• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gamezebo review for Lost Within:

In a lot of ways, Lost Within felt like a very “by the numbers” horror game. This isn’t a criticism mind you — merely an observation that I got pretty much exactly what I was expecting from it. If you’re looking for a tense game that’s heavy on storytelling (and an absolute treat for you eyes), Lost Within is an easy recommendation — especially for gamers who like a good fright.

4/5

PittaGAF

Last few levels to go in Stealth Inc., which turned out to be right up my alley and really great.

More Badass, I've read your impression about the sequel in the indie thread...is there any news if they will port it to iOS like the first one? Seems like they tweaked right just my very minor complaints about the original game.

Looking for other action/adventure/platformers and coming back disappointed, I restarted Limbo 'just for fun' and almost completed it again with all the eggs (still awesome, 3 screens to go).

There should be much more of this stuff on iOS, which, to my utter surprise, turned out to be a really great platform for these kind of games, if controls are done right (not a fan of pure/great skill required platformers...more a puzzle/story/atmosphere/nice graphics/animations type).

Also, not related, does anyone know when exactly This war of mine should hit iOS?
Their website/blog proved to be useless.

Last few levels to go in Stealth Inc., which turned out to be right up my alley and really great.

More Badass, I've read your impression about the sequel in the indie thread...is there any news if they will port it to iOS like the first one? Seems like they tweaked right just my very minor complaints about the original game.

Looking for other action/adventure/platformers and coming back disappointed, I restarted Limbo 'just for fun' and almost completed it again with all the eggs (still awesome, 3 screens to go).

There should be much more of this stuff on iOS, which, to my utter surprise, turned out to be a really great platform for these kind of games, if controls are done right (not a fan of pure/great skill required platformers...more a puzzle/story/atmosphere/nice graphics/animations type).

Also, not related, does anyone know when exactly This war of mine should hit iOS?
I asked the devs on Twitter if the sequel was coming to IOS, no response yet

As for more action-adventure-platformers, Submerged is supposed to come out this year
http://www.uppercut-games.com/submerged/

Last I read, This War of Mine was coming late April/early May, looking more like May now

And more port news, Door Kickers is confirmed for a May release

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Ducktales Remastered is pretty freakin' good
Stealth Inc is fantastic and I love that they even made it iCade compatible, the sequel is even better but alasnot on iOS

okno

Letterpad is a seriously slick little word game. Only on 16/232 and have been stumped a handful of times. You're tasked with finding three words within nine letters that fit a clue (Halloween, glass, bear, etc). You have unlimited guesses, and can spend a hint to remove x amount of letters (usually the amount pertaining to the word with the most amount of letters). The game is fair and starts you off with 15 free hints and grants you one free hint a day. Most of the puzzles so far you can breeze through, but they all seem to have at least one tricky word. Had to spend two hints so far, and didn't feel like a total moron when the solution was revealed. What's nice about the hint system is that it doesn't reveal the answer right away. Rather, it removes the unneeded tiles, but keeps the rest of the tiles shuffled. Even with the letters staring you in the face, it can take a bit of rearranging to get the correct answer.

It's free and has a fantastic presentation. There are also community puzzles and you can create your own and upload them. Really neat puzzle game, perfect for playing right before bed.

GWX

Does the Ducktales iOS port feature all that annoying voiced interruptions? I hated them on the PC version, I actually stopped played after the first stage because of that shit.

PittaGAF

Ducktales Remastered is pretty freakin' good
Stealth Inc is fantastic and I love that they even made it iCade compatible, the sequel is even better but alasnot on iOS

Yeah, just completed Stealth Inc. (with touch controls) and it was really great.
The levels composition and progression was close to perfection and I really liked the ending too (had a genuine 'smile').
Last 4 levels were superb.

I forgot about Ducktales...thanks I'll look into it.

Sorcery 3, as expected, is awesome. Feels much more expansive than the first two, a lot more to see and do. The time travel aspect is very cool and makes the world feel even bigger. I do think the claim that is an open world is a bit misleading; you still travel from point to point but you can back-track and explore different paths. It's much less linear than the first two games

awp69

Sorcery 3, as expected, is awesome. Feels much more expansive than the first two, a lot more to see and do. The time travel aspect is very cool and makes the world feel even bigger. I do think the claim that is an open world is a bit misleading; you still travel from point to point but you can back-track and explore different paths. It's much less linear than the first two games

Sounds good. I haven't even finished the first one. Too many good games. Not enough time. Someday.

Toucharcade review for Sorcery 3 - 5/5
Sorcery! 3 is easily the biggest and most robust gamebook inkle has produced to date. It offers all of the strengths of the previous chapters and builds a ton of improvements on top of them.

Does the Ducktales iOS port feature all that annoying voiced interruptions? I hated them on the PC version, I actually stopped played after the first stage because of that shit.

pretty sure they made that stuff skippable with an update soon after launch.

awp69

Looks like Forgotten Memories (A Silent Hill spinoff, I believe) is out today. Haven't been able to find out the price, size, etc. yet, but I know it's supposed to premium and could be awesome.

Launch trailer looks fantastic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eEeevL4239I

Edit: $4.99 release week price. Not sure how much afterwards.

Looks like Forgotten Memories (A Silent Hill spinoff, I believe) is out today. Haven't been able to find out the price, size, etc. yet, but I know it's supposed to premium and could be awesome.

Launch trailer looks fantastic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eEeevL4239I

Edit: $4.99 release week price. Not sure how much afterwards.
It's not related to Silent Hill. Survival horror inspired and influenced by Silent Hill, but it's an original game

awp69

It's not related to Silent Hill. Survival horror inspired and influenced by Silent Hill, but it's an original game

Yes, got confused hearing that some Silent Hill characters would make an appearance, but it's actually two of the people who did voiceovers for Silent Hill 2 also lend their voices to this game.

Finished my first playthrough of Sorcery 3. Took 13 days to cross the wastes. Only discovered 3 of the 7 Serpents, found clues for 2, and only killed 1. Feels like I only scratched the surface.

colinp

Banned
Decided to jump into Sorcery! (the first!) after playing a bit of three and really enjoying it. I bought it ages ago but didn't give it the time of day because of lots of other stuff. Looking forward to eventually actually playing three haha.

awp69

Knew I had heard of Forgotten Memories but must have slipped my mind. I about shit myself when I saw a 600+ page thread in the Upcoming section of TA. That's insane.

Anyway, sounds like it could be the best psychological horror game on iOS so going to have to make room (Dev says it's 1.4 GB installed).

Supposedly will be released worldwide at midnight EST (kind of hoping that really means 11 EST since everyone refers to "midnight" when that's really not the case on the East Coast anyway).

JCho133

Knew I had heard of Forgotten Memories but must have slipped my mind. I about shit myself when I saw a 600+ page thread in the Upcoming section of TA. That's insane.

Anyway, sounds like it could be the best psychological horror game on iOS so going to have to make room (Dev says it's 1.4 GB installed).

Supposedly will be released worldwide at midnight EST (kind of hoping that really means 11 EST since everyone refers to "midnight" when that's really not the case on the East Coast anyway).

Forgotten Memories became a forgotten memory for you?

Letterpad is a seriously slick little word game. Only on 16/232 and have been stumped a handful of times. You're tasked with finding three words within nine letters that fit a clue (Halloween, glass, bear, etc). You have unlimited guesses, and can spend a hint to remove x amount of letters (usually the amount pertaining to the word with the most amount of letters). The game is fair and starts you off with 15 free hints and grants you one free hint a day. Most of the puzzles so far you can breeze through, but they all seem to have at least one tricky word. Had to spend two hints so far, and didn't feel like a total moron when the solution was revealed. What's nice about the hint system is that it doesn't reveal the answer right away. Rather, it removes the unneeded tiles, but keeps the rest of the tiles shuffled. Even with the letters staring you in the face, it can take a bit of rearranging to get the correct answer.

It's free and has a fantastic presentation. There are also community puzzles and you can create your own and upload them. Really neat puzzle game, perfect for playing right before bed.
Snagged this based on your suggestion. Fun, simple, little game but its kinda tough (or maybe my mind is just fatigued). I'm trying not to cheat and have tiles removed but sometimes I just can't to the next level without it. I'm at puzzle 13 or so right now. Thanks for the rec.

TheBear

Can anyone recommend me some must have games? Just upgraded from a 4s to a 6 and haven't really played iOS games for some time

okno

Snagged this based on your suggestion. Fun, simple, little game but its kinda tough (or maybe my mind is just fatigued). I'm trying not to cheat and have tiles removed but sometimes I just can't to the next level without it. I'm at puzzle 13 or so right now. Thanks for the rec.

I always have to ask myself if it's the game or just me being tired and playing late at night. It's about 50/50 right now. The game has easy puzzles and then it has puzzles with 2/3 being easy and the last one being a logical stretch, but once you get the answer it is immensely satisfying!

PittaGAF

The menu in Does Not Commute is polish made videogame.

The actual game feels like playing 'Desperate Housewives'...with all those cool stories about the neighbourhood (written by a Simogo dev, no less).

killercow

The menu in Does Not Commute is polish made videogame.

The actual game feels like playing 'Desperate Housewives'...with all those cool stories about the neighbourhood (written by a Simogo dev, no less).

Wouah, I didn't know Simon was involved. No wonder the story is so funny and well written :)

awp69

A little concerned about Forgotten Memories' save system. I understand that the floppy disk system is a throwback to hardcore games, including Resident Evil.

But even though I consider myself to be a hardcore gamer, I often am limited to shorter gameplay sessions

Oh well, still going to give it a try

Man, I'm reading "impressions" of Forgotten Memories on another forum

- Flashlight battery IAP please
- Why is this a mobile game? It's too hard, should only have been a PC game
- Add more save points and checkpoints, mobile games are for playing for short periods of time. This isn't a PC game

We finally get a console-caliber survival horror game and that's the response? Pretty disappointing

awp69

Man, I'm reading "impressions" of Forgotten Memories on another forum

- Flashlight battery IAP please
- Why is this a mobile game? It's too hard, should only have been a PC game
- Add more save points and checkpoints, mobile games are for playing for short periods of time. This isn't a PC game

We finally get a console-caliber survival horror game and that's the response? Pretty disappointing

While I absolutely don't agree with people complaining about a game being too hard, even as a hardcore gamer, I do have to admit that my mobile gaming is indeed mostly because of convenience and for short bursts. So I kind of get where people are coming from as game saves. That's not to say that the game shouldn't be made he way it was. But I can see people buying it and being frustrated -- not at the difficulty, but if they get a phone call or are, like me, typically playing for shorter periods and then losing their progress due to the lack of a checkpoint.

A lot of people who have work, kids, etc., have migrated to mobile gaming for this very reason. Playing games here and there and on the go.

Trust me, I want console level experiences more than anyone but the reasons even hardcore gamers play on mobile are due to those advantages.

I still bought the game and am going to try to carve out larger periods of time to play it. I just don't necessarily disagree with the points made regarding the requirement of long play sessions.

Actually, I think a good compromise would have been that if you die between checkpoints, you go back to the last checkpoint. But still allow quick saves to be able to pick up where you left off if you have something else to attend to. That's not changing the difficulty at all. It's just delaying your gameplay to another time. That keeps the brutal punishment of losing progress if you die and still allows for convenient gaming on the go.

Any other overall impressions? Was curious if there's a nice variety of enemies and weapons, and how the combat is, etc. Devs said it's around 4 hours long, but do you think it would be longer for a first playthrough?

awp69

Any other overall impressions? Was curious if there's a nice variety of enemies and weapons, and how the combat is, etc. Devs said it's around 4 hours long, but do you think it would be longer for a first playthrough?

Honestly haven't gotten a chance to play :) Work sucks.

I was just playing Devil's advocate on the game save issue. I will be digging into it tonight so I'll get back to you on that.

Funny, I was just reading that "other" forum and surprised that no one is making the point that I just made -- that you can add quick saves without changing the difficulty at all. The difficulty comes from dying before reaching the next checkpoint and shouldn't be whether you take a break due to a phone call, etc.

EDIT: Finally, Hoggy made the same basic case that I made in the TA thread, although he didn't stress that it wouldn't change the difficulty. Hopefully people understand what he's saying.

JCho133

Neutronized (Lost Yeti, Drop Wizard) just announced they're making a Metroidvania!

Post is in the upcoming thread on TA.

Rejoice!

Any impressions of Forgotten Memories yet? The TA thread is useless. Most people just discussing the save system, and no real thoughts on the game itself

Mr. Tibbs

A few more Lost Within reviews:

http://www.appgamer.com/lost-within/reviews/#.VTld9ifn4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuAGtzxDuaE
http://www.destructoid.com/review-lost-within-290846.phtml

Destructoid: It's a setup you've seen a million times before, but Lost Within has a level of polish rarely seen from the genre, not to mention that it's a mobile-only affair.

That polish extends to the visual style as well, which is stunning on an Amazon Fire HD tablet. The crazy writing on the wall that you'd expect out of an asylum is clear and concise, and every environment looks like there was a lot of work put into it. Screenshots don't really do it justice, as the framerate and smooth engine are the strongest aspects of Lost Within.

With a little more creativity Lost Within could be a full-blown retail game, which could be where the publisher is heading with the acquisition of Double Helix and a few other talented developers.

awp69

Crap! I came here to post impressions of Forgotten Memories last night and they aren't here! Wonder if I fell asleep before submitting them.

Don't have my iPad with me and am driving but hope when I get back to it that they're still there and I will post.

awp69

F*ck. My browser was closed and impressions gone but quick summary:

* outstanding visuals, voice overs and overall atmosphere
* creepy but not scary (so far)
* plays much like a point and click adventure, but with free movement and, of course, some combat
* only negative, and you'd get this if you played, is that the enemies so far don't really seem like they should be hurting you. They don't have anything that should.

Overall a fantastic game for what I've played.

It is sad to see the TA thread completely derailed by the save question. I wish I could just write one post there because I don't think others are really explaining issue well. Like I said, regardless of a crash or if you just need to run, there should just be a way to pick up where you left off. That's it. The challenge of having to get from checkpoint to checkpoint would remain as would the penalties for dying. This is a mobile platform and, unfortunately, things happen and just basically putting th game on hold should not be a big deal. So I don't really get the dev's argument. But Appletini and other's could be a little more direct and clearer.

Anyway, I will find the time to play it because it definately is a game worth the effort.

PittaGAF

Courtesy of Rodeo Games, meet the Devastator, long range Death Angel.

I'll name her Sister 'Vasquez' :p

veKR5sD.png

awp69

^^ Looks awesome.

Anyone here play Steven Universe Attack the Light?

I have some Google Play credit and was thinking of picking get it up. Got great reviews on iOS and sounds like it is good even if you never have watched Steven Universe, which I haven't.

Asking here because I respect opinions of people here (even thought I'd be getting it on Android).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom