• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5 is better than Cyberpunk 2077 (Parts I and II)

Mozzarella

I think Cyberpunk is better than GTA 5.
I can't make choices in GTA5 to change things, characters are shallow and uninteresting, there is no side quests to expand my relation with them, you cannot romance your partner too, and main quest consist of a bunch of heists that are logically impossible to pull off, which makes the writing to be cheap hollywood C grade action movie blockbuster Direct by Michael Bay.
Mission design is terrible, it has not evolved since GTA Vice City from 2003, you go to point A watch cutscene ride in a line to point B and shoot a bunch of baddies and then mission complete, if you try any different approach or unique playstyle the mission will fail. There is not variety of options to tackle missions and there is no different missions at all, all of them boil down to fighting a bunch of bad guys. Interactions with the city are cool i guess but they get boring so fast and they are shallow anyway so who cares. Themes are irrelevant and there is nothing interesting being discussed in the story too. Except maybe Michael part with his family issues (i guess that was okay)
Gameplay itself is very limited and weapons all feel similar, except for explosives most guns are mediocre to play with. Melee is basic and dull as well.
Art direction wise it looks bland like any open world city, i might even go outside, why should i look at los santos when i can go to LA myself. Soundtrack is mediocre too, there is no atmosphere at all. Its a big city but you barely enter any building. You cannot take skills or upgrade perks so my playthrough will be similar to everyone else. Exploration is bad and you dont find items or anything worth collecting at all. Also the women and men in Cyberpunk look prettier than GTA characters, the facial animations and details are better. GTA always feels like a teenager and kid franchise, Mafia (2002) made by Czech developers was more mature than GTA, its the GTA adult version if anybody wants to check it out, though the game had low budget and now its outdated. I dont know how good is the new version though.

If you think this take is biased then hopefully you now understand why the opposite takes are too..

I'm Hopeful that once Cyberpunk gets some fixes and patches and once it also gets bunch of add-ons and the big DLC they promised then it will be even better.

Hudo

How about Rockstar doing a Blade Runner game?

EDIT: Not related to my comment (which also isn't really related to the topic's statement, tbh) but I found it funny:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
wrong. cyberpunk is not trying to be open world sandbox. the same way AC HZD GoT and spiderman are not trying to be open world sandbox. you can compare it though. unfair but people can do whatever they want.
so then they should remove shitty police system at all and make it all more like LA noire if it's not true open world

Banned
if GTA 5 wasn't such a shitty game with sone of the worst controls ever in a videogame, you might have a point.

if GTA 5 didn't have the whacky physics and AI interactions it would have literally nothing going for it.

Spokker

every single game has to be just like GTAV

i mean have you seen the cop Ai in Demon's Souls? utter shit unfinished game

“We believe that having a world you can interact with and which reacts to your presence is a key part of a good open-world experience,” Tost said.

MMaRsu

Banned
Hmm dev with 15 years experience in open world games

Vs

Dev with only one open world game under their belt

Who would do it better I figure DURRRR

MMaRsu

Banned
it does not matter. The budget matters and the promises matter.
Besides.. witcher 3 was "open world"
Yes, Witcher 3 was CDPR first open world game, compared to 15 years of experience making open world titles they have at Rockstar (plus a vast amount of employees and studios )

Ofcourse that matters lmao

Last edited:

perkelson

Hmm dev with 15 years experience in open world games

Vs

Dev with only one open world game under their belt

Who would do it better I figure DURRRR

CDPR did it better.

People focused on Bugs first few weeks and some stupid points where they missed elephant in room which is gameplay itself.

GTA5 literally is empty game. There is nothing to do other than mowing peds and chase with police. ITs missions are also poor. Writing is quite good and there are some choices but it is completely linear game that always leaves you with "failed" when you do something not how developers intended. Those whole buddy system is completely empty and doesn't give you anything. Eating some food with Reves and his family in that sidequest in 77 was actually meaningful.

That being said GTA5 has nice physics with peds and its euphoria engine.

Aside from that it has litearlly nothing to it. Driving is worse, gunplay is abysmal compared to 77, no choices, no gameplay styles, 0 content to do in game outside of missions and city itself is basically wasteland compared to that from 77, basically no interiors, there are like 2-3 bars in whole map where 77 has 3-4 in just one part of town.

Iorveth

Banned
Haven't played Cyberpunk yet, but it doesn't surprise me the emergent systems are bad/non-existing. Anyone who played CDPRs previous games expected that.
The reality is that you should always expect a game similar to the previous work of those same developers. Cyberpunk has the same direction that the Witcher series had, and features major improvements in so many areas (traversal, combat, open world activities etc.)

It was never advertised or even mentioned as a sandbox game. The people seething at the game are the ones too ignorant of this medium, and likely grew up playing Rockstar games which are soulless empty husks that only get the physics related aspects right. Everything else in their games is atrocious. Cyberpunk was never going to cater to the same playerbase of mostly 12 year olds.

Evilms

Banned
Part 3

8 years development & next gen open world revolution

DarkBelatedLiger-small.gif

Woggleman

GTA V does have better NPC AI but that is pretty much it. If they GTA IV or RDR2 they would have had a point but GTA V doesn't have a single memorable character while Cyberpunk has plenty. Cyberpunk has good missions while GTA V only has the jewelry store heist Open world games are more than NPC AI though CDPR would do themselves right to improve it in future patches.

Airbus Jr

Banned
CDPR did it better.

People focused on Bugs first few weeks and some stupid points where they missed elephant in room which is gameplay itself.

GTA5 literally is empty game. There is nothing to do other than mowing peds and chase with police. ITs missions are also poor. Writing is quite good and there are some choices but it is completely linear game that always leaves you with "failed" when you do something not how developers intended. Those whole buddy system is completely empty and doesn't give you anything. Eating some food with Reves and his family in that sidequest in 77 was actually meaningful.

Aside from that it has litearlly nothing to it. Driving is worse, gunplay is abysmal compared to 77, no choices, no gameplay styles, 0 content to do in game outside of missions and city itself is basically wasteland compared to that from 77, basically no interiors, there are like 2-3 bars in whole map where 77 has 3-4 in just one part of town.

This

At first....i thought GTAV was better...( more polished and less bug at launch)

But the more you got into CP77....you know its the better game overall..

It has so many layers and depth that the GTAV simply cant offer...

oagboghi2

Game should be more advertised as Deus Ex spiritual succesor, than some open world GTA type of game, it's really not that. It's probably closer to what Mafia: DE is doing then to GTA. Which I welcomed, but there are a lot of elements missing to make the world and whole game better. Why the fuck no music outside of the vehicle? WHY? And that's like only like 10% of my complains about being imerssive, the interaction even with story characters is "woody" at best. Also why even have face, if you don't see it.

Also if you are naked, you wear underwear and shit like that. It's breaking my adventures : D
It’s these little nitpick “Complaints” that make me not take these type of “such and such is better than cyberpunk” arguments seriously

Cyberpunk shits all over Rockstar games in writing, characters, quest design and combat. This ain't even up for debate. GTA V is a formulaic, hollow, linear game with linear missions, and terrible combat that hasn't changed at all since GTA 3. It also ran and looked like shit on PS3 at release and GTA Online was broken worse than anything in Cyberpunk. Rockstar pays a ton of attention to sound and music yet routinely puts out games with guns that sound like they're squirting out piss.

If you're playing a CDPR game for sandbox dicking around, you're an idiot and it's your fault you bought the wrong game. If you're buying a game so you can stalk an npc and see how they go about their day, you're odd to say the least and really need to re-examine your priorities on what's important in a game.

Do your homework, don't pre-order games if you are on a Sony console. Get mad at them because they're anti-consumer with no refunds for games. How in the world are you okay with that?! Stop buying anti-consumer console products until things change. But that would require actually standing up for something and we know gamers have a backbone as strong as a wet noodle.

Uh, the world does react to you. Multiple times in quests the world does react to you. It's way more subtle than say Mass Effect's choose A to kill or B to save. It's ripples but subtlety is something many gamers are terrible at noticing. But all the shithead conmen Youtubers, cashing in on a hatetrain spearheaded by people who haven't even played the game, conveniently forget about that.

All the complaints about "lies and promises" come off like fucking babies. Anything to keep the cheap clickbait articles and videos going in the name of $$$.

"B-but they promised!" Jesus christ...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Entroyp

Are both games comparable? I feel like GTA doesn’t take itself seriously and it’s about goofing around (not a bad thing in my opinion)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mission design is terrible, it has not evolved since GTA Vice City from 2003, you go to point A watch cutscene ride in a line to point B and shoot a bunch of baddies and then mission complete, if you try any different approach or unique playstyle the mission will fail. There is not variety of options to tackle missions and there is no different missions at all, all of them boil down to fighting a bunch of bad guys.
Yeah, same story in RDR2, as well. I still loved it, but I hope one day Rockstar can find a way to sort of merge the dynamic and reactive nature of their open world designs with actual story missions.

vpance

Are both games comparable? I feel like GTA doesn’t take itself seriously and it’s about goofing around (not a bad thing in my opinion)

It’s not about the theme it’s just about how both are open world games that take place in a city. What your expectations are because of this point is up to you.

Going into the release many people including myself were telling people this wasn’t going to be a cyberpunk GTA. But no one expected the OW aspects of it to be as far off as it ended up being.

Patrick S.

Banned
CDPR did it better.

Sir, English language uses articles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_(grammar)

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I feel like some of you were playing a different game. Once you get past the impressive number of NPCs that do nothing, Cyberpunk open world is barren, and 90% of the time it’s better to just fast travel than explore. The game would have been better served as a story based RPG with a hub system than an open world title.

The missions also have the same tired go to point A to activate voice over that prompts you to point B that we’ve seen in every single game over the last twenty years.

The game is Ok, but really feels like something I’ve played before a thousand times in a much better package.

Magog.

Banned
Watch Dogs Legion is better than either. The world is alive with NPCs and the combat is better and far more varied.

benzsaaa

Neo Member
a lot of people dislikes watch dogs legion, but even that game actually works, and has better physics and attention to detail than cyberpunk

Woggleman

GTA V can have the best AI ever created and it wouldn't change it's terrible campaign and the most unlikable characters I have ever seen in a game. Cyberpunk 2077 also doesn't have Trevor which makes it better right there.

ShivinN

Gold Member
Hasn't GTA had like 8 years to dial things in? I've probably purchased GTAV 3times (PS3, PS4, PC) but can't really get into it to it. Maybe it's just because I haven't gotten into the online portion but when I load it up most of the world seems to be pretty barren. A good portion of the buildings are plain skinned cubes. I think it's one of the greatest "sandboxes" out there. I really look forward to what RockStar comes out for GTA VI, but they seem to content with cashing in on microtransactions in GTA V for the time being. Cyberpunk certainly isn't where it should be and I'm looking forward to how they dial things in in the long run.

ShivinN

Gold Member
Comparing GTAV to Cyberpunk is kind of an apples and oranges comparison. They are "open world" and that's about all they have in common short of some very basic gameplay dynamics. You might as well compare GTA5 to AC, HZD, Watchdogs, or Fallout...well, I guess they both have cars and hookers...

Warablo

Such a weird comparison. Third person action adventure vs fps rpg. The only similar thing is open world and driving cars.

Woggleman

How come nobody gets at GTA V for the very low amount of interiors? People want to talk about a dead and lifeless city but Los Santos has just enough interiors that I can count with my hands. Why are there no complaints about a lifeless and dead city when most of the game is just buildings that can't be entered. You can actually own nightclubs and bars but you can't go inside. There is even a side mission where you go inside a club to steal a tooth from a member of Love Fist but you can never enter that club outside of the mission. Surely that counts as lifeless and dead.

Not making excuses for CP2077's flaws but be consistent. Apply standards equally.

Top Bottom