• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition launches on PS5 October 6, and comes to PC early 2024

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Another one for the Nvidia Leak, 3 to go to fulfill the prophecy.

PR8B8La.png
Kinda easy to predict when they haven't released anything else on PS5

tmlDan

Man, I'm console bias, but even I'm looking forward to seeing how good this will look on PC. I wonder if it would give cyberpunk a run for it's money.

Like imagine this game with path tracing.
The game, imo, looks better than cyberpunk except for lighting.

Character models are significantly better than cyberpunk, but if they add quality RT it'll trump CP2077 for sure

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Platinumed the base game at launch. Absolutely beautiful even on performance mode. I wish the environments were more dense, but that’s a minor complaint. I enjoyed the game and it was a solid 8/10 for me, nothing too groundbreaking but a fantastic sequel.

No real interest in playing burning shores any time soon but will pick it up one day. This is going to look amazing on high end PC’s.

Reckheim

lmao why cause i dont like horizon games? they are boring...theres nothing unique about them, at all. NOTHING. pretty graphics on the second one and well see when pc releases how pretty they really are. come on man, no need to be 14 to dislike a game, i dont consider sony games the secon coming of christ like a lot of ppl here do.

am actually 38, i work in real estate, i own all three consoles plus a massive gaming PC...i buy every single triple A game on day one, i support denuvo, i dont pirate, i spent 5k on star citizen, i have over 5k dota 2 items and over 10k hours in the game, ive been with steam for 20 years, i have a quest 2 an dplay alyx wirelessly, and i could go on.

i do not like the horizon series. sue me.
5lsgql.jpg

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
lmao why cause i dont like horizon games? they are boring...theres nothing unique about them, at all. NOTHING. pretty graphics on the second one and well see when pc releases how pretty they really are. come on man, no need to be 14 to dislike a game, i dont consider sony games the secon coming of christ like a lot of ppl here do.

am actually 38, i work in real estate, i own all three consoles plus a massive gaming PC...i buy every single triple A game on day one, i support denuvo, i dont pirate, i spent 5k on star citizen, i have over 5k dota 2 items and over 10k hours in the game, ive been with steam for 20 years, i have a quest 2 an dplay alyx wirelessly, and i could go on.

i do not like the horizon series. sue me.
you can dislike the horizon games without coming off as a massive troll and invading to tell pc gamers and ps5 gamers that their game sucks. thats why youre being called a 14 year old

Roxkis_ii

i can imagine this was you opening the thread
pizza fire GIF

Oh yeah. Definitely a little something like that.

• Games need to be DRM free
  • Smaller Player Count
  • Extremely relaxed policity over controversial and political games.

Doesn't Steam have the same stance on controversial/political games? Maybe even more so?

The first point is true, and a plus IMO. Second's true too, tho playerbase can't be so small as to be insignificant. If Sony's so set on going PC, why not support as many of the relevant storefronts as possible?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Edit: You laugh, but on what planet are Sony actually expanding the audience with these ports and as opposed to just setting up the expectation that you can avoid buying a PlayStation if you prefer PC and wait?
regardless of if they are "expanding the audience" or not, they're really cheap and easy endeavours for a decent return on cash, and it doesn't really cannibalize sales when the people who want to play the game NOW will happily buy a Playstation to do so. People who wait get a better version of the same game (depending on their hardware)

shamoomoo

PlayStation really doesn't care about spreading it's releases out, this 2 weeks before Spiderman lol. Already got the plat trophy for the original game, never played DLC, will pick it up eventually.
But Horizon is already out,this is just like the PS2 greatest hits, which should have no bearing on Spider-Man 2 release.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There is still a gap between Ratchett and HFW next year. I wonder if sth else is coming for PC in 2023.
If they released HFW now, maybe Ragnarok could drop on PC soon as well.

But i'm thinking it'll be something older like Tsushima. Maybe Gran Turismo, If not to compete with Forza Motorsport 8 launching around the same time.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well, I would say that now PC gamers have access to another great game, but they don't.

Forbidden West is a HUGE disappointment and Sony needs to stop trying to make Horizon a thing.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s hilarious and a little sad to see people on here legitimately afraid of Sony releasing games day and date in PC.
Hey those 1.5 million Spider-Man pc sales greatly devalues the 33 million ps sells. 😢.

Day one would literally destroy the PlayStation!!

Last edited:
I wonder if Sony will ever eventually do day one for both platforms. With how expensive game dev budgets now I believe it would be better for them to squeeze all the $ they can from the hype on day 1 from multiple platforms. I wouldn't be surprised if by PS6 that's what they'll start doing to be honest.

Last edited:
regardless of if they are "expanding the audience" or not, they're really cheap and easy endeavours for a decent return on cash, and it doesn't really cannibalize sales when the people who want to play the game NOW will happily buy a Playstation to do so. People who wait get a better version of the same game (depending on their hardware)

That is the longer-term problem that Sony haven't the data on to definitively answer yet, though. As we've seen with Xbox, over time these PC ports CAN drive down demand for your console. While Sony aren't doing Day 1 PC for the non-GaaS titles yet, at this pace it feels like only a matter of time.

If they were smart about it, they'd at least make sure they have a storefront on PC to call their own, and push Day 1 to that storefront, which they can monetize with subscription tiers so even someone who isn't buying games or only accesses F2P games there feel compelled to buy a tier (or if not, hey you still have the ad-supported "free" tier that's generating money its own way). It's the only way Sony could effectively mitigate most of whatever long-term drive down in demand the console would see by continuing these PC efforts.

Because at this pace, I am expecting Day 1 for at least one or two of their AAA traditional titles on PC, before the generation is over with. Which then sets in place a very difference cadence of expectations, which aren't easy to reverse. But, for specifically HFW; for the people on PC who genuinely want to play the game (but for whatever reason didn't have a PS4 or PS5 already to play it on), I hope they enjoy it.

Now though I gotta ask: are PS5 owners who already bought the previous HFW release at or near launch (and Burning Shores), are they able to get just the upgrades for a small price, say $10 or $20? Or do they have to re-buy the game again at $60 to get this additional content? Sony should be offering that choice to console buyers, in all fairness.

I wonder if Sony will ever eventually do day one for both platforms. With how expensive game dev budgets now I believe it would be better for them to squeeze all the $ they can from the hype on day 1 from multiple platforms. I wouldn't be surprised if by PS6 that's what they'll start doing to be honest.

At this rate it's just a matter of time. The question is will they be smart about it, or greatly diminish demand for their own console while putting their content on PC in a way where they have no real ownership or control of the platform ecosystem in terms of vertical integration.

Because if their idea is to simply copy Microsoft's strategy but do it slowly over a period of years, they're only delaying the inevitable identity crisis for PlayStation as a brand (and decreasing unit sales & revenue) that Xbox has seen for the past 5-8 years (when you ignore the revenue bumps 3P publisher acquisitions added, or inflation).

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
As we've seen with Xbox, over time these PC ports CAN drive down demand for your console.
Cuz Xbox is doing day & date hence why people are not buying. These are staggered, 1-2 year off releases.
While Sony aren't doing Day 1 PC for the non-GaaS titles yet, at this pace it feels like only a matter of time.
Let's assume it does happen then.... How's it really going to affect Playstation?
The brand is so large, that even if the games are on PC the consoles will still sell. System is already still closing in on Xbox One lifetime unit sales in 3 years despite the games coming to PC years after the fact.
Not to mention that I always point to Nintendo in these scenarios. Being able to play every first party on PC/Steam Deck weeks before the full Switch release has not cannibalized Switch sales one bit.

Cyberpunk
Star Citizen
Says hi
dnFmO1h.jpg

DCnT9e3.jpg

Of course Cyberpunk looks this good on a PC with a 12th-gen i9 and 4090 with 32 GB system RAM and some crazy 8 GB/s SSD. It's not apples-to-apples at that point though, now is it?

Let's see Cyberpunk on PC hardware equivalent to a PS5, then have this convo again. But in all truth, Sony's basically inviting these comparisons going forward. The allure of their games being viewed as technical showcases pushing their hardware to the limits will be gradually lost as they seemingly rush to port their games over to PC where almost any random game can be made to look as good or better than their own if you have enough money to throw at hardware to do so.

Yes their games were always being compared to stuff on PC in the past anyway, but those games having genuine exclusivity on their hardware afforded them a sense of allure and spectacle and at least made people more easily look at their technical abilities in the confines of console hardware limitations. That will all gradually fade away with this increased push for PC, IMHO.

And, it's kind of sad to realize that. A sobering reality, but it is what it is.

Cuz Xbox is doing day & date hence why people are not buying. These are staggered, 1-2 year off releases.

Personally still feel the end results will result in a similar outcome; Sony is just taking a slower, more measured approach. So maybe instead of seeing a decline the way Xbox did in 5 years, it takes PS 10 years. And maybe since PlayStation as a brand is a lot bigger than Xbox, in absolute terms the decline wouldn't be as bad. They'd still be moving a decent 25-35 million units more than Xbox at the very worst.

But is this really the only option PlayStation has for revenue growth, player growth, and less reliance on 3P? I genuinely don't think so, but I'm not a CEO. So, what's it matter in the end what my opinion on it is?

Let's assume it does happen then.... How's it really going to affect Playstation?
The brand is so large, that even if the games are on PC the consoles will still sell. System is already still closing in on Xbox One lifetime unit sales in 3 years despite the games coming to PC years after the fact.
Not to mention that I always point to Nintendo in these scenarios. Being able to play every first party on PC/Steam Deck weeks before the full Switch release has not cannibalized Switch sales one bit.

The Nintendo example doesn't pan out for me because that's a case of people doing something technically illegal, and that Nintendo in no way endorses, promotes or supports as a corporation. They aren't messaging that to their millions of customers in the casual, mainstream, or even core and hardcore enthusiasts spaces. Only those at the most fringe of the community are playing their games on PC through emulators, and it's not like Nintendo hasn't made strides to curb that down immensely.

Sony are actively advertising and messaging their PC strategy to a large portion of their console base because these PC ports aren't just being seen or advertised to people on PC exclusively. And I still posit there is more crossover between console and PC in the enthusiasts space than others suspect; even Jim Ryan feels as such when he's quoted saying he sees PC as a competitor to PlayStation.

Or at least, that's what he's said. What he says and what he does could be two very different things in reality. But, I guess we'll see how things shape out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom