• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyO

Do it. They're fantastic games. Sorcery 1, 2, and 80 Days. You can't go wrong.

I'm always weary of episodic games... but if I recall, parts 2 & 3 were the best, 1 the weakest, and 4 decent. Think I'll wait till 3 drops and see if they update the bundle first.

Backlogs... I only started Banner Saga on Saturday... was sitting there for a long while after purchasing.

Mr. Tibbs

Holy woah has anyone here seen Lost Within? Coming soon to iOS and Amazon devices.

It's a 1st person survival horror point and click adventure game from Human Head (Yes! R.I.P. Prey 2) and it looks bloody fantastic. Definitely for Hellraid: The Escape and Amnesia fans.

Definitely looking forward to it

AppSpy posted a video preview. It looks fantastic. Joe Fielder and Charles Soule wrote the script. There's 24 levels, multiple enemy types that the player can avoid or confront, item collecting and crafting and a campaign that lasts between 6-8 hours of gameplay.

It's supposed to arrive sometime this month.

awp69

Lost Within looks sweet. I'm taken back though that Amazon Game Studios is publishing on iOS now. Guess they should realize that their Fire phones tanked and the gamers on Kindles and Fire tablets are playing solitaire and Candy Crush so they need to sell more games somewhere. LOL. And fellow Android devices were too close to heart.

AppSpy posted a video preview. It looks fantastic. Joe Fielder and Charles Soule wrote the script. There's 24 levels, multiple enemy types that the player can avoid or confront, item collecting and crafting and a campaign that lasts between 6-8 hours of gameplay.

It's supposed to arrive sometime this month.

I've been looking forward to this after initially seeing it in the op. Hadn't seen that video, that really does look fantastic. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it later this month.

heringer

Been out of the loop lately, but from the looks of it there weren't a lot of groundbreaking new releases on the last couple of months.

Though I'm really interested in Implosion, Rogue Star and FM Classic. FM Classic is so expensive though. :(

Implosion looks cool and is more affordable, but I've heard it's a 3~4 hours game, so I might wait a bit too.

Any impressions on Rogue Star?

awp69

Been out of the loop lately, but from the looks of it there weren't a lot of groundbreaking new releases on the last couple of months.

Though I'm really interested in Implosion, Rogue Star and FM Classic. FM Classic is so expensive though. :(

Implosion looks cool and is more affordable, but I've heard it's a 3~4 hours game, so I might wait a bit too.

Any impressions on Rogue Star?

Implosion is fantastic and while a one-time walk through may take 3-4 hours it has a ton of replay value.

Rogue Star is also really good, especially if you've enjoyed things like Galaxy on Fire 2. It's much more streamlined than GoF 2 with more focus on dogfighting than the trading aspect. It also is lighter on story, but has a nice humorous tone. The battles are fun. The only drawback, however, is that it starts out with a high degree of difficulty. I've probably played about three hours and still have not made enough cash from missions and trading to buy the next ship upgrade. I don't find it as punishingly difficult as others seem to think, but it definitely is on the hard side. That said, it's an excellent game and the dev is responding to concerns such as the difficulty.

Can't go wrong with either of those. If I had to choose, though, I'd easily say Implosion, which I think is one of the best action/hack n' slash games on iOS.

Can't comment on FM Classic.

Avernum 2 is releasing on iPad tonight, so I'm pretty hyped for that
$9.99 (NZ store link). That's a deal; the PC version is $20
The world sounds fascinating
...a sprawling subterranean world in which generations of exiled prisoners have started new lives and scratched together a brave new civilization against the horrors of the dark. Unfortunately the surface world has launched a crushing offensive against its former outcasts, scattering and crushing the beleaguered yet determined rebels. It's a unique and complex setting that feels alive and authentic, underpinned by powerful themes of poverty, desperation, rebellion and racism...

Here's the PC trailer
https://youtu.be/sGyJkNL75eo

awp69

Don't be fooled into thinking Lara Croft: Relic Run is just a run of the mill Temple Run clone. It's much much more. Ton of variety with parkour moves, wall running, shooting sections, ATV riding, etc. - all enhanced by some cool mini-cut scenes while you're running. If you like BTB runners at all, do yourself a favor and create a Netherlands account and download it while it's in soft-launch. It's by far the best runner I've played in a long while. Typical freemium revives, consumables and upgrades. But it's very playable without purchases.

APPROVED-FOR-RELEASE_-Watch-Quest-One-Sheet.jpg
http://toucharcade.com/2015/04/14/wayforward-watch-quest-apple-watch-game/

Socreges

Banned
Is FF Tactics reputed to be a solid port? I'd heard it had framerate issues but also heard it was an excellent port? Was there an update that fixed certain issues?

Matt Frost

I been enjoying Trigonarium and Dragon Hills. The first one is a cool twin stick shooter that is always evolving, changing around you and throwing things at you. Controls well -the boost needs some time getting used to- to move around, different power-ups, NO IAP, and lots of cool touches here and there.

Dragon Hills is awesome. I AM A DRAGON. Well at least some minutes per day but I am still a dragon. This game is AWESOME. Do yourself a favor and buy it. NO IAP. Kind of fresh gameplay.

Another game I bought a few weeks ago and haven't seen anything is Tetrobot & Co... the thing is full of bright ideas, tight controls, awesome art... so far my GOTY.

Edit: The Lara Croft game is what I dont like about the genre: IAP, and Dragon Hills have none plus is a lot of fun being a dragon so I will keep playing that...

awp69

Spellcrafter, out tonight, looks fantastic :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wq664OCj6E

Tiny Guardians looks good too.

And slightly off topic, but knowing there are some Rogue-like fans here who also have Android devices or PCs, I have been playing TinyKeep (Android version). Really fun 3D physics based roguelike that I was surprised to find on Android. Hope it gets an IOS release.

okno

So quiet over here. Where is everyone?

Is community starting to really hurt this thread?

For me, personally, it's just that most of the games don't interest me anymore. Don't have an iPad anymore and don't have much time to play games, so I spend all my free time with my boyfriend :/

That said, Devious Dungeon 2 is super awesome and is taking up any other free time I have (which is nil).

awp69

For me, personally, it's just that most of the games don't interest me anymore. Don't have an iPad anymore and don't have much time to play games, so I spend all my free time with my boyfriend :/

That said, Devious Dungeon 2 is super awesome and is taking up any other free time I have (which is nil).

That's understandable. Between work, my wife, kids, housework, etc., I only really get to game a bit before I go to bed. And then I'm dividing it between console and mobile gaming. Trying to only get one or two games a week on iOS.

Devious Dungeon 2 is great. If I were to recommend any other games of late, I'd say Implosion and Rogue Star. Both are sucking up a lot of my spare time.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So quiet over here. Where is everyone?

Is community starting to really hurt this thread?

I'm not sure Community is starting to hurt this (these) thread(s). It hurt it right from the first day it happened. The threads have been noticeably slower ever since, and continue to slow down.

The March 2014 thread was almost twice as long as March 2015.

I talked to one of the mods about this a few days ago and he said the rule was that all platform threads were in Community now, and it would be unfair if some were and some weren't. That also explains why some monthly threads are okay to be in main forum

awp69

I talked to one of the mods about this a few days ago and he said the rule was that all platform threads were in Community now, and it would be unfair if some were and some weren't. That also explains why some monthly threads are okay to be in main forum

What I don't understand is why it would even be a big deal to have all the platform threads in the main forum. What are we talking about, maybe a dozen with older systems? With hundreds of threads there and probably 100 new ones every day, what is another dozen a month?

colinp

Banned
Maybe we should make a generic 'mobile gaming' monthly and just focus on iOS, hah.

Personally I haven't been iOS gaming much recently, besides PAD (which has its own thread...). Been spending my available game time playing MH4U.

What happened to Pitta, though?

awp69

Maybe we should make a generic 'mobile gaming' monthly and just focus on iOS, hah.

Maybe just act like we're asking for mobile gaming suggestions. Like "What are the best mobile games out right now?" And have someone rephrase the thread title the next month. That way it looks like a normal thread someone created. I personally don't care if it's just iOS. I game on Android as well.

I'm sure the mods would catch on to it anyway.

Oh well, just sad. Used to be some good conversations but with fewer people frequently, it feels pretty lonely here sometimes.

And yeah, I haven't seen Pitta or Jcho post here in a while and they were regulars. What's that say about newcomers if regulars are even disappearing?

colinp

Banned
Maybe just act like we're asking for mobile gaming suggestions. Like "What are the best mobile games out right now?" And have someone rephrase the thread title the next month. That way it looks like a normal thread someone created. I personally don't care if it's just iOS. I game on Android as well.

Oh well, just sad. Used to be some good conversations but with fewer people frequently, it feels pretty lonely here sometimes.

And yeah, I haven't seen Pitta or Jcho post here in a while and they were regulars. What's that say about newcomers if regulars are even disappearing?

Yep, totally agree.

I got banned for 24 hours last time I spoke about the mods so I'll quiet down now. ;) In retrospect I think it was actually because I criticized Our Dear Leader. They have a vision of the site and that's that, for better or worse.

Still, I hardly ever visit Community to scroll through the threads, much less what's on the second or third page.

Yep, totally agree.

I got banned for 24 hours last time I spoke about the mods so I'll quiet down now. ;) In retrospect I think it was actually because I criticized Our Dear Leader. They have a vision of the site and that's that, for better or worse.

Still, I hardly ever visit Community to scroll through the threads, much less what's on the second or third page.
Subscriptions. I just subscribe to the Community threads I visit offen, mainly the production threads for some movies and some others like this one.

Not a good idea.

wow this is a great idea what could possibly go wrong

Aeana

Sounds fool-proof. Those stupid mods will never catch on.

awp69

wow this is a great idea what could possibly go wrong

Sounds fool-proof. Those stupid mods will never catch on.

Geez. It was a joke! Do you really think I would have done that?

Just because I wish our thread was read as much as it used to be doesn't mean I'm stupid (something I never called mods BTW). More traffic would be better for everyone, but don't know what else we can do anymore.

awp69

Proun+ will be free for the first time later tonight (11 EST).

Great game - a mix of Unpossible (which I believe came out after the PC version of this) and racing.

JCho133

Sorry, missed that! :)

I'll admit I've been posting and looking at the sight pretty infrequently as of late, life's just kinda gotten in the way, and when I do post it's mostly just "anyone heard of/have this?" Posts that usually leave to few to no responses since the number of people that come here has become a bit smaller as you said.

awp69

It took 5 hours and 2 minutes, but I finally got a second ship in Rogue Star. And man, does it make a difference. I never thought the game was overly difficult but the next ship sets a much more level playing field.

Really is a great game. Just have to love space dogfights because it's quite a grind at first. Now that I'm over the hump, pretty sure I'll be loving it even more.

....and with that maybe people are tired of me posting too much...scaring GAFers away..

awp69

I'll admit I've been posting and looking at the sight pretty infrequently as of late, life's just kinda gotten in the way, and when I do post it's mostly just "anyone heard of/have this?" Posts that usually leave to few to no responses since the number of people that come here has become a bit smaller as you said.

It's okay. I forgive you. ;)

And I'll try to answer your posts when I can.

PittaGAF

What happened to Pitta, though?

I'm still alive!
(Thanks for asking!!!)

I mostly lurk daily this thread but I just happen to not like that much recent releases.
Not my cup of tea, or the right time.
I still play a lot with my iOS devices....lately mostly Quarriors! which I neglected for so long and I happen to love...so much I almost stopped playing all other usual async games, not to mention buy real dicemasters games....but it's a particular game not suited to this general thread.

I much enjoyed last Simogo effort too, but that's a podcast.
I'm also in some big betas (I won't talk about those) that take time.

I must say that lately this thread is more a 'publisher showcase' than a real discussion...meaning it contains mostly 'XXX out this day' or 'YYY on sale' etc... (which I DO appreciate, because I discover so many new games and especially indie ones I would miss) but it lacks real discussion about games.
Not sure if it's because of real lack of games to be discussed about, too many games or general lack of interest about that (or I maybe have missed those discussion because the game discussed didn't really interest me).

I also happened to have for the very first time a tiny backlog...so I worked on it.
Making space and deleting old stuff on my devices, made me realize how high is the bar right now and how mature iOS platform is, especially for certain genres...I'm not interested anymore in 'good' games....so I'm interested only in the outstanding ones (to me anyway...most are indie).
I have games on my devices I still play after a year that are still fantastic and better than in other platforms...so I'm focusing on those.

But do not worry...I'm saving a ton of GLORIOUSNESS for future times...when (all same week, no doubts) games like Deathwatch, Out There Omega, Galactic Keep and many others will be out :p

awp69

Glad to hear from you Pitta!

If nothing else, me complaining about how dead the thread is helped bring you out of the woodwork.

And not sure if they are indie enough or in genres that you like but I would put both Implosion and Rogue Star in the "outstanding" category.

Anyway, glad you haven't abandoned us!

PittaGAF

Glad to hear from you Pitta!

If nothing else, me complaining about how dead the thread is brought you out of the woodwork.

And not sure if they are indie enough or in genres that you like but I would put both Implosion and Rogue Star in the "outstanding" category.

Anyway, glad you haven't abandoned us!

:)

I'm not that into trading scifi sim anymore but I do have Implosion on my radar.
It's just not the right time now, but I'll play it sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom