• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If all future PS5 games were to be ported to PC within 2 years would you sell your PS5

If all future PS5 games were to be ported to PC within 2 years would you sell your PS5

• Yes I would sell my PS5 or i was planning to get one but won't anymore

Votes: 78 12.3%
  • No it doesn't bother me still will play on PS5

Votes: 450 70.9%
  • I don't have a PS5 or wasn't planning to get a PS5 anyways

Votes: 107 16.9%

• Total voters

executor

Reason I play on console is that I don’t play on PC. Always hated the GPU race when coming to games and prefer a fixed architecture as target for engines so that minimal performances are at least expected. Btw I write 3d engines for work (pc etc but not in the gaming area) so maybe I’m biased…

Robb

Gold Member
I voted no. I don’t think that would change even if all Sony/MS/Nintendo games launched day and date in PC. I just prefer playing on the TV with a controller and the streamlined interfaces/OS.

Banned
I voted no. I don’t think that would change even if all Sony/MS/Nintendo games launched day and date in PC. I just prefer playing on the TV with a controller and the streamlined interfaces/OS.

I mean you can accomplish that with a PC too with a bit of work. you can set it up so that your PC always launches into Steam Big Picture mode for example and you can shut down the PC from weithin Steam Big Picture as well.

OzZptV1.png

with the release of the Steam Deck Valve will also launch a completely overhauled version of Big Picture mode that is even more streamlined and console like.

steam-deck-giochi-supporto-fisico-parla-valve-v3-531336.jpg

so basically what I'm saying it that you could buy a PC, set it up to work almost exactly like a console and have better quality versions of games.
all games nowadays support Xbox and Playstation controllers, even the DualSense gets more and more native support on PC

I mean, you could even go so far and install Steam OS, which will also be way better with the new version that launches with the Steam Deck and will be very streamlined and low profile (it has to be since the low end hardware of the Steam Deck needs to run well with it after all)

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
with a bit of work
Yeah I know it’s possible, and to be fair I have never tried that setup. I think I’m just to lazy to bother with it and frankly I’d rather have a Ps5/Xbox/Switch by my TV than a PC.

I’m not sure if me and my friends are outliers, but none of us have a dedicated PC rig at home. If I need to use a PC I just use the laptop I have for work. I wouldn’t want to have a larger PC at home to be honest. But that’s all just personal preference.

Banned
Yeah I know it’s possible, and to be fair I have never tried that setup. I think I’m just to lazy to bother with it and frankly I’d rather have a Ps5/Xbox/Switch by my TV than a PC.

I’m not sure if me and my friends are outliers, but none of us have a dedicated PC rig at home. If I need to use a PC I just use the laptop I have for work. I wouldn’t want to have a larger PC at home to be honest. But that’s all just personal preference.

you can get relatively small PCs nowadays, and also... my PC is not that much bigger than my PS5 lol, and I have a PS5, Switch and Series X hooked up to the TV. 1 PC takes up way less space than that for sure :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

John Wick

Two years? That is like an eternity in gaming. While you wait for the current games by which time will be old news and even better games will be released. No chance something like this affects PlayStation.

Graciaus

2 years is nothing. Use to have to wait for working emulators. PC has more games then all consoles combined. Your backlog would be massive anyway.

Had no intention of buying a console and I won't.

octiny

Banned
Yeap it makes sense.

Release Horizon 1 on PC to bait some PC gamers to PS5 to play Horizon 2.

Release GoW on PC to bait some PC users to PS5 to play Ragnarok.

Win win.

This weird narrative keeps being pushed as a coping mechanism for Sony releasing games on PC.

Someone who is buying GoW now on PC didn't care enough to buy a PS4 for it in the first place. They also won't care if they have to wait another few years to play the best version of it's sequel. The pre-orders of GoW speak for themselves. They rather wait while playing thousands & thousand of games in the mean time than buy a console to play the inferior version on release.

PC & console gamers have different prerogatives. For the same reason people prefer console gaming to PC & vice versa. Sony knows this, that's why they are following MS footsteps into the PC realm. They want that PC market cheddar, nothing more, nothing less.

Gold Member
Especially with offline single player games. Doesn't really matter if you don't play it til 2 years later, it's not like an online multiplayer game where the population has died and you now can't play it.

Friends being on a different console/platform doesn't really matter much these days thankfully. For single player games it never mattered, for multiplayer almost everything is cross platform now.
Not all games are cross platform though. And sometimes we are playing different games but party up for a chat. Even if I’m playing a single player game, I’m in a party chat most of the time. We usually switch cross play off tbh.

My group isn’t all about MP or even gaming, it’s an actual friend group IRL. We chew the fat, get drunk and play games together. Which is more important to me than better graphics :messenger_winking:

Cyborg

How can anyone wait for two (or longer) years to play a game that they really really want, insanity. A lot of PC gamers have a PS5 or XSX. I think this move is for the PC gamers that play only on that platform and it's a smart move from Sony.

Kaachan

Nah, it's just two different things for me. In general I think playing on PS5 is more immersive. You might have a surround system up hooked up to the TV and perhaps somebody by your side on the couch to share the experience.
It all comes down to preference. Some games are meant for chill on the couch, others for PC

Edit: Just to be clear, PC as in chair + desk mode lol

Last edited:
Technically its a no for me...well its just structure of PC and PS5 due I\O system is different(meanwhile on PS4 games can be easily ported to PC) 2 to 3 years is short for it mostly I could see 3 to 5 years for port that is PS5 exclusive if those games used so much that system

Yep there is SSD on PC too but I could feel some ps5 exclusive games that ported on PC could lead more loading times

But PS4 yup its easy to port it

T-Cake

I love the trophies too much to give up PS gaming. I will double dip though - buy the game digitally once on PS5 and then again on Steam in a sale later on. It's kind of foolish as I barely play the Steam library but it's like a compulsion to just keep buying things there. GabeN has me by the nuts.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Many PS5 games didnt run at natives 4K

On PC you can do that ( even you can play on your living room if you want to)

Games on PS5 : $60-70

Games on PC : $5 or cheaper on steam sales

Online on PS5 : Pay for PS+

Online on PC : free

What else are you waiting for

Last edited:

shubik

never ever would SONY cannibalize its own market with such a decision. They will continue to port some older games to widen the audience for an upcoming sequel that will be exclusive to the PS5. And that's perfectly fine for me. I don´t have a PC and I have no interest in getting one purely for gaming.

KAL2006

Banned
Like i said earlier initially pc gaming are more expensive ( when you built/ buy a gaming pc compared to $500 ps5)

But in the long run you pc gaming will be cheaper than ps5 due to cheaper game price and free online

It depends. I'd argue if you buy physical on PS5 games can be cheaper as you can borrow and resell games.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No. A really decent rig, complete with a monitor as well is going to cost me north of £2k.

A PS5 is a lot cheaper. Why would I get rid of a PS5 to drop a huge amount of money on a PC to play the same games?

TonyK

I've been a PC player all PS4 era but now I can't return to PC. I simply ended tired of tiny problems almost all games have. I don't want to configure RTSS to fix frame pacing, discover a problem of texture loading not present in consoles, shitty ports, bad optimizations, etc. They are not difficult to fix, but I prefer the perfect accessibility of consoles.

Also, I can't return to a device that doesn't allow suspend mode for games. Something present in all consoles but not in PC.

Soosa

Banned
If Playstation games will come to platform x after years, why would anybody care? Weird question.

If playstation would not have exclusives anymore, like xbox. Aka all/most games would be released on ps5 + pc day one -> I would care a bit, because then it could/would mean that games would be worse than real exclusives tailored for one system only.

But if playstation exclusives are exclusives for years and tailored for only one system (PS5), but then after years they are ported to potentially worse platform (PC), why would I care, when game quality stays the same?

I dont have gaming PC, but assuming I had one -> I would still play games on console mostly, as it is more convenient, easier to coop games with friends, and console games are cheaper than PC games (assuming buying physical games and selling them after some weeks for 0-20€ loss, or buying them used after few weeks and selling or keeping)

One reason I have not bought Series x is that xbox doesnt have exclusives, so their games are worse than they could be, if there would not be series s that is sitting on stores gathering dust, they have been available since the launch here and/or huge pc ecosystem with snail slow and super fast systems, because with identical resources game is probably better when tailored for one system vs tailored for many systems.

So yes, releasing games for console+pc affects my consumerism, but only if games are released simultaneously on multiple platforms and I get the feeling, that game isnt as good as it would be as real exclusive.

Last edited:

CuNi

But if playstation exclusives are exclusives for years and tailored for only one system (PS5), but then after years they are ported to potentially worse platform (PC), why would I care, when game quality stays the same?

LOL what?
PC isn't and wasn't a worse platform.
If PC was the worse platform, and the very same games without reduced or changed gameplay mechanics release on that platform, doesn't that then by definition imply that the pc is as good as the og platform.. So in your words the OG platform is bad too. Which it isn't.

Just because games don't release day 1 on a specific platform doesn't mean it's a bad platform. Sony is not withholding the games for years because PC is unable to play them day 1 but because Sony wants to incentivise people into joining their ecosystem and thus generating more money down the road.

Denton

Vast majority of people who buy consoles buy them for convenience and price, with exclusives being least important aspect (and they really are only important in choosing WHICH console to get). Both Sony and MS could release all their games on PC day one and it would not have any significant impact on their console sales. Mainstream mass market does what mainstream mass market does.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The best setup today, is having a gaming PC and a PS5. The PC have Game Pass and emulators to run Switch and almost everything else.
If you have the money to upgrade to a 3070 or above and want to wait 2-4 years for every PlayStation exclusive, PC (only) is an option.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Your PC hardware will also be obsolete in a much narrower timespan. Try running Days Gone on a PC from 2013.
If you have high end card right now it shouldve last at least 6-7 years just like console cycle you dont have to replace every year

Last edited:

manzo

If you have high end card right now it shouldve last at least 6-7 years just like console cycle you dont have to replace every year

A high end card together with a PC build costs now roughly little shy of 2000 euros. The sales on consoles are quite close to PC sales these days too (I pretty much only buy the 75% off games these days), so the PC games prices don't have such a big difference anymore.

Except even with PS for 10 years, a PS5 will be much cheaper than even just that high end card of yours (presuming a high end card is a 3080 or 3090).

It only depends what you do and what you need. If you really want those added cream layers on top for the graphics, that might be enough to justify that 1000€ + price tag versus a console during it's lifespan. We all have different needs and wants. I can do everything I need on a PC with my laptop that gets a brand new model every 3 years. Of course, if you're streaming, doing video or whatever "productive" on the PC that's not spreadsheets and word, then it's of course good to have games and other needs at one place only for convinience.

To be perfectly honest, paying over 1000 euros more for the shit that AAA is these days feels such a shit incentive that I've given up on PC gaming altogether. Pouring sprinkles on shit still makes it taste like shit.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Well, if I created a thread that said: "If every Xbox game is on PC will I need to buy a Series X/S console?" I would be banned most definitely.

That aside, this is a stupid comparison, consoles have different purposes than the PC, one does not substitute the other.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
nah PC's simply cannot compete on both price and ease of use with a PS5, when everyone fucks upto bed or the wife just wants to read beside me on the couch i can grab my controller hit a button, tv switches over and be gaming in no time... fuck am i going to go sit at some desk haunched over a monitor in the basement playing some lawnmower sim when i can be playing the latest Naughty Dog game ;-) and before the mods send me a warning for console warring... ITS A FUCKING JOKE!

BlackTron

There are a lot of games available on both PC and PS4 that my GTX 1060 can technically run a bit better than my PS4 Pro.

I play them on PS4 anyway because I prefer them as a console game.

CyberChulo

Nope, there's always something waiting to happen on a computer where it will make me need to do research to get it to work properly.

KAL2006

Banned
Your PC hardware will also be obsolete in a much narrower timespan. Try running Days Gone on a PC from 2013.

It's about timing. The trick is to build a year after next gen console release. That system should last you the entire generation easily.

And if your not crazy about always picking max settings and native resolution then it should last more than 7 years.we also have DLLS now that should make these PCs lifespan much longer.

KAL2006

Banned
No. A really decent rig, complete with a monitor as well is going to cost me north of £2k.

A PS5 is a lot cheaper. Why would I get rid of a PS5 to drop a huge amount of money on a PC to play the same games?

You cannot include a monitor in the price. That's like saying a PS5 needs a TV. Also you can connect a PC to your TV.

Anyways you are right it's not worth buying a PC if you can't get a GPU at retail price. But if you can get one at retail price by following Telegram groups like I got mine it would cost about £1200 to get decent rig that will last you a long time. PS5 is £450, but the game prices are way more expensive, and PSN Plus account for an entire gen will be just over £300.

KAL2006

Banned
One reason I'd stick to console gaming is if I prefer competitive shooters with a controller and less cheaters.

Luckily I'm not into competitive shooters whether it's mouse or controller. I will play my singleplayer shooters with a controller on PC though.

So I can see that as the biggest reason to stick to consoles some gamers.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I unfortunately have a 2013 PC with a 1060GTX, which won't support Windows 11 so l have no choice but to rebuild a new PC.

So there's value in the PS5 that people whom buy these consoles (Series X or PS5) may or may not realise.

You don't need to dig deep to see there's quite a cost disparity between a new PC and PS5.

Go look at the price of a 3060 GTX GPU (comparable performance to PS5) and you'll note the GPU alone is the price of a PS5.

Right now l wouldn't consider buying PC versions. I also want some of these games day 1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom