• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Review Embargo Details

What Will Be The Average Critic Score For Horizon: Forbidden West

• >95

Votes: 35 5.2%
  • 93-95

Votes: 128 19.2%
  • 90-92

Votes: 261 39.1%
  • 86-89

Votes: 174 26.0%
  • 80-85

Votes: 42 6.3%
  • <80

Votes: 28 4.2%

• Total voters
From OpenCritic:

With Horizon Forbidden West set to release on Feb 18th, we now have the Horizon Forbidden West review embargo details to share with you.

The review embargo for Horizon Forbidden West is set for February 14th at 12:01 a.m. PDT. Head over to the Horizon Forbidden West page after that time for all of the latest Horizon Forbidden West reviews from outlets!

Horizon Forbidden West is the latest game from Guerrilla Games, and the sequel to critically acclaimed Horizon Zero Dawn. Once again an open-world game, players will join Aloy on her adventures - this time through the western United States as she and her companions seek to find the source of a deadly plague. With new environments, enemies, tools, and weapons to utilize - this new game builds on the last title and even comes with friendly faces such as Sylens and Erend from the first game.

Horizon Forbidden West releases on February 18th, 2022 for Playstation 4 and Playstation 5. Players who purchase the game on Playstation 4 will get a free Playstation 5 Upgrade.

How do you think it will score?

For me I see this as a similar jump that Naughty Dog made from Uncharted to Uncharted 2.

Everything Guerrilla Games has shown so far points to a bigger, better world and significant improvement from it's predecessor.

The original Uncharted averaged 88 - then Uncharted 2 scored a 96 and was the consensus game of the year in 2009.

I don't think it will score that high - but come close.

Horizon: Zero Dawn averaged 89 and was an awesome debut for a franchise. I'm going to go with 94 for the sequel and it'll be heavily in the running for GOTY (with some stiff competition).

Vote for your prediction in the poll!

DrJamesOxford

Neo Member
I would be shocked if it was below a 90. They have probably improved it from the last one in every way plus added some Kojima magic (I am sure he shares tech/ trade secrets with them after they supported Death Stranding).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
87 team.

Even if the game is better in everything it would be not the first case of a better sequel scoring worse than the predecessor, you still have to consider:

Cunt reviewers who are gonna be mad that white saviour aloy is gonna save multy-cultural tribes (yes, it is a real thing)
Reviewers who are gonna put a 5 to make easy clicks
Reviewers with suspect selective "open world fatigue"
Standard are higher nowadays for open world games ( :lollipop_tears_of_joy: )
I expect the story to be somehow worse if they don't find a way to make the present day story as good as the old days story.

Last edited:

manfestival

80-85
The first game was fun but alright. I loved me killzone as well but those games were along the same in overall experience. For some reason I just figure from their track records that Guerilla just doesn't have what it takes to make the game a true 90+ title for metacritic that is.

FrankWza

Gold Member
christoph waltz GIF

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't think it will convert any people who didn't like the first but fans of the first will love it.
Why not? In theory they fixed literally any problem people had with the first one (and they showed most of those upgrades already).

You will be surprised by how many people abandoned the game for trivial (or important) reason like shitty digital digital acting or boring sidequests or shitty melee or limited traversal or shitty rewards for exploration etc.

On reeeee i lost the count of people who didn't liked the first one but preordered this one nevertheless.

Woggleman

Why not? In theory they fixed literally any problem people had with the first one (and they showed most of those upgrades already).

You will be surprised by how many people abandoned the game for trivial (or important) reason like shitty digital digital acting or boring sidequests or shitty melee or limited traversal or shitty rewards for exploration etc.

On reeeee i lost the count of people who didn't liked the first one but preordered this one nevertheless.
Those same people who pre-ordered this will most likely talk about how they didn't like it and then buy the third one.

I am not talking gamers who don't like anything but people who genuinely disliked it.

checkcola

I'll say the meme worthy 88, but what do I know?

Really, the most interesting thing will be how it is on baseline PS4.

Top Bottom