• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

awp69

Lost Within by Human Head Studios (Prey) is out today on iOS:
https://appsto.re/us/MUCB6.i

Definitely need to keep this one on my radar. Got a lot on my plate and no room for it, but it does look nice. And Prey was one of my favorite 360 games(although this looks nothing like it).

It's been great to see a lot of premium games lately.

I did pick up Spellcrafter last night. Decent turn-based RPG with a "draw the spell" gimmicks. Will see if it develops more, but at least what I've played has been pretty weak on story. Certainly more on the casual side of the spectrum.

Definitely need to keep this one on my radar. Got a lot on my plate and no room for it, but it does look nice. And Prey was one of my favorite 360 games(although this looks nothing like it).

Yeah, I was surprised to see that Caves N Chasms was premium too.

Ghostoflies

Neo Member

I did pick up Spellcrafter last night. Decent turn-based RPG with a "draw the spell" gimmicks. Will see if it develops more, but at least what I've played has been pretty weak on story. Certainly more on the casual side of the spectrum.

Yeah I am really torn on purchasing as I have so many games on my plate...

awp69

Woah...big surprise release. Microsoft just released a premium Halo game on iOS!

Looks like a top down shooter (with vehicle segments) and it at least LOOKS good.

EDIT: Killercow beat me to it.

killercow

is this the one that's been on Windows phone for a while?

Yup and the first one and its sequel. Also available on PC through the windows 8 store.

You can buy them together for a reduced price (on iOS).

Woah...big surprise release. Microsoft just released a premium Halo game on iOS!

Looks like a top down shooter (with vehicle segments) and it at least LOOKS good.

EDIT: Killercow near me to it.

Ahahah one minute ;)

I was surprised that the appstore twitter was the place they chose to announce it.

awp69

is this the one that's been on Windows phone for a while?

To my knowledge it hasn't been released on Windows phone yet. Spartan Assault (this is kind of a sequel) was. And at least what I'm seeing, this looks like it could be a big improvement over that.

awp69

It doesn't seem to be in the US Windows store. I don't know. All I can really find was that it was to be released in Q1 2015 on PC and Windows phones (didn't see even mention of an iOS version).

I played Spartan Assault and it was just OK. But this does look like it has the possibility of being much better.

Edit: Yeah, was just looking at the dev's forums and the latest posts are still asking when it is going to be released. Kind of shocking if it was released on iOS first. (Strike)

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/34747d25bda64bca8b599becfeb59ed0/topics

killercow

It doesn't seem to be in the US Windows store. I don't know. All I can really find was that it was to be released in Q1 2015 on PC and Windows phones (didn't see even mention of an iOS version).

I played Spartan Assault and it was just OK. But this does look like it has the possibility of being much better.

Yeah, was just looking at the dev's forums and the latest posts are still asking when it is going to be released. Kind of shocking if it was released on iOS first. (Strike)

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/34747d25bda64bca8b599becfeb59ed0/topics

It's weird because I can find it in the US store through that URL. The windows store is so messy it's not even funny... And there are no reviews of the game online at all.

awp69

It's weird because I can find it in the US store through that URL. The windows store is so messy it's not even funny... And there are no reviews of the game online at all.

Looks like it may have been soft launched on the Malta store. That link is giving me a different currency and most of the text is not in English.

Strange how little concrete info there is on it other than being pushed back to Q1 2015. Maybe it's a simultaneous release with WP.

awp69

Ah, that one works. I see it has just 9 reviews on the Windows store and seeing how that other forum still didn't know of a release date, I suspect this is a simultaneous release.

Very surprised to see this on iOS -- especially if the WP version is coming out today as well. You would think that MS would have at least wanted to keep it WP exclusive for a period. Then again, I don't think WPs are doing all that great sales wise.

Think I'm going to bite on Strike.

killercow

Ah, that one works. I see it has just 9 reviews on the Windows store and seeing how that other forum still didn't know of a release date, I suspect this is a simultaneous release.

Very surprised to see this on iOS -- especially if the WP version is coming out today as well. You would think that MS would have at least wanted to keep it WP exclusive for a period. Then again, I don't think WPs are doing all that great sales wise.

Well with the whole "Office" thing and everything, I'm not too surprised at Microsoft's strategy anymore. It just doesn't make any sense.

PittaGAF

Surprised too...and it actually looks pretty cool for a dual stick shooter...I can use some action games right now (was debating about Implosion but maybe this is more my kind of game).
I also like the Halo franchise.

Waiting for some impressions!

awp69

BTW, I'm pretty sure both of these games have completely separate storylines so I don't think it matters which one you play first.

TBH, I never even finished Assault on X1 but Strike looks really nice so kind of hoping it's a step up.

Also, looks like the "Complete My Bundle" works with these (really annoying how some devs seem to block it). So if you buy one, you can still get the discount from the bundle ($4 for the second game).

awp69

Just finished the first mission in Strike. I think I can say, at least this early in the game that it seems like it will be better than Assault.

Graphics are outstanding and it's overall very immersive in the Halo galaxy.

My only gripe so far is that the movement controls feel kind of wonky. The shooting stick is fine. Maybe some more time will make me feel better about movement.

JCho133

Just finished the first mission in Strike. I think I can say, at least this early in the game that it seems like it will be better than Assault.

Graphics are outstanding and it's overall very immersive in the Halo galaxy.

My only gripe so far is that the movement controls feel kind of wonky. The shooting stick is fine. Maybe some more time will make me feel better about movement.

What makes it seem better? More variety?

awp69

What makes it seem better? More variety?

You know what. Scratch what I said. Just played a few minutes of Assault on XB1. They are pretty similar and can't say this early on which one is "better".

I think one reason I had trouble getting into the X1 version on Assault is partly because everything seems so small playing on a big screen. While the production values were good, looking back on it, it seemed like a better fit for mobile.

Now, almost sure I'm going to grab Assault on iOS as well. The scale of the game probably is what makes playing on mobile feel more immersive in a way that I didn't get on console.

The stick controls for movement ARE much better on console for Assault. So that remains my main concern for these.

awp69

My inner geekdom is shining through today. Between these Halo games and the Star Wars trailer, it can't be helped.

"Chewie, we're home."

Ahhh....

fushi

My mother has an iPad and she is looking for simple, intuitive, logic-based or pattern-based puzzle games. I have played some Drop7 on my android phone and from this thread I have picked up Threes and rop. Anyone else have any good suggestions or better yet, a list?

She also enjoys stuff like sudoku and picross, so any recommendations in that vein would also be good, i.e. some advanced versions of Sudoku, best version of Slitherlink, etc.

killercow

My mother has an iPad and she is looking for simple, intuitive, logic-based or pattern-based puzzle games. I have played some Drop7 on my android phone and from this thread I have picked up Threes and rop. Anyone else have any good suggestions or better yet, a list?

She also enjoys stuff like sudoku and picross, so any recommendations in that vein would also be good, i.e. some advanced versions of Sudoku, best version of Slitherlink, etc.

If she enjoys Picross:

Paint it Back - https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/paint-it-back/id675183907?mt=8

Paint It Back
0h h1
Dwelp
Zengrams
Kami
Bicolor
Blip Blup
LYNE
Strata
Hueron
Color Lines!
Joinz
Folt

awp69

Woah, has anyone seen this? Featured on the US store

Tiny Guardians by Kurechii
https://appsto.re/us/8lpq1.i

Would post a screen from the description but I'm on my phone

Dang, this looks really cool too

Must Deliver by cherrypick games
https://appsto.re/us/fL1q5.i

Lots of good games this week!

Here's a review of Tiny Guardians on PG:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Tiny+Guardians/review.asp?c=64873

Despite it's look and use of actual characters rather than towers, it still sounds like a relatively standard TD game. Still got a Bronze Award though.

I was torn between it and Spellcrafter. Chose Spellcrafter, which I regret getting because it just doesn't have as much depth as I had hoped and is buggy.

If I had known about the Halo releases, I probably wouldn't have gotten either. Must Deliver does look like it could be promising though.

Anyone play Pursuit of Light? It's Apple's App of the Week and looks good. Don't remember hearing of it before.

Damn, no more Spiderweb RPGs for IOS :(
After several years of good time, we at Spiderweb have come to the sad conclusion that we can no longer develop new games for the iPad. The iPad titles currently on iTunes will still be available as long as we are able to support them. As soon as Apple makes changes that makes it impossible to support them, they will be removed.

There are a few reasons for this decision.

1. Competition on the App Store has risen to a frenzied level. As a result, sales for our games has dropped massively and the cost of advertising them has shot through the roof.

2. Changes in iOS 8.3 completely broke the engine we have been using for the last several years. To continue development would requiring licensing and learning a whole new engine, and the low potential earnings just doesn't make it worthwhile.

3. Honestly, the complexity of every single thing we do has shot up in the last few years. My brain no longer has the time and energy to deal with Apple forcing me to relearn how to program every few years. This is, of course, my failing.

We know a lot of fans will be disappointed in this decision. Believe me, we're really unhappy about it. And this may not be permanent. In a few years, we can look at the marketplace and the technical requirements and rethink things. For now, though, this is the only decision that makes sense, and we apologize to the fans we've disappointed.

Quake1028

My iOS plate is full at the moment.

Got my fill of Fairway Solitaire, Crossy Road and Quiz Clash.

Finished all 120 tracks with Golds on MX Elite.

Currently juggling Blokshot Revolution, Marvel Puzzle Quest, FRAMED and Hearthstone.

Great stuff all around. The bite size nature of iOS is really convenient for me with a 15 month old.

colinp

Banned
Crazy Spiderweb is stopping. Anyone know specifically what changes are making this happen?

To be fair though, I haven't touched a Spiderweb game since the late nineties I think. Possibly early 2000.

awp69

Damn, no more Spiderweb RPGs for IOS :(

Crazy Spiderweb is stopping. Anyone know specifically what changes are making this happen?

To be fair though, I haven't touched a Spiderweb game since the late nineties I think. Possibly early 2000.

Wonder whether they will continue to release on Android? Only mentioned iPad in the announcement so I would hope so. I picked up the first Avernum in the latest mobile Humble Bundle. Haven't had time to dig into it but what I played was enjoyable.

JCho133

Jesus, is it really that difficult for frickin Microsoft Game Studios to get movement controls right?

Spartan Strike would be so good if they weren't so wonky

awp69

Jesus, is it really that difficult for frickin Microsoft Game Studios to get movement controls right?

Spartan Strike would be so good if they weren't so wonky

Totally agree. The movement feels off.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. I have no idea how they screwed up those. When Assault came out for Windows Phone in 2013, IGN even criticized the touch controls. You would think for Strike as well as just the iOS versions they would have worked to improve them.

Just read someone over on TA mentioning to take smaller circles to move around and it's better. Going to give that a shot.

Edit: tried smaller finger movements. Didn't make much difference. What is weird is the movement control works better (slows down and not so wild) while you are shooting. But, of course, you can't constantly shoot due to ammo constraints.

JCho133

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. I have no idea how they screwed up those. When Assault came out for Windows Phone in 2013, IGN even criticized the touch controls. You would think for Strike as well as just the iOS versions they would have worked to improve them.

Just read someone over on TA mentioning to take smaller circles to move around and it's better. Going to give that a shot.

Read that as well but it's that still makes things more difficult

Jesus Christ this is a big budget studio's game for their biggest franchise. This honestly irks me so much. Doubt they'll ever fix it too

awp69

Read that as well but it's that still makes things more difficult

Jesus Christ this is a big budget studio's game for their biggest franchise. This honestly irks me so much. Doubt they'll ever fix it too

Yeah. I don't get it. A small studio like Radiangames can make pitch perfect DSS controls and Microsoft / Studio 343 can't?

Bizarre. Unless they are somehow convinced that this is what they should be like. But I can't see play testers thinking they're good.

It's still playable but would be much more enjoyable with better movement. Playing the X1 version of Assault, the controls are perfect. So I imagine a MiFi controller would be idea for the iOS versions.

JCho133

Yeah. I don't get it. A small studio like Radiangames can make pitch perfect DSS controls and Microsoft / Studio 343 can't?

Bizarre. Unless they are somehow convinced that this is what they should be like. But I can't see play testers thinking they're good.

It's still playable but would be much more enjoyable with better movement. Playing the X1 version of Assault, the controls are perfect. So I imagine a MiFi controller would be idea for the iOS versions.

Yeah, almost bought Assault for my 360 a while back but held off bc $10 seemed a bit much

Hopefully the complaints the second time around will cause them to fix the controls in an update. Or maybe they're just insane

I'll give you $20 if you buy me an MFi controller

awp69

Yeah, almost bought Assault for my 360 a while back but held off bc $10 seemed a bit much

Hopefully the complaints the second time around will cause them to fix the controls in an update. Or maybe they're just insane

I'll give you $20 if you buy me an MFi controller

I've been playing a bit more and while I still am not happy with the movement controls, for some reason, I'm still enjoying playing it more on my iPad Mini over the X1 version. I think it just seems more at home on mobile. Being right up on top of the screen, I'm appreciating the environments more and all the little details.

JCho133

^^

Yeah, absolutely feels like a game that'd be better on mobile.

On another note, Dragon Hills is absolutely spectacular. Rebel Twins make such good little endless arcade games. So visually polished and chock full of content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom