• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Theft Auto Community Is Struggling to Cope Without a GTA 6 Release Date

Draugoth

Gold Member

GTA Fans are going crazy at the lack of news

It would be an understatement to say expectation for a Grand Theft Auto 6 release date has reached fever pitch. It would perhaps be more accurate to say expectation has shot into space and crashed into the sun — and fans are clearly struggling to cope.

The GTA community convinced itself Rockstar planned to announce the GTA 6 release date at some point this week. Then it was yesterday, October 25. That came and went. Now it’s today, October 26. So far, nothing.

Why the optimism for this week in particular? There are a number of outlandish theories put forward by members of this most avid of fanbases. Among them is Rockstar’s history of favouring October for game announcements. Rocktober, it’s called. Well, time is running out for Rockstar to say something (anything!) this month about GTA 6, which I imagine will end up being the biggest release date announcement of all time when it does finally arrive.

The burgeoning GTA 6 subreddit is littered with increasingly desperate posts from fans setting out the case for October 2023. “So this is it,” wrote Affectionate_Mall_61. “Last chance for Rocktober. Is the waiting over or do we crawl back to normal life and see again next year?”

We’re at the fake age rating, fake Metacritic page stage of the GTA 6 rumour mill. Fans are adding investor calls to their calendars, and even pointing to the lack of a pinned tweet on Rockstar’s official Twitter page as evidence the developer is up to something.

In truth, the GTA fandom has been in tatters for some time now. Earlier this month, fans thought they saw a GTA 6 tease in an image Rockstar published of the moon. Really. The developer can’t tweet a single image about GTA Online or Red Dead Online without replies drawing V and I on them. The numbers are surely there, if you look hard enough.

4iw4dK4.png
xhRgFns.png
0DoP8Js.png

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Remember the days when we'd get a new GTA every couple of years?
Remember in general when you could expect a new game in a popular franchise to come out soon as opposed to speculating and begging for release dates or even basic information from the game developers?

*Cough cough, Mario Kart, GTA, Elder Scrolls, 3D Mario in general, Pretty much all Valve franchises, Mega Man, Rhythm Heaven, etc etcough etcough*

It feels like nowadays the only games that come out consistently are shlock like Far Cry and FIFA that can be pumped out yearly with no stop

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Like for people asking for ports we have port begging, now these days we have RELEASE begging..... Look at all the dino crisis simps on this forum ffs

M.W.

They'll get an announcement next year around this time for a holiday 2025 release. Then the inevitable Rockstar delay and you're looking at spring 2026 or holiday 2026. Ways off folks.

SenkiDala

Remember the days when we'd get a new GTA every couple of years?
You know that the amount of work to make GTA3 isn't at all comparable with the work needed to accomplish GTAV ? So GTA VI is even a LOT more, it will be the biggest game ever made. And it's not about personal preferences, I like GTA a lot but I am far from being a fan, I spent like 20 minutes on the online mode.

I think some few nasty NeoGAF posts are worth getting 2 more high quality beloved Rockstar games.
It's not just here. You'd be surprised at how much negativity has been taking ahold of gaming media and communities in general. It has even been infecting the more positive outlets and larger outlets like IGN and Gamespot because they'll suddenly start making rage-bait videos and articles in order to get clicks and views.

Every big game lately except for a select few have been brigaded with 100s and 0s on user review sites, people instantly calling certain games trash because they found a couple of issues they didn't like, etc... And then there's the ones who politicize everything and use anti-woke or pro-woke as their beacon of getting views and people riled up, and the ones overseas who send death threats to developers whenever the dev didn't include their favorite digital waifu in the game...

Again, all roads lead to complaining, because the ones complaining are using gaming as a coping outlet. So having 4 GTA games every 2 years would just make people complain about GTA the same way they'd complain about CoD and Assassin's Creed. The grass always appears greener even though they've already seen both sides, like some sort of optical illusion.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's not just here. You'd be surprised at how much negativity has been taking ahold of gaming media and communities in general. It has even been infecting the more positive outlets and larger outlets like IGN and Gamespot because they'll suddenly start making rage-bait videos and articles in order to get clicks and views.

Every big game lately except for a select few have been brigaded with 100s and 0s on user review sites, people instantly calling certain games trash because they found a couple of issues they didn't like, etc... And then there's the ones who politicize everything and use anti-woke or pro-woke as their beacon of getting views and people riled up, and the ones overseas who send death threats to developers whenever the dev didn't include their favorite digital waifu in the game...

Again, all roads lead to complaining, because the ones complaining are using gaming as a coping outlet. So having 4 GTA games every 2 years would just make people complain about GTA the same way they'd complain about CoD and Assassin's Creed. The grass always appears greener even though they've already seen both sides, like some sort of optical illusion.
Dawg i just want 2 GTA games every 10 years 😭

Shubh_C63

I was there when entire Elden Ring reddit community went crazy and was "hollowed" at the lack of news. That was pretty fun FROM even acknowledging that.

Hoping GTA 6 campaign is not empty fields simulator.

DavidGzz

They are the reason we aren't getting any news. Why hype the next game when they are throwing money at micros in GTA5? May as well wait until it's almost out.

Gaming has been seeming really empty without a GTA game in a decade. Those games practically defined gaming in the last twenty years.

K2D

Banned
2. of november. It's happening.gif..!

From "Moon festival"- bleet tweet earlier from Rockstar.
CNiuO7c.jpg

Next corresponding moon phase over Miami:

It's batshit insanity, but atleast it will be over and done with for a while.

Last edited:

Kerotan

The R* community is getting fucked in the ass so bad it's not even funny. Not even a whiff of a new GTA after over 10 years. No GTA 4 remaster, a shitty ps2 trilogy remaster and no RDR2 next Gen port or proper online support .

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm confident we'll get a trailer before the end of the year with a 2024 release.

Not even sure what there would be to get excited about; Rockstar hasn’t met a single original release date for any of their games outside of remasters and DLC for the past 15 years.

Paulxo87

Games taking upwards of a decade to release is not sustainable. Something will have to give. My guess is that AI will have to be leveraged in a major way to shorten dev times

Games taking upwards of a decade to release is not sustainable. Something will have to give. My guess is that AI will have to be leveraged in a major way to shorten dev times
While I agree with your overall point, GTA is the one example where it is completely sustainable for 10+ years of development. GTA 6 could cross 1 billion in sales in the first day of release. That would pretty offset all production and marketing costs

Top Bottom