• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West | Gameplay Reveal Trailer

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
why would this worry you... this is a scripted section of the game and they used it to show certain aspects of the game...

This was their gameplay debut. It's a big deal.

They think the best way to showcase their game is with linear, hand holdy level design. That doesn't strike me as a vote of confidence for impressive open world design.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Biggest worry...

They decided to wow everyone with linear cramped level design. (This is the part where we want you to override this mount, so we'll place a mount right next to red grass and we'll have Aloy talk about wanting to override the mount by the red grass).

Doesn't bode well for kick ass open world gameplay.

I love being wrong though so we'll see.
How do you wow people with open world gameplay?

mango drank

Imagine traveling back in time 30 years, showing this video to kids of that era, and telling them that this is what video games will look like in the future. They'd have heart attacks on the spot. They'd also ask you whether this is on Nintendo or Sega, and you'd laugh an evil laugh and disappear back to your own time.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Looks like a PS4 pro game but a bit better. But that's not a bad thing, it basically sums up what we have this generation so far. And saying that knowing that the first game and GOW, Uncharted 4 already looked really good - the benchmark is high.
Also looks fun to play so there's that!

MCplayer

giphy.gif
the game all of the sudden turned into an anime

Fuck this world is gorgeous. I can see myself getting lost in this beautiful tropical setting and the underwater world opens up new gameplay possibilities with strong currents, snap maws and god knows what else.

I was hoping to god we'd see gameplay of Aloy on a flying machine but maybe that's being saved for a later date.

I'm fucking sold. Sign me up...on PS5.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I need to see a higher quality version because the one I saw looked like crap. I'll judge the gameplay demo after I've seen it.

But so far I like how much Vegeta there is. Plus it looks pretty colorful.

Edit: That mammoth fight looked intense as heck. At first I thought you could just hide behind the ruin but then the beast destroyed the cover. Pretty cool.
Yep it's Majin.

Biggest worry...

They decided to wow everyone with linear cramped level design. (This is the part where we want you to override this mount, so we'll place a mount right next to red grass and we'll have Aloy talk about wanting to override the mount by the red grass).

Doesn't bode well for kick ass open world gameplay.

I love being wrong though so we'll see.
My dude doesn't understand the difference between a mission in an open world map and open world exploration. Obviously they're gonna show a scripted mission with a boss at the end instead of a guy running around for 20 minutes.
If anything you thinking the open world she was traversing was actually linear is a testament to how impressive the map design is.

Are we all forgetting how good the original looked ? Tbh this was okayish , character model looks great everything else is basically horizon just a little prettier

Kokoloko85

Taking down the big robots in the first one was always great fun for me, I am very excited about the grapple hook and glider now though....should give way more possibilities in combat.

There will be a 60fps mode on PS5 almost guaranteed, the cpu is very capable of that. Probably higher.

Yeah I loved the Dino Robot combat in the first, not many 3rd person games with combat like that if any.

Was different, unique and addictive. Maybe not for everyone but I loved it.
Now the Melee and Human Combat is looking good too.

Really hoping there will be 60fps. Guessing it will give a choice if baseline PS4 will play it at 30fps 1080p

Phase

Is the talking-to-herself part going to stay in? Not a fan of that.

Other than that I'm seeing the same game with a couple of new tools to traverse quicker. I liked the first one, but I won't be getting a ps5 so I'll only get it if it comes to pc.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Is the talking-to-herself part going to stay in? Not a fan of that.

Other than that I'm seeing the same game with a couple of new tools to traverse quicker. I liked the first one, but I won't be getting a ps5 so I'll only get it if it comes to pc.
This would be my only complaint. Her constantly narrating her thoughts were off-putting to me. It felt unnecessary and made the presentation feel more "canned". I just kinda tuned it out after a bit but in the beginning it was pretty annoying.

Freeman76

I know im in a very small minority but the first one was so overrated imo which was a real shame as I thought I would love it. I should probably give it anofher go sometime but it felt so generic i would often actually fall asleep playing it lol

It's a cross gen game, they need to be able to downgrade it enough to still okay on a base PS4. Considering that limitation it's looking really nice. I still think Ratchet & Clank looks better personally - and it not having that limitation helps.
Yep Ratchet looks better because of how much activity is going on on screen. Thats missing in a cross gen game like here.

BeardGawd

Banned
First 7 minutes were boring but it started to pick up during the Mammoth fight... Game looks great underwater and the stream/creek looked great. Special effects for the mammoth fight were nice.

The grass/hair clipping all over the place are really distracting to me though. Looks like a great high fidelity cross-gen game.

Any word on native res and frame rate?

THEAP99

Banned
Yeah, I was wrong about the visuals. Overall, game is looking good. Just hope they smoothing some things up like some of the cut scene transitions and other animations. Ultimately though it'll come down to if the open will be generic again

Shamelessly stolen from Theory but still looks amazing.
I love how the impact of the bodies and weapons dig holes in the sand. That's an amazing small detail.

Also people complaining about hair clipping. Seriously? LOL that's going to be a bother while playing the game?

Yeah, I was wrong about the visuals. Overall, game is looking good. Just hope they smoothing some things up like some of the cut scene transitions and other animations. Ultimately though it'll come down to if the open will be generic again
There is absolutely no reason for the open world to be boring/generic/stale or whatever the hell people are labelling it.

So far we already have different ways of traversing the world and an entire new underwater world complete with water currents and machines. There's still heaps more the developer is holding back and rightly so. This was just a snippet of the game world. We have not seen everything so for people to judge this game based solely on this 14 minutes gameplay trailer is just pure idiocy.
This could have been any game from PC, Xbox or Nintendo and I for sure as hell wouldn't be passing judgement on it because developers never show everything in the first gameplay teasers.

Last edited:
Are we all forgetting how good the original looked ? Tbh this was okayish , character model looks great everything else is basically horizon just a little prettier
Yeah, it's hard to blow away the first game as it already looks amazing. I do think this is held back a bit by the PS4 though.

Anyway it doesn't matter to me, I wouldn't play it no matter how good the visuals are.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
My dude doesn't understand the difference between a mission in an open world map and open world exploration. Obviously they're gonna show a scripted mission with a boss at the end instead of a guy running around for 20 minutes.
If anything you thinking the open world she was traversing was actually linear is a testament to how impressive the map design is.

Disagree.

This is how you showcase open world design in a trailer. This game came out in...2013.

If Guerilla went that route with Forbidden West, I'd be way more excited.

Horizon isn't that though. It's more focused on telling a story and guiding you down paths it wants. Not an ideal open world game to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom