• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can anyone think the PS5 is costing anything less than 600 - 700 USD?

bender

What time is it?
I'm expecting $499.00. I'm expecting XSX to be $100.00 more expensive than PS5. I have a hard time imaging Microsoft going with $599.00 for XSX. My logic board is busted on this one.

449 PS5

499 XSX

How they do it? I dunno. I just think they will, somehow. 499 for both consoles/either console is a steal for what they are packing into the boxes. Basically the price of a 2070 Super
I'd be shocked if MS would willingly give SONY a price advantage. They did it before with XBOX One and it didn't work out great.

Vawn

Banned
I'm expecting $499.00. I'm expecting XSX to be $100.00 more expensive than PS5. I have a hard time imaging Microsoft going with $599.00 for XSX. My logic board is busted on this one.

I don't. Not after today. I think they'll be priced the same.

Microsoft can't afford to be more than PS5. They just can't. The PlayStation brand is just too strong and after that demo, no one possibly believes that PS5 is underpowered.

jakinov

A $399 launch price would put the future solvency Sony at risk. There's no way they can eat that kind of loss and hope to make it up on the back end. The first couple years of the PS3 almost killed them and I think they would rather exit the market then go through that again.

$499-599 seems like the absolute lowest, and $699 is certainly not unreasonable given their situation. They know MS will match or beat anything they say so regardless it's a shitty call for them to make.
The PS3 had a bad attach rate initially though, they lost money from running an online service, and they didn't have strong digital distribution (the ratio right now is around ~50% digital which means Sony makes even more money per game than ever before and digital adoption is going up).. Selling at a lost would only be temporary too. They probably won't get crazy fast sales like the Switch. but something significantly more than a high price tag, eventually they the costs will go down. But the initial boost will be possibly pay itself off later if it really does get them more sales. The longer people have consoles too, the arguably more likely they'll get more games and then for social factors I think when your friends start getting PlayStations you start getting them too.

Derktron

Banned
I'm guessing you don't remember the PS3 launch very well...
I’m sorry but this argument needs to die out completely, that was a very different time where spending that kind of money was crazy at the time. Even with a decent income. Look at stats of phones where people spend $1000 and see that yes people are willing to spend it. So I don’t think it won’t be much of an issue. Personally I see it at $500.

If the PS5 launches at $599, it will dead on arrival, giving the XSX a huge leg up in the market if it can launch at $500 - $550... until Sony realizes the mistake and drop the PS5's price to match the XSX. Bank on it!

leo-j

I fully expect a $499 ps5.
Ps4 is still selling okay at $299, and ps4 pro is still $399. I’m expecting. $249 ps4, $349 pro. Up until the $499 ps5 launches. I also expect series x to be sold at a loss at $449.99. Microsoft will be cheaper and will launch earlier.

ethomaz

Banned
Most estimated BOM I saw on internet just reaches $500 costs at high-end... where did you get $600-700?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
A shitload of people just lost their jobs and won't be able to pay anywhere near that much.

Bryank75

Banned
They buy in bulk, they use economies of scale, manufacture in ChiiiinA and make little or no profit on each machine, sometimes they take a bit of a loss......

It's totally different from PC, where every component has to make profit for each manufacturing company.

Barakov

I think $500 is the max they can charge for these machines. Outside of bundles, if they decide to charge any more and they potentially could find themselves in a PS3 situation.

Honestly, I think $399 is still the magic number for most people.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Sony have been doing their best to reinforce "great value for the advanced tech" mentality with the PS5 - you don't do that if you're aiming for budget prices. They'll die before they do USD$599.00 though - that's a meme they know they can never repeat. $499.00 for PS5 at the minimum - and I wouldn't be hugely surprised if it's USD$549. but at that price it's a bundle with either a free game or months of free Plus in the box.

Microsoft are in a different spot - I flip-flop a lot on what I think they're aiming for every day. So many mixed messages.
Like, if Lockheart is real and isn't just an Xbox One X Slim, then they've already got a console for the "budget range" - you don't do that if you're aiming for your big console to sit in that price point. So, they might target $499.00 and match Sony at the "premium" end of the spectrum.
Of course, we've heard shit on Lockheart - maybe it's cancelled, and so they might target $399.00, landing in the PS4's sweet spot to absolutely steal the early market from Sony.
Or maybe they've gone completely wild card - maybe Phil's gone bat-shit fucking crazy trying to get a win, and decides to hit USD$299.00 because, hey, who needs more money when you're Microsoft.
I really can't call it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
iu

Ten_Fold

Sorry OP, but you forgot the ps3’s $599 price? This would turn out similar to the 360/ps3 era, with xsx at $499 and the lockheart being $299. That’s basically like Xbox 360 arcade and Xbox elite. Come on Sony isn’t that stupid.

It would be hilarious if it launched at $600-700. The meltdowns on this forum seeing Microsoft put out a more powerful console at a cheaper price XD.

Nickolaidas

It's called investment. Selling units at a loss in order to ensure a solid playerbase and make the ps5 a tempting option for publishers and developers.

No one wants to develop games for a console owned by ten people.

Their BOM cost has already come out around 450 usd if I remember correctly. I doubt it would be higher than 499usd.

I believe PS4 will get a hefty price cut due to current economic scenario. It could surpass PS2.

I'd say they go up to 499. Not more.
We are not in the "consoles must cost 399" bracket of time anymore, but going up to 600 won't work. People remember the PS3.

I read it takes 450 to make PS5 so with 500 price it still would be a lost they would have to price it at 600 just to probably break even so for like the first 2 years or so they will take a lost on hardware same with Xbox.

llien

I'm pretty sure Sony has learned PS3 lesson.
They have spent literally billions on development of CELL.
(it was them being NVidia, one of the goals was getting rid of GPU altogether and just having two CELL chips. That way, game devs would face a touch choice of which system to support)
And then thought they could sell it at a price that high.

Today they are dominant but nowhere at PS2 levels.

The main reason why SSD got included into the system is exactly because it has become affordable in console setting.
AMD APU chip size has modest size and while they might need more expensive cooling, it would be several bucks, maybe a dozen.

Besides SSD, all the other costs (audio stuff, kraken decoding chip) are mostly one time development costs, chips themselves would cost nothing.

Cherny himself stated it would be somewhat more expensive, but gamers would find it reasonable, given the improvements.
I can only decode that statement as $50 more for SSD.

Shmunter

I'd pay whatever it costs. But Sony & MS know full well how the razor blade model works, so will price within a sweet spot to get adoption up, while not taking too much of a bath.

RPS37

I really wish we could hurry up and prices and release dates.
I think it’s obvious they’ll both be 499.
It would be nice if they were 399, but not at the cost of having to release a underpowered console.

GymWolf

Because sony is not a company full of nutjobs.

It's gonna be 500 dollars tops.

Last edited:

cireza

Release at 600, rip off the richer customers, make an apology for price, drop price to 400, offer 2 digital games as excuse to first buyers.

Isn't this what happened with 3DS ?

docbot

Banned
I think the design change might be another clou, they really want to differentiate the PS5 as something new / different more advanced.
Don't forget that with Cyberpunk, on of the biggest titles of this generation has still to launch, the PS4 is not going anywhere soon, they will do everything to keep it alive for years to come. Other future big titles like GTA6 surely will also have to launch on the PS4 (unless they really haven't been working on it and it's far off) for return of investment reasons.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that they want to sell the PS5 at a very competitiv price from the get go, unless somehow to really managed to keep production costs to a minimum (unlikely).

499 would be amazing, but I'm guessing 549 would be they lowest they could go.

Relativ9

Bloomberg has the manufacturing costs of the PS5 at around 450$. They'll take a loss on the each console sold to hit 499 at the max if they need to, possibly also 399. The manufacturing costs of the Dualshock4 is only about 10-15$, I know the DualSense is more advanced, but even if it's twice as expensive as the Dualshock 4 (it won't be) that still wouldn't put the overall console cost at even 50$ more.

Hostile_18

Banned
Value is so subjective. I use my ps4 pro every day (usually to some extent) so price wise £1500 or less, would be worth it. Gamers are so tight though even though they have £800 phones, so I'd expect the price (given the parts) to be between 450-499. Even that price is insanely good for what your getting. Also I think even though XSX will cost a *tiny* bit more to manufacture MS will price match with Sony.

Last edited:
Value is so subjective. I use my ps4 pro every day (usually to some extent) so price wise £1500 or less, would be worth it. Gamers are so tight though even though they have £800 phones, so I'd expect the price (given the parts) to be between 450-499. Even that price is insanely good for what your getting. Also I think even though XSX will cost a *tiny* bit more to manufacture MS will price match with Sony.
Not all gamers are tight there are pc gamers that drop £1200 just on a graphics card. However, there is a reason why console gamers got the "peasants" nickname.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
A shitload of people just lost their jobs and won't be able to pay anywhere near that much.
I'm not sure if the unemployed are in the market for a next-gen system and $60 games. More likely they will be selling their 4K TV.

I say $555 and $499 early 2021.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
600$ is not a lot these days compared to 600$ in 2006.

Secondly PS3 didn't cost 599$ it cost 499$. 599 was more expensive 60gb model.

Top Bottom