• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Burning Shores coming to PS5 on April 19

arnold schwarzenegger smiling GIF

its a free upgrade

kyliethicc

Making the DLC PS5 only is very weird when the game launched on PS4. I wonder what they plan to do with the DLC by making it PS5 only.

"Our creative vision for the Burning Shores is an ambitious expansion which will take Aloy to the ruins of Los Angeles. It's an overgrown and fractured city that can be fully explored via the water and flying on the back of a Sunwing. A massive machine threat lurks in its shadows..."

They probably just want the freedom to not have to worry about the game fitting into 5GB of RAM or tanking framerate on PS4. Slow streaming, etc.

3liteDragon

Is it actually PS5 only? Based on what they did with GT7 I'll believe it when I see it.
To achieve this grand vision technically and creatively, we’ve made the difficult decision to focus all our efforts on making an incredible experience exclusively for the PlayStation 5 console.
They’re explicitly stating they made that decision so it’s most likely PS5-only. Only the showed the PS5 logo in the trailer too.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah fuck all those people who bought it on the PS4. Damn peasants.
Amen. Fuck ps4 owners. The gen ended in 2020. They need to stop being so fucking entitled. We are literally in the 9th gen. If someone still thinks they are owed games after a gen has ended they need to go play mobile games there deserve.
"Our creative vision for the Burning Shores is an ambitious expansion which will take Aloy to the ruins of Los Angeles. It's an overgrown and fractured city that can be fully explored via the water and flying on the back of a Sunwing. A massive machine threat lurks in its shadows..."

They probably just want the freedom to not have to worry about the game fitting into 5GB of RAM or tanking framerate on PS4. Slow streaming, etc.
The flying has to be faster. It was basically gliding in the first game.

I saw some pop in in the trailer which is also disappointing but the flying was much faster in several scenes so it’s possible the pop in was due to the faster traversal.

I also didn’t see a lot of the fake fog that enveloped the base game. It’s possible that they are just letting the gpu render a massive draw distance.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I just recently finished Forbidden West on PS5 and fuck me did I not love it, everything about the game just gelled with me and those graphics... Man, each zone was so distinctive from one another with some insane visuals that I couldn't wait to explore every inch of it and with fast travel being near instant it certainly made zipping back and forth around the map seemless unlike other games where it's an absolute pain due to loading times, anyways just read about their being an expansion and I couldn't be fucking happier, especially considering the locale and PS5 exclusive so here's hoping they ramp up the visuals even more as GG are truly the best in that department pipping ND imo

SABRE220

A step in the right direction, finally baby steps towards leaving the old gen behind. Sadly this still isn't a completely next-gen experience(by guerillas standards) the way the current horizon engine/assets were designed probably means its not going to take full advantage of the new machine. We will have to wait for kojima or the next horizon for the engines showstopper or maybe even a kz2 remake(a man can dream)
Fun Crying GIF

Last edited:

M1987

I just recently finished Forbidden West on PS5 and fuck me did I not love it, everything about the game just gelled with me and those graphics... Man, each zone was so distinctive from one another with some insane visuals that I couldn't wait to explore every inch of it and with fast travel being near instant it certainly made zipping back and forth around the map seemless unlike other games where it's an absolute pain due to loading times, anyways just read about their being an expansion and I couldn't be fucking happier, especially considering the locale and PS5 exclusive so here's hoping they ramp up the visuals even more as GG are truly the best in that department pipping ND imo
I don't see how they could possibly ramp up the visuals from the base game.I have played over 100hrs,and I'm still amazed by the graphics every time I put the game on

Synless

Source

Some months later ...

AylmVr1.jpg

So the game was limited in favor of the PS4 version after all?
There is no other reason not to release the DLC on the last-gen otherwise.
His answer is 100% truthful to the question asked. It was shit question that allowed for that answer to be made to begin with.

People have forgotten how to ask hard questions in fear that it makes people uncomfortable…. especially in corporate related interviews where there can be zero chance of making a developer look bad.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I don't see how they could possibly ramp up the visuals from the base game.I have played over 100hrs,and I'm still amazed by the graphics every time I put the game on
Tbh I don't see how either, the cauldrons where all incredible and such a break from the natural environments, it's hard to imagine if they can buy with the PS4 not holding them back surely they can innovate in other ways, who knows

nowhat

Tbh I don't see how either, the cauldrons where all incredible and such a break from the natural environments, it's hard to imagine if they can buy with the PS4 not holding them back surely they can innovate in other ways, who knows
WRT the visuals I'm good, the game looks amazing (especially after the performance mode was fixed). But in Frozen Wilds Guerrilla improved the snow deformation a ton (which is only available in the DLC area) - in a similar fashion, I'd appreciate more destructible/interactive environments, and I can see PS4 holding the engine back in that regard.

Crayon

Damn I kinda want to dip back into fw. These open world games a really long for me so I mostly don't miss dlc but I eventually played all of zd and frozen wilds so maybe one day iss get to this.

I knew this was coming - I'm sure everyone was expecting an expansion anyway - because the Collector's Edition has a second empty disc holder inside the case! Hope they don't release two expansions...

Kerotan

Slow down, I haven't even played the first or the second game yet.......need to find more time to actually play games..
Don't forget the frozen wilds DLC 😂

I need to finish god of war I'm about 25 hours into it but then I need to get back to forbidden west. I'm only 10 hours into it.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Finished the base game a couple days ago and I'm looking forward to the dlc. Wonder if they're going to dial back some stuff because I put about 80 hours into the game and was burnt out by the end. I didn't even bother putting in the effort to upgrade the legendaries due to just how annoying some of the requirements were and I just stayed with my epic items.

At the same time, I fully admit it's my own damned fault for the burnout by spending so much time trying to complete everything they offer in the game. Still haven't done all of it yet :p

FeralEcho

Yeah fuck all those people who bought it on the PS4. Damn peasants.
Honestly...Yeah,fuck them! They had 10 years worth of games,If they want this dlc they need to get the new console that has had it's potential bogged down by their entitlement for 2 years already,they got more than they deserved already,what's next feeling sorry for PS3 only gamers out there who can't enjoy the newest God of War? Actually you can't be sorry about that,PS3 was an actual generation of gaming not some cross-gen hybrid monster like the PS4-PS5 era is where every PS5 game looks like a touched up PS4 game so I'm glad we're moving past bullshit PS4 games in fucking 2023 so this generation ca-n finally begin after 3 years of fps and resolution enhancements.

Interested to know why this is PS5 only. Maybe this is the development that’ll shift over Decima to PS5/PC and leave legacy hardware behind so things will be more optimised.

Mr Hyde

I couldn't be more excited for this. Absolutely loved Forbidden West. It was a much better sequel than GoW Ragnarok ever was. Will be there day 1 for this expansion. I hope it's a meaty one. Guerilla going PS5 only is gonna be a real treat.

Business

Yeah, so unrealistic for a hollywood sign to still be standing in world filled with robot dinosaurs, so unbelievable of them

I’m not overly bothered by it but that’s a poor point. After a 1000 years the Hollywood sign shouldn’t be standing like this, specially when most other stronger structures are gone. It’s about consistency, doesn’t matter if it’s a fantasy universe filled with robot dinosaurs.

Base game is already way too long. Just like God of War Ragnarok. Hard pass for me. I don't have the time nor the patience for these overblown boring ass games. Everything is Assassin's Creed nowadays.

Last edited:
I’m not overly bothered by it but that’s a poor point. After a 1000 years the Hollywood sign shouldn’t be standing like this, specially when most other stronger structures are gone. It’s about consistency, doesn’t matter if it’s a fantasy universe filled with robot dinosaurs.

By that logic half the landmarks you see in the game wouldn’t be standing still, and that wouldn’t make for a very interesting gme.

No ps4 is a great thing. Don't expect it to be night and day better than the base game though: the engine still is cross-gen at its core, even though it scales up really, really well.

Can't wait to see what they can do while building a game for ps5 only from the ground up.

Top Bottom