two very different things though. It does seem like they are pushing their own studios to produce blockbuster type games only, and are filling out the AA and indies by partnering or doing timed exclusives.

The “remake” will be the exact same game, ported over to PS5 with the title, “The Last of Us: Part 1.” Mark my words.

Was this the big article that Jaffe guy was talking about? Seems lackluster. I was expecting more drama.

Pantz

Will the Remake feature a one winged Abby interacting with the party a lot sooner than in the original?

Alex Scott

That would be interesting. I do think Sony studios are very one dimensional at the moment. Branching out a bit from the same type of AAA game a bit couldn't hurt. Xbox could have been accused as being one dimensional as well with FPS type games, but recently they have shown a commitment to other genres.
As long as SIE doesn't have any control over them.

Kumomeme

so they prefer focus on existing succesfull title than keep giving new team and new ip a chances, unlike before.

even first uncharted not a huge success but they nailed on the sequel. they should give Days Gone 2 a go.

also sounds like Naughty Dog become their main priority. wonder why need to remake first TLOU. because of the live action tv series perhaps?

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Seriously, I'm not calling the drama here, but man, putting sales aside has been TERRIBLE months for Playstation, and the repercussions of this, are going to be enormous in the future.

Nubulax

This remake shit needs to die. I have no interest in replaying games and stories I played already. I want freshness.

Nah its ok ... I loved FF7 remake and that was just in midgar from the original and that was on a base PS4... will def play it again when I get a PS5 before the 2nd part comes out

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I'm hearing this forever. There's plenty of new titles across the board. This generation are a bunch of whinners. Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, Days Gone, Dreams, new vr games...
Uh, Bloodborne was 6 years ago. VR doesn't move the needle, Days Gone and Dreams were underperforming. Again, this isn't a Sony only issue but industry-wide. Gamers flock to sequels and rehashes, ports etc....that is great for the publishers but eventually the gamers will move on and something else will need to take hold. Sequels are fine if there are new IP's to make sequels of.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Uh, Bloodborne was 6 years ago. VR doesn't move the needle, Days Gone and Dreams were underperforming. Again, this isn't a Sony only issue but industry-wide. Gamers flock to sequels and rehashes, ports etc....that is great for the publishers but eventually the gamers will move on and something else will need to take hold. Sequels are fine if there are new IP's to make sequels of.
"Dreams were underperforming"

Thats why Jim prefers remake lol : D

Top Bottom