• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to pick up Implosion. Only played the first two missions but I'm impressed so far.

First thing, the controls are solid. You can seamlessly switch between melee and ranged weapons and touch controls is responsive and easy to use. The gameplay has a nice amount of depth. Besides the stats boosts you can equip and the skills you can unlock, the combat itself is satisfying and not simply "mash attack to win". Pulling off heavy attacks require timing and you can dodge enemy attacks with ease. As you level up, you can equip new weapons and augmentations

There's a nice variety of enemies so far, with mini-boss types that I only can imagine will become more prominent later. Each stage has a harder version as well as optional challenges to complete. There's also a separate Expert mode to unlock

Visually the game is great. Animations are fast and fluid, and everything from the menus to the opening cutscene and animated cinematics are polished.

Missions tend to be short, but that lends them better to replaying for new badges. I haven't died yet, but other impressions indicate that the difficulty does pick up.

All in all seems like a game that would feel at home on Vita or Steam. Voice acting, nice visuals, deep combat, and solid controls. The shorter missions seem better suited for mobile, but there's a hefty amount of content and replay value here, so I don't think length will be an issue.

awp69

Decided to pick up Implosion. Only played the first two missions but I'm impressed so far.

First thing, the controls are solid. You can seamlessly switch between melee and ranged weapons and touch controls is responsive and easy to use. The gameplay has a nice amount of depth. Besides the stats boosts you can equip and the skills you can unlock, the combat itself is satisfying and not simply "mash attack to win". Pulling off heavy attacks require timing and you can dodge enemy attacks with ease. As you level up, you can equip new weapons and augmentations

There's a nice variety of enemies so far, with mini-boss types that I only can imagine will become more prominent later. Each stage has a harder version as well as optional challenges to complete. There's also a separate Expert mode to unlock

Visually the game is great. Animations are fast and fluid, and everything from the menus to the opening cutscene and animated cinematics are polished.

Missions tend to be short, but that lends them better to replaying for new badges. I haven't died yet, but other impressions indicate that the difficulty does pick up.

All in all seems like a game that would feel at home on Vita or Steam. Voice acting, nice visuals, deep combat, and solid controls. The shorter missions seem better suited for mobile, but there's a hefty amount of content and replay value here, so I don't think length will be an issue.

I gave in as well. Pretty much agree with everything you said.

Really like that the combat feels like it has more weight to it than other games in the genre on IOS. Combos stack nicely and seems like it'll have a decent progression system as far as special attacks/skills.

I've actually only played one mission, but I'll be anxious to get further into it tonight.

awp69

Wow. Started the day with plans to try not to buy anything tonight and turned out to be an expensive, but awesome night.

Three of my favorite genres - hack n' slash (with the added bonus of a sci-fi setting), space combat and a platforming dungeon crawler.

Of course, Implosion started things out and is every bit as fantastic as I had hoped.

In the space combat/trading arena, I picked up Rogue Star. I haven't been following it but what a great retro-ish space dogfighting and trading game. Really cool, humorous tone and a kind of 60s sci-fi vibe to it with an orchestral soundtrack.

Then to wrap things up, Devious Dungeons 2, which seems to be a marked improvement over the already fun original.

Added bonus: a HUGE update to Dungeon Crawlers, a turn-based, dungeon crawler that was decent when it originally released but had some flaws such as the camera. The update is said to drastically overhaul the interface and camera and add a whole bunch of content. Haven't played it yet. But looking forward to checking it out as well.

So my PSTV ended up taking a back seat.

While I'm early into all of these releases, all are quite good -- especially Implosion and, the surprise of the bunch (for me at least), Rogue Star. Great release night and there's other games I wouldn't have minded checking out.

Matt Frost

After several weeks with almost nothing coming out I finally found a game I love: Dragon Hills.... an endless runner where you control a dragon chasing the dude who stole your stuff. The whole scenario is destructible, there are plenty of boss battles, no IAP at all and a fun core mechanic based on destruction, killing foes and having fun. Touch to dive release to jump. Upgrades to give armor, funny intro, I love this one.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/dragon-hills/id963093508?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM9_cEt-f-k

And also came out a game I beta tested before going to be published by Noodlecake, Tiltagon. I have to say that the amount of polish the publisher has given to this game is far beyond outstanding. WOW. The tilt works flawlessly and I didnt have issues like before... what a change!! Add this to a completely hard to give up game with lots of cool ideas and you have a winner. Folks, Tiltagon is the new challenge. I love it.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id975884085?mt=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIQQPKAaShI

...Frost runs to Destiny again... no IAP whatsoever.... lots of cool people... a lot of fun... PS4 FTW!!!

awp69

Frost - Thank goodness they have Dragon Hills on Android. Wanted to check it out but spent way too much last night. I have credit on Google Play and was sad to see none of my buys on Android.

Interestingly, it's freemium on Android. So I'll have to see what the situation is (downloading now). Hoping for a premium unlock.

And guys, if you like space combat / trading type games, don't ignore Rogue Star. It really is fantastic. May end up surpassing Implosion as my favorite game of the week.

Rlan

CCHAkcaUgAA3Sb6.png:large

It may not be a terribly exciting update to a lot of you, but this has been something we've been working on for Jetpack Joyride for months and months and months now. You can't imagine how much QAing you need to do to make sure nobody loses any data and if two people are playing on the same account on two devices at the same time and have it somehow still work. Madness!

But it's finally out - Jetpack Joyride now has Cloud saving. As a bonus, Android users now actually have leaderboards - so you can now finally play against your Android bretheren through Facebook!

We also made a sweet trailer for it as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyMeqSggY8E

etta

my hard graphic balls
What do you guys recommend for someone who just got an iPad (Air 2 if that matters) but does not like 99% of mobile gaming? The only games I have really liked on mobile were the Cut the Rope ones. I tried to get into Vice City, but could not. I am the kind of person that thinks that one should stick with consoles and PC for gaming, but I am getting the iPad tonight and want to test it out. I am probably getting Monument Valley because it seems like the best thing to try out the display.

What do you guys recommend for someone who just got an iPad (Air 2 if that matters) but does not like 99% of mobile gaming? The only games I have really liked on mobile were the Cut the Rope ones. I tried to get into Vice City, but could not. I am the kind of person that thinks that one should stick with consoles and PC for gaming, but I am getting the iPad tonight and want to test it out. I am probably getting Monument Valley because it seems like the best thing to try out the display.
When you say 99% of mobile gaming, I got to ask, what games have you played?

And yeah, Vice City is a really really bad example of a good game on mobile. The touch controls are pretty poor, the UI is too cluttered

Limbo, XCOM, and Banner Saga control great. And I'd call FTL and Papers Please on iPad the definite versions; they just feel at home on touch

You might find this thread helpful. I need to add a bunch of recent releases, but it's relatively up-to-date

etta

my hard graphic balls
When you say 99% of mobile gaming, I got to ask, what games have you played?

And yeah, Vice City is a really really bad example of a good game on mobile. The touch controls are pretty poor, the UI is too cluttered

Limbo, XCOM, and Banner Saga control great. And I'd call FTL and Papers Please on iPad the definite versions; they just feel at home on touch

You might find this thread helpful. I need to add a bunch of recent releases, but it's relatively up-to-date

I've tried quite a few games on iPhone and iPad over the years, I would pick from the most popular apps at the time, but I just never fully enjoyed them. Couldn't play more than 5 minutes. Cut the Rope was the only game that I fully enjoyed, that it felt like a game that belonged on mobile. Thanks for mentioning those games, I'll definitely check out Banner Saga and Papers please. Limbo and XCOM I played on PC and didn't like them.

I've tried quite a few games on iPhone and iPad over the years, I would pick from the most popular apps at the time, but I just never fully enjoyed them. Couldn't play more than 5 minutes. Cut the Rope was the only game that I fully enjoyed, that it felt like a game that belonged on mobile. Thanks for mentioning those games, I'll definitely check out Banner Saga and Papers please. Limbo and XCOM I played on PC and didn't like them.
Yeah, the stuff that usually appears at the Top-Selling/Top-Grossing list doesn't always represent the best that mobile has to offer IMO, especially if you were looking at free games

My must-play list would include
- Device 6
- Monument Valley
- Penumbear
- Sorcery 1/2 and 80 Days
- The Room 1/2
- Autumn Dynasty/Autumn Dynasty Warlords
- Waking Mars
- Out There
- World of Goo (another port that feels like it belongs on a touch screen)
- Odd Bot Out
- Hitman Go
- Bike Baron
- Hero Emblems
- Jet Car Stunts 2
- Threes
- Perfect Paths (SpaceChem is on iPad, but Perfect Paths plays better)

Oynox

CCHAkcaUgAA3Sb6.png:large

It may not be a terribly exciting update to a lot of you, but this has been something we've been working on for Jetpack Joyride for months and months and months now. You can't imagine how much QAing you need to do to make sure nobody loses any data and if two people are playing on the same account on two devices at the same time and have it somehow still work. Madness!

But it's finally out - Jetpack Joyride now has Cloud saving. As a bonus, Android users now actually have leaderboards - so you can now finally play against your Android bretheren through Facebook!

We also made a sweet trailer for it as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyMeqSggY8E

Since I lost my save with all the gadgets and vehicle magnets and many costumes, I stopped playing the game and couldn't enthuse myself to try it again (though I even bought the coin doubler...)... which is a pitty, because it is a marvelous game.

Trigonarium is really cool. Tight controls, silky smooth action, and it gets very hectic. Levels changing around you, as enemies spawn in, and your upgraded homing missile streak across the screen. I reached the first boss and promptly died. My main gribe is if you die, you need to start from the beginning again. There's a nice amount of content: arcade mode, single levels, challenges, co-op

mfiuza

Can anyone get me and code for IGN game of thrones free game? Although I usually play on an US account, I cannot get a code since im from another country -_-

0OoO0

Can anyone get me and code for IGN game of thrones free game? Although I usually play on an US account, I cannot get a code since im from another country -_-

Someone have a code for me too? I am currently travelling in Greece and it says code not available in this country. Please?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I feel so guilty that I'm not that active here but you gotta belueve me community destryed this thread way more than others. It should be allowed to stick the first few days on gaming and give people a chance to subscribe before being moved to community after the first week.

You guys (Badass?) should ask the mods, it makes sense and there are still OTs/monthly threads escaping the straight-to-community curse.

I get that we should start viditing Community often but since this thread is much less active than the baxillion of InsertFranchiseXCommunity Thread, it rarely gets to dhine on the first couple pages.

Seriously, it's already the 10th and I've just seen this thread for the first time.

Implosion, AG Drive, Radiation Island all look fantastic.
Just ordered a full set of LeafGold silent arcade buttons to mod my iCade with, can't wait for them to get here!
Still stuck waiting for the new jailbreak to come out, I fear they might wait since 8.15 since .14 is around the corner (matter of days) and .15 is said to be another hefty update so they might not wanna waste a jailbreak hack before that happens.

Edit:
Btw I just checked the op for February/ March/ April and the games highlighted are always the same with the exception of a couple titles?!
What's up with that, something happened or nothing decent came out in the last 3 months lol

Skullduggery is getting a content update next week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wwgLrs1Pmo

I feel so guilty that I'm not that active here but you gotta belueve me community destryed this thread way more than others. It should be allowed to stick the first few days on gaming and give people a chance to subscribe before being moved to community after the first week.

You guys (Badass?) should ask the mods, it makes sense and there are still OTs/monthly threads escaping the straight-to-community curse.

I get that we should start viditing Community often but since this thread is much less active than the baxillion of InsertFranchiseXCommunity Thread, it rarely gets to dhine on the first couple pages.

Seriously, it's already the 10th and I've just seen this thread for the first time.

Just ordered a full set of LeafGold silent arcade buttons to mod my iCade with, can't wait for them to get here!
Still stuck waiting for the new jailbreak to come out, I fear they might wait since 8.15 since .14 is around the corner (matter of days) and .15 is said to be another hefty update so they might not wanna waste a jailbreak hack before that happens.

Edit:
Btw I just checked the op for February/ March/ April and the games highlighted are always the same with the exception of a couple titles?!
What's up with that, something happened or nothing decent came out in the last 3 months lol
I've been removing older titles while adding new titles. So like I'll be adding Implosion, Trigonarium, Dragon Hills, and Devious Dungeons 2 tomorrow, so I'll remove the four oldest titles to make space for those.

You think I should only include that month's releases for a thread?

Also what other monthly threads aren't in Community? I know the Indie Games threads aren't

awp69

I've been removing older titles while adding new titles. So like I'll be adding Implosion, Trigonarium, Dragon Hills, and Devious Dungeons 2 tomorrow, so I'll remove the four oldest titles to make space for those.

I'd like to recommend Rogue Star for the OP as well, but understand if you can't fit it. Great, great game.

RowdyReverb

I'm so hooked on damn Mr Jump. I've been on level 6 for a few days, but it's so satisfying to get further in each stage based on improvements in your skill alone.
Also, if you didn't know, turning on airplane mode before you launch the app disables ads. Sorry if that's an obvious tip in this thread, but it's been a godsend for me.

RowdyReverb

The ads haven't bothered me too much, though it's annoying that when you x out of one and the level starts, it's a little juddery at first. That's killed me more than a few times.

Still working on level 12. Pretty sure I've died more on this one than all the others combined.
Put a solid 200 attempts on level 6 tonight and made it to 70%. I shudder to think how hard the next levels will be (if I ever see them). I can't remember the last time I've enjoyed, yet hated a game at the same time.

Wthermans

Banned

Edit:
I completely agree but the decision has already been made and we lost that fight.

It does infuriate me to see mods turn a blind eye to the other threads that should be sent Straight To Community.

awp69

Has anyone here tried Mortal Kombat X?

I did. Combat is pretty basic and fatalities are only scripted (ie., you can't trigger them through any kind of finishing move, they just happen randomly).

Quickly deleted to make room for Implosion, a completely different type of game but with much more satisfying combat.

am_dragon

I didn't see this posted so
Gridrunner is free.
One of my favorite Llamasoft games.
Edit: never mind looks like it got an IAP version.

awp69

Holy crap! Amazon got a mega exclusive For their Kindle/Fire line -- Hotline Miami!

Now is want to know if it's a timed exclusive (as far as Android is concerned). And if it'll make it's way to iOS.

Hotline Miami is amazing if you've never played it. Ultra addictive, excessively violent (well as grisly as it's throwback pixelated graphics will allow), top-down arcade shooter.

Interesting to see if it goes elsewhere on mobile.

Holy crap! Amazon got a mega exclusive For their Kindle/Fire line -- Hotline Miami!

Now is want to know if it's a timed exclusive (as far as Android is concerned). And if it'll make it's way to iOS.

Hotline Miami is amazing if you've never played it. Ultra addictive, excessively violent (well as grisly as it's throwback pixelated graphics will allow), top-down arcade shooter.

Interesting to see if it goes elsewhere on mobile.
Wow, I wonder how it plays with touch controls. How does that even work? You have to be able to move and aim without attacking or shooting and that's near impossible with just a dual virtual joystick set-up

awp69

Wow, I wonder how it plays with touch controls. How does that even work? You have to be able to move and aim without attacking or shooting and that's near impossible with just a dual virtual joystick set-up

I just read it may be for Fire TV only. Not the entire Amazon line. Thus a controller would be used.

Guess time will tell. But at least they have it running on an Android based device so that's a start. Then, well, there's still the question of whether they would port it to iOS.

It begs to mind whether there could be Android/iOS games that actually require a controller.

Technically, Google Play already has a few - like Half Life 2 and Portal for the Shield Tablet, both of which have zero touch controls.

killercow

I just read it may be for Fire TV only. Not the entire Amazon line. Thus a controller would be used.

Guess time will tell. But at least they have it running on an Android based device so that's a start. Then, well, there's still the question of whether they would port it to iOS.

It begs to mind whether there could be Android/iOS games that actually require a controller.

Technically, Google Play already has a few - like Half Life 2 and Portal for the Shield Tablet, both of which have zero touch controls.

This is not possible on iOS because Apple requires some form of touch controls.

Yasumi

Banned
Any recent VN releases? I need something after finishing Planetarian and Banshee. Already read 999 and Higurashi.

awp69

Just have to say that I feel pretty comfortable calling Implosion by far the best action/adventure hack n' slash on iOS. The gameplay just feels so good, massive bosses, varying missions and tons of replayability with badges and higher difficulties. Probably the only thing that could be a bit better is the whole Ark system, which is a bit confusing when you don't know whether something is equipped in a different slot, etc.

It's just a minor annoyance because the polish, voice acting annd graphics are all fantastic. It's the gameplay though that will keep me coming back. It's about time a developer nailed the genre. There's been a few good hack n slashes but none that come as close to matching console level fun as this one. A nice blend of DMC and God of War type fighting with dungeon crawling, loot and a sci-fi setting to boot.

Would love to see Rayark expand upon the formula here in a Medieval fantasy world someday.it would be an instant purchase.

Also glad to see it's #34 in paid games despite the $10 price tag. It deserves to go even higher and yet again proves premium games can work on iOS. And $10 is still a bargain.

JCho133

Holy woah has anyone here seen Lost Within? Coming soon to iOS and Amazon devices.

It's a 1st person survival horror point and click adventure game from Human Head (Yes! R.I.P. Prey 2) and it looks bloody fantastic. Definitely for Hellraid: The Escape and Amnesia fans.

Definitely looking forward to it

Voidance

Just have to say that I feel pretty comfortable calling Implosion by far the best action/adventure hack n' slash on iOS. The gameplay just feels so good, massive bosses, varying missions and tons of replayability with badges and higher difficulties. Probably the only thing that could be a bit better is the whole Ark system, which is a bit confusing when you don't know whether something is equipped in a different slot, etc.

It's just a minor annoyance because the polish, voice acting annd graphics are all fantastic. It's the gameplay though that will keep me coming back. It's about time a developer nailed the genre. There's been a few good hack n slashes but none that come as close to matching console level fun as this one. A nice blend of DMC and God of War type fighting with a dungeon crawling, loot and a sci-if setting to boot.

Would love to see Rayark expand upon the formula here in a Medieval fantasy world someday.it would be an instant purchase.

Also glad to see it's #34 in paid games despite the $10 price tag. It deserves to go even higher and yet again proves premium games can work on iOS. And $10 is still a bargain.
I have to agree. While I've only played the first three missions, I am really impressed with the game. It scratches my hack-n-slash itch and it's on a device I take everywhere.

I'm a little confused by the Ark system, but I basically just look at what was equipped, see if I acquired anything similar or better, and go from there. Not sure if that's the right approach, but it's all I've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom