• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Burning Shores coming to PS5 on April 19

kyliethicc

Today we’re thrilled to announce Burning Shores, our expansion to Horizon Forbidden West which sees Aloy pursue a sinister threat in the untamed wilds of Los Angeles, now a treacherous volcanic archipelago.

She will be traveling to a dangerous new region south of the Tenakth Clan Lands, featuring a compelling storyline following from where Horizon Forbidden West ended, new characters, adventures, and more - some details which we look forward to sharing with you very soon!

Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores is coming to PlayStation®5 consoles on 19 April 2023.

Our creative vision for the Burning Shores is an ambitious expansion which will take Aloy to the ruins of Los Angeles. It's an overgrown and fractured city that can be fully explored via the water and flying on the back of a Sunwing. A massive machine threat lurks in its shadows – a huge challenge that Aloy must overcome by using all of her skills and abilities. To achieve this grand vision technically and creatively, we’ve made the difficult decision to focus all our efforts on making an incredible experience exclusively for the PlayStation®5 console.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yes

"To achieve this grand vision technically and creatively, we’ve made the difficult decision to focus all our efforts on making an incredible experience exclusively for the PlayStation 5 console."

SlimySnake SlimySnake
OMG OMG OMG

I asked for this just today!!!!

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford Another one.

Now release a Spiderman 2 trailer and I will die a happy man.

Last edited:

CamHostage

OMG OMG OMG

I asked for this just today!!!!

The monster at the end is cool, and the clouds are fluffy; otherwise, the engine seems pretty much the same so far. (And its destruction at the end is probably CG/prerigged.) Will be interesting to see where they push things on this after cutting off last-gen support, or if they are just streamlining to get this out.

SlimySnake

The monster at the end is cool, and the clouds are fluffy; otherwise, the engine seems pretty much the same so far. (And its destruction at the end is probably CG/prerigged.) Will be interesting to see where they push things on this after cutting off last-gen support, or if they are just streamlining to get this out.
its probably the latter, but its exciting nonetheless. they might be able to do things they couldnt do on the PS4.

The foliage looks the same which is disappointing but the game looks better than 99% of the games at the show.

kyliethicc

its probably the latter, but its exciting nonetheless. they might be able to do things they couldnt do on the PS4.

The foliage looks the same which is disappointing but the game looks better than 99% of the games at the show.

"Our creative vision for the Burning Shores is an ambitious expansion which will take Aloy to the ruins of Los Angeles. It's an overgrown and fractured city that can be fully explored via the water and flying on the back of a Sunwing. A massive machine threat lurks in its shadows – a huge challenge that Aloy must overcome by using all of her skills and abilities."

SlimySnake

"Our creative vision for the Burning Shores is an ambitious expansion which will take Aloy to the ruins of Los Angeles. It's an overgrown and fractured city that can be fully explored via the water and flying on the back of a Sunwing. A massive machine threat lurks in its shadows – a huge challenge that Aloy must overcome by using all of her skills and abilities."
Yeah, I saw that, but its just PR.

Game sales were 70-30 split between the PS5 and PS4 despite PS5 version being free. I bet 90% of the players were on PS4 and they were like fuck it.

Will need to see more. The big strider fight finally happening could be a sign its PS5 only. If they let us fly in the clouds then that could also be a PS5 SSD feature.

kyliethicc

d38rRHl.jpg

uNcfEw3.jpg

kyliethicc

Yeah, I saw that, but its just PR.

Game sales were 70-30 split between the PS5 and PS4 despite PS5 version being free. I bet 90% of the players were on PS4 and they were like fuck it.

Will need to see more. The big strider fight finally happening could be a sign its PS5 only. If they let us fly in the clouds then that could also be a PS5 SSD feature.
I'm just glad after seeing these huge machines in both games we finally get to fight one. And it wouldn't work as they wanted on PS4, so thats next gen by definition.

CamHostage

I'm looking more at Death Stranding 2 to see what the current state of Decima Engine is now that H:FW is shipped and Guerrilla has run its engine a project over the hardware. But it'd be nice if this DLC offered some cool new tech to see. Horizon 1 DLC introduced their new snow tech so this would be in keeping with their sneak-peek approach.

Eh, yeah, that's worth reading again. Looks like they'll do more in the sky than just traversal, there's fights up there (albeit it's an enemy on the same Sunwing) and the cloud tech is in full force, so air stuff should be cool.

That said, unless that gigantic mountain-sized beast really does some cool shit like wrecking the map and having a playable surface ala GoW3, I don't really know what the size of this thing changes of the engine? I'd be surprised if destruction actually improves in this DLC since that's never been the strong suit of Decima, but maybe they could push their engine with improvements there.

Last edited:
I need to play this game it sounds like this expansion will be a lot bigger than Frozen Wilds the trailer looks incredible

CamHostage

4 Chan leak got at least one thing right...

It was leaked practically when the game came out, as there was an area referred to and blocked from access as Burning Shores. That and Crash had buzz beforehand, so I assume that's where the "leaker" pulled the BS from. A solid guess on their part, at least.

digdug2

No ps4 version, thank god.
Agreed 100%. I'm glad to see that they are starting to move away from PS4 development. It's been 2 years since release and so many people are tired of these developers making a game for PS4 and then adding PS5 enhancements. Once more games start being developed strictly for the new gen, we'll be able to see what these new consoles can really do.

Looks like a playing area on top of this thing?

For the love of god please tell me fighting this thing means you need to climb up around it (Shadow of the Colossus style) to kill it 😱

I want to see more giant enemies like this in games. There's no reason why they can't create a scenario where you have to use all kinds of movement traversal around the creature to kill it. Stepping up / down, hurdling, mantling, climbing, swinging, flying. Let me think and use all those methods to defeat a boss like this.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Hardwarezone:
Are there any noticeable differences between the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game? Has this cross-generation development process proven to be limiting in any way?
Mathijs de Jonge:
I don't think the cross-generation development was limiting in any way.
Source

Some months later ...

Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores is coming to PlayStation®5 consoles on 19 April 2023.

AylmVr1.jpg

So the game was limited in favor of the PS4 version after all?
There is no other reason not to release the DLC on the last-gen otherwise.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Agreed 100%. I'm glad to see that they are starting to move away from PS4 development. It's been 2 years since release and so many people are tired of these developers making a game for PS4 and then adding PS5 enhancements. Once more games start being developed strictly for the new gen, we'll be able to see what these new consoles can really do.
It still not gonna be as good looking as horizon 3, but it is a step in the right direction.

Top Bottom