• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can anyone think the PS5 is costing anything less than 600 - 700 USD?

prag16

Banned
People are really thinking Sony is going to charge $100 extra for the disc drive? They're out of their minds if it's more than $50 more, and it probably shouldn't even be that much.
Sony confirmed out of their minds. This isn't going to convert as many physical sales to digital as they think (most going for the peasant SKU will already have been planning to go all digital regardless). Between this and the $10 price hike for new games (and the shitty two tone color scheme doesn't help), I'm out until further notice. No launch PS5 for me.

anothertech

f9dca823570d51c1ffea3fbb4b72cc4f.jpg

Good for a laugh

SafeOrAlone

Banned
But how many people will buy the discless version who would not have already been going mostly digital anyway? I think you (and apparently Sony) may be overestimating the amount of sales this will convert from physical to digital.

I haven't made any assumptions regarding how many sales convert from physical to digital.

They'll make it up charging another $10 for every cross-gen PS4 game they sell.

Was the fatality the revelation that most PS5 games will be on PS4 for the next several years, proving that Sony doesn't actually believe in generations, or that those multi-gen games will be $70 now?

Barakov

Gold Member
Next-Gen is shaping up very nicely so far, but I'm a bit irritated how people can still possibly believe that the PS5 will launch with a price of 499 or even 399.

Sony is not just using top of the line components, with a SSD that seems do not even be available for the desktop market, but they are also building more expensive technology in their controller (upping manufacturing costs).

Most importantly the PS4/Pro is still selling well and costs around 449 USD/Euro even today! There is simply no reason for Sony to abandon the PS4 considering it's installation base and they will continue to sell a lots of them well into the future.

The PS5 is build around delivering a really next gen experience with not just visuals, but sound and haptics and they can't possibly meet demand anyway considering that the PS4 will most likely still move more units in the holiday season.

PS5 will be great, no doubt about it, but don't kid youself, there really is now way they are going to launch this at anything but a very premium price.

It might be frustrating if you don't have the necessary funds, but I wouldn't be suprised if they launched at 599 or even more, considering people are flocking to buy new iphones for over 1000 usd/euros.
OOF
OOF
OOF
OOOF :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Rickyiez

And here is why kid , never assume . It's not uncommon that consoles were sold on a lost , they usually recover it from software sales .

prag16

Banned
I haven't made any assumptions regarding how many sales convert from physical to digital.
If you're looking at "incentivizing discless" as a centerpiece of the strategy, yes you basically are. If that conversion rate is paltry, then this doesn't do much for them. We'll see.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
If you're looking at "incentivizing discless" as a centerpiece of the strategy, yes you basically are. If that conversion rate is paltry, then this doesn't do much for them. We'll see.

No, I'm not hedging any bets, I'm just trying to get inside the mind of Sony.

Sony confirmed out of their minds. This isn't going to convert as many physical sales to digital as they think (most going for the peasant SKU will already have been planning to go all digital regardless). Between this and the $10 price hike for new games (and the shitty two tone color scheme doesn't help), I'm out until further notice. No launch PS5 for me.

Does it need to convert sales? It's just another option to present to the customer. I'm not sure what the issue is.

I'm probably out at launch as well though, just because I'm tired of the way Sony has been doing business, especially leading up to this launch.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Just not sure how people expect to get a disc drive and a Sony 4K player for $50, when Sony 4K players typically cost over $200.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Does it need to convert sales? It's just another option to present to the customer. I'm not sure what the issue is.
Since the cost of production / BOM difference between the SKUs for Sony is most likely in the $20-30 range, yes, eating that additional $70+ per unit likely requires converting sales (a lot of sales at that) in order to make sense. They could sell more hardware units this way so that's a factor obviously, but how much more, and again is it worth eating that $70+ on a per-sale basis.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Since the cost of production / BOM difference between the SKUs for Sony is most likely in the $20-30 range, yes, eating that additional $70+ per unit likely requires converting sales (a lot of sales at that) in order to make sense. They could sell more hardware units this way so that's a factor obviously, but how much more, and again is it worth eating that $70+ on a per-sale basis.

Without hard numbers, this is just a guessing game. At the end of the day, I'm not sure how Sony has made a mistake here.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Without hard numbers, this is just a guessing game. At the end of the day, I'm not sure how Sony has made a mistake here.
I might be nearly alone in this, and you will call it irrational I'm sure, but if the gimped SKU was $450 instead of $400 I'd be more likely than not to try to get the $500 SKU close to launch. But this pricing structure has pushed me to the other side of the fence due to the perception that I'm getting a "bad deal" buying the more expensive SKU.

Between that dynamic and the fact that they would have to convert several potential sales per unit from physical to digital over the life of the console in order to make up that extra $70-80 difference, yeah, I think it's bad decision. But you're right, we're all speculating as of now and there's really no way to know for sure when the dust settles whether the right move was made. In the end they could "fail" with this decision but "only" end up making a lot of profit rather than more of a lot of profit.

But as we've seen in the newer threads, various decisions they've made are pissing off a lot of fans (even if not the majority of fans), this being one of them.

Top Bottom