• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

potam

Banned
Just bought an Apple TV today and have a couple of questions regarding the screen sharing feature:

1. Is there any way to tell what games are compatible with a controller? I was thinking it would be interesting to play some of the SE games on my TV.

2. Are all games/apps able to be streamed to the TV?

grmlin

^^

Yeah, absolutely feels like a game that'd be better on mobile.

On another note, Dragon Hills is absolutely spectacular. Rebel Twins make such good little endless arcade games. So visually polished and chock full of content

It's awesome! I don't like the way bosses are introduced, because the dragon often leaves the screen and does not respond anymore, but everything else is great.

And to play this type of game without ANY IAP feels so good!

FerranMG

Yesterday I downloaded Ridiculous Fishing.
I had been meaning to try it for a long while, and so far I'm liking it quite a bit.
The tilt controls can be a bit imprecise sometimes, but I think that's their nature. I'd have liked an option to play with buttons, though overall it plays very nicely.
It seems like a cool game to spend a few hours: collect all the fishes, get all the items, and never be bothered by an IAP.
I recommend it.

PittaGAF

Just bought an Apple TV today and have a couple of questions regarding the screen sharing feature:

1. Is there any way to tell what games are compatible with a controller? I was thinking it would be interesting to play some of the SE games on my TV.

No clue on 1), I think you just have to rely on the dev description or comments..as far as I know there isn't something official like an apple icon in the App Store (like Game Center).

As for 2, ideally everything.
Actually you are just mirroring the screen so you can see everything, OS included.
Just mirror the screen and then launch the game.

Be aware that not everything is actually playable tough...because of the added lag.
There are genres that are amazing tough (like when you are playing a boardgame with friends).
Seeing the Talisman board on the whole wall is pretty amazing.

Also notice that recently Apple changed the way mirroring works and that's problematic for some apps...notably apps that have the mirroring switch INSIDE the app (generally programs to see containers not directly supported, like mkv,avi etc....).
Some beam the full resolution format on the TV, some just mirror the screen so you see your device res with borders and such.

Generally it works very well tough, depending on what you want to do (I use it mostly for videos, movies and pictures).

After pad can answer both your questions:
http://mfigamelist.afterpad.com

Streaming to an Apple TV is usually pretty flakey.

MicRogue is releasing April 30th, been anticipating this for a while
kMoZE4Q.png

Cockatrice.gif

awp69

I'm getting used to the Halo controls. Sure they could be a lot better, but I'm still having a blast. On X1, I never even finished the first chapter...partly due to the newness of a next gen console and having more impressive games to play. But I'd say as far as non-arcade dual-stick shooters, these will be in my tops for iOS (with the caveat that the movement stick should have been better).

I was wondering if these are using Metal because they are beautiful from the ships and explosions all the way down to blades of grass. Really nice stuff.

awp69

Ok. What the hell is up with the name change? Assuming a mod did this? And why?

And how do I get my freaking name back?!?!?

Edit: My name is fixed but would love to get rid of that tag line too!

awp69

Only $2, wow. I was expecting it to be at least $5

Edit: ah, launch sale. Regular price should be $5

Yeah, that was a shock to me as well.

Let me know what you think of the controls. Some things like getting a boost jump to work were kind of tricky for me. I'd be curious to know what others think.

Edit: Strange, I can't seem to buy it. Just a circle with no option to buy. Tried rebooting. Same thing. I deleted the beta version too. Is this happening to everyone or just me?

Yeah, that was a shock to me as well.

Let me know what you think of the controls. Some things like getting a boost jump to work were kind of tricky for me. I'd be curious to know what others think.

Edit: Strange, I can't seem to buy it. Just a circle with no option to buy. Tried rebooting. Same thing. I deleted the beta version too. Is this happening to everyone or just me?
Puchased it just fine

Seems to control okay so far, but the text is a bit hard to read.
Havent it unlocked yet, but how do you boost jump with the touch controls? The timing was already kind of tricky with a keyboard

I have to admit, while the controls are visually cluttered, I prefer that, rather than having my fingers blocking parts of the screen. It worked well for Slayin' and it seems like it'll work well here

awp69

Havent it unlocked yet, but hpw do you boost jump with the touch controls? The timing was already kind of tricky with a keyboard

You have to jump then point down and jump again (think that's right, it's been a while since the beta ended). It was very hard for me to pull off and that was probably my biggest complaint. Maybe it will be easier for others.

killercow

You have to jump then point down and jump again (think that's right, it's been a while since the beta ended). It was very hard for me to pull off and that was probably my biggest complaint. Maybe it will be easier for others.

There's no MFi support right?

awp69

There's no MFi support right?

No, unfortunately.

And meant to say that you have to shoot the ground while jumping for the boost jump. It's not easy. I think I had asked the dev if he could change it to hitting the button to jump once then hitting and holding it down a second time. For some reason, he wanted to keep it with the shooting down (assuming that's what you do in the PC version?).

PittaGAF

Got Stealth Inc. and it's awesome...I feel I robbed the devs.
Is there any other recent great platformer I might have missed?

I like Stealth Inc., lovely graphics etc...but I wish it had a story and wasn't that puzzle-like and segmented.
Anything?
Last awesome platformers I played were Limbo and Aquaria.

Got Stealth Inc. and it's awesome...I feel I robbed the devs.
Is there any other recent great platformer I might have missed?

I like Stealth Inc., lovely graphics etc...but I wish it had a story and wasn't that puzzle-like and segmented.
Anything?
Last awesome platformers I played were Limbo and Aquaria.
Oh man never played Stealth Inc before? You're in for a treat. Just got the sequel yesterday on PC; the sequel is a metroidvania. Hopefully it makes its way to IOS

iO, Nobody Said It Was Easy, and Yet It Moves are all good platformers from the last few months

PittaGAF

Oh man never played Stealth Inc before? You're in for a treat. Just got the sequel yesterday on PC; the sequel is a metroidvania. Hopefully it makes its way to IOS

iO, Nobody Said It Was Easy, and Yet It Moves are all good platformers from the last few months

iO ?

awp69

Thanks for the suggestions.
Anything with a bit more realistic graphics and a proper story?

If you haven't played it I highly recommend Skulldruggery, which was just updated with a bunch of new levels. Uses Angry Bird type controls, which may sound weird but it really works well and is a lot of fun.

Magic Rampage is a great little RPG-ish platformer recently released and has a bit of a story.

Of course, there's tons of older great traditional platformers like Bloo Kid 2, but don't know what you have played.

awp69

Finally was able to buy Rex Rocket. Not sure what was going on.

Anyway, I was hoping the dev would have made some improvement to the boost jump in the final version. Unfortunately, it's still really hard for me to do. Annoying when you have to spend like 10 minutes trying to make one jump. Also leads to many deaths when enemies are around and you try to do it.

Anyone else having problems with it? If not, any suggestions that are making it easier for you? As mentioned, that was my biggest gripe with the beta and I did bring it up. The game is hard to begin with so adding my issues with the boost jump just makes it all that much harder.

Benedict

Enjoying Warhammer Quest but also extremely disappointed in the lack of content.
Most of it seems IAP even though it cost quite a bit when I bought or a while ago. Did they change the content after I bought it?
Any chance of them retroactively activating content for people who bought it early?

Enjoying Warhammer Quest but also extremely disappointed in the lack of content.
Most of it seems IAP even though it cost quite a bit when I bought or a while ago. Did they change the content after I bought it?
Any chance of them retroactively activating content for people who bought it early?
Isn't it characters and expansion packs? I think those were added after release.
Not sure you mean by "bought it early", it wasn't a paid-to-F2P switch.

If you want all the content for one purchase, the Steam version includes everything
http://store.steampowered.com/app/326670/
$14.99

PittaGAF

The 'plain' WHQ is about 15 hours for the main campaign if I recall well.
The two DLC add the same amount.
So the whole main quest (the 3 regions, Stirland, Reikland, Averland) from start to finish is about 30-50 hours (double it if you on hard fuck up in one black dungeon).
There are 21 red quests plus 5 black dungeons if I recall well.
And infinite white quests.
Nothing has changed since the beginning.
Every other iap is purely optional (they added characters over time and two monster/tiles pack).
Personally I have a hard core team with over 300 hours, so I definitely got my money back (I bought everything but used just the initial four).

So are the Halo controls really that bad? The reviews are keeping me from purchasing.
Implosion has fantastic controls - other devs should take note.

awp69

So are the Halo controls really that bad? The reviews are keeping me from purchasing.
Implosion has fantastic controls - other devs should take note.

No, I don't think they're THAT bad. Yes, the movement controls are too sensitive but I got used to it after a few levels.

Aside from the more arcade dual-stick shooters, where the Radiangames' efforts are king, I really consider the Halo games to be the best on the App Store. Graphics are outstanding and there's a ton of replayability with badges, different "skull" difficulties, etc.

I was disappointed with the controls when I first started playing but now they really don't bother me. Would I love to see them tweaked? Sure. But it definitely hasn't stopped me from playing them.

I know TA gave them 4 and 4.5 stars respectfully. Haven't seen any other published reviews.

No, I don't think they're THAT bad. Yes, the movement controls are too sensitive but I got used to it after a few levels.

Aside from the more arcade dual-stick shooters, where the Radiangames' efforts are king, I really consider the Halo games to be the best on the App Store. Graphics are outstanding and there's a ton of replayability with badges, different "skull" difficulties, etc.

I was disappointed with the controls when I first started playing but now they really don't bother me. Would I love to see them tweaked? Sure. But it definitely hasn't stopped me from playing them.

I know TA gave them 4 and 4.5 stars respectfully. Haven't seen any other published reviews.
Crimsonland HD is the best dual stick shooter on the App Store IMO. Tons of weapons, varied enemies, cool and interesting power-ups in survival, and surprising amount of depth

awp69

Crimsonland HD is the best dual stick shooter on the App Store IMO. Tons of weapons, varied enemies, cool and interesting power-ups in survival, and surprising amount of depth

Yeah, that's a good one. I guess I may be a little biased liking the Halo universe but the two games just have so much polish and the graphics/soundtrack suck me in and raise it above other DSS games to me. Also think $10 is a steal for both games IMO. I'm having a blast with them, even enjoying Assault more than the Xbox One version.

Edit: Funny, just read my post at the top of this page again where I was critical of the controls. Guess they grew on me rather quickly.

JCho133

I dunno, never really got into Crimsonland. I guess I'll give it another shot

Tbh the best dual stick on (or was on) the AppStore is (was) Infinity Field. When that left, Meltdown took the prize.

Age of Zombies, Minigore 2, and Spartan Strike are honorable mentions

I remember all the hype surrounding Guerilla Bob from Angry Mob games (Muffin Knight) but it turned out to be only pretty good. Still played it a lot though, lots of cool weapons and upgrades and coop. Hasn't had an update since 2011 though

awp69

Tbh the best dual stick on (or was on) the AppStore is (was) Infinity Field. When that left, Meltdown took the prize.

I loved Infinity Field. Unfortunately I have the iPhone version and now have an iPad so I would have loved to get the original iPad version. Aside from the radiangames, definitely one of my favorite arcade DSS games -- maybe even over radiangames.

Meltdown was great until they abandoned it riddled with bugs, losing upgrades, etc. Hear it may have an update next month, but not holding my breath.

Edit: Hell, was taking your word on Infinity Field being gone. It is actually still on the App Store. Think I'll be nabbing the HD version! Thanks for reminding me about that game.

Benedict

Isn't it characters and expansion packs? I think those were added after release.
Not sure you mean by "bought it early", it wasn't a paid-to-F2P switch.

If you want all the content for one purchase, the Steam version includes everything
http://store.steampowered.com/app/326670/
$14.99

I thought that one region with 9 main quests only is not really what I expected. Thought there would be more content when you bought the game. Enjoyed the game but I won't buy the other regions for about about $6 each.
Most of the weapons you find is also only for IAP characters and unusable for your main party.

JCho133

I loved Infinity Field. Unfortunately I have the iPhone version and now have an iPad so I would have loved to get the original iPad version. Aside from the radiangames, definitely one of my favorite arcade DSS games -- maybe even over radiangames.

Meltdown was great until they abandoned it riddled with bugs, losing upgrades, etc. Hear it may have an update next month, but not holding my breath.

Edit: Hell, was taking your word on Infinity Field being gone. It is actually still on the App Store. Think I'll be nabbing the HD version! Thanks for reminding me about that game.

It's still there? Oh damn! I'll be surprised if it still works.

And Meltdown's abandonment is Bulkypix's fault. Phenomenon have been trying to get an update out for ages but Bulkypix keeps postponing.

I just emailed Phenomenon again, see what they have to say about the update

If you're still on the fence, Pocket Gamer just put up its review of Spartan Strike. Gold award.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Halo:+Spartan+Strike/review.asp?c=64936

Thanks guys! I picked it up. The controls are just fine on my ipad mini. Maybe it's a bit cramped on the iphone? Anyway, having a blast w/Halo. With Halo and Implosion, I think iOS development is reaching a new level of action gaming. The price is great on both of them too.

Mr. Tibbs

A Lost Within review courtesy of Kotaku.

I appreciate the construction of Lost Within. I enjoy the ease with which my character navigates the well-rendered corridors, tapping to move, double-tapping to sprint. I enjoy the simple crafting system, allowing me to make health packs and tasers and other odds and ends to assist me on my journey.

And I enjoy the journey itself. The story Lost Within tells is quite twisted, and just when I thought I’d figured it all out, along comes the end of part one and the beginning of part two, at a point some two and a half hours in when most mobile games of this caliber would be wrapping things up. As an adventure game, it’s quite impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom