• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can anyone think the PS5 is costing anything less than 600 - 700 USD?

Eliciel

Next-Gen is shaping up very nicely so far, but I'm a bit irritated how people can still possibly believe that the PS5 will launch with a price of 499 or even 399.

Sony is not just using top of the line components, with a SSD that seems do not even be available for the desktop market, but they are also building more expensive technology in their controller (upping manufacturing costs).

Most importantly the PS4/Pro is still selling well and costs around 449 USD/Euro even today! There is simply no reason for Sony to abandon the PS4 considering it's installation base and they will continue to sell a lots of them well into the future.

The PS5 is build around delivering a really next gen experience with not just visuals, but sound and haptics and they can't possibly meet demand anyway considering that the PS4 will most likely still move more units in the holiday season.

PS5 will be great, no doubt about it, but don't kid youself, there really is now way they are going to launch this at anything but a very premium price.

It might be frustrating if you don't have the necessary funds, but I wouldn't be suprised if they launched at 599 or even more, considering people are flocking to buy new iphones for over 1000 usd/euros.

judged by this logic: How can anyone think that the XSEX doesn't cost >1000€? It's a subvention based business approach. Most of the time these consoles are burning money the first 2-3 years...
I would pay 300-500 max and after that range I would simply wait and chill with PS4, Switch, Xbox GamesPass, what have you...
It's their decision what I, as a consumer, will do.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

PS5 will certainly not be a cent/penny over $499 and like I previously said $399 is not out of the question given what the PS4 has done following after the disaster that was PS3. My evidence is Shawn Layden's D.I.C.E speech from Feb 2019 is below. Watch for 2-3 minutes after the 14:00 mark.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Next-Gen is shaping up very nicely so far, but I'm a bit irritated how people can still possibly believe that the PS5 will launch with a price of 499 or even 399.

Sony is not just using top of the line components, with a SSD that seems do not even be available for the desktop market, but they are also building more expensive technology in their controller (upping manufacturing costs).

Most importantly the PS4/Pro is still selling well and costs around 449 USD/Euro even today! There is simply no reason for Sony to abandon the PS4 considering it's installation base and they will continue to sell a lots of them well into the future.

The PS5 is build around delivering a really next gen experience with not just visuals, but sound and haptics and they can't possibly meet demand anyway considering that the PS4 will most likely still move more units in the holiday season.

PS5 will be great, no doubt about it, but don't kid youself, there really is now way they are going to launch this at anything but a very premium price.

It might be frustrating if you don't have the necessary funds, but I wouldn't be suprised if they launched at 599 or even more, considering people are flocking to buy new iphones for over 1000 usd/euros.

if they go higher than 499 they have to wait 1 year befor they even can have some decent sales numbers

I would be very surprised if the PS5 were more than $500. Frankly even that would be eyebrow raising.

$400 worked perfectly for the PS4, and was then used for the PS4PRO.

I also very much doubt they took the approach of deciding what tech they wanted and working out the price based on those components.

More likely, they decided a price range, and have been designing their hardware around that budget.

It's not impossible they've decided to release a ridiculously expensive machine, but given their competitors obvious predilection for throwing money and muscle at problems, and their own experience with the disaster PS3 was, I find it more than a little hyperbolic.

FranXico

Worst case scenario, it costs around 500.

Most likely it will be around 400.

The 600 ballpark figure is just wishful thinking from those who want to see Playstation fail.

Last edited:

Worst case scenario, it costs around 500.

Most likely it will be around 400.

The 600 ballpark figure is just wishful thinking from those who want to see Playstation fail.

The thing with price is that $400 will equate to €£400 today and PS3 briefly was £425 before being reduced to £299.

Effectively the favoured $499 price point would make it far too costly for most in Europe going into a massive recession.

Ovek

7Member7
Gonna say 499 and they might be taking a hit on every one sold, the thing is full of custom silicon and that ain't cheap.

Bloomberg with recent article put the cost around 500 to 549$ for BOM without shipping and retailer cuts so I say sony will take the hit and price it 500

I don't really care, I'm rich.

Give me my damn PS5, peasant!

200.gif

mcz117chief

Who the fuck is gonna pay more than $500 US?
Well I recently bought a PC for almost $2000 and still people tell me it is weaker than PS5 will be with all those flops and shit. PS3 cost $599 and still it was the cheapest blu-ray, by far, on the whole damn market. I know many people who bought PS3 only to play blu-rays since even the cheapest blu-ray players back then cost almost twice as much as PS3.

Virex

Banned
How much do you expect MS to eat per box sold?
Well I went to Sony's HQ in Japan looking for a price. 2 Japanese men led me down an assembly line to an office up some dodgy stairs. They closed the door and there was another Japanese man sitting there. So I asked him "How much do you expect MS to eat per box sold?" He stood up and walked to me. And it was about that time I noticed this staunch well dressed Japanese businessman was about 500ft tall and from the paleolithic era. He looked at me and just said "About treefiddy"

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Sony would struggle with anything more than £500. Over this price and it would be hard sell to the general public.

dDoc

Didn't some Sony employee say that they would like the adoption to be huge? Not more than 500 for that to start occurring

Ar¢tos

I think both will be 499. The money Sony saves on GPU is used by the faster SSD, the money MS saves on SSD/mem setup is used on the bigger (and more expensive) APU.

Why do people keep comparing this to the ps3 fiasco many years ago? Different times, different economy. The average user didnt own 800$+ smartphones back then. It'll be above or at 600$ and you can quote me on that when they announce it.

Pizdetz

Banned
It depends what the value proposition is.
Even at $600 the PS5 would be a crazy deal considering to build a comparable PC for gaming would take about $1500 (and you wouldn't even match it given how deeply the SSD is integrated).
It also depends what games they have for release on day 1. If it's just slightly better assassin's creed, then a lot of people will wait. If it's a truly next gen title with all the bells and whistles, then that's a different story.

The Alien

Banned
Why wont the PS5 cost $600-$700?

1) People are getting waaaaay overhyped about a Tech Demo. It looked great, but let's all just chill....a lot.

2) We're all aware Sony (and MS) get significant bulk discounts on parts when buying by the millions.

3) They offload some costs to buyers. For example no next gen console will ship with anything over 1TB (Sony's even at 825gb). Also, Microsoft's proprietary external storage solution wasnt loved on this site due to a perceived high price. But, as OP mentioned, the PS5 SSD is sick - beating anything currently available. How much will external solutions cost for PS5? Me thinks more.

4) We'll find out soon if it's 'arrogant' Sony ($500 plus) or 'sensible' Sony ($499 or less). They've already said they want to transition players from PS4 to PS5 ASAP. That won't happen for a $600-$700 console - not before, during, or after 'current global events'.

I see a $500 price for PS5.

T_LVPL

I think Coronavirus will have a direct affect on the price. Everything I buy has gone up, since this shit started. You could get a PS4 Pro with Fifa 20 or Modern Warfare in the box for £299 or less this time 6 months ago. Now a PS4 Pro with no game is £350 the very cheapest price (on amazon). So if this Coronavirus nonsense keeps up i can see a launch price of £450-£500. If things settle back to normal I think £399.

Rbk_3

The same people who are happy to pay $1000 for a phone, $300 for a wireless earbuds, $100 for special edition of games etc.
I think $600 is very realistic as $600 does not mean the same as it did in 2006. I'm not saying they should charge $600 and I'm still mostly in $500 camp but $600 is not entirely unrealistic.

Don't forget $1000+ for a GPU.

Last edited:

Sota4077

Who the fuck is gonna pay more than $500 US?

Not me. I can promise that much. If either console is more then $499 I am holding off until a price drop. I get a really good bonus every March from my job that is around $10k. I'll happily build a beast of a PC since I can use it for my job too with that and hold off until consoles become cheaper. With mid generation upgrades I am not real interested in $500 only to be replaced 2 years later for a new console.

LixhulHot

Banned
What makes me laugh is that most of you here buy a smartphone every few years for over $1000, yet question the price of a next-generation console at half that price.

I can see a contracted price model. The console will be $699+ and you'd pay X amount each month until it's paid off. I cannot see the issue with this and is certainly, in my opinion, the future of console pricing.

RayHell

I don't care about the price. Hardware means little for me. Being able to play the next Uncharted/GOW/TLOU/HZD worth a lot.

PSYGN

New PS4 still sells for $300
New PS4 Pro sells for $400

I think the PS5 will sell for $500 and a larger space model for $600.
There will naturally be a shortage for the $500 and cause people who really want the PS5 to get the $600.

I think the times have changed and people today are less reluctant to fork over more money for awesome tech. They can also have payment plans like Microsoft is planning with the XBOX and phone providers with the phones.

I think it will be $499 - $599. I probably won't buy it for awhile anyway. Still plenty happy with my PS4 Pro. However, it always comes down to the games and right now we have no idea what we'll be playing at launch on PS5. If it's just Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Last of Us 2 with better graphics, I'll pass regardless of price. If it launches with Bloodborne 2, Horizon 2 and a couple brand new IPs........hmmm

Top Bottom