• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] The GTA 6 Game Engine Looks Insane - IGN's Grand Theft Auto 6 Performance Preview

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

The first GTA 6 trailer is here and we are blown away by what is being teased. The GTA 6 tech is an evolution of the Rage engine used in Red Dead Redemption 2 and today we take a GTA 6 deep dive into each frame to tell you what we think and why we’re so excited about Grand Theft Auto 6.The GTA 6 release date is 2025 on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S.

Posing Grand Theft Auto GIF

Last edited:

Senua

I'm not a 30fps guy at all but I have to agree with him that it's the right move, build the game around that target and push the tech hard which will produce stunning results fidelity wise, and can always be corrected to a proper framerate in the future with PC and console upgrades.
More educated insights from NX Gamer in the first 5 minutes than the entire 30+min DF "Tech" analysis.
Yea a nice and concise video. I miss when DF did these type vids instead of the personality approach, I think they should save for for their podcast like directs. NX really needs to upgrade his mic though it sounds so weird hearing an xbox 360 headset being used on an IGN upload.

The first GTA 6 trailer is here and we are blown away by what is being teased. The GTA 6 tech is an evolution of the Rage engine used in Red Dead Redemption 2 and today we take a GTA 6 deep dive into each frame to tell you what we think and why we’re so excited about Grand Theft Auto 6.The GTA 6 release date is 2025 on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S.

Posing Grand Theft Auto GIF

This analysis was dope.

It looks like GTA 6 has hurricanes in it (2:48)? God damn.

Last edited:

sendit

I'm not a 30fps guy at all but I have to agree with him that it's the right move, build the game around that target and push the tech hard which will produce stunning results fidelity wise, and can always be corrected to a proper framerate in the future with PC and console upgrades.

Yea a nice and concise video. I miss when DF did these type vids instead of the personality approach, I think they should save for for their podcast like directs. NX really needs to upgrade his mic though it sounds so weird hearing an xbox 360 headset being used on an IGN upload.
I would agree with targetting 30 FPS only if they did a day one PC release.

Caio

Finally a good analysis, and not that Battaglia "ego show", and yes, I won't repeat what I've already said about him.

Here we are talking about Consoles versions, and must be also considered the nature of the Game, a massive open world game with massive density of cars, people, and probably, "enterable" buildings, improved system collision and physics engine.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
GTA 6 makes Spider Man 2 look like a PS4 Game

Insane, absolutely insane what Rockstar delivers

Let's not get carried away. SM2 still has the best draw distance I've seen and even beats GTA 6 here in it's current form.

But in pretty much every other area, yes I would agree.

sendit

I'm wondering why people get upset when others ask for an un-compromised game play experience with a day 1 PC release.

Hunnybun

Its only a slideshow if your eyesight is worse than a rock

There's no need to be so strident about this. Plenty of us think 30fps looks shit because of how choppy it is. I'm one of them. Smooth motion is a component of visual fidelity, no matter how much you want to deny it.

Personally I'm not insistent on 60; 40fps seems mostly fine to me, tbh. But I don't like 30 at all, and the only reason is because to me it looks terrible. You just happen to be lucky that you're not able to appreciate the difference.

sendit

There's no need to be so strident about this. Plenty of us think 30fps looks shit because of how choppy it is. I'm one of them. Smooth motion is a component of visual fidelity, no matter how much you want to deny it.

Personally I'm not insistent on 60; 40fps seems mostly fine to me, tbh. But I don't like 30 at all, and the only reason is because to me it looks terrible. You just happen to be lucky that you're not able to appreciate the difference.
Agreed. 40 FPS with VRR is a good compromise for consoles. I would have binned Spider Man 2 if it didn't have that option. 30 FPS is rough in that game.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think NXG is kind of falling into the same trap DF did. I get being hyped about what was rendered for the trailer. It looks really nice. But I don't know that we've seen anything that indicates that gameplay is actually going to run at the same quality as what are obviously cutscenes strung together. It may be a bit too soon to be singing the praises of what this version of RAGE brings to the table in terms of in-game visuals. In-engine vs. in-game are often different. I really hope it's this quality, though.

Senua

I think NXG is kind of falling into the same trap DF did. I get being hyped about what was rendered for the trailer. It looks really nice. But I don't know that we've seen anything that indicates that gameplay is actually going to run at the same quality as what are obviously cutscenes strung together. It may be a bit too soon to be singing the praises of what this version of RAGE brings to the table in terms of in-game visuals. In-engine vs. in-game are often different. I really hope it's this quality, though.
Rockstar's track record speaks for itself in that regard

Bojji

GTA 6 makes Spider Man 2 look like a PS4 Game

Insane, absolutely insane what Rockstar delivers

Massive difference in lighting quality.

Rtgi or path tracing will be a standard next gen with good IQ and performance.

I'm personally surprised that GTA6 is using two RT techniques, it's very expensive on those consoles but if they can pull it off with visual quality shown in the trailer and stable performance then hats off to rockstar.

Top Bottom