• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
dammit, i can't believe i missed Baldur's Gate 2 for $5. I had been waiting for that price to happen for a while and it just happens that it happened and i didn't even knooooowwwww

^^ Looks awesome.

Anyone here play Steven Universe Attack the Light?

I have some Google Play credit and was thinking of picking get it up. Got great reviews on iOS and sounds like it is good even if you never have watched Steven Universe, which I haven't.

Asking here because I respect opinions of people here (even thought I'd be getting it on Android).
I've read nothing but excellent impressions in the OT here. But this should probably sell you on it: it's from the same devs as Castle Doombad

okno

I keep wanting to buy the Steven Universe game, because I l.o.v.e. love the show, but the lack of story in the game is holding me back. I'm sure the game is fun and all, but I want there to be more to it than just a good RPG.

Look at me, complaining about a $3 game. I'm one of "them" now!

is there a way to get alerts when something you want gets a price drop or goes on sale on ios? Steam has that option, where i receive an email whenever a wishlisted game drops in price and i don't want to miss any more decent ios deals.

awp69

I've read nothing but excellent impressions in the OT here. But this should probably sell you on it: it's from the same devs as Castle Doombad

Thanks, I'll probably grab it.

is there a way to get alerts when something you want gets a price drop or goes on sale on ios? Steam has that option, where i receive an email whenever a wishlisted game drops in price and i don't want to miss any more decent ios deals.

If you have AppZapp (if you don't get it), you can set alarms for price drops and it will email you when they occur.

----------

Looks like the Forgotten Memories dev is going to add more floppy disks for saves, which will make the game easier. I don't know why they would do that when clearly the better option to preserve the "hardcore" difficulty would be to just add a way to preserve the game state, even when you want to close the app (not just crashes). You would never have the option of returning to that game state if you died, which would keep the difficulty the same. It just puts it on hold.

They're putting in a fix to keep the game's progress when the game is put into the background. So what's the difference If you close the app other than burning through your iPhone/iPad's battery?

I like the difficulty. So the solution is making the game easier with more saves when he says over and over he wants to keep the game's difficulty the same. Whatever. I know anyone who has read the TA thread is tired of hearing about it, but just seems to be a simple solution.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The latest update for our most recent game Four Letters has been approved. But as it is the start of the long weekend here in NZ, we probably won't release it until we do a full test pass on Tuesday (Monday PST).

A few people here liked it on release so if you want a code to get it early, PM me.

The update notes are

- Game Center support
- Achievements
- Expanded word list - more words to find!
- Now with swipe control

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Follow me on Twitter? :D

grab appshopper!

Oynox

I use AppTicker. It is an App from a Germany developer, but I think it is available in English as well. The big advantage over AppShopper is that you can monitor the whole catalog of developers, e.g. I track Simogo and get push notifications for all new released games, updates and sales.

New screenshot for Submerged

CDZgHnYXIAAOlDW.jpg

JCho133

The latest update for our most recent game Four Letters has been approved. But as it is the start of the long weekend here in NZ, we probably won't release it until we do a full test pass on Tuesday (Monday PST).

A few people here liked it on release so if you want a code to get it early, PM me.

The update notes are

- Game Center support
- Achievements
- Now with swipe control

Absolutely in love with this game, my high score peaked at 79. Hoping to jump back in when this update comes as I pretty much have every word memorized haha

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Absolutely in love with this game, my high score peaked at 79. Hoping to jump back in when this update comes as I pretty much have every word memorized haha

Code sent. It will just install straight over the top of your existing version, maintaining your profile.

awp69

The update notes are

- Game Center support
- Achievements
- Now with swipe control

Really enjoy Four Letters, but is there anything can be done to reduce the file size? Was kind of taken back on how big it was for a word game.

Is anyone playing Lifeline? Seems really really cool, and it's #8 on the U.S. Store

Haven't played it but looked kind of interesting to me as well.

---

Also has anyone playing Forgotten Memories found a computer on the third floor? They're adding more floppies, but I've had no problems finding disks, more just finding computers to use them. As of now, I have to explore and go back to the first floor to save which seems kind of silly to backtrack just for that.

okno

The update notes are

- Game Center support
- Achievements
- Now with swipe control

Yaaaas! More Four Letters! Absolutely amazing game.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Really enjoy Four Letters, but is there anything can be done to reduce the file size? Was kind of taken back on how big it was for a word game.

Yeah, its pretty chunky for what it is. It was built in a hurry in Unity and has full 64bit support, so is a little more than bloated than it should be. Should come down as we get more chance to optimize and Unity optimizes their 64bit solution (right now it adds 20mb to the binary).

JCho133

Wow, the new swipe controls for 4 letters are amazing. Extremely well implemented and perfect for shaving off those fractions of seconds

Is anyone playing Lifeline? Seems really really cool, and it's #8 on the U.S. Store
Yeah I am and I'm enjoying it. It's kinda like a choose your own adventure novel. This helpless sorta student is marooned and he talks to you via text messages. He asks for your input with a lot of binary choices like should I go to the wreckage or an odd rock formation I see in the distance? Also you get his texts in real time so if he sees something far away and asks if you think he should check it out and you say yes he'll be walking and won't text you for like an hour until he gets there. This is a great casual game that you can interact with at short bursts all day - perfect if you're busy and don't wanna sit down for long stretches of gaming. The 2.99 price feels a little steepish for what this is compared to the price of other games out there but I don't regret it, I'm having fun with it.

okno

Wow, the new swipe controls for 4 letters are amazing. Extremely well implemented and perfect for shaving off those fractions of seconds

The swipe controls just made an already fantastic game even more fantastic. I also love the addition of the achievements! There are a ton available, and they're all very well thought out and will take quite a while to achieve 100%, especially those secret achievements!

awp69

Crystal Siege HD just had a price drop for the first time to $2.99. Also is getting an update Thursday to make it universal (currently iPad only).

I hadn't gotten it due to having other unfinished TDs on my plate. But it has been on my wish list for a while so think I'm going to grab it.

awp69

Honestly can say that I'm starting to get more and more disappointed with Forgotten Memories. It looks great and oozes with atmosphere, but it's just sub-par for a survival horror game. Too much backtracking. And, yes, the save system is a pain in the ass.

Seriously, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I have no problem finding the floppy disks required for saving. And the dev thinks the rarity of the disks themselves makes it more difficult. For me, it's not.

I've read about people having trouble with the first wave of enemies. I only died once because I was not doing what I needed to do (you have to press the target button to enter combat -- not an option to auto target but a necessity to even take a swing). After that one time, I've had no problem with combat and have survived numerous encounters.

But it's finding a computer to save that's the pain for me -- not the lack of floppies. Maybe it was designed to backtrack to save. Maybe I'm missing something. But wondering around aimlessly for an hour not because of it being "hardcore" but just for not finding a place to save is just dull and frustrating. Even the enemies are uninspired.

The game actually had me yearning for a full fledged survival horror game so I was able to snag a cheap copy of The Evil Within (made by the same dev who did Resident Evil 4, which I still consider to be the gold standard of survival horror). And you know what? It's harder than hell, but I'm having a blast! Not frustrated with saves, but looking forward to the challenge between them.

Even a game like Bloodborne or Dark Souls can get away with the lack of save areas and having to rinse and repeat the same areas every time you die. Why? Because the challenge is fun!

The dev of Forgotten Memories says he wanted to create an old-school survival horror. I never felt bored or frustrated with saves going back to RE4. Yes, the limited ammo, health plants, etc., ratcheted up the level of tension in RE4 and that to me is old school. Tension and challenge. Not frustration.

People can argue all they want to saying anyone with negative impressions are wimps who don't appreciate a hardcore, premium game. Nope. That's not the problem. The problem is that it doesn't keep the tension up. It just is frustrating. And that's not fun.

JCho133

Who needs a survival horror game that isn't Dead Space 1 or 2?

Or mobile, as that's still pretty damn good. Played through it too many times for it to scare me though. Dead Space 1 still gives me hella heebiejeebies though, never finished a second playthrough on that one because of the torturous chapter 11

Heel

The 2.99 price feels a little steepish

You're already talking like a grizzled iOS veteran, Mak...lol.

Have you downloaded AppZapp or something similar yet? Let's you track price drops on the App Store and get alerts for the apps you mark. Very handy.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The swipe controls just made an already fantastic game even more fantastic. I also love the addition of the achievements! There are a ton available, and they're all very well thought out and will take quite a while to achieve 100%, especially those secret achievements!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. This Four Letters update has been pushed live to the Store and should be available to everyone soon.

Next update will include dictionary definitions for all words and browseable word lists to see your "collection".

dream

Oh, here's where you guys went.

Rex Power is awesome. It controls very nicely, and it seems, at least at this initial stage, like a very good metroidvania.

edit: and by Rex Power, I mean Rex Rocket

awp69

Who needs a survival horror game that isn't Dead Space 1 or 2?

Or mobile, as that's still pretty damn good. Played through it too many times for it to scare me though. Dead Space 1 still gives me hella heebiejeebies though, never finished a second playthrough on that one because of the torturous chapter 11

Yep. Dead Space 1 is one of my all time favorites in the genre. Need to replay it one of these days.

I know the mobile version, which I haven't played, is supposed to be decent. But with advancements in iOS, Metal, etc., I think the console version could be ported. The controls aren't as cumbersome as BioShock so I think it would be better than that IMO.

killercow

Yep. Dead Space 1 is one of my all time favorites in the genre. Need to replay it one of these days.

I know the mobile version, which I haven't played, is supposed to be decent. But with advancements in iOS, Metal, etc., I think the console version could be ported. The controls aren't as cumbersome as BioShock so I think it would be better than that IMO.

Dead Space Mobile was so amazing back in the days and I still think it's one of the best action game on the appstore. Although I agree, a port of the original could be done.

JCho133

You haven't played?? Jesus Christ what are you doing with yourself, go play the mobile version!

And yeah, I feel like in terms of the technology it could probably be done, but I don't think it would work very well. DS Mobile was designed specifically for mobile and that's why it worked. Dead Space 1 requires too much precision and speed to work well on iOS

awp69

You haven't played?? Jesus Christ what are you doing with yourself, go play the mobile version!

And yeah, I feel like in terms of the technology it could probably be done, but I don't think it would work very well. DS Mobile was designed specifically for mobile and that's why it worked. Dead Space 1 requires too much precision and speed to work well on iOS

Dead Space Mobile was so amazing back in the days and I still think it's one of the best action game on the appstore. Although I agree, a port of the original could be done.

I actually just picked up the Android version to play on my Shield Tablet a few days ago (for some reason it was on sale on Google Play but not iOS).

So, I will stop Forgotten Memories and rectify this atrocity!

awp69

Holy crap! What is up with all the releases today? Or should I say what is up with all the RPG releases today?

Destiny Emerald
Microgue
Trulon
Warrior Heart
....and I think an action RPG or two that I'm forgetting.

Trulon, by the devs of Rimeland, looks the most interesting to me. Mix of turn-based and card battler from what I can tell. Only concern is that even their own media states 6+ hours of gameplay. Guess that's still a good chunk of gameplay -- just on the short side for an RPG.

Interesting stuff even before the usual Wednesday/Thursday rush.

Already a review from Pocket Gamer for Microgue (Silver Award):

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/MicRogue/review.asp?c=65077

Been spending a LOT. So thinking for now that might be my only pick up since it's only a buck (50% off launch sale).

Hmm I must have taken too long to play my turn in Lifeline. Last time Taylor was going to sleep and then I go back to it and it says he reached the end of his journey.

awp69

Sounds like a gigantic update is on the way for Strike Wing: Raptor Rising, a severely overlooked gem for space sim/dogfighting. New story missions, new enemies, new ships, etc.

It's currently underpriced at $.99 but will go up when the update hits. Highly recommended for fans of the genre.

awp69

Add Ys Chronicles to tonight's release list!

Big day for RPG fans on iOS.

....echoes through the empty halls of the GAF iOS thread...

Voidance

Color me interested for Trulon. I'm all for short RPGs, especially on my phone. Longer games tend to lose my interest and don't get completed. 6-ish hours seems like a good scope for me.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
If you guys can please have a look at Ys and see if it stealthily supports the Icade like all of DotEmu's releases

accx

Hey guys.
I've recently been enjoying a little game called "little alchemist" on my Iphone 4.
I was wondering if anyone has other suggestions that's similar? I'm not only looking for other games for my phone but PC as well. I just don't wanna bother making a new thread.
The collecting and combination metagame is actually what i like the most so i'm not really just looking for a similar card game. Any game that has similar features are welcomed.

Thanks!

Rlan

1502314_460783120763410_7426946893923076226_o.jpg

It's been a very long time coming, but finally, Halfbrick's releasing a brand new game to the world!

From the creators of Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride comes Bears vs. Art, launching WORLDWIDE on Thursday, April 30th for iOS and Android!

There has never been a better time to join Rory on his epic journey. Discover over 150 galleries with exciting puzzles around every corner. Plan your moves carefully or race the clock in timed challenges to destroy every painting on every wall!

Join us as we celebrate Bears vs. Art launch week!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
It's been a very long time coming, but finally, Halfbrick's releasing a brand new game to the world!

Indeed. I saw Luke's talk on the (already) lengthy design iteration for it in the georestricted beta last October!

Look forward to giving it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom