• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West | Gameplay Reveal Trailer

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's looks amazing. But why so much colour. It's like it's over done.
I think that's just Horizon. The first one had a lot of color too. That being said, they definitely upped the ante on the color. It felt...too pure if that makes sense. It's not really a dig on the game's aesthetic, but when the gameplay first started, this exact thought was in the back of my head.

I was just like "Jesus everything is so....bright".

Tripolygon

Banned
I love how the impact of the bodies and weapons dig holes in the sand. That's an amazing small detail.

Also people complaining about hair clipping. Seriously? LOL that's going to be a bother while playing the game?
They can't find anything to complain about so might as well complain about hair clipping as if there is hardware capable enough to simulate hair physics or physics and collision in general, in a gameplay scenario. Lol

This was their gameplay debut. It's a big deal.

They think the best way to showcase their game is with linear, hand holdy level design. That doesn't strike me as a vote of confidence for impressive open world design.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I'm skeptical.
This is how you show a game off when it's a gameplay debut it wasn't an exploration demo it was a gameplay demo.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
on fire GIF

My PS4 after watching the trailer thanking me for upgrading to PS5

Didn't make me too interested in the story, but the gameplay, combat especially, looked quite good. I thought it flowed fairly well. Beautiful game.

Vick

Just watched the 4K version on the VT50.. fuck me this looks insane.

Just disappointed by the clipping, and there's that weird instance where foliage disappeared, but i'm confident it will all be addressed.

No Zero Dawn PS5 update sucks though. (n)

GHG

Gold Member
I think that's just Horizon. The first one had a lot of color too. That being said, they definitely upped the ante on the color. It felt...too pure if that makes sense. It's not really a dig on the game's aesthetic, but when the gameplay first started, this exact thought was in the back of my head.

I was just like "Jesus everything is so....bright".

I really like the saturation. Its why I'm a fan of the look of biomutant as well. We need more games that pop with colour.

Disagree.

This is how you showcase open world design in a trailer. This game came out in...2013.

If Guerilla went that route with Forbidden West, I'd be way more excited.

Horizon isn't that though. It's more focused on telling a story and guiding you down paths it wants. Not an ideal open world game to me.

I see what you mean, but I don't think that means the open world is bad it can still be good even if they're not simulator-lite like GTA.

DeaDPo0L84

Looked amazing and Horizon was my favorite game the year it released. Got the platinum on PS4 but after playing Horizon on PC and seeing the improvements plus being able to play well above 60fps, I'll wait and see what Sonys plans are for potentially bringing the sequel to PC, I simply couldn't go back to playing this @ 30fps.

KAL2006

Banned
Great looking game. It didn't disappoint but didn't blow me away either, basically a decent sequel for the original with graphic and gameplay improvements but nothing ground breaking. It doesn't matter though as Horizon is still a fresh IP, it's not as if it's an old franchise that is stale. I will say even though it looks amazing it's still obviously this is a cross gen game and to me personally Demons Souls and Ratchet Rift Apart look graphically superior. Its expected though I guess we will have to wait for Horizon 3 for the true next gen leap.

Yeah no release date was a big negative, when exactly is this coming?
To be honest, I don't give a shit when it's coming. They need to take their time and finish the game proper. Covid affected a lot of development timeline schedules. I don't want another CDPR/Cyberpunk situation where they release the game with its guts hanging out and bleeding all over the floor and spend the next year or more trying to patch it up with band-aid. Fuck that.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Everyone should rewatch the original trailer cause this new one looks better.

-There’s a ton more detail on screen;
-It’s colourful, massively colourful now, the original (above) was mostly green
-The lightings improved (check out the differences in the mammoth fights)

The over the top scene at the beginning looks like one of those TV resolution demos.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is how you show a game off when it's a gameplay debut it wasn't an exploration demo it was a gameplay demo.

They chose to lean on what they think is the most impressive aspect of their game... because that's marketing 101.

The trailer showcases beautiful graphics, new gadgets to use, new robot designs, and a lot of narrative. Compare that trailer to this trailer from 2013...

There's ways to showcase an interesting open world with a gameplay reveal. This ain't it, imo.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I really like the saturation. Its why I'm a fan of the look of biomutant as well. We need more games that pop with colour.
Yea I like the way Biomutant looked as well. I guess I'm just saying it took some getting used to. So many games have a much more muted palette. This trailer was like sensory overload. Holy Shit.

Side Note:
For those who have played HZD on PC, I'm about halfway through my download. Is there an optimal setting for HZD? I'm seeing a lot on the net about this...but a lot of folks are talking about how the game kinda suffers a bit for various reasons.

I was thinking maybe there could be some fixes in NVidia Control Panel or something. Not sure what recommendation to go with.

DrAspirino

Banned
The fact that currently, Sony's only competition in the graphic department are themselves (Horizon - RATCHET) is hilarious 😂
Fixed for context, since we still have to see what the wizards at Ninja Theory will bring with Hellblade 2. From the rest of other developers? I truly don't know.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Look good, feels like more of the same with more mechanics on top. Hopefully they developed this game with a PC version in mind like Death Stranding so its better optimized at release.

GHG

Gold Member
Yea I like the way Biomutant looked as well. I guess I'm just saying it took some getting used to. So many games have a much more muted palette. This trailer was like sensory overload. Holy Shit.

Side Note:
For those who have played HZD on PC, I'm about halfway through my download. Is there an optimal setting for HZD? I'm seeing a lot on the net about this...but a lot of folks are talking about how the game kinda suffers a bit for various reasons.

I was thinking maybe there could be some fixes in NVidia Control Panel or something. Not sure what recommendation to go with.

I had it at launch on PC and it was a shit show so refunded it but I've heard it's very much improved and runs well now without any tweaks being necessary.

So it's just dependant on your hardware, how high you crank the settings and the resolution you want to run it at.

Last edited:
Top Bottom