• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If all future PS5 games were to be ported to PC within 2 years would you sell your PS5

If all future PS5 games were to be ported to PC within 2 years would you sell your PS5

• Yes I would sell my PS5 or i was planning to get one but won't anymore

Votes: 78 12.3%
  • No it doesn't bother me still will play on PS5

Votes: 450 70.9%
  • I don't have a PS5 or wasn't planning to get a PS5 anyways

Votes: 107 16.9%

• Total voters

8BiTw0LF

Banned
ain't nobody got time for that GIF

And pay $50 to play old PS4 games years later. Such a great value :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Do you know what i wonder?
How many people that bought Days Gone and Horizon on PC had previously bought the same games on PS4 and simply double dipped. Has Sony ever mentioned about this? Or can they even have data about this? Probably not...

I have a feeling a good part of their PC audience could be people that bought them on PS4 and then again to replay them with ultra graphics. Not the majority obviously, but it could be a nice %.

I don't get the outrage for this. More sales, healthier studios, possibly more teams and games coming out faster from each studio. We all win.

yazenov

I think there is potential overlap but I think the PC market being crazy overpriced due to miners and chip supply issues has slowed down PC gaming alot.

Yes the casual COD and FIFA players will still be gaming on consoles. But those players only buy few games a year where as the gamer who plays a ton of games that potential loss of more revenue to lose these type of gamers to PC.

But like I said PC gaming is way too expensive in this day an age but if it does ever get cheaper I think there is risk of losing some people to PC gaming or people who own both to just stick to PC only.

Im sure Sony made a calculated risk of releasing games on PC for maximizing profit by introducing its games to a wider audience at the potential and unlikely minimum risk of loosing existing consumers to PC.

As the poll has demonstrated on a hardcore gaming forum, the risk of pushing existing consumers away from their ecosystem is minute.

And yes, like you said, the current PC prices will only discourage people from leaving the console space. The current PS5 prices to Specs value is a steal IMO.

KAL2006

Banned
Im sure Sony made a calculated risk of releasing games on PC for maximizing profit by introducing its games to a wider audience at the potential and unlikely minimum risk of loosing existing consumers to PC.

As the poll has demonstrated on a hardcore gaming forum, the risk of pushing existing consumers away from their ecosystem is minute.

And yes, like you said, the current PC prices will only discourage people from leaving the console space. The current PS5 prices to Specs value is a steal IMO.

2 years is the perfect timeframe.

Year 1 the new hot game FOMO buyers
Year 2 GotY edition it's on sale
Ywar 3 PC port

ethomaz

Banned
Release Days Gone on PC to bait PC users to oh wait?
To makes petitions and flood Sony’s Twitter asking for a sequel 🤣

The bait only works for successful games that have planned sequels… for these others considered failures they will release to get more money from it.

Last edited:

Neff

No because my PS5 is much more powerful than my PC and PCs are a pain in the arse

Also I'm not waiting 2 years to play PlayStation games when I can just buy them at release

FunkMiller

Nope. I like to sit on a comfy couch to play games. Also, console gaming is just far less problematic. I have a gaming laptop for any games not on PlayStation, but mainly play on my Ps5. See no reason to change right now.

MonarchJT

Banned
PC given the nature of its hardware will have always the best version of any Xbox or PS5 game (unless intentionally crippled) but this does not change the cards in play. Those who chose the console over the PC from the beginning did so for its innate simplicity or for an economic factor. Things haven't changed

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I generally prefer the crash free console experience, however the thought of one device to play PS5 and Series X games is nice. That said graphics cards are too much for this to make sense right now, this could change in a couple of years. Maybe next gen if this is a thing?

KAL2006

Banned
I generally prefer the crash free console experience, however the thought of one device to play PS5 and Series X games is nice. That said graphics cards are too much for this to make sense right now, this could change in a couple of years. Maybe next gen if this is a thing?

I haven't played on PC in years. Is it really a crash/bug ridden experience. I thought nowadays PC ports are decent enough.

xrnzaaas

Hell no, buying a PS5 is still a much better deal than buying a good PC which will cost a fortune these days. And I don't need ultra graphics or raytracing. If more people play these games - good for them.

Last edited:

Gold Member
Nah no chance, friends are on console. I have a pretty healthy Steam library already (was a PC gamer for about 20yrs) but haven’t played on there in a long time. With the way prices are now, I can’t see myself going back either.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
No. But I'll probably happily double (triple or quadruple in some cases) dip on some of these if they play nicely on Steam Deck.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yeap it makes sense.

Release Horizon 1 on PC to bait some PC gamers to PS5 to play Horizon 2.

Release GoW on PC to bait some PC users to PS5 to play Ragnarok.

Win win.
Yup. I can see some gamers not wanting to wait 2-3 years to play these sequels. I think it's a very sound strategy

Dr Bass

What if I told you I already sold my PS5, but not for this reason? :messenger_tongue:

I work with computers all day. I've never really liked playing PC games, though I used to in the past. Just felt too much like like using work tools for fun. I prefer the ease of use of consoles, and I'm sure I always will.

Ellery

No way. Also 2 years is a pretty long time and there are a lot of Playstation exclusives that are just too good to wait 2 additional years for them. It may sound stupid for some people, but there is a certain magic to playing Playstation games right away (or any newly released games that are graphically impressive regardless of platform, but most of those are on Playstation anyway).

I also don't mind if those games come to PC two years later. The more people buy them (especially single player games) the more money they get and the more they can invest in their next Playstation exclusive games. I wish Nintendo would do the same.

Skifi28

Even if I did manage to find a reasonably priced GPU to upgrade which I doubt, I'd probably still play mostly on PS5. There's just something about having dedicated gaming hardware that feels right. Closing the VPN for work and then opening a game on the same machine just doesn't feel as relaxing.

Edit: Having games instantly play and work is also a big bonus. I don't have much patience for troubleshooting these days and I find the whole concept of launching launchers from launchers in order to launch games more ridiculous by the day.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Got a PS5 day one and have a nice gaming PC. I'll still play Sony games on my PS5. Love the dualsense, my Yamaha amplifier and my big oled TV :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Na.. why would I wait for a PC port when I can just play it on PS5? I can play it on PC too if I want but I won't deprive myself of having access to games and waiting for ports.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Nah, if they're games I'm really interested in I'd still wanna play them ASAP. Two years is a long time, especially with games.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

I'm ok with mid-range pc for work/studies and consoles for games only.
if both MS and Sony consoles stop BC altogether I may consider PC only.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A big part of the appeal of a console is that its a different sort of device to a PC. Out the box, its built for purpose.

PC's are great, but you can't directly replicate that pick-up-and-play experience. And the truth is why would you want to when the greatest strength of PC is its versatility? You have tons of settings and options to refine your experience, and then there's the modding scene and all those benefits on top.

Nope. Also, my suspicion is Sony is going to move to a 6 month to one and a half year timed exclusivity period between PS5 releases and PC releases. In this generation I believe we will see God of War Ragnarock, Horizon Forbidden West, Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine all make it to PC.

KAL2006

Banned
A big part of the appeal of a console is that its a different sort of device to a PC. Out the box, its built for purpose.

PC's are great, but you can't directly replicate that pick-up-and-play experience. And the truth is why would you want to when the greatest strength of PC is its versatility? You have tons of settings and options to refine your experience, and then there's the modding scene and all those benefits on top.

I'd argue things are starting to be less clear.

Although PC gaming has so much versatility, you can just buy a game and play it, most recent games have autoconfiguratuon that give you a reccomended setting when scanning your computer. You have big picture mode, Valve is even going to expand that with Steam Deck. PC can be as complex as you want as well as simple as you want.

With console gaming, you now have patches, updates for games and even the system and controller. Games now starting to give more options like performance and graphics modes. Yes console gaming is very simple but I can see a few things from PC gaming starting to appear from consoles. Even the consoles themselves are starting to look PC like they are not nice small boxes anymore. The PS5 is a quote big and doesn't fit in every cabinet.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd argue things are starting to be less clear.

Not to a non-techie they aren't.

Consoles are always going to be simpler devices because their basic scope of usage is so much narrower.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

Nope. Console eco system is much better then PC. Family members don't have to buy the same game multiple times.
Single store versus multiple stores. The possibility to play confurtably seated on a couch on a 65 inch TV. And all this for half the price of a PC.
So, nope...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
NO !
Wtf am I going to wait 2 years to still pay full price for a 2 years old game ?!
Miss all the hype and day one myster, spoil most of the game ... only to play in pain and misery of pc for way more money (lol, yes I have 3080... fe!)
From now on, if a game comes out same day on ps5 and pc, I am considering ps5 version. I always make the same mistake and go for pc version which have some trouble and makes me spend too much time not playing.

But back to the question - I might double dip if the port uses my pc well enough but for most part, I want to play day 1

Top Bottom