• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Burning Shores coming to PS5 on April 19

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I’m not overly bothered by it but that’s a poor point. After a 1000 years the Hollywood sign shouldn’t be standing like this, specially when most other stronger structures are gone. It’s about consistency, doesn’t matter if it’s a fantasy universe filled with robot dinosaurs.
Jesus, you don't think maybe just maybe the original sign came down at some point in the distant past and was replaced just before the apocalypse with a stronger more resilient one or SOMETHING CAUSE ITS A VIDEO GAME

Business

By that logic half the landmarks you see in the game wouldn’t be standing still, and that wouldn’t make for a very interesting gme.

I'm sure if you want you are able to see that there is a difference between the golden gate and the hollywood sign when it would come to standing the test of time for a 1000 years. Anyway, it doesn't matter, it's not like the lore is deepest thing either, it's ok.

Jesus, you don't think maybe just maybe the original sign came down at some point in the distant past and was replaced just before the apocalypse with a stronger more resilient one or SOMETHING CAUSE ITS A VIDEO GAME

LOL no I didn't think of that no... but if that was a joke post I tip my hat to you.

Skifi28

Any big spoilers?
A few

iyOqRR7.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
These clowns must be the only streamers using the 30fps mode. God it looks so shit like that.
It factually looks better in 30fps mode. In fact, all the trailers and promotional videos that people have been going gaga over have literally all been captured at 30fps.

If Guerilla chooses to show off the game using quality mode, then thats the superior way to play.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

It factually looks better in 30fps mode. In fact, all the trailers and promotional videos that people have been going gaga over have literally all been captured at 30fps.

If Guerilla chooses to show off the game using quality mode, then thats the superior way to play.

It doesn't look better with YouTube compression with effective resolution of like 720p!!!

Guerrilla shows the game how Sony PR douchebags think it should be, and they're fucking idiots, so.

small_law

Wait did this go live right now? I pre-loaded I think yesterday. I thought it was locked out until tomorrow. Can I play it right now?

Edit: should have saw that everyone was posting previews. My bad.

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

Seeing its still using the base PS4 L.O.D. Code Shows why this project is only $20 bucks, they really didn’t optimize the code for PS5.

TrebleShot

Why were people expecting some spectacular upgrade lol isn’t this DLC for the base game?! I think it’s more about set pieces etc why it’s PS5 only.

Why were people expecting some spectacular upgrade lol isn’t this DLC for the base game?! I think it’s more about set pieces etc why it’s PS5 only.
Yup, always healthy to keep expectations in check but we know why it was PS5 exclusive anyway and was mainly because of the Horus Boss Fight and the cloud rendering tech.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Because Sony teased it?

"One of our key priorities with Horizon games is to add a ton of detail and richness to our environments. On Horizon Forbidden West, everything we added or increased was something we’d need to have a plan around how to optimize for PS4 as well. On Burning Shores, since we can just focus on PS5, we’ve been able to charge forward and we’re really excited about what we’ve been able to pull off in creating this stunning post-post-apocalyptic version of Los Angeles."

But I don't see no upgrade.

Dolodolo

Because Sony teased it?

"One of our key priorities with Horizon games is to add a ton of detail and richness to our environments. On Horizon Forbidden West, everything we added or increased was something we’d need to have a plan around how to optimize for PS4 as well. On Burning Shores, since we can just focus on PS5, we’ve been able to charge forward and we’re really excited about what we’ve been able to pull off in creating this stunning post-post-apocalyptic version of Los Angeles."

[/URL]

Dude, the battle with Horus is already on YouTube
Look at this and then don't ask stupid questions about why this DLC is exclusive to PS5

Looks better in screenshots yeah. Performance mode looks better for actually playing the game. You lose detail moving the camera with 30fps.

TrebleShot

Because Sony teased it?

[/URL]

You read that and assumed graphical upgrade over the base game? How would that logically work.

You play in the original area then when you go to the new area you suddenly get bigger fidelity character models etc? It’s pretty obvious it’s in regards to what they can do as in set pieces, flying areas, swimming areas, fauna etc.

It all uses the same engine and visual fidelity as the base game , just different areas and contextual situations.

I think everyone knew that?

Hunnybun

It definitely does

The overall fidelity and the sheer amount of shit going on during fights - enemy numbers, particle effects, explosions, destruction, trails from projectiles etc - actually reminds me of that original demo of Anthem from years back. Nothing like that was ever achieved on last gen, but I'd say this is up there.

M1987

Apparently the base game got the DLC graphics update through a patch,but I haven't bought the DLC yet so I can't check

You gain detail in fidelity. You lose smoothness.
Yeah to me I’m not seeing that fidelity unless I’m standing still or taking screenshots. It’s all lost on me during gameplay. IQ looks much better in motion in performance mode. I don’t think there’s a single game I’ve played this gen that I’ve played gameplay in fidelity modes. Only for screenshots.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Dude, the battle with Horus is already on YouTube
Look at this and then don't ask stupid questions about why this DLC is exclusive to PS5
Dude chill out. I never said "why is this exclusive to PS5?". I said I'm disappointed by the pop in (post number 170, just 9 post before yours...) and then I responded to someone asking why are people expecting an upgrade.
That battle is looking great tho.
You read that and assumed graphical upgrade over the base game? How would that logically work.

You play in the original area then when you go to the new area you suddenly get bigger fidelity character models etc? It’s pretty obvious it’s in regards to what they can do as in set pieces, flying areas, swimming areas, fauna etc.

It all uses the same engine and visual fidelity as the base game , just different areas and contextual situations.

I think everyone knew that?
They said there will be an upgrade on the graphics, but so far I don't see it that's it. And don't play the dumb, of course I'm not expecting drastic changes but at least less pop in.
But maybe it is me indeed and everyone else was expecting the same game visually.

Tommi84

Is it already live?
Depends where you live. In EU it's live since 25min, in UK it will be live in 35. Let's put it like this, the game launches at midnight 18/19.04 ;)

Also, the pop-in are horrible, smoothness, even in performance mode seems strange and the pixels of the clouds are a size of a bird. Will wait foe some performance/smoothing patch.

But the old character from the DLC? Chef's kiss

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Hopefully this unlocks 9pm pst.

Spent the last week reacquainting myself with the game just so I wouldn't be fumbling about with the dlc.

Forgot how much I enjoy the ganeplay loop and how disappointing aloy and a lot of the dialogue is.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Game looks absolutely insane. I think the IQ might be better than the base game. I played it before downloading the update and dlc, and i think it looks cleaner post patch. Playing the 40 fps mode.

The pop-in the intro though. Really poor showing for what should be a pristine first impression. Can’t believe they shipped it like this. Saw some pop in driving around in the boat. I had hoped that a year of development and ps5 only focus would’ve helped them fix the pop-in issues while flying but they have only gotten worse. The boat looks amazing but the moment you turn the camera around the game loads stuff right in front of you.

The islands don’t have much going on. I explored a few before taking on the first mission and it’s just some new dlc shards and chunks you can find while exploring. It’s disappointing that they haven’t learned anything from games like God of war. There is very little incentive to explore these gorgeous worlds.

Very impressive destruction in the first fight. I was surprised to see those buildings completely absent from the base game.

Mephisto40

Is it just me, or do the graphics in the DLC look considerably better than the base game?

I'd been playing the base game yesterday just to familarise myself with the controls again, the DLC dropped, and my jaw hit the floor when you first enter the new zone at how much nicer it looked

I'm guessing with it being PS5 only they've been able to push the boat out a little more

Last edited:

GymWolf

Did they fucking hired sam witwer for the londra character? It looked like his face in the hologram that sylens show you in the beginning...

I didn't noticed much graphical difference with the vanilla game except for the clouds tbh, if there is, it must be very subtle for now, in the very first fight you have more destructible stuff but it still breaks exactly like the first game with the small pieces of rock disappering after 2 seconds.

The dlc is clearly not made from the ground up on ps5 (dah).

I hate that i can't switch from very hard to ultra hard from the menu, this is bullshit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom