• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Review Embargo Details

What Will Be The Average Critic Score For Horizon: Forbidden West

• >95

Votes: 35 5.2%
  • 93-95

Votes: 128 19.2%
  • 90-92

Votes: 261 39.1%
  • 86-89

Votes: 174 26.0%
  • 80-85

Votes: 42 6.3%
  • <80

Votes: 28 4.2%

• Total voters

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No I stand by what I said, I mean except if a sequel of a more than 10/15 years old game come out you will never see the difference.And it will stay that way no matter the plaform you'll play on.By your logic Halo infinite doesn't look better than the first halo (or the forza series depending on your tastes).Because from the 360/ps3/wii era we've had games that could pass as photorealistic once blurried (that part is important).
Maybe you are hopefull for Horizon 3 but if there isn't a massive change in gameplay or main character, by your logic it will look just like Zero dawn too.

Here are the following games that passed my "blurry eyes" test...

MGSV, Breath of the Wild, Bioshock Infinite, Half Life Alyx, Halo Infinite...

So very few is more apt. I'm expecting Horizon III to make bigger gameplay changes than Forbidden West.

GymWolf

Gold Member
8aKPUkF.png

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Wiseguy indeed.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Jd8BMDo.gif

I mean.. i know, personal opinions and all, but these takes are so fucking wild to me.

World design and aesthetic can be subjective, fair, but story? It's one of the very best sci-fi stories i've ever experienced in all media.. it even made John fucking Carpenter all wet. Also combat? I still boot the game after 5 years just because of how insanely snappy and precise and engaging and satisfying the combat is.. maybe it's because i play with no reticle on Ultra Hard, but still, i really don't understand how any navigate, skilled player could possibly ever label the bow combat in HZD mediocre.

I'm perfectly fine with opinions, even "strange" ones like this, but the way the post was made with all that premise about fanboyism and all, presented as if this is the unfiltered, ultimate truth.. eh.
Naniwhat?

GymWolf

Gold Member

So very few is more apt. I'm expecting Horizon III to make bigger gameplay changes than Forbidden West.
H2 has more difference with h1 than halo infinite with halo 5 tho.

Halo added 1 new traversal option? h2 added 3 of them.
Halo added a couple of new enemies? 10 at best? h2 more than doubled the number
Halo has more or less same same digital acting than halo 5, h2 has improved astronomically compared to h1
Halo has the same exact melee, h2 improved a lot the basic melee of h1 with combos, special moves and dedicated skill three
side content\quests? halo is standard far cry stuff, h2 if we trust reviews is more like w3\botw now
Chief is still pretty much alone in his mission except some no-name soldier that sometimes follow him, h2 has mass effect storylines and multiple dedicated missions with the 4-5 bigger companions and a
operation base where you can talk to them mass effect style after every mission with new lines of dialogues
horizon added both flying and underwater exploration, halo infinite added the grapple hook (also present in h2)
Horizon added dinobot kart and a board minigame ala gwent, much more than what infinite added when it comes to trivial stuff to pass time
better not talk about what game had the more noticeable graphical update but we both know the answer

I mean sure the core is still horizon but they heavily revamped and added a lot of things, more than going from halo 5 to infinite.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
H2 has more difference with h1 than halo infinite with halo 5 tho.

Halo added 1 new traversal option? h2 added 3 of them.
Halo added a couple of new enemies? h2 more than doubled the number
Halo has more or less same same digital acting than halo 5, h2 has improved astronomically compared to h1
Halo has the same exact melee, h2 improved a lot the basic melee of h1 with combos, special moves and dedicated skill three
side content? halo is standard far cry stuff, h2 if we trust reviews is more like w3\botw now
Chief is still pretty much alone in his mission except some no-name soldier that sometimes follow him, h2 has mass effect storylines and multiple dedicated missions with the 4-5 bigger companions and a
operation base where you can talk to them mass effect style after every mission with new lines of dialogues
horizon added both flying and underwater exploration, halo infinite added the grapple hook (also present in h2)
better not talk about what game had the more noticeable graphical update but we both know the answer

I mean sure the core is still horizon but they heavily revamped a lot of things.

Halo 5 was extremely linear compared to Halo Infinite, which is a massive gameplay deviation.

My blurry eyes test worked.

I'm literally watching Forbidden West reviews and my brain is going "This could literally be Zero Dawn footage and I'd have no idea."

My brain never said that with Halo Infinite (save for the indoor levels - which I hated).

GymWolf

Gold Member
Halo 5 was extremely linear compared to Halo Infinite, which is a massive gameplay deviation.

My blurry eyes test worked.

I'm literally watching Forbidden West reviews and my brain is going "This could literally be Zero Dawn footage and I'd have no idea."

My brain never said that with Halo Infinite (save for the indoor levels - which I hated).
Yeah but halo as a saga was always about gigantic sandbox arenas (and h5 had some of these aswell) so the jump to a small samey open world is not that gigantic imo, it also has a loooot of indoors kinda small missions as you say, and they are a lot and long and kinda boring.

You ignored everything else i wrote but it was predictable.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yeah but halo as a saga was always about gigantic sandbox arenas (and h5 had some of these aswell) so the jump to a small samey open world is not that gigantic imo, it also has a loooot of indoors kinda small missions as you say, and they are a lot and long and kinda boring.

You ignored everything else i wrote but it was predictable.

If I was on a game show called "Same game or different game!", where the host would play two clips from different games at 480p resolution I have a high degree of confidence that I'd be able to distinguish between Halo 5 and Halo Infinite.

I have a much lower degree of confidence that I'd be able to distinguish between Zero Dawn and Forbidden West.

All games and sequels add a bunch of stuff. It's not about a checklist of additions, it's about what the human brain can appreciate. All brains appreciate different things.

Sony was kind enough to send us a copy today....sadly I won't be able to review the game in a timely manner since I am busy with Shadow Warrior 3 now and Elden Ring as those will be taking priority since the embargo hasn't been lifted yet. Either way, shout outs to them for sending it and I played the tutorial and it was fun so far!

Hinedorf

Banned
If I was on a game show called "Same game or different game!", where the host would play two clips from different games at 480p resolution I have a high degree of confidence that I'd be able to distinguish between Halo 5 and Halo Infinite.

I have a much lower degree of confidence that I'd be able to distinguish between Zero Dawn and Forbidden West.

All games and sequels add a bunch of stuff. It's not about a checklist of additions, it's about what the human brain can appreciate. All brains appreciate different things.
I would completely disagree with this statement and think opposite that I could easily distinguish between HZD and HFW even looking at both games on PS4, but for the life of me I could never tell you 1 Halo from another because it's a fair assessment to say they've all looked alike on purpose (and also because I think Halo is vastly overrated and HZD/HFW is not)

I've played 3 Halo's ever. The original on PC, Halo 3 on Xbox360 and Halo Infinite on PC. I literally jumped into multiplayer day 1 with Halo Infinite and knew every single game function. Innovation? The big revelation on Halo Infinite is that they've never made it more interesting than the original Halo and are still trying.

Papacheeks

Banned
Wiseguy indeed.

Thats insane. I mean the guy did post in the wrong thread. It was not the official Horizon OT, it was one specifically for what they were talking about. But still guy has a point. Like its a fucking fantasy game made by people from across the globe?

Like why are most white people being outraged, and why are african americans being outraged? Its literally a distopian future where there is a clean slate in how they themselves interpret what society would be like in their game world. Reeee loves to be triggered like every other dumb woke gamer.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Halo passed that test?....So to you Halo infinte look that much better than Halo 5, compared to both Horizons...
That sure seem like a shitty test.Because the only thing it seems to highlight is a change in art direction(think about it mgsV Zelda, Bioshock Half Life, the only thing I don't understand is how Halo can pass that test but I skipped Halo 4 and 5).What's your opnion about the differences between risk of rain 1 & 2 then ? Like 3 gen apart ?

isoRhythm

Banned
My rule of thumb is simple.

Can I blur my eyes, view the TV from far away, watch with periphery vision and confuse the sequel with the first game?

I couldn't do it with Perfect Dark (Goldeneye)

I can do it with Forbidden West (Zero Dawn)

This results in a NO SALE from me. I still think Guerilla is a talented studio and I expect a much better game from Horizon III. Plus, now we can start the marketing roll out to their multiplayer only game.

Will be interesting to see how this one fares in terms of sales.
Dumbest shit I've ever read on this site

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Dumbest shit I've ever read on this site

And yet, I've been using that strategy to good effect for...the past 25 years.

I played Zero Dawn for ~30 hours. The last 5-10 hours started to drag as the game wasn't surprising me enough anymore. The "blurry eye" test helps identify games that provide more of the same rather than take a big jump.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

My rule of thumb is simple.

Can I blur my eyes, view the TV from far away, watch with periphery vision and confuse the sequel with the first game?

I couldn't do it with Perfect Dark (Goldeneye)

I can do it with Forbidden West (Zero Dawn)

This results in a NO SALE from me. I still think Guerilla is a talented studio and I expect a much better game from Horizon III. Plus, now we can start the marketing roll out to their multiplayer only game.

Will be interesting to see how this one fares in terms of sales.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I played Zero Dawn for ~30 hours. The last 5-10 hours started to drag as the game wasn't surprising me enough anymore. The "blurry eye" test helps identify games that provide more of the same rather than take a big jump.
I’m myself not fan of Horizon but this is such a weird way judge a game which make zero sense to me.

Last edited:

jonnyp

Halo passed that test?....So to you Halo infinte look that much better than Halo 5, compared to both Horizons...
That sure seem like a shitty test.Because the only thing it seems to highlight is a change in art direction(think about it mgsV Zelda, Bioshock Half Life, the only thing I don't understand is how Halo can pass that test but I skipped Halo 4 and 5).What's your opnion about the differences between risk of rain 1 & 2 then ? Like 3 gen apart ?

I have no idea why you bother answering the guy. Look at his post history. It's literally trolling and shitposts.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I have no idea why you bother answering the guy. Look at his post history. It's literally trolling and shitposts.
I never check post history and keep hoping that it is someone interesting I am talking to.I had good surprises and lots of addition to my ignore list.

And yet, I've been using that strategy to good effect for...the past 25 years.

How on earth would you know the strategy's working? Presumably you don't play games that fail your "blurry eye test" so you wouldn't know if there good or not🤔

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How on earth would you know the strategy's working? Presumably you don't play games that fail your "blurry eye test" so you wouldn't know if there good or not🤔

How can you know fire is hot? You play with it. Burn yourself from time to time and it reinforces your "Stay away from fire" rule.

PS+, GamePass, Sales, Rentals etc...

Top Bottom