• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 6 breaks YouTube records - The launch trailer has reached over 144 million views

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Grand-Theft-Auto-6-main-characters.jpg

Grand Theft Auto 6 has become the most-viewed new game trailer on YouTube.

The first-look at Grand Theft Auto's latest instalment has reached over 144 million times since it first went live last week.

YouTube also revealed that content creators and the gaming community have generated over 250 million views on GTA 6 related content.

The company said the trailer reached 93 million views in 24 hours, confirming data shared with GamesIndustry.biz last week that it racked up 96.8 million views in just over nine hours.

"The Grand Theft Auto series has been at the epicentre of entertainment for decades and we expect the YouTube community and its creators to reach new heights for years to come with Grand Theft Auto 6," said Leo Olebe, global head of YouTube Gaming.

He added: "Setting this new all-time record is a testament to the cultural impact of the series."

Grand Theft Auto Gta GIF

Gta V Party GIF

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's expected but I wouldn't say the contents of the trailer is worthy of such a record.
It's simply because it's GTA.
let's hope it lives up to it's name and the hype and people don't blindly buy it based on the last game.......
Perry Cox Laughing GIF by HULU

It's expected but I wouldn't say the contents of the trailer is worthy of such a record.
It's simply because it's GTA.
let's hope it lives up to it's name and the hype and people don't blindly buy it based on the last game.......
Perry Cox Laughing GIF by HULU
GTA 6 could be a reskinned GTA 5 with better graphics and it would still be better than any other open world sandbox besides RDR2. That's how far ahead they are in the genre, it's crazy

K2D

Banned
80 percent of those viewers were probably underage at time of gtav release 10 years ago.

GTA is of the same vein as CoD, Minecraft and fortnite, although in a league of it's own. Introduction to the games are inherited from brother to brother, uncle to nephew, father to son, etc...

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I don't get the hype at this stage... Zero gameplay shown, it's a trailer made of "iconic" Florida moments remade in CGI. It's the digital equivalent of watching paint dry, since I don't play cutscenes, and cutscenes graphics ≠ gameplay graphics more often than not.

SNPlayen

I don't get the hype at this stage... Zero gameplay shown, it's a trailer made of "iconic" Florida moments remade in CGI. It's the digital equivalent of watching paint dry, since I don't play cutscenes, and cutscenes graphics ≠ gameplay graphics more often than not.
It’s in engine not CGI and I expect the game to look better than RDR2 which is already a stunner

Jakk

Not CGI, it's running real-time. R* also uses real-time cutscenes, so yes, cutscene graphics = gameplay graphics.

Schmendrick

Not CGI, it's running real-time. R* also uses real-time cutscenes, so yes, cutscene graphics = gameplay graphics.
lol no.
Real time cutscenes very often use different asset quality and density levels as well as a different lighting quality in comparison to the actual game.
Rockstar hasn`t been the worst offender in that regard, but taking anything but actual 3rd party hands-on gameplay at face value is stupid nonetheless especially when talking about a game that`s ~2 years away where you know for a fact that everything seen was handmade for maximum PR/Hype effect....

Last edited:

Jakk

lol no.
Real time cutscenes very often use different asset quality and density levels as well as a different lighting quality in comparison to the actual game.
Rockstar hasn`t been the worst offender in that regard, but taking anything but actual 3rd party hands-on gameplay at face value is stupid nonetheless especially when talking about a game that`s ~2 years away where you know for a fact that everything seen was handmade for maximum PR/Hype effect....
lol yes.
I never said it's going to look 100% like the trailer, the main point is that it's not CGI as the OP said. Sure, there may be some downgrades here and there, but go take a look at RDR II trailers, I would argue the final game looks even better.

As for the cutscenes, I can see no substantial difference between them and gameplay in both GTA V and RDR II, so I see no reason to expect anything else for GTA VI. Also, regarding the statement that only 3rd party hands-on gameplay matters, I would once again recommend you look at RDR II trailers. They also released official gameplay videos for both GTA V and RDR II, I take it you haven't seen them, because the final product looks even better in some areas.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

lol yes.
I never said it's going to look 100% like the trailer, the main point is that it's not CGI as the OP said. Sure, there may be some downgrades here and there, but go take a look at RDR II trailers, I would argue the final game looks even better.

As for the cutscenes, I can see no substantial difference between them and gameplay in both GTA V and RDR II, so I see no reason to expect anything else for GTA VI. Also, regarding the statement that only 3rd party hands-on gameplay matters, I would once again recommend you look at RDR II trailers. They also released official gameplay videos for both GTA V and RDR II, I take it you haven't seen them, because the final product looks even better in some areas.
So much text just to say "believe!".

Jakk

So much text just to say "believe!".
I wouldn't say two paragraphs is "so much text", but since you completely missed the point, I guess you have some reading comprehension issues, so I'm not going to hold it against you. The point was not to "believe!", but to watch their previous trailers and compare them to the final product.

Schmendrick

I wouldn't say two paragraphs is "so much text", but since you completely missed the point, I guess you have some reading comprehension issues, so I'm not going to hold it against you. The point was not to "believe!", but to watch their previous trailers and compare them to the final product.
If you have no facts to back anything up except "my beloved RS is not like all the other guys.... at least they were not half a decade ago" better go ad hominem. So mature.
Joe Biden Congrats GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:

Jakk

If you have no facts to back anything up except "my beloved RS is not like all the other guys.... at least they were not half a decade ago" better go ad hominem. So mature.
Joe Biden Congrats GIF by GIPHY News
So me pointing out the fact that pretty much all their previous trailers have been indicative of the visual fidelity of the final product somehow constitues no facts. Wonder what "facts" have you presented, then. And yeah, maybe you missed it, but their last game (RDR II) was released half a decade ago. I'm not sure what else should be used as a benchmark for setting expectations if not their last game, maybe you can enlighten me.

And as I said before, I was replying to the OP, who said the trailer was CGI, which simply isn't true. As for the supposed "ad hominem", I'm not sure what else should I say when someone feels like two short paragraphs is so much text and also completely misses the point, sorry.

Schmendrick

So me pointing out the fact that pretty much all their previous trailers have been indicative of the visual fidelity of the final product somehow constitues no facts. Wonder what "facts" have you presented, then. And yeah, maybe you missed it, but their last game (RDR II) was released half a decade ago. I'm not sure what else should be used as a benchmark for setting expectations if not their last game, maybe you can enlighten me.

And as I said before, I was replying to the OP, who said the trailer was CGI, which simply isn't true. As for the supposed "ad hominem", I'm not sure what else should I say when someone feels like two short paragraphs is so much text and also completely misses the point, sorry.
The only facts presented here are in my initial reply to you. There are no technological boundaries that would make an in-engine/game cutscene automatically representative of the actual minute to minute gameplay/visuals and in most cases they simply aren`t.. How much exactly you "cheat" in those scenes is up to the developer and I already acknowledged that R* has been relatively true to their promises in the past (guess you just decided to ignore that).
But the past is the past and taking PR material so far out at face value is stupid, period.
You seem to not know the difference between a "(extrapolated from past experiences with a developer) guess" and "fact" hence my "believe!" reply to your "i do have facts (you don`t)" hogwash :)

Last edited:

Jakk

The only facts presented here are in my initial reply to you. There are no technological boundaries that would make an in-engine/game cutscene automatically representative of the actual minute to minute gameplay/visuals and in most cases they simply aren`t.. How much exactly you "cheat" in those scenes is up to the developer and I already acknowledged that R* has been relatively true to their promises in the past (guess you just decided to ignore that).
But the past is the past and taking PR material so far out at face value is stupid, period.
You seem to not know the difference between a "(extrapolated from past experiences with a developer) guess" and "fact" hence my "believe!" reply to your "i do have facts (you don`t)" hogwash :)
Well okay, but I don't get what's your problem then, when even you admit R* has been relatively true to their promises. As I said two times already, I was replying to the OP who said the trailer is CGI, which isn't true.

Top Bottom