• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5 is better than Cyberpunk 2077 (Parts I and II)

Mato

Cyberpunk has the edge over GTAV for me. GTAV is certainly more polished. But Night City is so much better than Los Santos. They don't even compare. I also prefer first person.

RPS37

I’m kind of in a rock and a hard place with these two games.
I just started CP2077 and I’m beginning to see the light on waiting for the next gen patch.
OTOH, I’m pretty far in GTAV, but the image quality and graphics in general make me not want to finish.

playing both on XSX through BC.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I will say there are different games with different strengths and weaknesses:
- GTA 5 has a much better feeling of exploring a living, breathing world (same with RDR2). You encounter more traffic and NPC's, there are more random scenes on the streets or small things which may surprise you, the police works wayyyy better in GTA.
- Cyberpunk has a much more complex and more interesting looking city (imo). The quest design is definitely better (GTA can be very linear and you're presented with a mission failed screen if you go off the script) and the storyline (so far) is much more interesting.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
85/100 at Opencritic PC/PS4/XB1

89/100 at Metacritic PC
51/100 at Metacritic XB1
50/100 at Metacritic PS4

Woggleman

CP2077 has a host of issues that need fixing but not being GTA is not one of them. I am a firm believer that every game should be judged on it's own merits and not compared to another game by another developer. CP also doesn't have any character nearly as bad as Trevor. So far the story is much better than GTA V.

DonJorginho

Banned
Cyberpunk has the better gameplay, characters, writing, freedom, weapon design, soundtrack, story, open world in terms of verticality and density.

GTA V is overrated and RDR2 was a much better title, if you compared Cyberpunk with RDR2, it would be a much better competition.

Denton

Cyberpunk is better than GTA5. But GTA5 has more reactive open world and simulation than Cyberpunk, that's true. If that's be all end all of videogames for you, then yes GTA is better for you.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Just because you like Cyberpunk doesn't make it immune to criticism.
The style of game are very similar and I think its a fair comparison. Especially considering GTA V is what, 7 or 8 years old now?

Trickster

GTA5 does a lot of stuff better than 2077...But it's still a much more boring game to me. Boring mission designs that haven't changed since GTA3, boring story, boring setting.

bender

What time is it?
Cyberpunk has the better gameplay, characters, writing, freedom, weapon design, soundtrack, story, open world in terms of verticality and density.

GTA V is overrated and RDR2 was a much better title, if you compared Cyberpunk with RDR2, it would be a much better competition.

Clearing the low bar that is GTAV's writing, characters and story isn't much of an accomplishment and I'm not sure it's a slam dunk for 2077 either way, but maybe that comes down to the voice cast which is something R* obviously has the advantage in. 2077 certainly doesn't live up to Witcher 3 in those areas which is disappointing as it is what really set that game apart.

Kacho

GTA5 does a lot of stuff better than 2077...But it's still a much more boring game to me. Boring mission designs that haven't changed since GTA3, boring story, boring setting.
Agreed. On a technical level, GTAV is mind-blowing. There’s so much attention to detail. The problem is there’s nothing fun to do outside of the main missions. You have this beautifully crafted world and no real reason to explore it.

Cyberpunk might be basic in terms of open world design, but there’s a metric fuckton of stuff to do, and a lot of the side jobs are good. With the right build you can super jump throughout the city, rip off doors and eviscerate enemies with blades. It’s fantastic in that regard. Like Deus Ex on steroids.

phant0m

Mission design, story, and dialogue are in a completely different tier in CP. I will concede that everything about vehicles is better in GTA V though, the models, handling, physics, etc. To be fair though, you spend a LOT more time driving in GTA than CP.

Mozzarella

I disagree, but that is because i like RPG games.
If i want to mess around GTA is definitely the choice to play, i like to take a bus and park it in the middle of a highway (Horizontally), this will make a fun shitshow and i recommend you do it.
Things like that are not available in Cyberpunk.
Cyberpunk does have better gameplay though, and better quests and characters as well. The Combination of better gameplay and writing is too strong for GTA to beat even with its much better A.I and World interactivity and Driving.
Art Direction and Soundtrack are also another two things i prefer in Cyberpunk, the world looks more pretty due to these neon lights, and the music is really cool, it sets up the mood right. This Marcin guy is a very good composer tbh. Gotta give him credit, he always delivers.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Just a bit of speculation: Cyberpunk 2077 has been in development since like 2012-2013. GTA5 release in 2013 and within 1-2 year GTA online grew massively in popularity.
Cyberpunk was announced years before it actually entered production. It went in and out of preproduction while they worked on Witcher 3 but was completely stopped for like a year and rebooted when Blood and Wine shipped.

People have built up in their heads that they've been working on this game for 8 years but the version of the game we're playing started 4 years ago.

GTA5 actually had a longer dev cycle than Cyberpunk and that's with PS3/360-level assets.

Just some perspective.

giphy.gif

Last time I checked Rockstar didn't need to appoligies for a total train wreck of a launch on a new game they just put out.

SF Kosmo

Mission design, story, and dialogue are in a completely different tier in CP. I will concede that everything about vehicles is better in GTA V though, the models, handling, physics, etc. To be fair though, you spend a LOT more time driving in GTA than CP.
Yeah, GTA is like at least 2/3 a driving game, like it's in the title.

The car in Cyberpunk is Roach. Like it's mostly just how you get places.

MiguelItUp

Lol there are clearly people in this thread that hate CP:2077 and are clearly trying to relish in its negative press.

You don't like it, you don't like it. But comparing it to other games that are nothing like it (or VAGUELY) and are "better" is pretty silly to me, lol.

Especially when you're comparing a first go for a lot of these mechanics from CDPR, against a game from Rockstar whom are practically open-world gods for several years now.

That being said, I loved GTA V, especially at the time. But man, I really don't remember much about it at all as I beat it when it originally launched. I feel like I'm gonna remember quite a bit about CP:2077 over the years to come. I feel like more characters have been more memorable and likeable TBH.

When I think of GTA V I think of Trevor and Franklin's friend, and that's about it, lmao.

SF Kosmo

How were the cops and driving AI in Deus Ex?

This game is open world Deus Ex. There are barely any driving missions, pretty much all optional, and you spend like 0% of your time interacting with the police.

Police and cars are like most of the game in GTA. That's why they pay more attention to them.

GTA V is nowhere close since it's a 3rd person shooter game. Cyberpunk is a First Person Shooter, with next gen physics, Ray Tracing, Textures, DLSS etc.. Playing GTA V in FPS mode is like playing GTA San Andreas on Xbox Series X at 30fps.

R.I.P Last Gen Consoles. Cyberpunk is too demanding

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I find the comparison rather pointless. The games are different.. will appeal to different people based on those differences.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The only people who thought CP77 was trying to go for anything resembling GTAV are the folks who hyped themselves up to impossible levels expecting the gameplay to be markedly different tan TW3.

. . .that said the art direction for Night City completely blows GTAV out of the water.

A.Romero

I'm amazed that we can't enjoy games for what they are.

GTAV was fun, Cyberpunk is fun (I think, only played about 3 hours). They are different in many levels.

Saying Cyberpunk is crap just because crowds aren't as smart or polished as the GTAV ones is just as stupid as saying that GTAV is crap because the leveling system is magnitudes simpler than the one in Cyberpunk.

They have similarities but they are entirely different games.

Cyberpunk does have many flaws as a software product and GTAV is a very polished production that, as far as I remember, was much more expensive to make than Cyberpunk. Also, let's not forget there are FIVE mainline GTA games plus spinoffs. CDPR is a company with a much shorter trajectory.

Best part of all is we can play both, only one of them or neither. No problem.

Yoda

Most of the comparisons seems to focus on the driving experience/cops, which really isn't the selling point of CP. As another poster stated above me, the car is mainly the facilitate to get you from A -> B, not be a core mechanic of the game.

RockSt*r are the best in the business at these types of games and they seem to have good management on top.

Over 20 years they've perfected the genre. 2077 is not exactly the same of course, but it apes GTA in a lot of areas but can't pull it off as CDPR devs do not have the expertise yet.

It is kind of funny thinking about how MS thought they got a huge win when they money hatted console exclusive features and advertisements for Cyberpunk. I can't imagine that could have been cheap. Maybe they can get a refund too?

Guilty_AI

Most of the comparisons seems to focus on the driving experience/cops, which really isn't the selling point of CP. As another poster stated above me, the car is mainly the facilitate to get you from A -> B, not be a core mechanic of the game.
They just want reasons to shit on the game, no point in explaining whats obvious.

Top Bottom