• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am absolutely baffled (Fuck All Haters)

source.gif

Everything said in the OP is spot on. Unless Sony has a second salvo prior to release, I think the XBox Games Event will be remembered as the day XBox surpassed PlayStation. They now have a small lead. Let's see what they do with it.
So you are saying Xbox's shinning moment is when they revealed they lied about making cross gen games for two years, because the only 1st party game they are releasing for Series X is Halo? That they lied about being consumer friendly, because there wasn't any next gen games from Microsoft in the two years they said they will support Xbox1S?
That new games wouldn't be held back by supporting XboxOneS, because all the new games are too far out to actually be in the cross gen window?

If that is what you are cheering, i feel bad for you. Because clearly you don't have much to cheer about.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So you are saying Xbox's shinning moment is when they revealed they lied about making cross gen games for two years, because the only 1st party game they are releasing for Series X is Halo? That they lied about being consumer friendly, because there wasn't any next gen games from Microsoft in the two years they said they will support Xbox1S?
That new games wouldn't be held back by supporting XboxOneS, because all the new games are too far out to actually be in the cross gen window?

If that is what you are cheering, i feel bad for you. Because clearly you don't have much to cheer about.

No.

Their shinning moment was when they showed a lineup with more interesting games than PlayStation, and bolstered GamePass to ludicrous levels.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The interesting games, the next gen ones, are as far away as the next Bethesda RPG. We will see how many of them actually make it to launch, let along if they are any good.

True. They are far away.

But when's the last time MS had a bevy of announced games that could compete with (imo superior) to Sony's?

Certain people focusing on the Craig meme for a reason.

Tectonic plates are shifting.

DryvBy

Because not everyone thinks the stuff they showed was exciting? Maybe gameplay was something we wanted to see to show off those 12 TFlops that MS and fanboys kept saying was going to be mind blowing during this conference?

Their conference was supposed to make everyone want to get an Xbox Series X and you wouldn't think the system was coming out until 2022 at earliest with this conference. It's also difficult to get excited with their games because who knows if the games will ever come out or be good. This last gen with Microsoft first party has been a joke.

Nickolaidas

Gamers can be very cruel, vocal and ridicule anything that they don’t like, but when you constantly hype up a huge, important event only to not deliver on what was promised, you are going to inevitably get a huge backlash. Look how crazy people acted with the Last of Us 2. Death threats, review bombing, ripping the disc in half, wanting to jump off a bridge, etc because they didn’t agree with the story, writing or decisions made.

Now imagine how people act with a new, potentially expensive console that supposed to be introducing a new era in the video game industry. I feel it’s mostly because the expectations were astronomically high for the Series X, Halo and the games. CG trailers, lack of surprises and not much gameplay probably left a REALLY bad impression. Gamers felt like Microsoft didn’t come through with all the time they had, promises, acquisitions and mega-hype for the world’s most powerful console. Sure, it can be unfair, but first impressions are normally the most important unfortunately. Hopefully, they can turn this mess around and get back on track, but I’m not sure if a lot of people will be on board with Microsoft’s new direction and strategy. We’ll see.
Overpromising most definitely played a factor here. XSX wasted no chance to throw shade at the PS5 and claim they've got the bigger dick. When they showed the Halo demo, it was basically blood in the water for the Sony fans.
Which game was CGI at Sonys conference?
Anything that looked better than XSX games. :messenger_tongue:

Err, no, you feel no franchise fatigue at all in God of War, it was a total reboot and an absolute masterpiece.

Yes I know it was goofball. I was making fun of the guy that saying the Xbox games are franchised fatigue. Please have a better rrading comprehersion before you fucking reply. Oh wait. This is neogaf.

tryDEATH

Peoples narrative that Xbox doesn't have games just evaporated into thin air with that showcase, so now you will have certain people try to conjure up another narrative to paint Xbox in a negative light. Once the Craig meme dies off there is not going to be anything else to poke fun at and people will start to change their opinion slowly about Xbox and the phenomenal games that are coming.

You just got to give them time.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
People saying both are good, are the worst. That's what keeps MS games at such a low level. This Kumbaya talk ain't what is going to create good games. People talk so much about how good competition is but you can't compare them? I want MS to at least try.

We are at year 6 and counting of MS promising and never delivering and now people are going to be impressed by a show that consist mostly of a bad looking flagship game and a bunch imaterial promises? Let's get real, it was bad.
This is all bullshit in my opinion. Xbox is doing what they do, which isnt following Sony. I, for one, am glad they aren't. If you want Sony games, get a Sony console. Sony games have no sway with me because their all the same. I'd rather diverse games from different genres. They don't need to all be photo realistic like the ones you find on Sonys platform.

To say Xbox doesn't have great games in subjective AF. If you dance to Sony's drum, that's cool! Go for it! But that means nothing for those who prefer Xbox offerings. My two cents..

Freeman

Banned
This is all bullshit in my opinion. Xbox is doing what they do, which isnt following Sony. I, for one, am glad they aren't. If you want Sony games, get a Sony console. Sony games have no sway with me because their all the same. I'd rather diverse games from different genres. They don't need to all be photo realistic like the ones you find on Sonys platform.

To say Xbox doesn't have great games in subjective AF. If you dance to Sony's drum, that's cool! Go for it! But that means nothing for those who prefer Xbox offerings. My two cents..
Just as subjective as saying that both have great games and claiming people that are not satisfied are haters. As a publisher MS lineup is terrible, they are on the same tier as EA/Ubi for me, possibly even worst.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I agree with the OP. As a PC gamer who will get to play all of this without buying an expensive, dust-collecting box I am excited for these games. Who cares that there was little gameplay shown? That will happen when they start marketing those titles. They ran an hour long video that showed well over a dozen games while trying to give a little intro to the studios. People were complaining about it immediately. It just seems that hate and anger are the default settings for fans in almost any setting.

Iced Arcade

Was an ok show, no better no worse than Sony's. Should be a rule in place where you are only allowed to show games that are in a 2 year window.

They shouldn't have shown halo in that state though.

Gavon West

Well, just focusing on MS's latest event, my frustration's more with the fact:

1: None of the games were running on an actual Series X devkit

2: None of the 1st-party games shown besides Halo Infinite had much any gameplay (the only ones that had some like Avowed were
pseudo-gameplay which I definitely hope the final game can match) aside from Halo Infinite.

3: Speaking of Halo Infinite, while it looked fun enough for me the visual presentation, considering what it represents for Xbox as a brand and for MS going into next gen, did NOT hit the right notes in being a showstopper visually with the in-game graphics. I mean we have a meme around it FFS, people outside of the core fanbase are talking more about the meme than hyped for the game!

I felt like this was the event for MS to truly shut up the "haters", make up for lack of gameplay at the May event (which also did have some gameplay in there but aside from Bright Memory Infinite's fantastic demonstration, were in very small clips and the "gameplay" meme around Valhalla killed most of the goodwill the rest of the show built up), and at least match Sony in terms of showing off in-game gameplay for a decent variety of 1st-party titles.

Instead, I think they may've given people more ammunition against them, made some gamers not already in the ecosystem indifferent to their next-gen system launches, and some of those same people are probably viewing the brand as a meme since their marquee IP, Halo, is currently infamous for a meme that even 343i are embracing. Again, I personally feel the show was mostly okay, and rewatching the Halo Infinite footage I've even warmed up to it more visually.

But to a lot of hardcore/core outsiders looking in it seems like they are not acknowledging the value of Gamepass because all they got were CGI trailers for games that could be good but there's not enough a track record to know if they will be, and gameplay for Halo Infinite that had iffy visual impact for what was meant to be a demonstration of a very well-built and powerful next-gen system. In fact, again, none of this stuff was running on a Series X devkit, meanwhile Sony had their stuff running off PS5 devkits (unless they were lying of course, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt).

Overall I think MS just missed a big opportunity for impact to definitively take command of next-gen messaging among hardcore/core gamers who aren't already diehard locked into the ecosystem (seemingly even rubbed wrong some of those who are), and that might give Sony a chance to clean house. I hope the rumors MS held back (again) impressive footage (preferably in-game gameplay, and hopefully on Series X devkits) some stuff in anticipation of Sony's August event are true because if not....I really don't want to say what that does for their prospects leading into next-gen launch, let's just say that.

And there's no way anyone can call me a concern-troll on this because I've been pretty adamant in arguing in favor of a lot of MS's next-gen strategy and Series X hardware in particular for months here, even to the point some people think I hate PlayStation for some reason. Which couldn't be further from the truth. I just genuinely want the best from both Sony and Microsoft this gen but while I personally still got some satisfaction from Thursday's event, did the hardcore/core gamers who are more staunched in Sony and Nintendo ecosystems (who may've been genuinely considering a Series X or Lockhart/Series S) come away convinced to jump in?

Going from what I'm seeing around parts, it doesn't seem that way. And that's exactly what I was worried would happen if this event didn't hit a home run for them. MS has to expand their ecosystem to hit the profit projections they want, but they really need hardcore/core gamers not already in the ecosystem to buy in as soon as possible. They're the very same ones, though, that they might've just came off as a joke to or even worst, solidified sticking with Sony and/or Nintendo. Even PC guys, for those 3rd-party Gamepass games anyway they can just pick them up on Steam or Epic Game Store or GOG and do so at pretty reasonable prices for the specific games they want. At the very least there, though, they would still need Gamepass for MS's 1st-party stuff, or else they just buy it outright on a store like Steam, and MS still has them in the ecosystem anyway.
I feel what youre saying broski but let's be realistic. There was no way Halo wasn't going to get bashed, no matter what 343 does. There are alot of Halo fans and Halo haters. Its impossible to please everyone. The responsee to Halo doesn't surprise me in the least.

Another thing that's happening is, like with every generation, gamers are jumping the gun, huge! This is just the start of a new generation, and this one is dead on the heels of a global pandemic. Rona literally changed the world and how it operates. The game industry is not immune to it. There's still a whole universe of things we don't know yet, and alot of that will still move much more slowly than normal.

I thought Halo looked fun AF! The rest of the show was pretty damn good as well. The gaming community needs to show a little restraint with new game announcements until we have all the information. What we're seeing right now is alot of entitlement and grade school tom-foolery with all the whining and complaining and misinformation, false rumors, agendas and stuff. It so ridiculous and petty.

People need to give them stuff more time. There's still alot more to come.

Gavon West

Just as subjective as saying that both have great games and claiming people that are not satisfied are haters. As a publisher MS lineup is terrible, they are on the same tier as EA/Ubi for me, possibly even worst.
That's certainly your opinion. Have at it..

TheGrat1

This-is-Fine-300x300.jpg

We gain nothing from complacency.

You asked what do we want? Was even one game from that event running on a Series X? Let's start with that. Hell, I would settle for it running on the One X. Is that a high bar nowadays? Even if it was just a tech demo. As far as I can tell everything was either offline rendered cgi or running on a PC. How can anyone be excited for Xbox when no one knows what the games will even look like on it?

Being complacent will not serve anyone's interests. Microsoft's feet need to be held to the fire. If not they will think it is acceptable to keep throwing cgi trailers and unfinished demos on us. The media and gamers world-wide are kicking their ass for this, and rightfully so.
Asking "what more do you want?" after this crap conference that is getting a near-universal panning is like some kind of video game Stockholm Syndrome.

Last edited:

Greeno

That applies to PC as well, can't wait to play Fable, Avowed, Hellblade at that low price.
Not sure it's sustainable.
If they are able to have a steady or increasing number of subscribers every month, it can actually be really sustainable. We are talking about 150 million dollars a month with the current subscription numbers (10 million subscribers). Just imagine when this thing grows bigger.

urmie

I feel what youre saying broski but let's be realistic. There was no way Halo wasn't going to get bashed, no matter what 343 does. There are alot of Halo fans and Halo haters. Its impossible to please everyone. The responsee to Halo doesn't surprise me in the least.

Another thing that's happening is, like with every generation, gamers are jumping the gun, huge! This is just the start of a new generation, and this one is dead on the heels of a global pandemic. Rona literally changed the world and how it operates. The game industry is not immune to it. There's still a whole universe of things we don't know yet, and alot of that will still move much more slowly than normal.

I thought Halo looked fun AF! The rest of the show was pretty damn good as well. The gaming community needs to show a little restraint with new game announcements until we have all the information. What we're seeing right now is alot of entitlement and grade school tom-foolery with all the whining and complaining and misinformation, false rumors, agendas and stuff. It so ridiculous and petty.

People need to give them stuff more time. There's still alot more to come.

Well said. Nothing wrong with warranted criticism. I don't think it's easy to build an open world game for 60fps gameplay that needs to work not only on Xbox One but PCs, which, according to Steam, are mostly still 1080p with some on 1440p machines. The graphics seemed fine and I'm sure it will look better at launch, especially for those with higher end gaming rigs and the Series X. Fun is end goal right? When it arrives on GamePass, I'm sure even the "haters" will fire it up.

Not to me at all. Barely worse than Sony's, and I only put Sony ahead because of Demons Soul's. People are so focused on hating Halo that they may have missed the rest of the awesome looking games. People rate Sony conferences with games 5 years out highly but MS doesn't get the same treatment. Especially around here. Tease FF7 remake and people lose their minds. 15 years later and it finally releases. Lol

I know it is just a launch exclusive, but Medium looks DOPE!

Entroyp

This-is-Fine-300x300.jpg

You asked what do we want? Was even one game from that event running on a Series X? Let's start with that. Hell, I would settle for it running on the One X. Is that a high bar nowadays? Even if it was just a tech demo. As far as I can tell everything was either offline rendered cgi or running on a PC. How can anyone be excited for Xbox when no one knows what the games will even look like on it?

Being complacent will does not serve anyone's interests. Microsoft's feet need to be held to the fire. If not they will think it is acceptable to keep throwing cgi trailers and unfinished demos on us. The media and gamers world-wide are kicking their ass for this, and rightfully so.
Asking "what more do you want?" after this crap conference that is getting a near-universal panning is like some kind of video game Stockholm Syndrome.

Hallelujah!

Sophist

People actually like Elder Scrolls games!? I thought that was a meme. If you are going to copy something go copy Dark Souls, Zelda BoTW or something that at least has some quality in it.

Elder Scrolls is top notch when it come to lore based games. Can not dream enough about a game like s.t.a.l.k.e.r. with the same quality lore as Elder Scrolls.

Freeman

Banned
Elder Scrolls is top notch when it come to lore based games. Can not dream enough about a game like s.t.a.l.k.e.r. with the same quality lore as Elder Scrolls.
Quality lore. I play as the chosen one, dragon guy, the leader of the thieves guild, a mage werewolf vampire general mercenary lizard man that no one in the world gives a shit about.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
I guess we gonna ignore the Elder Scrolls fans then? Avowed will be out before Elder Scrolls 6 and will actually probably run on a better engine and have less bugs.

in almost 40 years of gaming i have seen all kind of fanboys,nintendo ones,sega,amiga,etc all of them,but nothing like xbox fanboys,i almost feel pity for them,almost they are the most delusional bunch of fans on the face of earth
but to be fair,i love them,they are very entertaining, i have live this before,i was a amiga one and now all the stages of deception,this generation its gonna be hard for you people

Last edited:

Bkdk

Because gameplay isn't shown for many of them, also the announcement trailers are pretty short as well with not much info revealed. Wouldn't be surprised some might get delayed so much that another teaser trailer will have to be made. With game development game taking so long, this might very well be 60-70% of the whole first party next gen line up already for MS and Sony. Work from home isn't easy for AAA game development either, so the pandemic will put an even longer delay to many of these games and there will barely be any AAA titles until second half of 2022.

Last edited:

Flintty

Halo proved this system's power advantage isn't going to be showcased in a lot of titles

So you’re saying: Due to Halo shitting the bed with visuals, everything else will?

What is this fuckery? Your post just tanked the average intelligence of GAF.

You guys are fucking crazy.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So you’re saying: Due to Halo shitting the bed with visuals, everything else will?

That is one new narrative shitting up any postive xbox thread that 343=all Microsoft first parties. Using 343 to try and taint playground studios and other good studios Microsoft has.

Bolivar687

Banned

It won't be the ladt game or even exclusive with underwhelming graphics for a 12TF console.

Gavon West

This-is-Fine-300x300.jpg

Being complacent will does not serve anyone's interests. Microsoft's feet need to be held to the fire. If not they will think it is acceptable to keep throwing cgi trailers and unfinished demos on us. The media and gamers world-wide are kicking their ass for this, and rightfully so.
Hold up. Didn't Sony also have CGI trailers during their event? In fact, stats show MS had more actual gameplay than Sony did.

So its okay for Sony to do it, but not okay for MS??

TLZ

Banned
I am 40 years old.

Gamers at my age belong in one the two following camps: They either A) think everything sucks and gaming was the shit back in the 90s, or B) think that every gen is better than the last, and are more and more amazed by what they see.

I belong in Camp B.

This gen is going to be so amazing, to the point I'll do something I haven't done since 2003 - buy every single console as well as game on an upgraded PC.

That's how horny I am for the new games.

PS5 is King.
Series X is a Beast.
Switch is pure Sex.
PC pwnz all.

I love games. I love gaming.

I'll absolutely love this gen.

Fuck the haters indeed.
I'm with you, except no PC, and Switch isn't pure sex, but I love Nintendo's games :)

TLZ

Banned
Hold up. Didn't Sony also have CGI trailers during their event? In fact, stats show MS had more actual gameplay than Sony did.

Those stats are vague. It's just one game with many minutes. I wanted to see almost every one of them in gameplay mode.

Redlancet

Banned
Err, no, you feel no franchise fatigue at all in God of War, it was a total reboot and an absolute masterpiece.

thats the thing..this new halo was supposed to be the "god of war"moment of the franchise,and it becomes the joke of the entire internet for the desmay of gamepass embassator

Vaelka

I just like that Microsoft showed more new IP's or sequels to games that we haven't seen for a long time.
I am totally uninterested in Sony first party exclusives so just seeing trailers for games that I already know how they'll look and play isn't very interesting to me.
I mean you all already know what you'll get from HZD or Spiderman, you know exactly what it'll play like and what content will be in the game, is it really that exciting to just see a trailer of that?
Don't get me wrong I do understand getting hype for it, I do for sequels of games I love too. But new IP's when it comes to new generations is way more interesting imo.
The Spiderman trailer was actually good don't get me wrong, I didn't even like the first game I thought it was pretty shallow outside of the main story and repetitive and tropey in terms of the open world. But the trailer was very well made and almost made me a little hype even tho I am not interested in the game.

But I still found even just the mere announcement of new IP's and returning ones like Fable and Stalker to be way more interesting and exciting than Sony open world with tropes wannabe RPG third person action game with realistic graphics and soap opera story game number 98158951738.
I kinda agree with the OP in the sense that we might look back at this later on when we've seen more of these new and returning IP's as exciting.
Sony's showcase was only exciting if you liked those exclusives this generation, the generation after this coming one we might look back and get equally as excited when we see the trailer for Avowed 2 or 3 etc as some got when they saw the trailer for HZD2 and Spiderman2.

I get the complaints about the Xbox showcase, but at the same time people are being a bit stupid and gotta let the games actually prove themselves too. And ultimately trailer hype is artifical hype, who the hell even knows how any of these games will actually look and play?
I mean have people learned nothing from trailers in the past?
And just because a publisher has been good at one point doesn't mean that they always will be, success tends to be counter-productive for the consumer and end product there's countless of examples of this in gaming.

With that said Demon Souls was the hypest out of any of them to me because I am a big Souls games fan.
But I still acknowledge that it's purely because of my bias.

Pretty much, the '' gameplay '' that they did show was also integrated into the trailer in a way that I don't think that it's even fair to call it gameplay anymore.
I think that AC Valhalla did this too and Ubisoft was criticized because the gameplay was too artifical and looked scripted, but I mean that's generally how it works and Sony does this too.
They also have a tendency to really stretch what '' in-game footage '' is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom