• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
50 posts per page is the way to go. Only way my phone and computer can function on GAF, since the Indie, Rain World, and IOS threads typically have a ton of GIFs and screenshots per page

nahhhh, 100 for life. The first page of the last couple of iOS threads is the only thing that really kills my phone.

killercow

So, what are the best iOS tower defense games except Kingdom Rush series?

- Anomaly
- Fieldrunners
- Go Home Dinosaurs
- Crystal Siege
- Prime World
- Station Frontier HD
- Spice Bandits
- OTTTD
- The Creeps
- iBomber Defense
- geoDefense Swarm
- Sleep Attack

awp69

Anyone ever play a game called Racing Tyres Space? I stumbled upon it in AppZapp (it's currently free) and it's a pretty wild racer/physics platformer. You are a tire and have to navigate increasingly complex courses and having to learn when to slow down and speed up at the right times to successfully hit the right paths and jumps. It's clever with good physics and very challenging.

Also worth checking out is Cube Koala, which came out this week. Super Meat Ball inspired levels but you turn the "cube" in order to get past obstacles to reach the goal. It's free with just a $.99 IAP to remove ads.

Anyone ever play a game called Racing Tyres? I stumbled upon it in AppZapp (it's currently free) and it's a pretty wild racer/physics platformer. You are a tire and have to navigate increasingly complex courses and having to learn when to slow down and speed up at the right times to successfully hit the right paths and jumps. It's clever with good physics and very challenging.

Also worth checking out is Cube Koala, which came out this week. Super Meat Ball inspired levels but you turn the "cube" in order to get past obstacles to reach the goal. It's free with just a $.99 IAP to remove ads.
Racing Tyres Space? That's the only one that appeared when I searched
https://appsto.re/us/8nZjY.i

And yeah, Cube Koala is excellent

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there any good dungeon crawler games? Ideally in 3D like eye of the beholder, dungeon master, or hired guns.

JCho133

Anyone here played/looked at Attack of the Light: Steven Universe? It's a Paper Mario-esque party-based RPG from Grumpyface Studios based on some Cartoon Network show.

The reviews have been glowing so far, with a Gold from Pocket Gamer and a 9/10 from Destructoid.

Attack the Light - Steven Universe Light RPG by Cartoon Network
https://appsto.re/us/Qufh4.i

Anyone here played/looked at Attack of the Light: Steven Universe? It's a Paper Mario-esque party-based RPG from Grumpyface Studios based on some Cartoon Network show.

The reviews have been glowing so far, with a Gold from Pocket Gamer and a 9/10 from Destructoid.

Attack the Light - Steven Universe Light RPG by Cartoon Network
https://appsto.re/us/Qufh4.i
Well of course it's good. The devs made Castle Doombad

Here's the game's OT

Anilones

Where are all the sales? I seem to remember that there are usually a lot of big name sales over Easter. I'm not expecting Christmas level, but some would be good.

nampad

Finally played Monument Valley and 80 Days. While I didn't play them on iOS, I'll still post here as there is no other good thread ;)

I have to say I am severely disappointed by the former and can't understand the hype surrounding it. The gameplay mechanics are a neat idea but nothing new or innovative, Echochrome did that years ago and much better I might add. Monument Valley just adds a admittedly nice coat of paint and some artsy, some might call it pretentious, back story which is barely told.
The 10 levels of the base game were too easy except the last one and overall, the game was finished in barely over an hour. The controls were a little bit imprecise sometimes. Unfortunately, level 9 was unplayable for me as the framerate dropped a lot. The last level also didn't run well. I have a 2 year old high end model so technically, it shouldn't happen.

I would give the game a 6/10, especially because of the subpar performance of the last 2 levels.

Fortunately, 80 Days delivered on the hype. I did 2 runs, one with 82 days and one with 68 days. I really enjoyed the novel like presentation with the variety of decisions you could make. The world building was really interesting and from my two travels I could see that there is a lot to experience.
My only problem was that I felt that some parts of the UI really needed some work. The suitcase management was horrible and not listing the price of transportation right next to the highlighted city is stupid.

Without the UI problems it might have scored a bit higher but I would rate it at 8/10.

Finally played Monument Valley and 80 Days. While I didn't play them on iOS, I'll still post here as there is no other good thread ;)

I have to say I am severely disappointed by the former and can't understand the hype surrounding it. The gameplay mechanics are a neat idea but nothing new or innovative, Echochrome did that years ago and much better I might add. Monument Valley just adds a admittedly nice coat of paint and some artsy, some might call it pretentious, back story which is barely told.
The 10 levels of the base game were too easy except the last one and overall, the game was finished in barely over an hour. The controls were a little bit imprecise sometimes. Unfortunately, level 9 was unplayable for me as the framerate dropped a lot. The last level also didn't run well. I have a 2 year old high end model so technically, it shouldn't happen.

I would give the game a 6/10, especially because of the subpar performance of the last 2 levels.

Fortunately, 80 Days delivered on the hype. I did 2 runs, one with 82 days and one with 68 days. I really enjoyed the novel like presentation with the variety of decisions you could make. The world building was really interesting and from my two travels I could see that there is a lot to experience.
My only problem was that I felt that some parts of the UI really needed some work. The suitcase management was horrible and not listing the price of transportation right next to the highlighted city is stupid.

Without the UI problems it might have scored a bit higher but I would rate it at 8/10.
I loved Monument Valley, definitely for the atmosphere, the art style, and tactile nature of the gameplay. I could see why you'd be disappointed if you want in expected a challenging or tricky game. It's more of an experience, enjoying the art, touching and twisting and manipulating the landscape, etc. Took about two hours on my first playthrough.

Have you played the Sorcery games by inkle? 80 Days was one of my GOTYs last year, but I like the Sorcery games more. 80 Days has the sprawling world and other elements, but I like Sorcery's presentation and prose better. Sorcery 3 is looking even more ambitious than 80 Days

Just jumped ship over from Android and I am looking at trying out some exclusive iOS titles for my iPhone 6. What would you guys recommend?

Nice review. Yeah 80 Days is worth every penny. It's unlike anything I played before on any console/handheld/mobile. Fantastic presentation. I love the music - you feel like you're in a sweeping epic adventure. The text novel + game combination is very creative - I can picture several classic adventure stories getting the same treatment like Treasure Island or even Life of Pi.

The first time I played I got thrown in jail for several days and totally went over 80 days. lol

So, what are the best iOS tower defense games except Kingdom Rush series?
- Anomaly
- Fieldrunners
- Go Home Dinosaurs
- Crystal Siege
- Prime World
- Station Frontier HD
- Spice Bandits
- OTTTD
- The Creeps
- iBomber Defense
- geoDefense Swarm
- Sleep Attack
Personally, I've tried a lot of tower defense games but other than PvZ and Kingdom Rush I haven't really gotten hooked on any of them.

OTTTD was OK and had a good "hero" unit focus, but it was hard to tell if I had the right towers or not, or how I should be upgrading my units (do a really expense upgrade, or buy more small towers).

I got the first Anomaly games, but didn't really find the "reverse tower defense" mechanic as fun as regular TD. Looks great though.

Star Wars Galactic Defense game was actually pretty good for a while (I'm a sucker for Star Wars music and sound effects in games) since it pretty much takes directly after Kingdom Rush, but it requires an internet connection (not a deal breaker for me, but annoying) and it does require a lot of grinding (or spending real money) to get the upgrades you need to succeed later (leveling up towers and heroes).

The only other one I can think of that I really enjoyed was Castle Doombad. It's a 2D sidescrolling TD game which I'd never seen before and it is really fun, gives you lots of upgrade points (so I never felt like I needed to spend real money), and it has a great concept/sense of humor (you're the super villain trying to stop the heroes from rescuing the princess).

Most of the time I just find myself going back and replaying the Kingdom Rush games, haha. I've put so many hours into those games and I still haven't gotten all the medals (or whatever they are) for every level and I haven't even tried going above "casual" difficulty yet. Doesn't help that I own and play them across both iOS and Android, so I'm basically doing them all twice.

awp69

Racing Tyres Space? That's the only one that appeared when I searched
https://appsto.re/us/8nZjY.i

And yeah, Cube Koala is excellent

Felt the need to come back and add an addendum for my earlier praise of Racing Tyres Space.

I still think it's a great premise and I enjoy the mechanics. But it's way too freaking hard. I'm not one that's good at incredibly difficult game as it is, but I like the challenge and will not go down quietly (see love of Hero Emblems, for example). But Racing Tyres is too brutal. Time trials are a mechanic of many platformers. But the headbanging difficulty of stopping just at the right time to fall down a path or hit a jump without overshooting is enough on its own. Doing so and still missing the time cutoff by a good many seconds is another.

It's still free so no reason others shouldn't try it. Maybe I just really suck to the point of not wanting to continue on.

nampad

I loved Monument Valley, definitely for the atmosphere, the art style, and tactile nature of the gameplay. I could see why you'd be disappointed if you want in expected a challenging or tricky game. It's more of an experience, enjoying the art, touching and twisting and manipulating the landscape, etc. Took about two hours on my first playthrough.

Have you played the Sorcery games by inkle? 80 Days was one of my GOTYs last year, but I like the Sorcery games more. 80 Days has the sprawling world and other elements, but I like Sorcery's presentation and prose better. Sorcery 3 is looking even more ambitious than 80 Days

The presentation is nice but in the end there is nothing behind it so it seems kind of shallow. I like artsy games but the line between artistic and pretentious is quite thin.

I forgot to mention that I got both games for free from Amazon so being so disappointed even though I paid nothing is even more devastating. I guess the gameplay would have had a bigger effect if I hadn't played Echochrome.

Thanks for your recommendation of Sorcery. I got Sorcery 2 for free from Amazon. Can I start from there or would I miss out on something? I hate it when I miss out on story or so.

Nice review. Yeah 80 Days is worth every penny. It's unlike anything I played before on any console/handheld/mobile. Fantastic presentation. I love the music - you feel like you're in a sweeping epic adventure. The text novel + game combination is very creative - I can picture several classic adventure stories getting the same treatment like Treasure Island or even Life of Pi.

The first time I played I got thrown in jail for several days and totally went over 80 days. lol

I wanted to strangle Phileas Fogg for his suggestion that I should
box with some champion
or when I mentioned something and he decided to leave our transportation. Those random things are essential to the game though and make it interesting :)

I hope you have played Device 6 if you like a book-like games. It is my favorite mobile game.

The presentation is nice but in the end there is nothing behind it so it seems kind of shallow. I like artsy games but the line between artistic and pretentious is quite thin.

I forgot to mention that I got both games for free from Amazon so being so disappointed even though I paid nothing is even more devastating. I guess the gameplay would have had a bigger effect if I hadn't played Echochrome.

Thanks for your recommendation of Sorcery. I got Sorcery 2 for free from Amazon. Can I start from there or would I miss out on something? I hate it when I miss out on story or so.
Your choices carry over between games so I think it's best to play in order. Third game is coming out next week

And I second that recommendation of Device 6. The way it uses text is just genius.

awp69

Finally got around to finishing Poco Eco myself. Loved it through the first half and played through to the end today.

If you thought Monument Valley was shallow, the gameplay in Poco Eco is pretty easy and "shallow" as well. BUT if you play it as an experience, it's fantastic. Music plays a major part in the game so when it says it's best experienced with headphones, it means it. The soundtrack alone is worth more than the price of admission, particularly in the later levels.

The atmosphere and landscapes, combined with that soundtrack, make it a memorable journey. Outstanding "game" and worth checking out if you like these type of games. Deserves the high praise it got from Pocket Gamer and other sites.

nampad

Finally got around to finishing Poco Eco myself. Loved it through the first half and played through to the end today.

If you thought Monument Valley was shallow, the gameplay in Poco Eco is pretty easy and "shallow" as well. BUT if you play it as an experience, it's fantastic. Music plays a major part in the game so when it says it's best experienced with headphones, it means it. The soundtrack alone is worth more than the price of admission, particularly in the later levels.

The atmosphere and landscapes, combined with that soundtrack, make it a memorable journey. Outstanding "game" and worth checking out if you like these type of games. Deserves the high praise it got from Pocket Gamer and other sites.

The shallow was more about what was behind the artsy presentation, which was practically nothing as the game was so short and the lore bits rarely showed anything.

The gameplay mechanics were interesting but the level design was too easy.

I like artsy games and don't need complex gameplay mechanics (e.g. Flower was great) but somehow Monument Valley didn't do it for me. I guess I was just overhyped.

Implosion is out tomorrow!

$9,99 with no iAPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7D3vzeztuY

Iwsgt8Al.jpg

Almakos

Neo Member
Hey guys, I know it's April already
But I wanted to share a game published in late March. I hope you will find it interesting. Especially fishing fans

Game is called Fishing Fantasy. It was developed by me and it's a small fishing game
It looks like this
16868114306_f7ed12f93c_o.jpg

And plays like This (YouTube)

I would be happy to hear your feedback and answer any questions
Cheers!

p.s. My apologies for posting in April's thread. But I am too green to create new threads and March's is closed already

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
p.s. My apologies for posting in April's thread. But I am too green to create new threads and March's is closed already

You aren't obliged to post in the March thread just because you released the game in March. Posting in here is fine.

I'd advise against creating new threads for your own games though, That is frowned upon for the most part (not to mention mobile game discussion outside these monthly threads can be challenging).

Game looks good, especially for a single person effort. I like the unique feel created through the graphics and sound, and good choice on setting it at night.

colinp

Banned
Hey guys, I know it's April already
But I wanted to share a game published in late March. I hope you will find it interesting. Especially fishing fans

Game is called Fishing Fantasy. It was developed by me and it's a small fishing game
It looks like this
16868114306_f7ed12f93c_o.jpg

And plays like This (YouTube)

I would be happy to hear your feedback and answer any questions
Cheers!

You have a link? I'm having trouble finding it in the store.

awp69

Damn. I've been spending way more money than I should be with my recent addition of a PSTV to my gaming arsenal.

But I have to find a way to scrounge up $10 for Implosion (and successfully hide that purchase from my wife ;) ).

Just looks too awesome.

Damn. I've been spending way more money than I should be with my recent addition of a PSTV to my gaming arsenal.

But I have to find a way to scrounge up $10 for Implosion (and successfully hide that purchase from my wife ;) ).

Just looks too awesome.
Is it on the NZ store yet?

I'll wait for reviews and impressions first. Fast-paced hack-slash games can be hard to get right on touchscreen.

Almakos

Neo Member
You aren't obliged to post in the March thread just because you released the game in March. Posting in here is fine.

I'd advise against creating new threads for your own games though, That is frowned upon for the most part (not to mention mobile game discussion outside these monthly threads can be challenging).

Game looks good, especially for a single person effort. I like the unique feel created through the graphics and sound, and good choice on setting it at night.

Thank you for the advice, Mario. I kind of hate blatant advertisements myself, but for some forums it is actually a good thing to start separate topics.
Good that you pointed me in a right direction for the NeoGAF rules =)
And thank you for the feedback!

You have a link? I'm having trouble finding it in the store.

Hey colinp, my game can be found here https://itunes.apple.com/app/fishing-fantasy/id931267863?mt=8&uo=4&at=10l4Vt

It is a paid game, but currently on sale $0.99

awp69

Is it on the NZ store yet?

I'll wait for reviews and impressions first. Fast-paced hack-slash games can be hard to get right on touchscreen.

Nope. Doesn't look like it. Might be a simultaneous global launch.

Due to my excessive spending I may wait got imps too.

Or at worst, wait for the F2P version on Android next week (single $9.99 IAP to unlock the full game). Wish that was the same route on iOS.

awp69

Some impressions are in the TA thread. General consensus seems to be: plays good, looks good, missions are kind of short, there seems to be a nice amount of replayability. Not "OMG, everyone with an iDevice needs to buy this" good, but still a fun polished game

Yeah, been reading those. Sounds like it may have been a bit overhyped but I'll be curious to read opinions once people get even further in or finish it.

Thing is I could spend a bit more and get something like Velocity 2X on my PSTV, knowing it had won some Vita GoTY awards. My new little toy is calling my name. ;)

However, I do love a good hack n' slash....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom