• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is PS5 GPU is slightly better than gtx 1080 thats pretty pathetic.

Tqaulity

That can't be. Those cards can't play games in native 4k.
They absolutely can! People often make the mistake of looking at GPU performance in a vacuum when in fact it depends on a lot of factors. Hell the PS3 can render games at native 4K IF the game's complexity was simple enough.

Everyone always acts like Ultra settings and 60fps is everything when comparing to PC but it's NOT. There is so much performance wasted when running a modern game on MAX settings (even devs don't develop or test with max settings for a title). Consoles being more optimized and closed allows developers to hone in on unique and custom visual settings that will run well on the target hardware. Virtually 90% of the time those settings are much lower than ultra on PC (oftentimes for good reason).

So if you turned down the settings and accepted a 30fps target, a 1660/580 GPU can run a large number of games at native 4K.

DragonNCM

I agree with you, the problem is the gpu will be AMD and AMD is far behind Nvidia regarding gpus, different story for cpus though. Next Playstation imho should be 2080ti level of performance only gpuwise

Hmm....500$ only gpu compared to 500$ console & you want same price point ?

Bkdk

Most people won’t buy 1k Usd console. The ones that are willing to spend the big money are all pc gamers, so Sony did this to make it a 3-4 year cycle and they will just release ps5 pro and bring in the 1k revenue by selling slightly older tech at a shorter timeframe. That’s why I’ll just build a high end pc around 2021 and will buy consoles only if they have really convincing exclusives.

Keihart

Can we imagine if the PS5 came out tomorrow with a GTX1080? how freaking amazing that would be?
Almost 90% of Gaming PCs would be instantly outdated not being able to run current games on medium.
VR with a target spec of that VGA would be pretty amazing as well.
kinda funny to think of, "the horror of PS5 having a GTX 1080 in 2020" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The 6TFLOP Xbox One X is doing a bang up job hitting 4K. Why can’t an 8TFLOP machine handle it? Also consider that a desktop GPU has other hurdles to maneuver through, console games are optimized solely for gaming.
Because a beefed up machine with more ram, more TFs and a better cpu will use that power for shit like ultra ray tracing and hair physics.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can we imagine if the PS5 came out tomorrow with a GTX1080? how freaking amazing that would be?
Almost 90% of Gaming PCs would be instantly outdated not being able to run current games on medium.
VR with a target spec of that VGA would be pretty amazing as well.
kinda funny to think of, "the horror of PS5 having a GTX 10180 in 2020" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Ya.

People compare consoles to the high end PC rigs, which only a small number of PC gamers own.

Compared to a PC player with an average computer, console performance is pretty good and simple to use.

It's like every PC gamer thinks every car out there is crap because he claims to drive a new 2019 Audi A8. Ok, maybe he does. But the average driver probably has 6 year old base model Toyota Camry. And a bunch of drivers get by on 10 year old Corollas.

Justin9mm

the 1080 was release 3 years ago in 2016. while it was 500 Dollars. it was still 3 damn years ago. that would make the console just like last gen, outdated on release day. am not expecting it to be as good as a current gen PC GPU at the high end. but giving us hardware thats maxed out on day one doesn't leave too much of a good taste in my mouth

am just using some of the leaks here that might not be true. 1080 performance is nothing to write home about. 1080 TI perf in 2020? yeah . that would be 4 years after these cards came out. thats pretty reasonable isn't it?.

hell even PS4 wasn't worse than a 2009 GPU.
Is this a troll argument? There is a lot more to performance than just the GPU. Optimisation is first and foremost one of the most important factors. Look at the GPU in the Pro and X which can do Native/Dynamic 4K.

What are you expecting, a 2080Ti with a console price of sub $500..? Some people's expectations are ridiculous!

Is this a troll argument? There is a lot more to performance than just the GPU. Optimisation is first and foremost one of the most important factors. Look at the GPU in the Pro and X which can do Native/Dynamic 4K.

What are you expecting, a 2080Ti with a console price of sub $500..? Some people's expectations are ridiculous!

dont even start these arguments with me. am not gonna create a long boring post but lets just leave it at the fact that I have a bachelor in computer engineering and a 2 year degree at CS.

scalman

Noone compares console power to pc like that its stupid. 1080 can max most games on pc to thos day still they wont look as good on pc as days gone horizon or other ps4 exclusives so 1080 cant even win against ps4 here. Because gpu means nothing

Last edited:

GenericUser

Just wait and see. So far, Sony has never released a new console that wasn't able to deliver impressive looking games. We're still 1.5 years away from the PS5, so just wait and see how things unfold I'd say.

Boss Mog

OP doesn't even seem to have the most basic of knowledge about developing games for unique hardware as opposed to developing for a broad range of hardware.

Dontero

Banned
that doesn't refute my point. am fairly sure you are not understanding how logic works

You point : There were better 700$ gpus out there at the time ! Why consoles didn't have those !!!!
His point : Because consoles are about price to performance ratio not about absolute best hardware. No one is going to buy expensive console
Your point : Your logic sucks !

People are right at the time PS4 gpu was the best GPU any console manufacturer could use. R2xx line only just launched so unless you were willing to wait another year or two to redesign whole console you would never ever get it on PS4 in that timeframe.
Let alone 5tflop one. At best you would be looking at 3TF.

dont even start these arguments with me. am not gonna create a long boring post but lets just leave it at the fact that I have a bachelor in computer engineering and a 2 year degree at CS.

I saw plenty engineers in my time who couldn't do basic stuff. It is clear that computer hardware is one of those for you.

Last edited:

Komatsu

A game coded to the metal that can take full advantage of a GPU is going to give several generations better performance than the PC counterpart.

Though there are undeniable advantages to working on a platform with pre-defined specs when it comes to optimization, nobody “codes to the metal” in 2019, this is simply not a thing.

On PCs, people can make use of backends such as Vulkan, OpenGL or DirectX to do something like perform a call, and the corresponding drivers then take that information to a command buffer, which is then leveraged by the GPU. As for consoles, trusted developers are often allowed to work straight on the gfx buffer, but that’s not really “coding to the metal”.

mcz117chief

They absolutely can! People often make the mistake of looking at GPU performance in a vacuum when in fact it depends on a lot of factors. Hell the PS3 can render games at native 4K IF the game's complexity was simple enough.
Wasn't it Okami that ran at 4k on PS3?

pawel86ck

Banned
GPU's starting to stagnate like CPU's, so even old GTX 1080 is still very capable in games, and it will be even faster in console space.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Not bad to be honest.

A 2080 is currently the second most powerful gaming GPU and it's about on par with a 1080 Ti. The next card down is a 1080 which is close to a 2070.

Yes the 1080 came out 3 years ago but it's still a very capable card. If PS4 can perform the same then it'll be a significant upgrade.

Last edited:
Going by leaked and rumoured specs, the PS5 GPU is closer to a 1080TI than a 1080.

A 1080TI is able to run quite a lot of PC games at over 60fps in 4k, a lot more at 60fps in 1440p, and pretty much everything recent at close to 100fps at 1080p. That's decent enough for console owners like myself. According to some, the 1080TI is also pegged at over 11TF. I'd be more than happy with all that, myself.

Adding to that, if the PS5 comes with 16GB RAM for application development, a dev could allocate 8GB RAM solely to the GPU and have 8GB for game data.

Also, the PS5 will be a fixed system, allowing developers to get very close to the metal. So, if the GPU really is up to 1080TI levels expect a great deal of titles to run at 60fps in 4K. Don't forget that consoles also have lots of dedicated hardware for all sorts of little tricks.

Horizon: Zero Dawn 2 at 60fps in 4K, with an element of raytracing? No one would be calling that pathetic.

the 1080 was release 3 years ago in 2016. while it was 500 Dollars. it was still 3 damn years ago. that would make the console just like last gen, outdated on release day. am not expecting it to be as good as a current gen PC GPU at the high end. but giving us hardware thats maxed out on day one doesn't leave too much of a good taste in my mouth

am just using some of the leaks here that might not be true. 1080 performance is nothing to write home about. 1080 TI perf in 2020? yeah . that would be 4 years after these cards came out. thats pretty reasonable isn't it?.

hell even PS4 wasn't worse than a 2009 GPU.
I've said it and saying it again a next gen console has to have 16x more memory meaning ps5 should be 128gb and the processing power should be at least 10x if its not on that level then it isn't a next gen console were gonna get a PS4 pro 2! Same assets as PS4 same graphics but just faster loading raytraced and real 4k but they'll still be PS4 games

Orta

Banned
An expertly optimized console game with a 1080-esque gpu will look and run a lot better than the pc alternative.

Vorg

Banned
An expertly optimized console game with a 1080-esque gpu will look and run a lot better than the pc alternative.

Depends on what you mean with "run better". If they keep prioritizing higher resolutions, geometry and effects instead of higher framerates, it will not run better in any way. 4k at 30 fps is a joke, tbqh.

//DEVIL//

Going by leaked and rumoured specs, the PS5 GPU is closer to a 1080TI than a 1080.

A 1080TI is able to run quite a lot of PC games at over 60fps in 4k, a lot more at 60fps in 1440p, and pretty much everything recent at close to 100fps at 1080p. That's decent enough for console owners like myself. According to some, the 1080TI is also pegged at over 11TF. I'd be more than happy with all that, myself.

first of all the 1080ti can run all games at 2k 60 fps lol. even the horribly codded Anthem. and it run 90% of the existing games in the world at 4k 60 fps outside few games here and there at ultra settings. lower it to high settings and u got ur self a lock 60 fps. the 1080ti is a beast.

also, where is this rumor coming from ? does anyone have a link ?

Bryank75

Banned
If it has the raw power of a 1080 but then gets optimized, as consoles do. Then add hardware-based Raytracing, that isn't pulling down the processors, the new CPU, and the high-speed loading......

All of that combined with new operating systems and software features, I really think it will be exciting.

We don't even know if that is as far as the innovation goes but having super-fast loading as standard is going to make PlayStation games fundamentally better than anywhere else that doesn't have it as standard.

I am also hoping that there is a 1080p mode with 60fps+ performance and some field of view options. For shooters specifically. You can already do FOV on Apex Legends for instance.

Tesseract

Banned
dunno what people are smoking when they say no pc outperformed ps2 at launch

friendly reminder half-life came out in 1998

More than raw numbers (TF and such metrics), it's important to know what hardware features the new consoles will have, such as raytracing, to name one.

A modern gpu with similar TF output of a gtx1080 would be a great jump, especially so when coupled with more, faster ram and a big jump in cpu power.

The new consoles will be fine.

I mean, look at what the base ps4 was able to achieve in games such as Uncharted 4, Horizon or God of War. And that's on a pretty awful SoC.

And of course, pc hardware is and will be miles ahead. That's just how things work. It's not that Sony and Ms can't produce a better box, it's just that consumers don't want to spend 7/800 dollars on a console.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
sP1ZD7H.png

Holammer

I doubt it'll be able to deliver performance similar to a 1080 paired with a suitable CPU.
The PS5 CPU/APU will be under-clocked to the point were the cheap ass "built by the lowest bidder" fan that cools it can stop it from bursting into flames or make the console take off like a futuristic helicopter.

Will it be a nice console? Absolutely, just have some realistic expectations.

//DEVIL//

apples and oranges comparison, and dont forget about RT.
apple and oranges was back in the day when console were specific custom built. ever since the PS4 and Xbox one and they are apples to apples.

only difference is talent of developers sony has in their studios.

as for ray tracing, it needs to be seen if its software implementation or there are turing cores, if its the later then good, if the first then lol hello 20 fps games

Top Bottom